What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies and roles that killed a career (1 Viewer)

Hilts

Footballguy
With Star Wars recently hitting the theaters, I was thinking about the previous string from Lucas and wondered what happened to Hayden Christensen. Where'd his career go? He was supposed to be an up and coming actor. He received golden globe and SAG nominations. Lands a monster role that should at the very least set up an actor for a lifetime recognition and a lot of opportunities to work. Instead...the movies were widely panned and his career has mostly vanished. 

What other actors have had their careers killed off from a lousy role?

Always thought Catwoman signaled the downfall of Halle Berry.

Made her name in Bullworth
Swordfish 
X-Men
on top of the world when she wins her Oscar for Monsters Ball
Die another Day and her iconic beach scene!---she can do no wrong
X-Men 2
Gothicka---what the...well OK...can't all be aces
Catwoman---can't be that bad can it...dear lord..it's worse than bad

Now, i'm not sure she would sell out a theater showing a sex taper of her.
OK...not that bad....yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Big one that most don't realize is Michael Beck in Xanadu.  He had just come off The Warriors and Xanadu was supposed to be big. 

Sadly, Morpheus in The Matrix and Gandalf in LOTR killed Sean Connery's career.

He was offered both roles for less than his usual pay, but a percentage of the gross, and turned down each because they seemed like dumb comic book movies. Each time he cost himself hundreds of millions of dollars. 

So he decided to take the next dumb comic book movie that came his way. Which is how he ended up in the stupid League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Which he knew was dumb but figured he'd get the percentage and make bank. 

The movie bombed, he didn't make his money, and he decided to just quit acting and give up. 
I know Sean Connery was always the Tolkein Nerd dreamcasting for Gandalf......but he would have been horrible as him. McKellan nailed it. 

Mike Myers - The Love Guru

Guy was scorching hot after Wayne's World and Austin Powers and that movie absolutely nuked his career. He hasn't had another lead role since that I can recall. 

He was offered both roles for less than his usual pay, but a percentage of the gross, and turned down each because they seemed like dumb comic book movies. Each time he cost himself hundreds of millions of dollars. 

So he decided to take the next dumb comic book movie that came his way. Which is how he ended up in the stupid League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Which he knew was dumb but figured he'd get the percentage and make bank. 

The movie bombed, he didn't make his money, and he decided to just quit acting and give up. 
I like that movie and I think the fact he was like 75 killed his career more than that movie. 

With Star Wars recently hitting the theaters, I was thinking about the previous string from Lucas and wondered what happened to Hayden Christensen. Where'd his career go? He was supposed to be an up and coming actor. He received golden globe and SAG nominations. Lands a monster role that should at the very least set up an actor for a lifetime recognition and a lot of opportunities to work. Instead...the movies were widely panned and his career has mostly vanished. 

What other actors have had their careers killed off from a lousy role?
Hayden Christensen is easy. He's a horrible actor that ruins every movie he's in. 

Pretty sure he was considering retirement at the time no matter what.

LOTR was a minimum 3 film commitment.

The Matrix was not a film he should have been in.

LOEG was bad despite him.

Connery can return to acting any time he likes and be offered tons of roles just because of who he is. The excuse he gave for retiring was just that, an excuse to get people off his back. He doesn’t want to come back.

I didn't see Jim Caviezel much after working with Mel Gibson on Passion of the Christ.  After Count of Monte Cristo and Frequency, I thought he'd be a much bigger name.  Great actor.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see Jim Caviezel much after working with Mel Gibson on Passion of the Christ.  After Count of Monte Cristo and Frequency, I thought he'd be a much bigger name.  Great actor.  
Eh, I never thought he was very good. 

Made a ton of scratch in the TV show Person of Interest.

Users who are viewing this thread