What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official putting together an Audiophile system - electric boogaloo*** (1 Viewer)

interested to hear about this receiver :)
If you like the Denon sound you'll love Marantz, it's the Denon step-up brand. I toyed with going with the Marantz pre/pro when I bought my Denon but couldn't justify double the price even though the Marantz was a screaming deal.

If you like the Denon sound you'll love Marantz, it's the Denon step-up brand. I toyed with going with the Marantz pre/pro when I bought my Denon but couldn't justify double the price even though the Marantz was a screaming deal.
Cool - Yeah my Denon was 400-500 at the time I think. Got on sale for 350ish during the holidays.

Not sure I'm ready to plunk down 1k though :)

Cool - Yeah my Denon was 400-500 at the time I think. Got on sale for 350ish during the holidays.

Not sure I'm ready to plunk down 1k though :)
Yeah I got mine for around 800 I think? And the Marantz was 1500 which was a crazy deal since list was 2200. Looking at that Accessories 4 less site I can get a Marantz for 1200 now.....tempting. Wife may kill me but it's very tempting.

Yea, the pre and amp are 70's era pieces that I had restored (that amp is about 45 lbs!)  I think the pre (3800) was US made (but could be wrong), but that amp model was definitely Japan. The big Denon TT was a model that (I think) was originally only sold in Japan in the 80's - not too many of that one (59L) on this side. The little one on the right is a recent/cheap Denon.

Will today be the day I finally get the sack to attach the old school NAD amp I mentioned to my setup.  Why am I so nervous about this?  I never set up an amp before is probably why.

Will today be the day I finally get the sack to attach the old school NAD amp I mentioned to my setup.  Why am I so nervous about this?  I never set up an amp before is probably why.
Why would you be nervous? What's your equipment list again?

Why would you be nervous? What's your equipment list again?
I have a basic setup.  Yamaha RX-V675 and an old Bose Acoustmass surround system for speakers.  I also have a new 2016 Polk sub.  I have a bunch of extra crap in my basement I don't use anymore.  I have a big Boston Acoustics bookshelfish center speaker that I was thinking of adding on along with the NAD amp.  

I have a basic setup.  Yamaha RX-V675 and an old Bose Acoustmass surround system for speakers.  I also have a new 2016 Polk sub.  I have a bunch of extra crap in my basement I don't use anymore.  I have a big Boston Acoustics bookshelfish center speaker that I was thinking of adding on along with the NAD amp.  
Well after reading your Nav thread I understand your trepidation now! j/k

So after looking at that receiver it doesn't have pre-outs for anything other than a sub so you'd not be able to use the NAD. Not sure how you were planning on hooking it up?

Well after reading your Nav thread I understand your trepidation now! j/k

So after looking at that receiver it doesn't have pre-outs for anything other than a sub so you'd not be able to use the NAD. Not sure how you were planning on hooking it up?
I didn't really think it through.  I four other older recievers in my basement.  Maybe one of those will.  I have a Denon, Harmon, and another Yamaha.  I bought the current one mostly for all the HDMI outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to check.  It's been a while since I have thought about this stuff.
TBH if you are happy with how things sound I'd probably not go through the trouble of trying to figure out how to use old stuff, especially old receivers.

TBH if you are happy with how things sound I'd probably not go through the trouble of trying to figure out how to use old stuff, especially old receivers.
The one thing I want is a little more power.  I want to be able to make my house shake but not lose sound quality.  I'm not really sure if that is possible at this point.  The good news is my setup SOUNDS really good as is.  

hey all you sickchachos when we did not elect roy moore in alabama i sort of thought everyone got the idea that audiophiles are not welcome around here so maybe just delete this thread and keep your sick fantasies to your selfs signed the rest of us take that to the bank bromigos 

The one thing I want is a little more power.  I want to be able to make my house shake but not lose sound quality.  I'm not really sure if that is possible at this point.  The good news is my setup SOUNDS really good as is.  
New speakers would be the best option to accomplish that. More power doesn't always equal more boom.

Is this Acoustmass setup complete trash compared to new stuff available?
Personally, I prefer full size speakers and a good sub..   find speakers that have a sensitivity of 89db or more, and your reciever should probably be able to drive them (especially if you have a sub to help out with the lowest frequencies)...

Personally, I prefer full size speakers and a good sub..   find speakers that have a sensitivity of 89db or more, and your reciever should probably be able to drive them (especially if you have a sub to help out with the lowest frequencies)...
I have full size speakers in the garage unplugged unfortunately.  I got sick of hearing the wife complain about the space they take up so I went with cubes.  Luckily, I was able to hide the sub behind a chair.

