What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

I had been starting Sutton or Fitzgerald the last couple of wks, especially after Sanders went down.............but i don't know if i want to trust Sutton during a Fantasy Playoff week.
At this point, i'm leaning toward picking up Curtis Samuels vs NO instead.  (he's getting more targets and the game script should be good against that bad NO pass def)

Just going by what NFL Network said.
I do think he likes throwing to the slot  and he does not have a big arm but I also think enough evidence exists that he not just a dink and dunk guy and will throw it downfield a little.  I don't think Keenum is a positive for Sutton, just not the big negative most seem to think.

Keenum only looks his way as a last resort. Sutton is always his last read.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's going to be a star! He is just struggling like i thought he would as a rookie and going forward because he has no QB. I will be targeting him this offseason. 

Courtland Sutton sealed 5-of-6 targets for 42 yards in the Broncos' Week 15 loss to the Browns.

Sutton was limited in Week 14 with a thigh injury and noticeably came up limping on a downfield target that missed against the Browns. The fact remains that he's still only scored once since Demaryius Thomas was sent packing and has yet to surpass 90 yards in any game this year. His 11 total targets the past two weeks are also third on the team behind DaeSean Hamilton's 20 and Tim Patrick's 18. Sutton's athleticism is extremely enticing, but it's finally time we admit that he may not turn that into viable WR2 production until 2019. He'll again be a low-floor boom-or-bust WR3/flex against the Raiders in Week 16.

Dec 16 - 12:33 AM

From Heath Cummings Twitter:

Since Case Keenum entered the league:

Keenum 62.0% CMP 6.9 Y/A 6.5 AY/A 3.5% TD 2.3% INT 84.5 Rating

Flacco 62.6% CMP 6.5 Y/A 6.0 AY/A 3.5% TD 2.5% INT 82.3 Rating

It feels like Flacco is moderately better for Sutton but the numbers disagree.

From Heath Cummings Twitter:

Since Case Keenum entered the league:

Keenum 62.0% CMP 6.9 Y/A 6.5 AY/A 3.5% TD 2.3% INT 84.5 Rating

Flacco 62.6% CMP 6.5 Y/A 6.0 AY/A 3.5% TD 2.5% INT 82.3 Rating

It feels like Flacco is moderately better for Sutton but the numbers disagree.

If it were just that simple, then yeah that would be the case.  But it’s never that simple in football.

Speaking Wednesday at the Combine, coach Vic Fangio said the Broncos are "expecting big things" from second-year WR Courtland Sutton.

The 40th overall pick in last year's draft, Sutton was arguably the top talent at the position in the 2018 class. He was outproducing Demaryius Thomas prior to Thomas' trade to the Texans and took over as a virtual full-time player on the outside the second half of the season. But Sutton's production didn't really spike, as slot man DaeSean Hamilton saw the biggest increase in targets. Sutton didn't have a single 100-yard game as a rookie with just four touchdowns. Joe Flacco will now be throwing him the ball. Sutton should enter 2019 as a WR3/4 for fantasy purposes.

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 8:13 AM

Ilov80s said:
That’s puzzling. Also I heard Waldman on a podcast and he mentioned there’s talk out of Denver that Sutton is lazy.

If you could find one article corroborating that claim, it would be the first I’ve seen.

Ilov80s said:
That’s puzzling. Also I heard Waldman on a podcast and he mentioned there’s talk out of Denver that Sutton is lazy.
I heard that podcast too. I’m staying away from sutton

Just passing what he said along. Waldman doesn’t seem like the type to just spread rumors unless he really believes it.

I can find tons of articles and testimony speaking positively of Sutton’s work ethic and willingness and desire to learn, as recently as January of this year.  The first and only I’ve heard of Sutton being lazy is Waldman being cited here.

I can find tons of articles and testimony speaking positively of Sutton’s work ethic and willingness and desire to learn, as recently as January of this year.  The first and only I’ve heard of Sutton being lazy is Waldman being cited here.
Sure but it’s unlikely anyone would go on the record to leak that kind of info about Sutton at this point. Nobody has anything of gain from pushing a negative Sutton angle to the media. 

Sure but it’s unlikely anyone would go on the record to leak that kind of info about Sutton at this point. Nobody has anything of gain from pushing a negative Sutton angle to the media. 

In other words, Waldman has to be right and all those myriad other opinions have to be wrong?

Waldman was anti-Sutton in his RSP predraft. Bias is there

In other words, Waldman has to be right and all those myriad other opinions have to be wrong?
No, but Waldman has less incentive to spin a positive story about Sutton than the Broncos or Sutton’s people do.

Waldman was anti-Sutton in his RSP predraft. Bias is there
True and perhaps he’s just making up some BS  but more than likely it’s coming from Cecil who is tuned in with Denver, 

I have no idea if Sutton is lazy or if he is the hardest working man in the NFL. I was just passing some info a long. Do with it what you want. 

Its interesting how Waldman is looked at as a god around here... guy has great analysis and goes into deep detail, but he is often very wrong and is guilty of what most "experts" are when it comes to biases. I wouldn't be surprised if Waldman still likes Jamaal Williams to take over the GB backfield

Its interesting how Waldman is looked at as a god around here... guy has great analysis and goes into deep detail, but he is often very wrong and is guilty of what most "experts" are when it comes to biases. I wouldn't be surprised if Waldman still likes Jamaal Williams to take over the GB backfield
I’m actually pretty anti-Waldman analysis. He’s a good guy, works hard and is very knowledgeable. However, I think a lot of the film study stuff is subjective junk. I’m analytics over tape grinding. I will say I think the FBG crew has done a decent job being plugged into Denver through Cecil. They were way ahead of the curve on CJ Anderson being a thing, were saying very early on that Lynch was struggling and wasn’t totally committed to football and I think they were the first ones to seriously talk about Trevor Simien as being the guy who was going to win the QB job when nobody else gave him a real shot. 

what are thoughts on Sutton for 2019 and beyond? I've got some interest in him, with the most recent offer 1.10 and 2020 1st projected top 5 for sutton and a 2020 2nd projected bottom 4. 

Not sure where I stand on Sutton. On one hand I like him on paper but I'm not sure if he is fools old or not. Some cons so far: he didnt produce when he had the chance to last year, his QB is probably no better than 2018 and I dont trust Elway to bring in a good thrower, Waldmans report of him being lazy. 

Some cons so far: he didnt produce when he had the chance to last year, his QB is probably no better than 2018 and I dont trust Elway to bring in a good thrower, Waldmans report of him being lazy. 

Where is the lazy knock coming from?  I heard a couple of things early on from DEN coaches about his being lazy in his route running, but that’s a completely different thing than being lazy.  I’ve done a couple of searches to see if I can find any source or corroboration supporting the lazy claim and haven’t succeeded.  It sounds like Waldman’s claim is either a truncated snippet or lazy in and of itself.

As to Sutton’s performance last year, his strength is working downfield and winning contestable balls.  Neither of those were things that his QB did well or often.  Flacco seems like a better match at QB for Sutton’s strengths - provided the O line can manage to keep him upright for more than 2.5 seconds.  That’s questionable right there.

It’s really difficult to project for Sutton right now given the unknowns.  But if you’re going to make a play for him thinking he can be an impact FF guy, now is the time to do it.

Where is the lazy knock coming from?  I heard a couple of things early on from DEN coaches about his being lazy in his route running, but that’s a completely different thing than being lazy.  I’ve done a couple of searches to see if I can find any source or corroboration supporting the lazy claim and haven’t succeeded.  It sounds like Waldman’s claim is either a truncated snippet or lazy in and of itself.

