What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

Dr. Dan said:
I'm not sure I would have done that deal, in fact I know I wouldn't have done it. I think you will regret this deal, but to each their own. Hope you take it all this season. 
Totally understandable. I paid big for a player that gives me a much better shot at the title this year and next. If I win its money and bragging rights. If I don't the deal isn't so great. Worth the risk for the thrill of it. :D

(also a chance Sutton never develops into more that a WR2 and I stole Julio)

Totally understandable. I paid big for a player that gives me a much better shot at the title this year and next. If I win its money and bragging rights. If I don't the deal isn't so great. Worth the risk for the thrill of it. :D

(also a chance Sutton never develops into more that a WR2 and I stole Julio)
Good deal.

How is a rookie WR a big disappointment?  The only rookie who had a chance to disappoint is Barkley.  I drafted Sutton in Rd 15 and only started him once.  

It just feels like the dream of the FBG-styled breakout was dead before it even potentially began. I feel like I should have known better after the whole Cody Latimer debacle. 

Added him in a short bench to play keep away. Dropped Houston with a tasty @ Jets matchup next week.

Hopefully it doesn't hurt.

He’s a 6-4 JAG! Always has been always will be again. Good luck if you still believe every week will be a crap shoot!

Tex

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I’m still not buying. I want to so badly but I just can’t. He’d be the first in modern history to be below avg in college only to be a stud in the NFL. Flame on! But show me two people that have done that.

I will officially shut my mouth and wait til then end of the season to post back to either eat crow pie or ask more questions.

Good luck to everyone this season,

Tex
So 3200 yards, 31 TDs in 3 season is below average? Here's 2 for ya.

HOF WR with far less stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-brown-3.html

This guy has lessor stats as well. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/calvin-johnson-1.html

Averaging 19 YPC. Low catch % but that is likely because he ruins the low % routs. The next few games should tell the story. Wish the QB was good.

I am more worried about DEN running the ball 40+ times.  They should be successful running against SF.
Don't you think they're going to face stacked boxes now? Teams are going to dare Denver to beat them through the air. It'll be terrible for the team's success in real life but should be GREAT for Sutton, imo (especially in PPR). 

Strongly considering starting Sutton over Golladay this week

I have idea no idea how much this helps Sutton ROS but I know WRs score TDs against SF and now I have a pretty good idea which Denver WR will this week. 

So 3200 yards, 31 TDs in 3 season is below average? Here's 2 for ya.

HOF WR with far less stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-brown-3.html

This guy has lessor stats as well. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/calvin-johnson-1.html

Averaging 19 YPC. Low catch % but that is likely because he ruins the low % routs. The next few games should tell the story. Wish the QB was good.
I'm with you on Sutton, but let's not judge a rookie WR too harshly no matter what happens. That's the main problem I have with anybody down on Sutton & saying let's see what he produces THIS season (like he's got to put up big numbers in 2018 if he's ever going to become a stud). WR isn't like the RB position. It's much more of a learned craft.

Sutton has rare contested catch ability, but his short game will get better over time. He's got both a high floor AND a high ceiling.

I believe Sutton is a pretty safe bet to eventually be a stud.

Strongly considering starting Sutton over Golladay this week

I have idea no idea how much this helps Sutton ROS but I know WRs score TDs against SF and now I have a pretty good idea which Denver WR will this week. 
Same exact boat. Golloday is being smothered and now has three straight match ups against pro bowl corners. I don't think I can use him.

Courtland Sutton caught 2-of-6 targets for 14 yards in the Broncos' Week 14 loss to the 49ers, also losing a yard on a rush.

It was an epic face plant from the second-round rookie in his first game as the Broncos' No. 1 receiver. Injury was partly to blame, as he was forced to play through an in-game thigh issue. One of his missed connections was an end zone target that arguably could have been brought home for a score. Inconsistent all year, Sutton probably is not ready for the glare of being the opposing defense's No. 1 focus. The Browns, and perhaps lock down rookie Denzel Ward (concussion), are on tap for Week 15.

Dec 9 - 8:03 PM

I believe there were 2 EZ passes and both sucked. Accurate passes would have been caught. 2 other passes were out of the zip code. Keenum totally sucks.

He’s a 6-4 JAG! Always has been always will be again. Good luck if you still believe every week will be a crap shoot!