I have full size speakers in the garage unplugged unfortunately.  I got sick of hearing the wife complain about the space they take up so I went with cubes.  Luckily, I was able to hide the sub behind a chair.
even decent bookshelf speakers on stands would be a big improvement IMO

PIK95 said:
Yea, that's the thing - your speaker size is going to matter when you want that level. Technology has done wonders with making little speakers sound bigger, but in the end, they are still little speakers. With the right speakers, you can rock your house with a 35w amp. 

Yes. Bose is generally thought of as all marketing no performance, especially at the price point. There are some nice satellite sub combos out there that are really good and look good as well, Anthony Gallo is one of them.
Heh, they were a client of mine - I have the nucleus 5.1 system I got on trade for some work (I don't use it much, as my vintage stuff is superior for 2-channel, which is 99% of my listening these days). But for 5.1, they are fantastic. Anthony knows speakers, too. 

My dad had one of these, not working, in his garage https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.iWftx5RR0oVxyUZOoA4kegHaFj&w=166&h=124&c=7&o=5&dpr=4&pid=1.7

About twenty years ago. I took it, paid a hifi shop $200 to clean it up and fix it and then hooked it up. If I recall it was 80w power, but it just thumped raw power through speakers. 

I could see how you'd blow speakers in the old days before digital signal processing. Without limiters on highs and lows you're really putting speakers through the test.

Let my brother borrow it and never saw it again. Think he traded it for a bag of weed

My dad had one of these, not working, in his garage https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.iWftx5RR0oVxyUZOoA4kegHaFj&w=166&h=124&c=7&o=5&dpr=4&pid=1.7

About twenty years ago. I took it, paid a hifi shop $200 to clean it up and fix it and then hooked it up. If I recall it was 80w power, but it just thumped raw power through speakers. 

I could see how you'd blow speakers in the old days before digital signal processing. Without limiters on highs and lows you're really putting speakers through the test.

Let my brother borrow it and never saw it again. Think he traded it for a bag of weed
And 80 watts was 80 watts, now there is no regulation per se and there are all sorts of insane claims. It's also possible it was 80 watts @4 Ohms instead of 8.

Those old Marantz receivers - especially that 22xx series - are really nice (that one you posted was 75 watts @ 8ohms - that's the 75 after the 22 for that series). I got into audio awhile back, and vintage (70's / 80's) stuff a few years ago, and that silver Marantz  solid state gear was always my favorite. It took me awhile to get the two pieces I have now. That 70's Marantz sound is really sweet for music. 

Those old Marantz receivers - especially that 22xx series - are really nice (that one you posted was 75 watts @ 8ohms - that's the 75 after the 22 for that series). I got into audio awhile back, and vintage (70's / 80's) stuff a few years ago, and that silver Marantz  solid state gear was always my favorite. It took me awhile to get the two pieces I have now. That 70's Marantz sound is really sweet for music. 
He had them hooked up to 1973 Bose 901's. I still have those. You can't over power them, but they aren't much for low end. They're great if you want to make your back yard sounds like a live concert though.

I'm going to finally send them back to Bose and for about $600 they will exchange for brand new 901's. 

So the Denons now have a $20 app to cehck Audyssey settings?

Is that mandatory?  Can I not check them in the menu anymore? 

Anyone know?

Anyone know?
I used the receiver and its microphone.  The app is probably a convenience thing.  An app would be easier for them to keep updated vs. firmware updates for avr's.

Anyone know?
So looking at Denon's site it appears to be mixed.

Through these technologies, and with the supplied microphone, it exactly analyzes each speaker's output to optimize the overall listening experience. With the additional Audyssey MultEQ Editor App (available for purchase), very advanced users can even go further "under the hood" if desired.

So you can do the basics but more advanced settings require the app. I would be interested to see what you can change in the menu vs the app.

there's 3 different montior out connections (line out) http://hometheatergears.com/wp-content/uploads/denon-avr2312ci-back.jpg

if those aren't valid, what should i be looking for in terms of "pre-out"   i though you just need a line out connection
Monitor out is usually just single mono channel or it can be stereo. If you're doing pre-out for surround there should be a pre-out for each channel. Look at this pic of the 3400, it has pre-outs for all channels. That's what you need for surround use.

So looking at Denon's site it appears to be mixed.
Yeah - iread that and it wasnt clear.  For example it said in the ampp you can see the speaker distances etc.  I was like I do that in the menus now :unsure:

ETA: I only ask because i'm looking at the 1400 or 2400 receiver

Yeah - iread that and it wasnt clear.  For example it said in the ampp you can see the speaker distances etc.  I was like I do that in the menus now :unsure:

ETA: I only ask because i'm looking at the 1400 or 2400 receiver
Not sure what your budget is or where you're looking but accessories 4 less has the 3300 and 3400 for pretty crazy prices.

Monitor out is usually just single mono channel or it can be stereo. If you're doing pre-out for surround there should be a pre-out for each channel. Look at this pic of the 3400, it has pre-outs for all channels. That's what you need for surround use.
thanks.  looks like i need to upgrade, any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread