What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official putting together an Audiophile system - electric boogaloo*** (1 Viewer)

It will better than my 1050 or whatever
Yes, with one caveat - which is very specific.  I have a Sony 1050 myself and will keep it for quite a while as it has 3 separate HDMI outputs (two for zone 1, and another for zone 2).  With my basement setup, I use all 3 (zone one has an outdoor projector as well as a small monitor in the audio video closet so I can see what I'm doing - zone 2 is TV on the wall). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, with one caveat - which is very specific.  I have a Sony 1050 myself and will keep it for quite a while as it has 3 separate HDMI outputs (two for zone 1, and another for zone 2).  With my basement setup, I use all 3 (zone one has an outdoor projector as well as a small monitor in the audio video closet so I can see what I'm doing - zone 2 is TV on the wall). 
I have a Denon 1611 currently....It only has 1hdmi out... 

If the sound is exactly the same I'd want it for 2 hdmi outs to make tv and gaming simultaneously on my projector even more awesomer :)

eta: I see I had 1050

And boom wife ordered for Christmas :happydance:

I really have a hard time getting to wife on board for something more expensive than that....

Now need to hold out for a 4k projector soon

hmm - i dont think I can do what I thought I can do with 2 outs simultaneously - no biggie - if so

Well started setting this up last night i think i need to rerun Audyssey.   Settings got reset after i ran it before.  And some things just changed a little bit compared to my old one i'm not 100% sure what some of its supposed to do :)

Overall - it seems better than my old one.  Just weird i have to turn it up louder than the old one for the same volume.  I'm sure something is set differently

I did have a weird occurence. The Audyssey said I have 2 speakers with the polarity errors.   I triple checked the wiring (pretty easy since I have banana plugs and just plug into the back again

I'm sure I can ignore it but I was not hit with those messages before

Well started setting this up last night i think i need to rerun Audyssey.   Settings got reset after i ran it before.  And some things just changed a little bit compared to my old one i'm not 100% sure what its supposed to do :)

Overall - it seems better than my old one.  Just weird i have to turn it up louder than the old one for the same volume.  I'm sure something is set differently

I did have a weird occurence. The Audyssey said I have 2 speakers with the polarity errors.   I triple checked the wiring (pretty easy since I have banana plugs and just plug into the back again

I occasionally get the same. I ignore it.

Well started setting this up last night i think i need to rerun Audyssey.   Settings got reset after i ran it before.  And some things just changed a little bit compared to my old one i'm not 100% sure what some of its supposed to do :)

I had the same errors on my old Denon. I don't see it with the new Marantz but I also have to turn it up more for the same volume ie 55-60 is what 45-50 used to be.

You guys use dynamic volume? I used to sometimes, I feel like my center is too low without it. Maybe I'll bump up the center a db

You guys use dynamic volume? I used to sometimes, I feel like my center is too low without it. Maybe I'll bump up the center a db
I don't, but you can certainly bump up the center a few db. I thought mine used to have a dialog enhancer as well but can't recall. And if it sounds better to you with it on then leave it on, that's all that matters really. What sounds good to you.

I don't, but you can certainly bump up the center a few db. I thought mine used to have a dialog enhancer as well but can't recall. And if it sounds better to you with it on then leave it on, that's all that matters really. What sounds good to you.
I'm now bouncing between dynamic eq on/off :)

A Question for Vinyl Enthusiasts about Buying a new Turntable...

So I've got my eye on a Project Debut Carbon DC TT and am wondering if it will be compatible with my Denon DRA-550 receiver from the Mid 80's. According to this review I'll need a phono preamp. I'm pretty sure the Denon has one built in, but I'm not 100 percent certain.

It got great reviews and am ready to get back into vinyl.

Anyone have any experience with Project TT's?

TIA

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pro-ject-debut-carbon

So I've got my eye on a Project Debut Carbon DC TT and am wondering if it will be compatible with my Denon DRA-550 receiver from the Mid 80's. According to this review I'll need a phono preamp. I'm pretty sure the Denon has one built in, but I'm not 100 percent certain.

TIA

I have one of these...you’ll probably want to go with a separate phono preamp rather than a built in if indeed your received has one, but it’s from the 80’s so probably does. I went with a Project tube box S2 preamp, it can handle any cartridge upgrade you may go to. Speaking of cartridge upgrade, the ortofon red is decent, you can upgrade to a blue by just switching out the stylus. I swapped the red for a bronze and am pleased with the sound i get 

TIA

Nice little turntable there.

The receiver you mention seems to have both MM and MC phono stages. As long as the receiver is working / sounding good, there's no reason it won't work. Much of that old stuff is quite good. I use a 70's era Marantz preamp / amp setup for my turntable - sounds great.  

I have one of these...you’ll probably want to go with a separate phono preamp rather than a built in if indeed your received has one, but it’s from the 80’s so probably does. I went with a Project tube box S2 preamp, it can handle any cartridge upgrade you may go to. Speaking of cartridge upgrade, the ortofon red is decent, you can upgrade to a blue by just switching out the stylus. I swapped the red for a bronze and am pleased with the sound i get 
Hey, I bought the TT!

Is the bronze a better upgrade than the blue stylus?

I may want to upgrade.

TIA

Nice little turntable there.

