What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

ConnSKINS26 said:
What did you deal for him, if you don't mind? Been thinking of making an offer
Unfortunately I don't have a great direct value for you since it wasn't straight up for him.

I traded away Mike Evans (my only WR worth anything since my offseason AB trade left me with very little at the position beside AB and Evans). I decided to get younger hoping for a quick rebuild. Took multiple pieces to get some depth.

So for Evans I got Sutton, Curtis Samuel, and Robert Woods. 3 younger guys that have a good chance to end up as the top WR for their teams by end of season. 

This week hoping Sanders is a full go so he draws Casey Hayward or Desmond King when he lines up out of the slot.

That will leave Michael Davis likely on Sutton, who is exploitable.

I guess my point was that an opponent could view Sutton as a #1 or as big a threat (or more) than Sanders
Possible but I would imagine teams see Sanders, with his more experience and longer track record, as the WR1.

Going by stats alone, they really are WR1 and WR1a.

Which is why knowing tendencies (what side of the field corners line up on, do they generally stick with WR1 or roam, etc.) would be that much more helpful.

Courtland Sutton caught 4-of-7 targets for 92 yards and one touchdown in the Broncos' Week 5 win over the Chargers.

Most of Sutton's production came on one play. Sutton cut across the middle, broke a tackle, and won a foot race to the end zone for a 70-yard touchdown to give the Broncos a 14-0 lead in the first quarter. The Broncos went into ball control mode after Sutton's score, so he was quiet from that point on. Sutton has at least seven targets in all five games and is enjoying a second-year leap. He's a fantasy WR3 as the Broncos' No. 1 receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Courtland Sutton nabbed four catches for 76 yards on eight targets Sunday in Denver’s Week 6 win over Tennessee.

Sutton exploded for a 40-yard catch in the second quarter, beating Logan Ryan down the sideline on a well-thrown deep ball by Joe Flacco. The second-round sophomore wasn't featured much in the second half (two grabs for 23 yards on three targets), drawing more downfield attention in the absence of Emmanuel Sanders, who left after aggravating a knee injury. Sutton has shown a surprisingly safe floor, clearing the 60-yard threshold in five-of-six appearances this year. Playing at home against a bottom-rung Kansas City secondary in Week 7, Sutton could be in for a big night Thursday at Mile High.

Courtland Sutton caught 6-of-8 targets for 87 yards in the Broncos' Week 7 win over the Chiefs.

Even with Joe Flacco setting the quarterback position back 20 years, Sutton managed to exceed 75 yards for the third straight game, and fifth time in seven 2019 appearances. He is an ascending sophomore with both big play and possession chops. Flacco is the concern. Even still, Sutton has established himself as an every-week WR2. An Indianapolis road trip is in the offing for Week 8.

It would have been nice if he had scored that TD in the first quarter when he got tackled at the 1 but I will take it.  Was hoping for more after his first half start but still a solid game. 

Once/if they get the OL and QB positions settled down, even a little bit...Sutton becomes a WR1.  As a Dolphins fan, I can attest to the fact that neither of those are easy problems to solve, but thats what is holding him back right now.  Still posting WR2 numbers with that crud around him is impressive.  To a lesser extent, reminds me of Calvin Johnson still putting up numbers with Dan Orlovsky having .8 seconds to throw a pass before getting smooshed.  

It was telling that as bad as Flacco was, and as over as this game was with 10 minutes left that the Broncos did not give the backup (Allen?) a few snaps.  Can you imagine how bad he must be in practice to not be even a hopeful upgrade over the ghost of Joe Flacco?  Gotta get Drew Lock back and out there ASAP so they can determine if they are going to use what should be an early pick on a QB next year.  

Went from a reliable flex player and a guy I was looking to move to upgrade RB2 to a guy I am not sure I want to part with as he can be leaned on as a fantasy WR2.

Super solid floor in defiance of how bad Denver looks or fares in games - guy gets 8+ targets guaranteed, and only dropped below 60 yards once.

It's simply dependable production. The cap on it is really only the TD portion -- if he was more a reliable producer of TDs, he would be WR1.

Went from a reliable flex player and a guy I was looking to move to upgrade RB2 to a guy I am not sure I want to part with as he can be leaned on as a fantasy WR2.

Super solid floor in defiance of how bad Denver looks or fares in games - guy gets 8+ targets guaranteed, and only dropped below 60 yards once.

It's simply dependable production. The cap on it is really only the TD portion -- if he was more a reliable producer of TDs, he would be WR1.
Yep. Sutton is coming on & will be better in 2020 just from simply filling up some of his headroom. He's a stud FF WR in the making.

And that's without any consideration from improved QB play or a better offense as a whole.

This is true. Who's taking Sanders spot in the lineup?
Hamilton in slot and god knows as the WR3. Winfree is there but hasn't caught a pass yet this season.

am I the only one that thinks this doesn't help nor hurt Sutton? Still a bad offense, should get more targets of course but he's the only legitimate receiving option for defenses to key in on.

Hamilton in slot and god knows as the WR3. Winfree is there but hasn't caught a pass yet this season.

am I the only one that thinks this doesn't help nor hurt Sutton? Still a bad offense, should get more targets of course but he's the only legitimate receiving option for defenses to key in on.
I agree. but consider this, if he averaged an extra 2 fp/g due to the higher volume, he would be in Julio Jones territory for fp/g this year

He's really the only thing to focus on for the opposing teams gameplan.  Will making the offense worse and less diverse help or hurt Sutton?  I lean toward hurt, but talent can sometimes find a way (see Payton, Walter)

pbandy1 said:

Tim Patrick would be another big body on the outside once he gets healthy if they wanna keep it in house. He flashed a little bit end of last year.

Last 4 weeks last season: 7/85/1, 5/65, 3/44, 4/48

Yeah - I don’t love this. Teams best corner plus roll to his side.  We’ll see
Agreed. Sutton didn't do too well last year when thrust into the featured role after DT got traded and Sanders got hurt. He's improved for sure but same supporting cast (Patrick/Hamilton). Downgrade the whole offense.

I don't know what to think. I tend to agree that this hurt given target share, but certainly doesn't help as the one pass catcher to focus coverage on. His performance without Sanders as WR1A is not encouraging.

I feel like he's taken a step forward this year so hopefully it's less of an issue. I think from a production standpoint it's meaningless as Sanders hadn't done all that much recently anyway - where it might impact is the defensive focus. 

To me it's a net neutral - he was the #1 before the trade and still is. Still in a bad, run-first offense with a bad QB. 

I feel like he's taken a step forward this year so hopefully it's less of an issue. I think from a production standpoint it's meaningless as Sanders hadn't done all that much recently anyway - where it might impact is the defensive focus. 

To me it's a net neutral - he was the #1 before the trade and still is. Still in a bad, run-first offense with a bad QB. 
Good point. He's a better player than last year when he was thrown into the #1 role. Now he's already there, and hopefully they can put something on the field that draws some coverage.

Jello_Biafra said:
This is true. Who's taking Sanders spot in the lineup?
Broncos WR Tim Patrick (broken hand, injured reserve) is expected to be activated following the team's Week 10 bye.

Sidelined since Week 1, Patrick will miss his required eighth game in Week 9. The Broncos suddenly have a big need at receiver after trading Emmanuel Sanders. 25-year-old Patrick flashed a bit down the stretch last season. It's not entirely outside the realm of possibility he will have WR5 re-draft value following his return

What do we think will happen here, boys and girls?

Blowing past 10 targets leading to a 100+ yard game?

Holding his avg ~ 8 targets/80 yard game?

Being the focus of the offense and trying to let Flacco hit lesser participants on the WR corps on his way to a subpar game?

Colts are hard to figure out as they have been so variable against the pass. I do know their CBs (and the one likely lining up vs Sutton,  Pierre Desir) are average, but Rock Ya Sin is a playmaker. Also know they play RB pass-catchers fairly well as Darius Leonard, Anthony Walker, and Matt Adams shadow fairly well, but are susceptible to TEs.

6/80 with around a 50% shot at a TD?

What do we think will happen here, boys and girls?

Blowing past 10 targets leading to a 100+ yard game?

Holding his avg ~ 8 targets/80 yard game?

Being the focus of the offense and trying to let Flacco hit lesser participants on the WR corps on his way to a subpar game?

Colts are hard to figure out as they have been so variable against the pass. I do know their CBs (and the one likely lining up vs Sutton,  Pierre Desir) are average, but Rock Ya Sin is a playmaker. Also know they play RB pass-catchers fairly well as Darius Leonard, Anthony Walker, and Matt Adams shadow fairly well, but are susceptible to TEs.

6/80 with around a 50% shot at a TD?
saftey hooker is back this week.

i expect the same from sutton going forward....

Pretty sure Flacco won't give a rats ### how many guys are on Sutton like Stafford did last week with Golladay. Getting him the ball accurately and not throwing it to the other team could be a problem.

As bad as Flacco was, I guess it can always be worse.  Like Luke Faulk bad.  But what a low bar Allen has to hit to keep things staus quo.  

Even though the Jags are saying Foles is not available, if I am Elway, I am on the phone with Jacksonville making 100% certain.

Checked the Broncos Depth Chart.  They are going to need to bring another QB in.  Allen, Flacco, and Lock ar ethe only QBs on the roster, and Flacco and Lock are not healthy.  They either bring in a street free agent QB, or they make a trade by 4:00 tomorrow.  

Rosen/Fitz,  Beathard, Foles all seem like they could be had with only Foles being expensive.  Any of those guys, or Colin Kaepernick are probably an upgrade over Brandon Allen and possibly even over Flacco, although you never know with Allen since he has never thrown a pass in an NFL game.

Users who are viewing this thread