What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buffalo at New England (1 Viewer)

That one was not nearly as close at it looked---the angle from the back, where you see the toe drag, looks like a clear catch.  But the issue is he bobbled the ball---on the reverse angle, where you can see ball moving and the feet, it's clear the second foot had finished the drag and was back up and ball was still moving.  No possession.

Don't think this will be controversial once people really see the right replay, it was a close to no-brainer reversal in the end
There's always one, isn't there?

That was horrible.  Whoever is doing replays should be stripped of their job for not understanding what the rules are or what "indisputable" means. 

Sorry Bills fans, hope you overcome it.
They won’t overcome anything.  The league won’t allow it.

Why would anyone who thinks the games are rigged continue to watch or waste any time on the NFL?
I doubt anyone with any sense thinks the game are rigged. However, it's just a bad look when one team repeatedly gets the benefit of close, borderline calls.  I remember back in the day, you could always count on Dallas getting slanted officiating to go their way.  

Also, INB4 a Patriots fan points out some borderline calls that didn't go their way in the last few years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no requirement you watch the replays and know the rules to post here, but some of us try to do both anyway.  Consider trying it.
It's interesting the prior NFL players and professional sportscaster all disagree with you. But I'm sure your in-depth knowledge acquired from your couch makes you way more qualified than any of them.

It's interesting the prior NFL players and professional sportscaster all disagree with you. But I'm sure your in-depth knowledge acquired from your couch makes you way more qualified than any of them.
Romo didn't, and neither did the actual referees.  I'm quite comfortable with my base of knowledge.  There's a lot of folks around here who like narratives more than facts and that's unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was a TD. 

But no way that should have been overturned, not conclusive. 
Knowing the rules well enough to make this argument is respectable!   I think NFL struggles with what is sufficient to overturn. and there's reason to think they have changed the standard this year (Riveron has spoken in terms that suggest this).

I would guess Riveron will say you can see the ball moving after the second foot comes up, and that's conclusive enough.  That is clearly what occurred, but as we saw in the Patriots game last week where people were talking about "Football Move" which hasn't been in rules in years, not everyone is too concerned with the actual rules and plays.

I thought it was pretty clear his left foot was in the air while he bobbled it. 
That is the downfall of "conclusive". 

If the person making the call thinks like you do it is automatically conclusive to them. It doesn't matter if 9 out of 10 people think otherwise. 

I agree that that was probably a first down, but I'm positive that the league just isn't even bothering with "indisputable visual evidence" any more.

Romo didn't, and neither did the actual referees. 
Romo did indeed disagree with you. He unequivically stated that he did not see enough to overturn the call and he disagreed with the ruling. And obviously the officials disagreed since they ruled it a touchdown. So not real sure what you are talking about.

Romo did indeed disagree with you. He unequivically stated that he did not see enough to overturn the call and he disagreed with the ruling. And obviously the officials disagreed since they ruled it a touchdown. So not real sure what you are talking about.
The officials in NY who do the review agreed, and they have both the final word and the best evidence.   You should re-listen to what Romo said---he said there's a question about possession and he wasn't sure. 

It's the reason Tyrod has to go. Taking sacks and losing tons of yards instead of throwing it away kills drives. And of course Tolbert up the middle on 2nd and 25 is why Dennison needs to go as well.

Taylor is frustrating to watch---a lot of good stuff, but so many times he doesn't go through his reads and holds the ball too long.   I am not sure you can really win with him.

The officials in NY who do the review agreed, and they have both the final word and the best evidence.   You should re-listen to what Romo said---he said there's a question about possession and he wasn't sure. 
Read the bolded, then tell me where you see him imply there was indisputable evidence to overturn the call? By your own quite, you just proved you are incorrect in what you said. The point he made, quite clearly and succinctly, was that there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Read the bolded, then tell me where you see him imply there was indisputable evidence to overturn the call? By your own quite, you just proved you are incorrect in what you said. The point he made, quite clearly and succinctly, was that there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.
The comment I responded to was that it was a touchdown---it wasn't, because he didn't get his foot down.  Romo agreed with that (and did so right away, and consistently)

The review standard is a different question, and you can read my thoughts on that in prior posts (my belief, across a bunch of plays this year, is Riveron is applying the review standard more leninently than in the past).   As I have noted, it's a much more credible argument to say that it wasn't a TD but there may not be enough to meet the standard than to ignore that it wasn't a TD.   And I think those who have watched the reverse angle replay will see that there was enough, but that is at least a realistic question to discuss.   

Users who are viewing this thread