What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (2 Viewers)

.... or another L Treadwell.
That's a concern if he runs a 4.64 40 like Treadwell. He should run about 1/10 faster. I would say he's way more slow Brandon Marshall than slow Treadwell. I think Treadwell might not be getting the playbook or something. Pretty sure he has no idea what he's doing out there. I mean he couldn't even beat out Charles Johnson to get into the starting lineup a year ago.

Rotoworld:

SMU redshirt junior WR Courtland Sutton announced that he will declare for the NFL Draft.

Sutton (6'4/214) will likely hear his name called in Rd. 1 this spring barring a poor pre-draft process. He may have been a first-rounder had he declared after last season, but Sutton returned to post a 62-1017-12 line. Sutton isn't necessarily a polarizing prospect, but some like him more than others. B/R's Matt Miller ranks Sutton as the class' No. 2 receiver, but says Sutton has the highest ceiling of any WR in the crop. ESPN's Mel Kiper does not rank Sutton among his top-25 prospects, while Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline currently has a second-round grade on Sutton. "One aspect of his game that scouts would like to see him clean up is his route running; he’ll sometimes drift at the top of his routes and is light on his cuts," Pauline wrote. In his first 2018 mock draft, Todd McShay slotted Sutton No. 27 to the Jags. SI's Albert Breer recently reported that he'd heard from "many" evaluators that Sutton could be a top-10 pick. 

Dec 22 - 11:46 PM

Source: NFL.com

1.2 or 1.3 in dynasty drafts.  If he is treadwellish at the combine he will drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyU said:
Or he could be drafted in the second round and not be the first WR taken.
I think he’d have to be found with two transvstite hookers and an eight ball on draft night to fall into the second round. 

King of the Jungle said:
Calvin Johnson? Color me confused on that comparison. What characteristics do you feel like they share?
His size, the way he catches the ball and the way he moves down the field. He's just not as big and not as fast. But his ball skills are comparable.

Courtland Sutton  drags defender into EZ after catch: 1:45, jump ball: 1:08, screen pass 2:33, 2:43 & 3:18, deep jump ball in EZ: 1:01

Calvin Johnson   drags defender into EZ after catch: 0:39, jump ball: 4:41, screen pass: 3:31 ,deep jump ball in EZ: 3:48

Now Sutton is not ever going to demand triple coverage or the crazy GL formation where they mugged CJ at the LOS in order to stop a jump ball. Probably won't demand double coverage but single him up and I think he will be tough to stop.

Sources Tell Us: Inside scoop on top NFL draft prospects

Excerpt:

The scoop: "He's just a man. He plays in a conference that has some smaller cornerbacks and there are some games where it looks like a Pop Warner game with him. I think he's going to be a good pro." -- NFC regional scout on SMU WR Courtland Sutton

The skinny: At 6-foot-4 and 216 pounds (school measurements), Sutton is a big receiver and he plays to every inch and pound of his frame. He reminds me of Titans 2017 first-rounder Corey Davis in that he's slick in creating late separation for himself and winning the contested catches. Sutton is my No. 1 WR to watch heading into the season.

A couple of mocks have this guy being pushed down to the panthers.  Would love to get a fbg take that has watched him consistently

1.2 or 1.3 in dynasty drafts.  If he is treadwellish at the combine he will drop.
Don't think any WR goes in the top 4 this year. Recent 1st round dynasty WRs haven't been paying off returns (Corey Coleman, Doctson, Treadwell, Corey Davis, John Ross, Mike Williams), I bet people go for the RBs, even in PPR.

Don't think any WR goes in the top 4 this year. Recent 1st round dynasty WRs haven't been paying off returns (Corey Coleman, Doctson, Treadwell, Corey Davis, John Ross, Mike Williams), I bet people go for the RBs, even in PPR.
obv the draft and combine are going to move a lot of players up or down in the evaluations but even if he goes to a prime situation, I feel like the recency bias you are pointing out is going to have an effect.

until he shows himself to be THAT much better than Ridley or Washington, he is at best the 4th or 5th best prospect in non superflex/2qb leagues, imo

I think Barkley, Guice, Chubb, are a lock to go before him in most FF drafts.

I agree. Maybe top 5 or 6.  I definitely am starting to see it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had this argument last season about this time when I kept insisting not only was Cook/Fournette not top two locks but not to dismiss Davis and Williams. Davis for sure crashed the top 4 RB party in most drafts.

I believe Ridley does the same thing this year when he's a high first round pick.

As a side not injuries wrecked this years top 3 drafted WR's and Davis for me in particular I remain extremely high on but injuries barely gave any of them a chance.

Had this argument last season about this time when I kept insisting not only was Cook/Fournette not top two locks but not to dismiss Davis and Williams. Davis for sure crashed the top 4 RB party in most drafts.

I believe Ridley does the same thing this year when he's a high first round pick.

As a side not injuries wrecked this years top 3 drafted WR's and Davis for me in particular I remain extremely high on but injuries barely gave any of them a chance.
I don't think it's a lock like some others, but if SF takes a WR like Sutton or Ridley (especially if they don't trade down and its a top 10 pick) the folks at 2/3 are going to be having a tough decision to make, IMO.

I don't think it's a lock like some others, but if SF takes a WR like Sutton or Ridley (especially if they don't trade down and its a top 10 pick) the folks at 2/3 are going to be having a tough decision to make, IMO.
I got pick 2 and Guice is not a lock but close, real close.

