What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

Yep, you are correct and I was wrong.  That’s what I get for not double checking.  He was still old as a freshman and was 21 when he played in his first bowl game.  That’s significant, IMO.  I can state with certainty my 20 yr old self would have schooled my 18 yr old self badly.
But you wouldn't have schooled a 20 year old college DB. 

Your original point was that he was only putting up numbers because he was playing against guys that were younger than him, which is a mis-representation. As a freshman who was immediately his team's #1 WR he was typically lining up against opposing team's best DB, which was usually an upper classman. 

He was a 20 year old with no college experience schooling a bunch of 20 year olds with 2 years of college experience. That's not the same as if he had only played well when he was a 23 year old lining up against a bunch of 20 year olds. 

Obviously the ideal scenario is to be an 18 year old schooling 20 year olds like AJ Green, but then he would probably be a top 5 nfl pick so lacking that is probably already built into his value. 

The bottom line is his age when he started schooling guys isn't a positive (he wasn't younger than them), but it's not really a negative either (he didn't struggle when he was the same age as them). It's kind of a wash but it certainly isn't this scenario where he failed at a normal age and then could only excel when he was more mature than everyone else as it is being painted as. 

But you wouldn't have schooled a 20 year old college DB. 

Your original point was that he was only putting up numbers because he was playing against guys that were younger than him, which is a mis-representation. As a freshman who was immediately his team's #1 WR he was typically lining up against opposing team's best DB, which was usually an upper classman. 

He was a 20 year old with no college experience schooling a bunch of 20 year olds with 2 years of college experience. That's not the same as if he had only played well when he was a 23 year old lining up against a bunch of 20 year olds. 

Obviously the ideal scenario is to be an 18 year old schooling 20 year olds like AJ Green, but then he would probably be a top 5 nfl pick so lacking that is probably already built into his value. 

The bottom line is his age when he started schooling guys isn't a positive (he wasn't younger than them), but it's not really a negative either (he didn't struggle when he was the same age as them). It's kind of a wash but it certainly isn't this scenario where he failed at a normal age and then could only excel when he was more mature than everyone else as it is being painted as. 

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.  I’m not persuaded by your argument.

Ridley didn't exactly dominate defenses his first 2 seasons, at least not statistically. Over the 2015-16 seasons, Alabama actually had a lower YPT when throwing to Ridley (7.7 YPT) than when throwing elsewhere (8.1 YPT). Over those 2 years, Ridley accounted for 29.3% of Alabama's targets, 28.5% of their receptions, 28.4% of their receiving yards, 31.3% of their receiving TDs, and 29.2% of their successful passing plays.

FreeBaGeL said:
And Julio Jones. 
:lmao:

Ridley: 6'0", 189 lbs, 4.43 40, 31" Vert, 110" Broad Jump, 6.88 sec 3-cone, 4.41 shuttle

Julio: 6'3", 220 lbs, 4.39 40, 38.5" Vert, 135" Broad Jump, 6.66 sec 3-cone, 4.25 shuttle

Julio did his drills with a broken bone in his foot too. Ridley is three inches shorter, 30 lbs lighter and still slower and less explosive than Julio. The only thing you can say they have in common is that they went to the same school 7 years apart.

:lmao:

Ridley: 6'0", 189 lbs, 4.43 40, 31" Vert, 110" Broad Jump, 6.88 sec 3-cone, 4.41 shuttle

Julio: 6'3", 220 lbs, 4.39 40, 38.5" Vert, 135" Broad Jump, 6.66 sec 3-cone, 4.25 shuttle

Julio did his drills with a broken bone in his foot too. Ridley is three inches shorter, 30 lbs lighter and still slower and less explosive than Julio. The only thing you can say they have in common is that they went to the same school 7 years apart.
All of which has less than zero to do with the context of what you were quoting. 

First off, I love these breakdowns. This one strikes me as odd though. There are 2 clips. One is a slant, where Ridley cuts inside, but then goes upfield another 5-8 yds and his defender runs into the other wr. I don’t like this route at all- they love how he seems to know to run the guy up there to get some contact, but I see 2 things here. 

1. He breaks off the route he’s supposed to run, which is a quick drop timing route. Nfl coaches don’t like freelancing like this, do they?

2. Why run a slant like that? He either knows the other  wr is going to slow up (an extremely crafty pick play?) or he got lucky that the wr slowed down just then and ridleys defender runs into him. 

Neither of these things scream “great route running” to me, but it’s one clip. 

The second clip I fail to see anything Ridley does in the route other than run by the guy. Not the best clip by any means. 

Add in the last paragraph where he dropped 9% of catchable balls and is undersized with an underwhelming combine and I’ll still pass. Best case scenario he has a golden Tate type career, running the slot in a west coast system, but I don’t think he has the yac ability Tate has. 