As to Sutton’s performance last year, his strength is working downfield and winning contestable balls.  Neither of those were things that his QB did well or often.  Flacco seems like a better match at QB for Sutton’s strengths - provided the O line can manage to keep him upright for more than 2.5 seconds.  That’s questionable right there.

It’s really difficult to project for Sutton right now given the unknowns.  But if you’re going to make a play for him thinking he can be an impact FF guy, now is the time to do it.

I cant find anything either, but it would potentially explain why he dosnt do as well last year when a ton of targets were freed up. However, I agree there are some more reasonable explanations: OL, QB limitations, etc.

Flacco is a 1 or 2 year fix at best. He has a better deep ball than Keenum but he isnt a wow QB. If Denver takes Lock in this draft I'm not very excited about Suttons future

I just dont want to turn around and realize I drafted the 2018 Devante Parker. Stuck in fantasy purgatory with crap QBs for the first 4 years of his career. 

what are thoughts on Sutton for 2019 and beyond? I've got some interest in him, with the most recent offer 1.10 and 2020 1st projected top 5 for sutton and a 2020 2nd projected bottom 4. 

Not sure where I stand on Sutton. On one hand I like him on paper but I'm not sure if he is fools old or not. Some cons so far: he didnt produce when he had the chance to last year, his QB is probably no better than 2018 and I dont trust Elway to bring in a good thrower, Waldmans report of him being lazy. 
I'd move him for that if you're pretty confident the future 1st is top 5.

I would definitely do this.  I'm going to see if I can make a similar deal in my leagues where I own him. 

the most recent offer 1.10 and 2020 1st projected top 5 for sutton and a 2020 2nd projected bottom 4.
Tremendous deal if you are selling Sutton, atrocious price if you are buying.  I wouldn't pay more than a mid/late 1st for him.  Bad GM, bad QB, bad offense for him.

I agree that 2 firsts and a second is too good to pass up.

The situation in Denver is poor. Sutton didn't do much with the increased opportunity. He still could develop into a stud but the realistic outlook for that seems to be a slow ascent. 

Full disclosure, I was high enough on him to use my 2.02 (14 overall) last year. But I did sell him just prior to the DT trade. 

@BigTex and @Andy Dufresne - I am curious what rookie pick you feel would be fair value to pay to acquire Courtland Sutton given that you both agree that you wouldn’t give up a first round pick for him?

@BigTex and @Andy Dufresne - I am curious what rookie pick you feel would be fair value to pay to acquire Courtland Sutton given that you both agree that you wouldn’t give up a first round pick for him?
I guess the window is pretty narrow window but I'd put the arbitrary line at 2.05, meaning that anything less than that if likely keep him on the chance he starts to produce.

I guess the window is pretty narrow window but I'd put the arbitrary line at 2.05, meaning that anything less than that if likely keep him on the chance he starts to produce.
Needless to say you won’t be acquiring him at that price. Might be what you would pay and think he’s worth, but it isn’t a fair price in most peoples’ eyes.

Needless to say you won’t be acquiring him at that price. Might be what you would pay and think he’s worth, but it isn’t a fair price in most peoples’ eyes.
I meant I would sell at that price because he asked me specifically.

Most people have goggles on when it comes to crazy girlfriends and players on their fantasy rosters. IOW people are too high on Sutton, if they have him.

I meant I would sell at that price because he asked me specifically.

Most people have goggles on when it comes to crazy girlfriends and players on their fantasy rosters. IOW people are too high on Sutton, if they have him.
Interesting. This implies you would pay what then a late 2? 

Interested in knowing if you actually own him? 

Full disclosure:

I own Sutton in my primary league after using a late first round rookie pick on him last year, so I am holding out on some cautious optimism that he will take a second year leap forward. I wouldn’t sell him for a second round pick in this year’s draft class. 

hmm... realizing I had it wrong in my first read. Saw it as 1st+1st+2nd for Sutton, when it's 1st+1st for Sutton+2nd. 

Would still take the 2 firsts.

Users who are viewing this thread