What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

Calvin Ridley caught 6-of-9 targets for 71 yards and a touchdown in Atlanta's Week 9 win at Washington.

Ridley got checked for a concussion late in the game, but returned. His touchdown came on a crossing route from 40 yards out with multiple big downfield blocks via Mohamed Sanu. Ridley's week-to-week target volume has not been bankable, but he has clearly passed Sanu as Atlanta's No. 2 passing-game option. Keep Ridley rolling as a WR2/3 in Week 10 at Cleveland.

Nov 4 - 4:34 PM

5 more takeaways from Falcons 2019 OTAs

Excerpt:

Calvin Ridley says he’s faster

Another player who has stood out at OTAs is second-year wide receiver Calvin Ridley, who drew a lot of praise from coaches on Thursday.

Coach Dan Quinn says Ridley has improved his aggressiveness in going after the ball.

William McFadden @willmcfadden

Dan Quinn says a big improvement he’s seen in Calvin Ridley is his aggressiveness in going to catch the ball. #Falcons

12:05 PM - May 30, 2019

For what it’s worth, Ridley says that he’s playing faster than he did last season as a rookie.

Kelsey Conway @FalconsKelsey

Calvin Ridley said he thought he played fast last year but he’s “definitely” playing faster this year #Falcons

11:52 AM - May 30, 2019

Sometimes it takes two or three seasons for a pro wide receiver to really catch up to the speed at this level. Ridley came into the NFL much more polished than your average rookie, though.

If the game is truly slowing down for Ridley already, he has some nightmarish potential.

I wanted to bump this thread (I searched and this is the only thread I could find about Ridley) to see what everyone thinks of him heading into the 2019 season. 

Sanu continues to hang around and there is a lot of talk about Hooper taking a big step forward and becoming a bigger part of the Atlanta offense this year.  Ridley flashed some serious talent last year, but he also dropped a lot of balls.  Do we think he can step up and replace or phase out Sanu as the true number 2 option in this offense?  I worry he will be a weekly hit or miss with so many mouths to feed.  Thanks.

Silver & Black said:
I wanted to bump this thread (I searched and this is the only thread I could find about Ridley) to see what everyone thinks of him heading into the 2019 season. 

Sanu continues to hang around and there is a lot of talk about Hooper taking a big step forward and becoming a bigger part of the Atlanta offense this year.  Ridley flashed some serious talent last year, but he also dropped a lot of balls.  Do we think he can step up and replace or phase out Sanu as the true number 2 option in this offense?  I worry he will be a weekly hit or miss with so many mouths to feed.  Thanks.
He’s commented that he feels like he is playing faster/smoother in Year 2 which for a guy who had precision route running as a key attribute coming into the NFL, is a good sign.  I kind of feel he supplanted Sanu as the #2 WR last year already.  I know their numbers were very similar, but he felt like the bigger threat.

Yes, there are a lot of mouths to feed...but if there is anyone who is hurt by that, I think it’s Julio believe it or not.  And not in a bad way...could still see Julio putting up a 90/1450/9 type year, but that would represent a pull back.

He’s commented that he feels like he is playing faster/smoother in Year 2 which for a guy who had precision route running as a key attribute coming into the NFL, is a good sign.  I kind of feel he supplanted Sanu as the #2 WR last year already.  I know their numbers were very similar, but he felt like the bigger threat.

Yes, there are a lot of mouths to feed...but if there is anyone who is hurt by that, I think it’s Julio believe it or not.  And not in a bad way...could still see Julio putting up a 90/1450/9 type year, but that would represent a pull back.
I can see a scenario where the Falcons dont run the ball that much and pass attempts are well over 600 attempts to go around.

Great post, thanks.  But what about Hooper.  Hearing lots of hype about him being more involved this year as well.  And I thought I read very early on in the offseason that they didn't want to air it out quite so much and wanted to be a bit more balanced this year.  I was really hoping Sanu got cut, he has a hefty salary figure this year.....

Great post, thanks.  But what about Hooper.  Hearing lots of hype about him being more involved this year as well.  And I thought I read very early on in the offseason that they didn't want to air it out quite so much and wanted to be a bit more balanced this year.  I was really hoping Sanu got cut, he has a hefty salary figure this year.....
I wrote this on the Falcons MB earlier this off-season...the key points were

1) Ridley was feast-or-famine his rookie year...more famine; 6 great games, 10 very subpar games.
2) When he feasted, the Falcons offense was ridiculously productive and efficient (especially Ryan)...and not at the expense of other components.

So from my POV...and I'm a Falcons fan so I dig into this stuff, I'd really try and get Ridley going in 2019.  If he makes the Year 1/Year 2 leap like we see players do, it helps unlock the diversity of their offense in a way few teams can match (or limit).

Hooper & Sanu are nice safety vales and Ryan is adept and knowing when to go them, but they don't profile and field tilters.  Ridley does.  I'm hoping we see more consistency from him.  If the Falcons do...could be big.

Calvin Ridley tweaked his right hamstring during Thursday's practice.

Ridley briefly tried to play through it but was later looked at by trainers. He was a spectator for 11-on-11 drills. It's too early to speculate on the severity of his injury, though we're guessing the Falcons are simply playing it safe with their prized sophomore receiver. Ridley led all rookies in both receiving yards (821) and touchdowns (10) last season.

SOURCE: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Jul 25, 2019, 10:14 AM ET

Coach Dan Quinn said Calvin Ridley (hamstring) should be back on the field "on the next turn through."

The second-year wideout tweaked his hammy at practice on Thursday, but Quinn didn't sound concerned. "He had a tight hamstring," Quinn said. "He looked good, but we didn’t want, at this space, guys are really pushing to make anything where it could go longer." This injury shouldn't affect Ridley's stock too much as a mid-round pick.

SOURCE: AtlantaFalcons.com

Jul 25, 2019, 4:39 PM ET

Calvin Ridley (hamstring) did not practice on Saturday.

After coach Dan Quinn said he was expecting his No. 2 wideout to practice today back on Thursday, Quinn said today Ridley is day-to-day and it could be 3-5 days to allow him to get right. Ridley did have a minor hammy issue last season, but it was due to a bruise and not the current tightness he's dealing with right now. He should have plenty of time to heal and this shouldn't affect his price in drafts as a WR3 with upside.

SOURCE: Vaughn Mcclure on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 11:39 AM ET

I am keeping a close eye on this. I feel like I’m splitting hairs with him and a handful of others.

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
Apologies if this has been discussed but is Ridley starting opposite Jones? Is Sanu still ahead of him? Does it matter?
Either Alex Marvez said to DQ, or DQ said himself, that Sanu would be in slot. If it was Marvez, DQ did not correct him otherwise. 

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Calvin Ridley (hamstring) has looked fully healthy since returning to practice.

"We did a good job to make sure that he was fully himself, with his strength, his quickness and his explosion," Quinn said. "It was great to have his energy back out there." Ridley missed two weeks of training camp, but he's back to 100 percent. The Falcons should get Ridley some snaps in their second preseason game.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Aug 13, 2019, 12:52 PM ET

Couple of more things on Ridley as I wrote on him last month:

1) Decent chance they don't play a bad weather game all year.  Away games @ IND, @ HOU, @ ARI, @ MIN, @ SF...along with three division tilts.  5 weather controlled environments and CAR, TB, SF.  Good for passing games.

2) Sanu is coming off a career year.  He's likely though in his last year with the Falcons.  The 3-4 year outlook for this passing attack is centered around Ryan/Julio/Ridley.  That transition starts to take effect in earnest this year.

3) Ryan doesn't get alot of love (#62 on NFL Top 100? - really?) but 2 of the last 3 seasons he's put up 5000/35 numbers.  If you believe this offense is that type of offense, there is a 85/1200/8-9 season out there for Ridley.  Compare that to DJ Moore who has a QB that's only averaging 225 passing yards/game over the last 6 seasons (compared to Ryan 289)?  Just the difference in passing yards alone is a 1000+ yards/season.

Couple of more things on Ridley as I wrote on him last month:

1) Decent chance they don't play a bad weather game all year.  Away games @ IND, @ HOU, @ ARI, @ MIN, @ SF...along with three division tilts.  5 weather controlled environments and CAR, TB, SF.  Good for passing games.

2) Sanu is coming off a career year.  He's likely though in his last year with the Falcons.  The 3-4 year outlook for this passing attack is centered around Ryan/Julio/Ridley.  That transition starts to take effect in earnest this year.

3) Ryan doesn't get alot of love (#62 on NFL Top 100? - really?) but 2 of the last 3 seasons he's put up 5000/35 numbers.  If you believe this offense is that type of offense, there is a 85/1200/8-9 season out there for Ridley.  Compare that to DJ Moore who has a QB that's only averaging 225 passing yards/game over the last 6 seasons (compared to Ryan 289)?  Just the difference in passing yards alone is a 1000+ yards/season.
thanks for this. #3 is interesting. Ridley was legit in college and last season, I'm not sure why so many people seem so down on him. Ryan is a stud QB the numbers back this up. 5000/35 in two of the past 3 seasons!  get him now for dynasty leagues his value is still low

Thoughts on Calvin's production this week, if Julio sits? Haven't seen any commentary that covers the scenario. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin Ridley caught 8-of-10 targets for 105 yards and a touchdown in Week 2 against the Eagles.