Its funny, I’m about to type “I wouldn’t draft him unless he fell to me in rd 2” which won’t likely happen. I’ve read this statement in the Sutton thread and shake my head, and no doubt Ridley lovers will shake their head at me. All the WRs have pros/cons, and everyone seems to have a different top 5. 

Ridley didn't exactly dominate defenses his first 2 seasons, at least not statistically. Over the 2015-16 seasons, Alabama actually had a lower YPT when throwing to Ridley (7.7 YPT) than when throwing elsewhere (8.1 YPT). Over those 2 years, Ridley accounted for 29.3% of Alabama's targets, 28.5% of their receptions, 28.4% of their receiving yards, 31.3% of their receiving TDs, and 29.2% of their successful passing plays.
 The percentages are interesting but when you're comparing a team with a lot of pro talent like the tide, I'm not entirely sure how to assess the breakdown other than as a freshman, Ridley was the top receiver for the best team in the nation.

how many freshmen would get 25% more targets than Stewart, 125% more than Howard, 200% more than Drake; with Jake coker as QB, while the tide passed a lot less than they ran? 

All of which has less than zero to do with the context of what you were quoting. 
You were the one trying to imply that Ridley is comparable to Julio by your pithy statement. People werent making excuses for Julio saying "but just get him away from Alabama" because they dudnt need to make any excuses for him. He was an elite prospect in every since of word that went 6th overall and that a team traded 5 premium draft picks to acquire. Ridley has major question marks to overcome so people have to make excuses to justify his ranking. He may not even go in the 1st round (although I expect he still will.)

Alabama HC Nick Saban compares WR Calvin Ridley to Keenan McCardell "but probably with more speed."

"He reminds me of like Keenan McCardell but probably with more speed," said Saban. "He’ll make a lot of plays in the league." This is a pretty strong comp. McCardell was a very crafty route runner who came into the league with mediocre testing numbers (6'0/175 with a 4.55 forty and a vertical of 36 1/2). McCardell ranks No. 23 all-time in receptions (883), but he was never a dominant No. 1 receiver. Ridley (6'0/189), who likewise underwhelmed during the pre-Draft process, could be headed for the same career path.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 24 - 3:50 PM

Falcons selected Alabama WR Calvin Ridley with the No. 26 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Ridley (6’1/189) started all three years for the Crimson Tide before turning pro, finishing second in Alabama history in career receptions (224) and receiving TDs (19), and third in receiving yards (2,781). Although Ridley is an explosive route runner and smooth separator with 4.43 jets, he dropped 20 passes in three college seasons, lacks a physical element to his game, and turns 24 in December, making Ridley old for a rookie. Long term, Ridley still offers in-his-prime Chad Johnson upside with a Marqise Lee floor. Nick Saban compared Ridley to old Jaguars WR Keenan McCardell. He'll round out a dangerous three-wideout corps as Ridley aligns with Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu.

Apr 26 - 10:59 PM

Great offense. Great QB. Great surrounding cast. Will never see a double-team. Won't ever be elite but should flirt with WR3/4 value right out of the gate.

Can't imagine a better landing spot for him other than Green Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Sarkisian is a good Offensive Coordinator, but he has at least worked with Ridley and knows what he's capable of. Hopefully he can get the most out of him and not squander the talent like he has with the rest of the Falcons offense. 

Great offense. Great QB. Great surrounding cast. Will never see a double-team. Won't ever be elite but should flirt with WR3/4 value right out of the gate.

Can't imagine a better landing spot for him other than Green Bay.
I agree, awesome landing spot.

please don't do that, Quinn. that's the quickest way to end his season and ruin his future.
This is a common opinion but where does it come from?  Logically it seems like returning punts would be dangerous, but is it actually?  What major injuries have there been returning punts among the thousands of punts every year that people can even think of?  I can't even think of one offhand.

Antonio Brown and DeSean Jackson have been returning punts their whole career.  Have either of them ever even missed a single game because of it?

This is a common opinion but where does it come from?  Logically it seems like returning punts would be dangerous, but is it actually?  What major injuries have there been returning punts among the thousands of punts every year that people can even think of?  I can't even think of one offhand.

Antonio Brown and DeSean Jackson have been returning punts their whole career.  Have either of them ever even missed a single game because of it?
I don't mind my RB/WR returning punts but I can't stand it when they return kickoffs. I think teams understand this, it's pretty common for star WR's to return punts, you don't see a lot of established players returning kickoffs. Look at Reek Hill as example, as he evolved into a legit top flight WR they removed him from kickoff returns but kept him as a punt returner.

NFL Training Camps: Julio Jones gets red zone work, rave reviews for Ridley and more Falcons chatter

Excerpt:

Ridley turning heads from the jump

A player the Falcons are raving about his fellow receiver Calvin Ridley, the rookie first-round pick from Alabama. He will be a nice addition to the Falcons helping to give them another speed dimension outside. He had a nice catch-and-run on a crossing route in Friday's practice.

Jones raved about Ridley's desire to be good, saying he soaks up advice from both Jones and fellow receiver Mohamed Sanu.

Ryan's face lit up during an interview on Thursday when Ridley's name came up.

"I think he's a dynamic player," Ryan said. "He's different from some of the guys we have. Obviously, Julio is big, strong and just physical. When you see him walk through the door, you're gong, 'Oh, my gosh, this guy is intimidating.

"Calvin is different. He moves differently. He has a great change of direction. He has some really good top-end speed. He's kind of impressed me with that. He's faster than I thought, and I thought he was fast coming in. He's got another gear he can kick into."

With Ridley and Jones outside to go with Sanu inside, it will be a lot tougher to double Jones every snap, or to cheat the safety over the top as much as defenses have done over the past few seasons.

Falcons WR Calvin Ridley suffered a hamstring injury Saturday.

The Falcons will receive an update on Ridley's injury tomorrow, though it initially appears to be minor. Falcons DE Takk McKinley also suffered a hamstring bruise Saturday. Ridley stands to run a majority of his routes opposite Julio Jones while Mohamed Sanu and Austin Hooper man the middle of the field this season.

Related: Falcons

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter 

Jul 28 - 12:16 PM

Calvin Ridley caught 3-of-5 passes for 49 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' second preseason game.

Ridley was Atlanta's No. 1 receiver with Julio Jones sitting out. He played with the starters, but his touchdown came with Matt Schaub in. The Falcons are counting on Ridley for a big rookie-year role in what should be one of the league's highest scoring offenses. Ridley is going to see a lot of single coverage opposite Jones.

Aug 17 - 9:11 PM

Good for Atlanta, but bad for fantasy owners that he landed there as second fiddle to Julio. Seems like he could be a true #1 WR for a lot of teams.

Good for Atlanta, but bad for fantasy owners that he landed there as second fiddle to Julio. Seems like he could be a true #1 WR for a lot of teams.
100%. For all the talk there is of the other rookies, Ridley is an ascending talent that we see very little about in the FF world. 

Julio turns 30 in five months.
Right, seems like a smart move by Atlanta not too dissimilar to when they took Julio as Roddy was entering the final phase of his career. 

Also, we can't forget how successful the 2 of them were together. 

2011: Julio 959/8  White 1296/8

2012: 1198/10  White 1351/7

Right, seems like a smart move by Atlanta not too dissimilar to when they took Julio as Roddy was entering the final phase of his career. 

Also, we can't forget how successful the 2 of them were together. 

2011: Julio 959/8  White 1296/8

2012: 1198/10  White 1351/7
Fair points above. Julio seems to be more of a target monster than Roddy was and 30 isn’t exactly over the hill for WRs. But as someone noted, the wear and tear may start to catch up to Julio - maybe not this year, but beyond.

Fair points above. Julio seems to be more of a target monster than Roddy was and 30 isn’t exactly over the hill for WRs. But as someone noted, the wear and tear may start to catch up to Julio - maybe not this year, but beyond.
I agree with you that Julio seems to be similar to Calvin in that he takes a ton of punishment and always seems to have some nagging problem. Roddy was not as good as Julio- he didn't have the big play potential but White was a target hog. White had 6 years as a dominant WR and here were his targets: 130, 149, 165,179, 179, 143. Julio's had 6 years as a dominant WR1 and here are his targets: 128, 60 (5 games), 163, 203, 129, 148.  The italicized numbers represent years where White and Julio played together. 

Calvin Ridley was held without a catch on two targets in the Falcons' Week 1 loss to the Eagles.

Pro Football Focus charted Ridley as playing 45 snaps, so he was on the field enough to make an impact. He simply didn't get the opportunity with Matt Ryan going off the rails. The Falcons' top-heavy offense will probably try to force the issue with its first-round receiver at some point but there is no way of knowing when that might translate to re-draft value.

Sep 7 - 1:19 AM

Get used to the 0 catches, sarkisian is too stupid to get him the ball. Heck he doesn't even give it it to his rb1 after the 1st quarter.

Get used to the 0 catches, sarkisian is too stupid to get him the ball. Heck he doesn't even give it it to his rb1 after the 1st quarter.

So you’re saying that Ridley isn’t running routes in the progression, or that Sarkisian is instructing Ryan to intentionally ignore Ridley?

I didn’t see Ridley running open anywhere, so I really can’t answer the question.

Then why was he playing into the 4th quarter?  Decoy?
He hurt his knee in the 1Q, tried to play through it later and then was listed as "questionable to return" in the 4Q when they held him out - that's according to the announcers and from what I read today.

Users who are viewing this thread