Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Calvin Ridley, Falcons

Recommended Posts

On 1/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, menobrown said:

I see him in the Diggs, Coooper, A Brown mold. Where he falls in that spectrum who knows, but that's the kind of player he is to me and he is easily my top WR in this draft but that's a relative ranking. As in relative to right now I got 5 RB's I'd take over him, with a big stress on the right now.

I do think he's day one NFL starter and day one fantasy contributor and I'll say that before I even know where he is drafted. He's NFL ready made. 

 

 

I take him 1.3 if I need a WR, I really think his skills translate to the NFL. Landing spot will matter, and if a few RBs land in plum spots he could drop to 1.5/1.6, but I really like this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN's Mel Kiper calls Alabama WR Calvin Ridley "the best receiver in this class by a mile."

In a mock draft published Thursday, Kiper slotted Ridley No. 8 to the Bears. Ridley (6'1/188) isn't the biggest receiver, nor is he the most productive, but he did everything asked of him in Alabama's run-first offense over the past few years. Ridley posted a 63-967-5 receiving line in 2017. Most of his touches were either manufactured close to the line of scrimmage or on home-run balls when defenses cheated on an RPO and Jalen Hurts' throw wound up within Ridley's vicinity. Coming out of a poor situation to showcase all his skills, the polished Ridley may very well end up showing better in the NFL than he did in college -- Hurts just wasn't talented enough as a thrower to comfortably let Ridley run an entire route tree.

Source: ESPN 

Jan 18 - 2:19 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope to god the Bears don’t draft this guy. Will be a terrible mistake. Taking the ‘best’ WR from a weak WR class is not a good top 10 pick. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

I hope to god the Bears don’t draft this guy. Will be a terrible mistake. Taking the ‘best’ WR from a weak WR class is not a good top 10 pick. 

 

And on the same theory, coming from a 'weak' class doesn't make him a bad player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

I hope to god the Bears don’t draft this guy. Will be a terrible mistake. Taking the ‘best’ WR from a weak WR class is not a good top 10 pick. 

 

What makes this a weak class? I like Sutton, Ridley and Washington just off the top of my head.

Edited by Gandalf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I’ll say average class. Bottom line for me, regardless of the class rank, is that I don’t think Ridley is very good, definitely not top 10 pick good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Ok, I’ll say average class. Bottom line for me, regardless of the class rank, is that I don’t think Ridley is very good, definitely not top 10 pick good. 

Well then yes, if that's true, then don't draft him top 10. Why don't you like Ridley?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

I hope to god the Bears don’t draft this guy. Will be a terrible mistake. Taking the ‘best’ WR from a weak WR class is not a good top 10 pick. 

 

Early results for the 3 NFL teams who did it last year are not that good. And I agree it's a weak WR class but I like Ridley and top 10 may be a bit rich but it's close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gandalf said:

What makes this a weak class? I like Sutton, Ridley and Washington just off the top of my head.

I don’t get the love for Washington.  I think he’s going to be a complete bust at the NFL level.  I think there is a good chance Christian Kirk ends up being better than those 3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

Rank: #22

Ridley is a lean, explosive receiver who lined up both outside and in the slot for Alabama. He uses a variety of releases to escape press coverage and gets up to top speed in a hurry. He's an excellent route runner. He accelerates into the break point before snapping off and generating separation. He has strong hands to pluck low balls and tracks the deep ball naturally. Ridley is not a physical, 50-50-ball type of player -- his game is more about speed and quickness than strength and power. He's slithery after the catch and uses his speed to create chunk plays after short completions. His production was average, but that is the fault of the offense and quarterback. Overall, Ridley is more than a home-run hitter and I believe he'll be a top-tier No. 2 wideout at the next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 1:53 PM, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Why are rhe ridleys so old...for their class in college??

They both had a challenging childhood, their father was an illegal immigrant and was imported when they were young and their mother had some issues as well. They bounced around foster homes and I believe during some of this moving around they may have lost a year. These boys are tough Riley is going to be good. He was “encouraged” to take a closer look at Georgia before signing on with a College. The head coach at Georgia is a former Tide coach along with a few assistants and one from Miami who was either close to the family are very familiar with them.