Tex
I didn’t want to believe you and reports from the team out of training camp, including veteran receivers, seemed to imply this guy was a stud in the making. However, he’s been in the starting lineup pretty much all season (as WR3 when DT was still there) and he has essentially done NOTHING. So now I’m starting to believe you know what you’re talking about. I had some offers for him earlier this season that I declined. I may try to move him in the off-season. Surely he would have had at least a couple good games by now if he was “all of that”. Right??

As someone who is a contrarian by nature and someone who was “pounding the desk” about the evils of the Federal Reserve before it was a popular take.... I do appreciate your insistence on your view of Sutton even in the face of ridicule. It’s not easy being the lone voice and you certainly caught some flack in this thread. And so far in his first season, your take is more accurate than those saying he’s an elite WR in the making. 

I didn’t want to believe you and reports from the team out of training camp, including veteran receivers, seemed to imply this guy was a stud in the making. However, he’s been in the starting lineup pretty much all season (as WR3 when DT was still there) and he has essentially done NOTHING. So now I’m starting to believe you know what you’re talking about. I had some offers for him earlier this season that I declined. I may try to move him in the off-season. Surely he would have had at least a couple good games by now if he was “all of that”. Right??

As someone who is a contrarian by nature and someone who was “pounding the desk” about the evils of the Federal Reserve before it was a popular take.... I do appreciate your insistence on your view of Sutton even in the face of ridicule. It’s not easy being the lone voice and you certainly caught some flack in this thread. And so far in his first season, your take is more accurate than those saying he’s an elite WR in the making. 
Curious... if Sutton is JAG, what does that make Miller, Gallup, Kirk? Sutton's stats are similar to those 3, and he has the worst QB of the bunch. 

Curious... if Sutton is JAG, what does that make Miller, Gallup, Kirk? Sutton's stats are similar to those 3, and he has the worst QB of the bunch. 
You’re asking me or the poster I quoted? I don’t have an opinion on those guys. For a rookie WR, he’s had more opportunity than most and has done next to nothing. Then you have this Patrick fella step in and do what he did?? It definitely makes me question the hype surrounding Sutton all preseason. They supposedly traded DT because Sutton was “ready”. If you read all of Tex’s posts in here he seems to have been right. He’s plenty young enough to turn it around but SO FAR, Tex nailed it. 

You’re asking me or the poster I quoted? I don’t have an opinion on those guys. For a rookie WR, he’s had more opportunity than most and has done next to nothing. Then you have this Patrick fella step in and do what he did?? It definitely makes me question the hype surrounding Sutton all preseason. They supposedly traded DT because Sutton was “ready”. If you read all of Tex’s posts in here he seems to have been right. He’s plenty young enough to turn it around but SO FAR, Tex nailed it. 
yeah he hasnt lived up to the hype and I'm beginning to question him as well, but not ready to sell. FTR Sutton has one less game started than Kirk and Gallup, and 2 more game started than Miller. All things considered I'd say they've all had equal opportunities this year. 

I'm not ready to bail yet, but while I was not even fielding offers for Sutton during the season, I'd consider them now. I just dont see him busting when these rookies have all had very similar seasons. 

He’s a rookie, he’s in a **** offense, he’s been forced into the team’s WR1 slot, he’s got a **** QB, and he got hurt.

Yep, his career’s over alright.

He’s a rookie, he’s in a **** offense, he’s been forced into the team’s WR1 slot, he’s got a **** QB, and he got hurt.

Yep, his career’s over alright.
I never said his career was over but that said, in this hobby we gain value by correctly predicting the future. I’m not gonna give him away but my spidy senses are definitely tingling about this guy.

Jeez, you’re one of my favorite posters but you should slow down on the hyperbole. I never remotely hinted that his career is over and in fact I clearly stated he has time to turn it around and also used terms such as “SO FAR” which further implies my realization that it’s too early to call it right. 

Keenan doesn't throw the ball past 10 yards. I haven't been able to tell if Sutton is still running all the deep routes but I know his catches were both short passes. Keenan blows. He had 6 targets if which he caught both that were in the same zip code.