But I had responded to comments about the top 4 picks being RB's if not top 5-6.  I think WR's will end up being in the discussion for a lot of teams in the 3-6 range, if not 2-6. Especially if they have a need to updgrade the WR position. It's not the best strategy picking for need, but I think it factors into equation for a lot of people.

Us former Devante Parker owners still suffering from PTSD sure hope so, because this feels a WHOLE LOT like that.  And, once again, I'm heavily invested.

Us former Devante Parker owners still suffering from PTSD sure hope so, because this feels a WHOLE LOT like that.  And, once again, I'm heavily invested.
On Parker I still think he can pull through and I'm a little more encouraged by some stuff I read the other day which basically said the Dolphins were sick of Jarvis Landry's crap. I don't think they resign him and that's a lot of targets getting opened up.

But the main gripe with Parker has been his work ethic and injuries and some feel the injuries are a result of poor work ethic. The word unprofessional is a word that's been used about him a few times. As it relates to Corey Davis let me say he is recognized as a hard working kind of guy, a professional. So is Mariotta and that is why my prediction for puff piece winner of the off-season will be one of these two. Expect ton's of articles saying both are committed to putting bad 2017 seasons behind them, both are healthier now , both in the best shape of their lives and finally expect puff pieces how they are working out together. Remember after all Corey Davis, before he was drafted, said the QB he'd like to play with is Mariotta. So I nominate these two as likely puff piece off-season winners, and I'm already buying it up.

I think the WR that SF drafts goes #2 in our draft.

Pro Football Focus's Steve Palazzolo projects the Jaguars to take SMU WR Courtland Sutton with the 29th pick in his latest mock draft.

Sutton (6'4/214) has not only one of the best receivers in the country over the last two years, he's been an analytical darling. It's no surprise, then, to see him projected as a first-round selection. "Sutton brings a 6-foot-4 frame capable of beating up on smaller cornerbacks and winning in contested situations," Palazzolo writes, "but he’s also been solid after the catch, forcing 26 missed tackles over the last two years."

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Jan 20 - 10:33 PM

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

Sutton is a big, physical wideout. He primarily lined up outside for the Mustangs, but he did take some reps in the slot. He uses his upper-body strength to defeat press coverage, but lacks ideal suddenness in his release. As a route runner, he's a long strider who struggles to generate much separation. He makes a ton of plays with defenders draped all over him. He has an enormous catch radius and his ability to high point the ball is special (see: one-handed grab vs. Tulsa). After the catch, he lacks burst and wiggle, but he will power through tacklers. Sutton lacks ideal explosiveness and route-running polish, but his combination of size/strength/ball skills is tough to defend against.

Having gone to SMU way back in time, I tuned in to parts of 3-4 games this season.

Sutton does look like a man among boys out there, sort of in the way Justin Blackmon or Dez Bryant did in terms of body size compared to their college peers. Seems like he could be a big time red zone piece for an offense. Hopefully he is better in the head than Blackmon, he seems to be.

Does he have a good comp? Right now it seems like people are pretty low on this year's WR class, so I'm still trying to figure out how these guys rank as compared to previous classes. 

Mushin Muhammad? Keyshawn Johnson? Marshall? Those are the guys I think of when I watch Sutton. Muhammud might be a reasonable expectation- solid possession/red zone target. Could have a few double digit td seasons. I’d like to see him somewhere with a guy who isn’t afraid to take a chance- Carolina, Dallas, KC, sea. Flacco would pepper him with quality targets. If he goes to a young qb that is tryinggg to limit his mistakes (trubisky, rookie, bortles) I don’t think you can get the most out of him. 

I understand the treadwell comps but he moves back to the ball well and has a nasty “my ball” attitude. A more refined kelvin Benjamin. Wonder how fast he’ll run. 

If Sutton runs a 4.5 I’m fine with him as early as maybe 1.04. If he runs 4.6 I’m staying away until early round 2.

Care to unpack this? Is this good or bad? Sutton isnt injured as far as i know...

Because they are both the same body type? By the way a healthy Mike Williams still has massive upside
This is some of it. Theyre obviously not clones but similar. I feel like they have a similar play style too. Without seeing suttons combine numbers, it just seemed like a good comp.

Wasn't a knock on sutton or williams at all, I feel like they will both be solid players if healthy and contribute in a similar way. The only thing I think that could make this a bad comp is if suttons combine shows his speed and agility scores to be much better than what I assume they will be.  Someone said in this thread earlier that he comps to Treadwell and I think that may not be too far off physically. I feel like he will be a better player though.

SMU WR Courtland Sutton ran the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Sutton's run was one which held as much intrigue as any in Indianapolis and he came through with flying colors. The 6-foot-3, 218-pounder possesses palatable size for a No. 1 wideout, but needed a strong run to realistically stay in play for a Round 1 selection. This run of 4.54 seconds more than does the trick, especially given his frame and stature. In addition to the nice 40-yard dash run, Sutton also turned in respectable jumps of 35.5 inches (vertical) and 124 inches (broad). We like what we've seen all the way around.

Source: NFL.com

Mar 3 - 2:16 PM

SMU WR Courtland Sutton produced a composite score in the 86th percentile in the NFL Scouting Combine.

Sutton's 4.54 second 40-yard dash score helped -- especially considering his size (6'3/218). He also impressed with his jumps and held his own in the shuttles, making his one of the more complete testers at the position. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom ranks Sutton at the top of his wide receiver position board, and we're guessing he didn't see anything in his workouts that suggests he'll be dropping from that spot. 

Mar 5 - 9:16 PM

Source: 3 Sigma Athlete

Users who are viewing this thread