Tex

Edited by BigTex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 8:04 AM, Gandalf said:

What makes this a weak class? I like Sutton, Ridley and Washington just off the top of my head.

 

On 1/19/2018 at 10:51 AM, Raback said:

I don’t get the love for Washington.  I think he’s going to be a complete bust at the NFL level.  I think there is a good chance Christian Kirk ends up being better than those 3 

Disagree on Washington but agree on Kirk.

I want to like Ridley more than I do, just wasn't overly impressed with him in the games I saw. Part of that is probably QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, -OZ- said:

 

Disagree on Washington but agree on Kirk.

I want to like Ridley more than I do, just wasn't overly impressed with him in the games I saw. Part of that is probably QB.

I think I’m going to have to reassess Washington.  I put him on my do not draft list due to his measurables and coming from Oklahoma St. but he keeps drawing rave reviews so I’m going to have to delve a bit deeper on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, Rhythmdoctor said:

I hope to god the Bears don’t draft this guy. Will be a terrible mistake. Taking the ‘best’ WR from a weak WR class is not a good top 10 pick. 

 

Its a weak class in that there isnt a can't miss julio or aj green. And the top rbs are generally perceived to be better dynasty ff players. However players like kirk and gallup are shining ...washington is a mix of good reviews but some draftniks dont like him. Ridley and sutton.....good year to have a late first if you need a wr because i think the value at that position will slide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s hilarious when people proclaim this is not a strong WR class. This may or may not be true, but just to dismiss these guys is short sighted. We’re AB, D. Thomas, K. Allen, S. Diggs, A. Thielen, J. Nelson, D. Baldwin being touted as stud WRs coming out of college?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, petekrum said:

I think it’s hilarious when people proclaim this is not a strong WR class. This may or may not be true, but just to dismiss these guys is short sighted. We’re AB, D. Thomas, K. Allen, S. Diggs, A. Thielen, J. Nelson, D. Baldwin being touted as stud WRs coming out of college?

I think DT was considered a stud, really raw but a stud. Jordy was close and I think most people knew what was in store in that he'd be stuck behind Jennings and or Driver to start but was a good long term play if you could be patient. DT and Jordy were high NFL draft picks, not like most of the others you mention.

As for the Diggs, Thielen, Baldwin, AB type I'd ask how many of them did you identify coming out as players you were targeting to draft AND hold an open roster spot for them while they developed because you believed in them? For me the answer is zero of this group of players. And even with a guy like Baldwin who I picked up in some leagues his rookie year and I held for more than a year I still ended up cutting before he broke out years later. I'd have cut a few of those guys in year one if I'd have drafted them.

The field is always going to have some hits but it's a different ballgame trying to actually identify that guy out of a myriad of candidates when you only have one or two shots and again it's not just drafting them but drafting them and feeling like they are worth holding while they develop.

So for me when I say a draft is thin at WR, and this one while a bit deeper then last year is thin to me, I mean that in the sense of it's very thin in terms of the amount of WR's I feel like I would not only target drafting but feel like they are worth holding onto if like most of these players you referenced they don't flash early or get playing time.

I'd add I play in mainly FFPC rule leagues which require off season cuts to what amounts to 14 position players max plus D/K for 16 and increases to 18/20 in season.  Larger type rosters probably make some of the WR's a bit more attractive since it's easier to hold while they develop so I'm looking at this from tight roster angle.

Edited by menobrown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, petekrum said:

I think it’s hilarious when people proclaim this is not a strong WR class. This may or may not be true, but just to dismiss these guys is short sighted. We’re AB, D. Thomas, K. Allen, S. Diggs, A. Thielen, J. Nelson, D. Baldwin being touted as stud WRs coming out of college?

I loved diggs. Kid was a beast early on at,maryland then got hurt. Drafted him late in dyno that year...3rd round picks i believe.

Dthomas i recall was considered a stud but georgia tech dont throw. 

Iirc keenan allen sufferwd from,awful qb play. Much like kirk did at texas a&m.