Keenan doesn't throw the ball past 10 yards. I haven't been able to tell if Sutton is still running all the deep routes but I know his catches were both short passes. Keenan blows. He had 6 targets if which he caught both that were in the same zip code.
I like Sutton to bounce back this week but you bring up a concern. We may have a better chance with a long distance dedication from Casey Kasem to Sutton vs Case Keenum hitting him for 15+ yards.

people like to point to Patrick or Hamilton and say, "see what they did, Sutton couldnt do that all season." but they fail to look at the gameplan and, most importantly, the QB throwing him the ball. Sutton isn't a possession wr. I don't think anyone here ever would have suggested he was. His QB is trash and cant throw a deep ball. 2018 is a disaster for him, but it was always supposed to be... his critics were saying 6 months ago that Sutton was raw, needed time, had a better 2019 outlook, etc. But now they're saying, "See 2018 was bad hes a bust." Damned if you do, damned if you dont. As I mentioned above, Some of his critics were super high on other WRs like Miller, Kirk, Gallup but I dont see those posters giving up on those wrs... with similar stats and opportunity to sutton (and better qbs)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Sutton to bounce back this week but you bring up a concern. We may have a better chance with a long distance dedication from Casey Kasem to Sutton vs Case Keenum hitting him for 15+ yards.
On NFL network they just discussed that Keenum has been careful with the ball and tends to target the slot receiver. That was Hamilton. Coach wants him to be more aggressive. Lets see if he has the balls.

Full disclosure I'm a believer in his talent/ability.  If this guy were on the Saints he'd be carrying teams right now

Overall, anyone that looks to rookie receivers to be huge contributors right away is going to be disappointed more times than not.  I added him as a long term investment with an eye toward starting him full time around week 8 of his second season.  When I watch him play, the kid passes the eye test. Nothing (that he can control) I've seen so far makes me regret the decision to sign him. Keenum is not a good fit for Sutton though, which is troubling.

Might be my #1 target in dynasty leagues; very happy he hasn't produced, hoping I can get some frustrated owners to part with him in the offseason. 

Full disclosure I'm a believer in his talent/ability.  If this guy were on the Saints he'd be carrying teams right now

Overall, anyone that looks to rookie receivers to be huge contributors right away is going to be disappointed more times than not.  I added him as a long term investment with an eye toward starting him full time around week 8 of his second season.  When I watch him play, the kid passes the eye test. Nothing (that he can control) I've seen so far makes me regret the decision to sign him. Keenum is not a good fit for Sutton though, which is troubling.
He could really use Haskins, or Jones as the QB. I figure they draft one of them.

Good post.

I think the jury is still out on Keenum, however.

Lots of simplistic Keenum-bashing going on in this thread...but the reality is it's his first year in a new system, a conservative head coach playing not to lose, a bashed-up O-line that was not very good to begin with, lost his top three TE's to injury, two rookie RB's, lost his top two WR's and now has three starting rookie WR's.

I get that Keenum is not Aaron Rodgers, but there are more than enough Keenum-to-Sutton connections this year to indicate he can help Sutton achieve his potential.

Laying fault of Sutton not putting up big numbers at the feet of of Keenum seems off base to me.

Sutton is an unpolished rookie WR thrust into the #1 WR role and getting #1WR attention..

Both Diggs and Thielen did quite well with Keenum last year and Sanders was having a very strong year on for all of those 3 players their average air yards per target was relatively good or at worst average, in other words not living on short passes. Really a lack of evidence to suggest in anyway that Keenum is some kind of WR fantasy killer.

Laying fault of Sutton not putting up big numbers at the feet of of Keenum seems off base to me.

Sutton is an unpolished rookie WR thrust into the #1 WR role and getting #1WR attention..

Both Diggs and Thielen did quite well with Keenum last year and Sanders was having a very strong year on for all of those 3 players their average air yards per target was relatively good or at worst average, in other words not living on short passes. Really a lack of evidence to suggest in anyway that Keenum is some kind of WR fantasy killer.
Sanders and Thielen were both running out of the slot. That's who he targets. It was just discussed on NFL Network. Diggs #s dropped from the year before Keenum. They are at an alltime high now without Keenum.

Keenum has to go if Sutton is going to get high # of targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sutton is ranked 19th this week in standard on FBG rankings. Plus he is 6-4 and the Browns CBS are 6 feet or under. We’ll see if they give him a chance to make some plays this week 

Sanders and Thielen were both running out of the slot. That's who he targets. It was just discussed on NFL Network. Diggs #s dropped from the year before Keenum. They are at an alltime high now without Keenum.
Sanders ran out of the slot a little over 40%, same for Thielen last year and Diggs barely played slot last year.  I find it inaccurate framing these players as slot receivers.

Diggs numbers were down when he was hurt last year, on fire when he was healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread