What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

Checked the Broncos Depth Chart.  They are going to need to bring another QB in.  Allen, Flacco, and Lock ar ethe only QBs on the roster, and Flacco and Lock are not healthy.  They either bring in a street free agent QB, or they make a trade by 4:00 tomorrow.  

Rosen/Fitz,  Beathard, Foles all seem like they could be had with only Foles being expensive.  Any of those guys, or Colin Kaepernick are probably an upgrade over Brandon Allen and possibly even over Flacco, although you never know with Allen since he has never thrown a pass in an NFL game.
Lock is healthy just needs to get in some reps. Rypien is on the practice squad and will pry be called up for this week to serve as the #2. Trading for or signing anyone at this point is a complete waste. Roll with what we got...

Hankmoody said:
Right, but he was put there on September 1st so is eligible to be removed if the team chooses to do so.
This -- being put on IR ensures you sit for 8 weeks. He can play in Week 9 if the Broncos wanted him to.

Not sure if this means he still has to work up to starting shape. Or if this means the Broncos don't trust handing over the reins just yet. Or something else entirely.

Am probably benching him the rest of the season. Which begs the question do I want to drop him as a poison pill in redraft? I wonder if anyone would even pick him up.

Am probably benching him the rest of the season. Which begs the question do I want to drop him as a poison pill in redraft? I wonder if anyone would even pick him up.
Unless its a 10 team league with only 2 required WR spots, I think its safe to say someone would definitely pick him up.  I get that he is going to be playing with an unproven commodity with limited perceive upside, but its not like he was playing with 1985 Dan Marino so far this season, and he has put up every-week starter numbers.  We dont know if Allen is even a downgrade from Craptastic Joe Flacco.

Dynasty hold but definitely benching Sutton until I see how competently this offense runs. It was borderline with Flacco in there. Ugh. 

wish Denver traded for Beathard or anyone with a pulse. Sutton was a nice PPR asset this year. Sigh. 

drop him? have you bumped your head? hell maybe this kid is better than Flacco....wouldnt take much....starting him in every league i own him

drop him? have you bumped your head? hell maybe this kid is better than Flacco....wouldnt take much....starting him in every league i own him
You are correct that it would not be hard to be better than Flacco.  I’m lucky in that I have a little more depth to allow me to take a wait and see approach. But I agree, I certainly wouldn’t drop Sutton. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not dropping him I'm just frustrated. I might not even have better options to start. I'm not optimistic about it at all. I'll likely start a couple marginal players over him in flex spots. I knew I was getting this when I drafted a Denver WR. I'm definitely in the hold and see mode, I'm not dropping him. It's just that the idea of the poison pill has crossed my mind. It's possible the choice is between rotting on my bench with a garbage QB or hurting someone else (who still believes) in their starting lineup. 

This year I went to a few of SMU’s games and I just came away unimpressed. IIRC majority of his yards came against lower Conference schools. Honestly his numbers are not even Elite to begin with. I’ve tried to like him as a prospect and I just don’t see it. I hope the Cowboys don’t draft this dude in the 1st to try to prove a point to Dez........oh Gawd please no.

Tex
You guys will only keep finding excuses for this one trick pony. I’m a TEXAS HOMER who only tried to warn you but you’ll keep making excuses and be inconsistent at your WR position.

Tex

You guys will only keep finding excuses for this one trick pony. I’m a TEXAS HOMER who only tried to warn you but you’ll keep making excuses and be inconsistent at your WR position.

Tex
Wait, what?  Are you banging your chest for saying that Courtland Sutton is not going to be a good pro?  Because I think that what we have seen from him already completely obliterates that notion.  He may have low short term value due to the QB conundrum, but that does not make your statement from April 2018 that seems to indicate that he wont be a good pro a correct statement worth re-posting.  Unless you also predicted that Denver would draft him and have a difficult time providing him with a competent QB.

ETA:  He is WR13 in my PPR league in his second year, playing with a horrifc QB on a bad team.

Wait, what?  Are you banging your chest for saying that Courtland Sutton is not going to be a good pro?  Because I think that what we have seen from him already completely obliterates that notion.  He may have low short term value due to the QB conundrum, but that does not make your statement from April 2018 that seems to indicate that he wont be a good pro a correct statement worth re-posting.  Unless you also predicted that Denver would draft him and have a difficult time providing him with a competent QB.