Im going to use this 'weak' consensus to my advantage and perhapas move back from the 1.4 1.5 range and add some of these wrs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't doubt that there will be later round gems, but I do doubt that anyone will be able to pick them with consistency. It seems like there's a good group of top talent in this class and then darts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

I loved diggs. Kid was a beast early on at,maryland then got hurt. Drafted him late in dyno that year...3rd round picks i believe.

Dthomas i recall was considered a stud but georgia tech dont throw. 

Iirc keenan allen sufferwd from,awful qb play. Much like kirk did at texas a&m.

Im going to use this 'weak' consensus to my advantage and perhapas move back from the 1.4 1.5 range and add some of these wrs

Agreed, I believe people have confused weak with balanced. This is not a weak class IMHO it’s a more balanced class. Tier 1 has Washington, Sutton, Ridley and Kirk. Grab any one of these guys at the top and someone will agree with you. Tiers 2: Gallup, Ateman, Scott, Johnson and a case could be made for Lazard in this Tier. A case could be made for Gallup in Tier 1 as well. This is what I believe might be confusing people There’s not just that one Top Tier WR, there’s several in this class having a more balanced class that’s rich in talent. If I can come away with two of these guys I’ll be happy.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTex said:

Agreed, I believe people have confused weak with balanced. This is not a weak class IMHO it’s a more balanced class. Tier 1 has Washington, Sutton, Ridley and Kirk. Grab any one of these guys at the top and someone will agree with you. Tiers 2: Gallup, Ateman, Scott, Johnson and a case could be made for Lazard in this Tier. A case could be made for Gallup in Tier 1 as well. This is what I believe might be confusing people There’s not just that one Top Tier WR, there’s several in this class having a more balanced class that’s rich in talent. If I can come away with two of these guys I’ll be happy.

Tex

They’re all grouped together. Landing spot will make a big difference- scheme and qb will mean a lot more to me with this class than 40 time and past production. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigTex said:

Agreed, I believe people have confused weak with balanced. This is not a weak class IMHO it’s a more balanced class. Tier 1 has Washington, Sutton, Ridley and Kirk. Grab any one of these guys at the top and someone will agree with you. Tiers 2: Gallup, Ateman, Scott, Johnson and a case could be made for Lazard in this Tier. A case could be made for Gallup in Tier 1 as well. This is what I believe might be confusing people There’s not just that one Top Tier WR, there’s several in this class having a more balanced class that’s rich in talent. If I can come away with two of these guys I’ll be happy.

Tex

A little early for tiers...and you didnt even mention players like auden tate , e.st.brown , deon cain, simmie cobbs and dj moore.....

Which johnson are you referring to?

Edited by bicycle_seat_sniffer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say after watching some film, I love Washington. He reminds me of Antonio Brown. He looks great catching the ball and is aggressive. He needs to land in the right spot to be a WR1 but even if he doesn’t I see him as a WR2 worst case at peak.

I like Ridley too but he’s so thin and that makes me nervous.

Edited by Gandalf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 11:18 AM, menobrown said:

I think DT was considered a stud, really raw but a stud. Jordy was close and I think most people knew what was in store in that he'd be stuck behind Jennings and or Driver to start but was a good long term play if you could be patient. DT and Jordy were high NFL draft picks, not like most of the others you mention.

Neither of these guys were considered anywhere near "stud" prospects, especially not if the argument is that there are no stud prospects in this year's class.  There are probably multiple WRs that will be picked higher this year than either DT/Jordy were, and that's even with a relative dearth of competition at WR the year DT came out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Neither of these guys were considered anywhere near "stud" prospects, especially not if the argument is that there are no stud prospects in this year's class.  There are probably multiple WRs that will be picked higher this year than either DT/Jordy were, and that's even with a relative dearth of competition at WR the year DT came out.

 

Sorry but I just don't agree with that take. I don't really care to compare draft range across classes, no one I know thinks or though John Ross was a stud and he just went 9th. But in DT's draft class he went ahead of Dez. DT had the size and all the physical characteristics of a stud. And while I did not label Jordy a  stud he was easily identifiable as a hold, and as I mentioned unlike the other examples these are to high picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, menobrown said:

 

Sorry but I just don't agree with that take. I don't really care to compare draft range across classes, no one I know thinks or though John Ross was a stud and he just went 9th. But in DT's draft class he went ahead of Dez. DT had the size and all the physical characteristics of a stud. And while I did not label Jordy a  stud he was easily identifiable as a hold, and as I mentioned unlike the other examples these are to high picks.

Dez dropped because of off the field issues.

DT as a prospect was in a similar class to guys like Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman, etc.  A nice prospect near the top of his class because there was not a really bevy of stud alternatives.  Even in the lateish 1st a lot of people thought the DT pick was a reach.  The difference between him and those other prospects among many others was that he worked out where they did not, so in hindsight he's being labeled a stud.

He certainly was not the Julio/Megatron/AJG/Fitz/Watkins/Cooper type stud prospect where teams just had to have him and were willing to commit to him early regardless of team need.  If we could take the top 3 prospects from each class over the last 15 years and somehow forget what they did in the NFL and rate them against each other just as prospects, he would likely slot somewhere in the middle.

If I recall he was barely even a mid-1st round pick in dynasty rookie drafts.  EDIT: Actually I just looked it up, his ADP was 1.07.  Dez was 1.02 which gives you an idea of who people considered a better prospect and by how much.  Julio/Megatron/AJG/Fitz/Watkins/Cooper all top 3 ADP in rookie drafts.

Edited by FreeBaGeL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Dez dropped because of off the field issues.

DT as a prospect was in a similar class to guys like Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman, etc.  A nice prospect near the top of his class because there was not a really bevy of stud alternatives.  Even in the lateish 1st a lot of people thought the DT pick was a reach.  The difference between him and those other prospects among many others was that he worked out where they did not, so in hindsight he's being labeled a stud.

He certainly was not the Julio/Megatron/AJG/Fitz/Watkins/Cooper type stud prospect where teams just had to have him and were willing to commit to him early regardless of team need.  If we could take the top 3 prospects from each class over the last 15 years and somehow forget what they did in the NFL and rate them against each other just as prospects, he would likely slot somewhere in the middle.

If I recall he was barely even a mid-1st round pick in dynasty rookie drafts.  EDIT: Actually I just looked it up, his ADP was 1.07.  Dez was 1.02 which gives you an idea of who people considered a better prospect and by how much.  Julio/Megatron/AJG/Fitz/Watkins/Cooper all top 3 ADP in rookie drafts.

I think you can speculate Dez dropped due to off the field issues but you don't know that and I don't care to get bogged down into a discussion of what a fits your definition of a stud.

So we can agree to disagree on DT but you are missing the crux of my whole point because you decided to drill this down to a debate of if DT was a stud or not. The point is a guy like DT and Jordy were not fliers, the other people in the list I responded to where fliers. A guy who is not a flier is the kind of player you keep even if they show you nothing early. Like a Treadwell.  I'm trying to illustrate that even when guys like Thielen and Brown hit it's often  not to the team who drafted them because they lacked the pedigree to hang onto them for the long haul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone that took DT at 7 in his rookie draft that year, IMO he was a much better prospect that Coleman or Doctson (both of whom I also drafted unfortunately.) The problem was he broke his foot and couldn't do any drills leading up to the draft and people were worried his foot wouldn't heal right. DT was reported to run in the mid 4.3's prior to breaking his foot which would have been amazing measurables for a guy his size at 6'3" 225 and a comparable athletic profile to guys like Fitz & Andre at the time. While not a surefire stud prospect, he was much more than a flier.

Physical traits aren't everything of course, but the only guy in this class that will come close to the physical specimen that DT was as a prospect might be Sutton, but he's probably going to run a lot slower than DT's reportedly mid 4.3ish speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridley has excellent route running chops but I’m not that impressed with the rest of his game. He gets wide open at times on double moves but doesn’t seem to separate off the line. Decent speed but doesn’t pull away from defenders imo. Seems to get tackled with space in front of him. Gets caught and tackled inside the 5 a lot. Gets what’s blocked on a screen but doesn’t have that 2nd gear to outrun defenders. Long speed, lacks acceleration. Can juke a defender but gets caught eventually. Good hands. Not very physical, needs to add some muscle to that frame or dbs will manhandle him at the line. 