Ridley burned Ronald Darby deep on his 34-yard touchdown. He was the Falcons leading receiver for most of the night before Julio Jones's game-winning 54-yard score. Ridley has lived up to his second-year hype, going over 60 yards with touchdowns in the first two weeks. He gets a matchup with the Colts in Week 3.

Sep 16, 2019, 12:06 AM ET

Apologies if this has been discussed but is Ridley starting opposite Jones? Is Sanu still ahead of him? Does it matter?
Week one 

M Sanu WR 62 84% 6 targets
C Ridley WR 57 77% 6 targets
J Jones WR 50 68% 11 targets
J Hardy WR 21 28% 5 targets
R Gage WR 13 18% 2 targets

Week two

M Sanu WR 55 83% 7 targets
J Jones WR 54 82% 10 targets
C Ridley WR 42 64% 10 targets
J Hardy WR 11 17% 1 target
R Gage WR 9 14% 1 target

Sanu is still playing more than the other WR but no it doesn't matter.

Calvin Ridley said, "It was hard to get open" against the Colts' zone defense last week.

Falcons OC Dirk Koetter said it was his fault for not including Ridley more in Week 3 -- Ridley had just one target -- but Ridley said he wasn't able to get open because he wasn't running routes directly against a defensive back. While it's concerning Ridley wasn't able to beat zone, it's at least good news that Ridley's lack of involvement wasn't by design. Expect Ridley's targets to climb back to the 6-10 range against the Titans at home, assuming his hip checks out.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Sep 25, 2019, 6:31 PM ET

Calvin Ridley caught 4-of-6 targets for 48 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals.

The Falcons' pass-catchers, including Ridley, were wide open for most of the afternoon against the Cardinals' secondary. That led to an easy nine-yard touchdown catch for Ridley early in the game, but he was mostly held in check otherwise. The Falcons desperately need to get back home to figure out what's wrong with their team, but Atlanta's porous defense is leading to positive game script for Ridley and the passing game. He'll be a strong WR3 option at home against the Rams next Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin Ridley caught 4-of-6 targets for 30 yards in the Falcons' Week 7 loss to the Rams.

The Falcons went all the way off the rails against the Rams, so Ridley was lucky to escape with the production he did. More worrisome than Ridley's stat line was Matt Ryan's fourth quarter ankle injury. Limping around afterward, Ryan did not have the looks of someone who would be ready to go in Week 8, especially with the Falcons sitting at 1-6 and heading on bye in Week 9. If Ryan can't go, Ridley would be a bottom-barrel WR3 vs. the Seahawks.

Oct 20, 2019, 6:44 PM ET

Calvin Ridley (concussion) is questionable to return to Week 8 against the Seahawks.

Ridley climbed the ladder to make a fantastic catch, but he was unfortunately hit high by a defender, which then slammed Ridley's head onto the turf. With only a few minutes remaining, it would be a surprise if he returned. Before leaving, Ridley caught 2-of-5 targets for 32 yards. Matt Schaub funneled targets to Julio Jones in this one, but the Falcons should get Matt Ryan back in Week 10 after the bye. Ridley needs Matty Ice to reach a weekly ceiling.

SOURCE: Kelsey Conway on Twitter

Oct 27, 2019, 3:31 PM ET

What do people think here rest of way? Sanu is gone which should mean more targets? But also I’m worried about Ryan not being 100% and perhaps getting shut down. What do people think? Good buy low trade deadline target?

Couple of things...

1) The existing ankle issue Ryan has is not enough at this point to shut him down.  Way to early for that anyway.

2) In the game Ryan missed, Schaub threw for 400+ yards, so even in the event that Ryan misses more games, while he may be Pick 6 prone, he’s a backup that won’t kill his WR’s production.

Now, as a Falcons fan...and hindsight being 20/20, while I thought WR was a dark horse position the Falcons could address in the 2018 draft, with defense in shambles, the selection of Ridley seems dubious.  If you couple that with the fact that 1.5 years into his career and given where he was drafted, he’s yet to establish himself as a legit second option in this offense (I’d say it’s Hooper right now)...that’s a problem (amongst many).  In fact, you could make an argument he was a 4th option before the Sanu trade.