ETA:  He is WR13 in my PPR league in his second year, playing with a horrifc QB on a bad team.
Agreed. This is no longer negotiable, really.

Sutton might be handicapped in the short-term by QB play, but he's viewed as a well-respected commodity by the vast majority of the dynasty community.

Big Tex swung and missed badly on Sutton, a top 15 ranked WR in FFL points. This one trick pony can do it all and just keeps getting better.

Tex
In the running for the _____________ post of the year.  

Tex
This is a pretty bad take, Sutton has looked great so far, and yet you're claiming victory for predicting failure?  You're a good poster but you have whiffed here so far.

Hahaha nope! Not banging chest! Not claiming victory! Not nothing! Sutton is a tall, jump and catch WR! Nothing more nothing less! 

One week, 30 yds another 100, the next week 45....maybe? I’m not sure. He’ll mix in a TD every now and then to keep you boys chasing that carrot. The Broncos will draft a real #1 next year.....mark it.

;)

Tex

Hahaha nope! Not banging chest! Not claiming victory! Not nothing! Sutton is a tall, jump and catch WR! Nothing more nothing less! 

One week, 30 yds another 100, the next week 45....maybe? I’m not sure. He’ll mix in a TD every now and then to keep you boys chasing that carrot. The Broncos will draft a real #1 next year.....mark it.

;)

Tex
lol reverse jinx action

he has been under 70 yards once all year....im willing to bet he goes over 70 this week too

I would def. hold until you see what happens. To the points made above, Sutton was succeeding with an abysmal Flacco. He will take a hit for sure, but perhaps not drastically so that he's still useful in flex.

Tex
Terrible take, and not sure it's defensible in either dynasty or redraft.

He sits at 8th in reception yards. 

19th overall in receptions, 12th in yards per game, 14th overall in yards/reception.

The guy is a bonafide talent succeeding despite the offense and it's QB, and had the team comfortable enough to have them trade away their 1B receiver in Sanders.

This has to be  :fishing:

you guys kill me....he has exceeded expectations in redraft for sure....if allen sux...drew loc will be playing soon enough....bench for. abetter option?sure....drop? gtfo
Yeah I mean I'm not dropping him. Drew Lock sucks so I'm not looking forward to that. Sutton has taken a major step forward and looks great. Love him in dynasty. If they can figure out their QB situation. I just wish I felt good about him in redraft.

Alright so what do we know about Allen? 4th year QB out of Arkansas hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in the regular season. Has stuck around the league, though, and is getting a big chance. Scouting report says small hands, decent arm, fast release, good mobility (that's a big plus IMO).

They're in Buffalo this weekend, no?

ETA nope hosting the Browns

;)

Tex
Do you talk trash about all the top-15 players at their position in fantasy football?  He is a good fantasy WR (currently WR #13 in my league).  What exactly is your point?  ;)

Yeah I mean I'm not dropping him. Drew Lock sucks so I'm not looking forward to that. Sutton has taken a major step forward and looks great. Love him in dynasty. If they can figure out their QB situation. I just wish I felt good about him in redraft.

Alright so what do we know about Allen? 4th year QB out of Arkansas hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in the regular season. Has stuck around the league, though, and is getting a big chance. Scouting report says small hands, decent arm, fast release, good mobility (that's a big plus IMO).

They're in Buffalo this weekend, no?

ETA nope hosting the Browns
they play cleveland at home....and we know nothing about allen or lock from an nfl perspective....they havent played....

Courtland Sutton caught 5-of-8 targets for 56 yards and one score in Denver's Week 9 win over the Browns.

Sutton's highlight reel 21-yard touchdown saw the second-year star leap Denzel Ward to account for Brandon Allen's first career score. Although he's tied Noah Fant (3/115/1) in targets (13) the last two weeks without Emmanuel Sanders, Sutton's team-high 148 air yards in that stretch are 83 more than the rookie's 65. Sutton's sheer athleticism will continue to carry him as a WR2 over the second half of the season whether it's Allen or rookie Drew Lock under center to finish the year.

Nov 3, 2019, 8:43 PM ET

Whenever I watch Sutton play he sure seems like he's a dominant presence.

As a strategy involving bye players this week for one team manager and next week for our team I'm looking at trades. I have Sutton ranked higher then DK Metcalf and I have Hyde over my J Samuels.

Just trying to get a gauge on Sutton ROS. Seems like a high end WR 2. What's not to like except the uncertainty at QB? He's currently #1 in DEN. Surely DEN will be looking to replace Sanders and find a complement as they evaluate who they currently have.

Trying to sell high in redraft. Next week @Min then @Buf and then home vs Chargers. Better after that but if I can move him I'm going to try. Not sure if I'll get enough to actually get a deal done. Love his dynasty outlook and I really like how he has taken a 2nd year leap.

Trying to sell high in redraft. Next week @Min then @Buf and then home vs Chargers. Better after that but if I can move him I'm going to try. Not sure if I'll get enough to actually get a deal done. Love his dynasty outlook and I really like how he has taken a 2nd year leap.
For whom? 

Honestly, Sutton is a guy I don't want to trade. He seemed to get it done with Flacco, getting it done with Allen -- the guy seems to have a rock steady floor with upside every given week,

Hard to give up that production -- who are you looking to get in return? 

For whom? 

Honestly, Sutton is a guy I don't want to trade. He seemed to get it done with Flacco, getting it done with Allen -- the guy seems to have a rock steady floor with upside every given week,

Well I almost never do a one-for-one trade. I'm thinking Sutton plus James White and/or Mark Andrews for a starting RB and depth WR. Something along those lines. Right now Sutton is my 4th WR on the one team in particular that I'm thinking about moving him. His next 3 matchups suck and I'm skeptical about Allen going forward. I love him but he isn't helping me on my bench. 

Well I almost never do a one-for-one trade. I'm thinking Sutton plus James White and/or Mark Andrews for a starting RB and depth WR. Something along those lines. Right now Sutton is my 4th WR on the one team in particular that I'm thinking about moving him. His next 3 matchups suck and I'm skeptical about Allen going forward. I love him but he isn't helping me on my bench. 
That's why I am asking -- he's 3A on my team to Chark's 3B with Tyreek and Golladay.

I'm hesitant to trade him despite the every-week decision, but I've come to like having that depth as Golladay is sometime match-up dependent. And don't know if Chark will be as torrid as consistently with Foles, he had a real connection with Minshew.

For whom

I might be able to get Hyde. Who I would actually start.

That's why I am asking -- he's 3A on my team to Chark's 3B with Tyreek and Golladay.

I'm hesitant to trade him despite the every-week decision, but I've come to like having that depth as Golladay is sometime match-up dependent. And don't know if Chark will be as torrid as consistently with Foles, he had a real connection with Minshew.
Yeah I'd keep him if he were my #2 or 3. Ultimately I like Chark better. I also have Diggs and Adams. 

Courtland Sutton caught 5-of-9 targets for 113 yards in the Broncos' Week 11 loss to the Vikings, adding a 38-yard pass.

The box score doesn't capture just how good Sutton was, as he straight up bullied Xavier Rhodes. He also could have notched a 75-yard score on Rhodes on the first play from scrimmage, but Brandon Allen delivered an inaccurate ball on a play that wouldn't have counted anyways thanks to a Broncos penalty. Later in the quarter, Sutton drew a 24-yard DPI on Rhodes to set the Broncos up at the three-yard line. His 38-yard completion to Tim Patrick came on a wild cat snap to Phillip Lindsay where the running back pitched it to Sutton. Putting up huge numbers no matter who is under center for the Broncos, Sutton has a tough Week 12 test in Tre'Davious White and the Bills.

With the return of both safeties -- Derwin James and Adrian Phillips -- and Lock looking like he'll be taking his first NFL start, I am thinking of sitting Sutton in favor of RoJo. 

There is the theory of start your studs, but there are a lot of variables that have changed potentially against Sutton's favor which makes him a riskier start IMHO.

I was seeing that the are talking about starting Lock this week in Denver, so any talk about chemistry between Sutton and Lock?  Are they on the same page?  

Sitting him for Diggs,chark, and DK for the flex. Don't like the combo of SD def players returning and new QB. 

Really? Hard for me to see that.  Big wildcard with Lock and there should be some points up in Seattle.
Sutton is averaging almost 8 targets a game, and is pretty consistent each game, no matter who is qb.

Diggs is all over the place and at about 2 less targets per game. 

I agree, Lock and Seattle are things to consider. 

Users who are viewing this thread