I need to watch more of him, but what am I missing? Seems his skill set would fit a team like New Orleans where he can be a complimentary piece, not the focal point of the offense. The Kenny stills role. I came away more impressed with Kirk and Sutton. As I keep saying for every rookie this year, the combine will tell a lot and separate some of these guys out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He reminds me of Marvin Harrison when he came out of college.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 4:03 PM, menobrown said:

 

Sorry but I just don't agree with that take. I don't really care to compare draft range across classes, no one I know thinks or though John Ross was a stud and he just went 9th. But in DT's draft class he went ahead of Dez. DT had the size and all the physical characteristics of a stud. And while I did not label Jordy a  stud he was easily identifiable as a hold, and as I mentioned unlike the other examples these are to high picks.

Interesting.  Jordy's best season in his first 3 years in the league was 582 yds and 2 TDs.  So while he was easily identifiable as a hold, you had to hold him 3 full seasons before getting any return from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

He reminds me of Marvin Harrison when he came out of college.

Is he anywhere near as fast as Harrison was as a prospect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Is he anywhere near as fast as Harrison was as a prospect?

I was going to compare him to pre injury broyles but broyles looks faster. I’ll bump him if he runs in the 4.4s and is heavier than his 190 LBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 7:05 AM, JohnnyU said:

He reminds me of Marvin Harrison when he came out of college.

Marvin got a lot better in the NFL than anyone thought he would. 

Don't expect that from Ridley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Marvin got a lot better in the NFL than anyone thought he would. 

Don't expect that from Ridley.

Why is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Why is that?

Same reason as we shouldn't expect most of these guys to become one of the best ever at his position. 

I don't mind the comparison, you're not the first to make it. But I don't see that level of upside with Ridley. Of course, he won't have Peyton Manning either. 

I think he's more Amari Cooper than Marvin, but Cooper was also compared to Marvin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Marvin got a lot better in the NFL than anyone thought he would. 

Don't expect that from Ridley.

Depends on his QB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

cuz marv had Peyton manning

 

Story hasn't been written for Ridley and he's being cast as not having a chance to be very good.  Perhaps he gets to play with a stud QB as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnnyU said:

Story hasn't been written for Ridley and he's being cast as not having a chance to be very good.  Perhaps he gets to play with a stud QB as well.

Over analysis. His stats at bama stink and hes 'too old'. Kid has the goods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 8:17 AM, Gandalf said:

Well then yes, if that's true, then don't draft him top 10. Why don't you like Ridley?

 

Sorry I never saw this.  He runs great routes and catches fine but I think he lacks concentration and effort more than I'd like and he doesn't seem very fast.  He's quick, not fast.  He turned 23 in December.  I don't think he's going to be a WR1 in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Sorry I never saw this.  He runs great routes and catches fine but I think he lacks concentration and effort more than I'd like and he doesn't seem very fast.  He's quick, not fast.  He turned 23 in December.  I don't think he's going to be a WR1 in the NFL.

He’s also been rumored to weigh 180 something. 

Edited by Gandalf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said Alabama WR Calvin Ridley will "become predominantly a slot receiver in the NFL."

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein is more bullish on Ridley (6'1/190), comparing him to Hall of Fame WR Marvin Harrison. Zierlein continues by saying "Ridley has game-changing talent complete with blazing speed and rare route-running ability for a college prospect. He ran the full route tree at Alabama, has experience working in a pro-style attack and is a plug-and-play starter on day one." Ridley's an older prospect at age 24 and has plenty of upside as Zierlein mentions, but does have some concerns about dealing with press coverage. This is likely where Mayock's idea of Ridley playing mostly in the slot comes from.

Source: Ryan Mink on Twitter 

Feb 26 - 9:02 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Faust said:

 

It seems like being a slot receiver used to make the wr worth less than it does today. I'll completely agree that Ridley is probably best suited for the slot, but perhaps with a bit of Keenan Allen to his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, JohnnyU said:

Story hasn't been written for Ridley and he's being cast as not having a chance to be very good.  Perhaps he gets to play with a stud QB as well.

Nobody should be saying that. I think he will be very good. A top 20 wr in ppr. I don't think he'll quite get into the elite, but I'll be happy to have underestimated him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.