So you’d think the Falcons would be motivated to see, if by providing more available targets with the Sanu trade, that would increase Ridleys production which right now stands as flat YoY.  However, he seems to disappear too easily for my liking.

Ultimately, I think these next 8 games are pretty important for him and there is a great opportunity for him to establish himself further with Ryan.  At the same time, I’ve been a bit disappointed that his chemistry with Ryan is as sketchy still as it is.

What do people think here rest of way? Sanu is gone which should mean more targets? But also I’m worried about Ryan not being 100% and perhaps getting shut down. What do people think? Good buy low trade deadline target?
He would need a julio injury to be a legit option .  Julio is really having an unsung great year, he must be doubled every play and he still creates space and gets fed.  Ridley is a huge let down to me

I signed up to own him for a long time, so I'm duty bound to be optimistic.  If I didn't have him, I'd be sniffing around to see if he could be had at a good price.  I'm a big fan of his talent, and when he's focused and things are clicking he's a really special player.  His numbers have been ok, but nothing special.  He's a maddening player to own, as he's a candidate to explode and win a week for you, but he's just as likely to roll out a 3/31 or 4/40 day while a John Brown type doubles his score on your bench.  

He has definitely NOT taken the step forward I gambled he would this year.  Emmanuel Sanders was supposed to be his floor, not his ceiling.

Couple of things...

1) The existing ankle issue Ryan has is not enough at this point to shut him down.  Way to early for that anyway.

2) In the game Ryan missed, Schaub threw for 400+ yards, so even in the event that Ryan misses more games, while he may be Pick 6 prone, he’s a backup that won’t kill his WR’s production.

Now, as a Falcons fan...and hindsight being 20/20, while I thought WR was a dark horse position the Falcons could address in the 2018 draft, with defense in shambles, the selection of Ridley seems dubious.  If you couple that with the fact that 1.5 years into his career and given where he was drafted, he’s yet to establish himself as a legit second option in this offense (I’d say it’s Hooper right now)...that’s a problem (amongst many).  In fact, you could make an argument he was a 4th option before the Sanu trade.

So you’d think the Falcons would be motivated to see, if by providing more available targets with the Sanu trade, that would increase Ridleys production which right now stands as flat YoY.  However, he seems to disappear too easily for my liking.

Ultimately, I think these next 8 games are pretty important for him and there is a great opportunity for him to establish himself further with Ryan.  At the same time, I’ve been a bit disappointed that his chemistry with Ryan is as sketchy still as it is.
1) Oh I know, I meant it more as the season is a total loss. The entire coaching staff may get wiped out. Is there a chance the GM, owner and Ryan all agree it's not in the longterm best interest of Ryan or the Falcons to have him continue with the season?

2) Sure Schaub threw for 400 yards. Daniel Jones also looked like the 2nd coming of Steve Young in his first start. I don't put much stock into 1 game. 

Ultimately, I see too many red flags to make the move I am being offered even though I am desperate for WR help. 

1) Oh I know, I meant it more as the season is a total loss. The entire coaching staff may get wiped out. Is there a chance the GM, owner and Ryan all agree it's not in the longterm best interest of Ryan or the Falcons to have him continue with the season?

2) Sure Schaub threw for 400 yards. Daniel Jones also looked like the 2nd coming of Steve Young in his first start. I don't put much stock into 1 game. 

Ultimately, I see too many red flags to make the move I am being offered even though I am desperate for WR help. 
So long as Ryan is healthy, he’ll play.  It’d be tough to lead a franchise if every time a lost season occurred, you placed your franchise QB in bubble wrap.  Plus, the GM is as likely to get fired as the HC.

Schaub is an experienced veteran whose been the Falcons back-up for 3-4 years, not a rookie.  Not saying he’ll throw for 400 yards again, but he won’t be Luke Falk.  He can execute the offense.

So long as Ryan is healthy, he’ll play.  It’d be tough to lead a franchise if every time a lost season occurred, you placed your franchise QB in bubble wrap.  Plus, the GM is as likely to get fired as the HC.

Schaub is an experienced veteran whose been the Falcons back-up for 3-4 years, not a rookie.  Not saying he’ll throw for 400 yards again, but he won’t be Luke Falk.  He can execute the offense.
I am sure you are right that Ryan comes back and plays Sunday. What if he aggravates it? I just think the the QB situation is worth factoring into the equation given their struggles. You are right though that it is small. As for Schaub, he's worse than a rookie. He is a vet with years of tape to show he likely can't execute an offense that supports 3 fantasy pass catchers. 

Users who are viewing this thread