The receiver you mention seems to have both MM and MC phono stages. As long as the receiver is working / sounding good, there's no reason it won't work. Much of that old stuff is quite good. I use a 70's era Marantz preamp / amp setup for my turntable - sounds great.  
:thumbup:

Hey, 

I finally got back into vinyl and did purchase a ProJect Debut Carbon DC.  After purchasing I realized that there's a another Proj-ect, a  Debut Carbon Esprit SB, and am wondering if I should return the Carbon DC and buy  the Espirit.

Anyone know if the Espirit is a major upgrade?  Or is the Carbon DC upgradeable making it equal or better than the Espirit?

I know the Carbon DC can be upgraded with a new blue Cartridge and a Platter.  

I need to send the TT back within the next few days so I'd appreciate some feedback asap.

TIA

And boom wife ordered for Christmas :happydance:

I really have a hard time getting to wife on board for something more expensive than that....

Now need to hold out for a 4k projector soon
Ftr.. loving it. Thx again everyone

Hey, 

I finally got back into vinyl and did purchase a ProJect Debut Carbon DC.  After purchasing I realized that there's a another Proj-ect, a  Debut Carbon Esprit SB, and am wondering if I should return the Carbon DC and buy  the Espirit.

Anyone know if the Espirit is a major upgrade?  Or is the Carbon DC upgradeable making it equal or better than the Espirit?

I know the Carbon DC can be upgraded with a new blue Cartridge and a Platter.  

I need to send the TT back within the next few days so I'd appreciate some feedback asap.

TIA
It looks like the biggest differences are:

1) Acrylic platter 

2) 33/45 switch (instead of having to move the belt).

If you are never going to play 45's, I would just upgrade the platter of the DC at some point. The acrylic is nice (and nice looking too). 

did you get the red or blue cartridge? 

It looks like the biggest differences are:

1) Acrylic platter 

2) 33/45 switch (instead of having to move the belt).

If you are never going to play 45's, I would just upgrade the platter of the DC at some point. The acrylic is nice (and nice looking too). 

did you get the red or blue cartridge? 
Hey jwb!

Thanks for the input! I got the red, but want to upgrade at some point.  Are there any other good or better cartridges that I should consider? (other than the blue?)

TIA

I also found this 'upgrade'.  Anyone think it's worth it?

https://www.audioadvice.com/pro-ject-ground-it-e-turntable-base.html
nah, I wouldn't spend that on it.

Cartridges... I'd stick w/ the red for now. See how it sounds / how you like it. Much like whiskey, there's a point of diminishing returns as you go up the price ladder in audio gear. You can really go nuts with anti vibration stuff, better cables, etc. Does it all sound better? Probably. How much better is debatable.

What speakers do you have? I have found those make the biggest difference in sound. 

Cartridges... I'd stick w/ the red for now. See how it sounds / how you like it. Much like whiskey, there's a point of diminishing returns as you go up the price ladder in audio gear. You can really go nuts with anti vibration stuff, better cables, etc. Does it all sound better? Probably. How much better is debatable.

What speakers do you have? I have found those make the biggest difference in sound. 
Hey jwb!

My system consists of a pair of B&W 630's, an old Denon 50 watt reciever (DRA-550) from the mid 80's, a Marantz CD5004  cd player, and now a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable.

Also I'm probably going to be in the market for a new preamp/amp with a built in DAC soon.  No idea of which direction though.

Thanks for your help!

Hey jwb!

My system consists of a pair of B&W 630's, an old Denon 50 watt reciever (DRA-550) from the mid 80's, a Marantz CD5004  cd player, and now a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable.

Also I'm probably going to be in the market for a new preamp/amp with a built in DAC soon.  No idea of which direction though.

Thanks for your help!
Those are some decent older B&W's. I have a pair of larger B&W bookshelves (602's) - they were my first decent pair of speakers. I still use them for the garage system.

good forums for audio is audiokarma.org - they lean slightly vintage there, so there's plenty of people with good info.

Those are some decent older B&W's. I have a pair of larger B&W bookshelves (602's) - they were my first decent pair of speakers. I still use them for the garage system.

good forums for audio is audiokarma.org - they lean slightly vintage there, so there's plenty of people with good info.
Thanks jwb!

I get notifications from several audio/audiophile sites. Nerd reading. That space has blown up the last couple days for Emotiva's Airmotiv B1+ speakers. I have airmotiv 3" bluetooth speakers that as far as I know outperform almost anything under $150. They just need to be plugged in so not so portable. Anyway, the raving reviews are all centered price comparisons with some pretty nerdy sound charts to back up the opinions. Close to $800 Kefs, and much bigger $600 Klipsch. I don't need them, but anyone looking for hi-fi speakers apparently can't go wrong for the price. Also, technology is making big dollar hi-fi foolish.

To be honest I'm not thrilled with the sound quality.  The BASS is muddy on most recordings and not tight.  I want to upgrade the stylus and cartridge (What's the difference?) and my budget is $500.

TIA

I get notifications from several audio/audiophile sites. Nerd reading. That space has blown up the last couple days for Emotiva's Airmotiv B1+ speakers. I have airmotiv 3" bluetooth speakers that as far as I know outperform almost anything under $150. They just need to be plugged in so not so portable. Anyway, the raving reviews are all centered price comparisons with some pretty nerdy sound charts to back up the opinions. Close to $800 Kefs, and much bigger $600 Klipsch. I don't need them, but anyone looking for hi-fi speakers apparently can't go wrong for the price. Also, technology is making big dollar hi-fi foolish.
I hope they changed but that company is/was garbage. I was going to get the original pre-amp they were developing and they lied about delays, mfg methods and then deleted forum messages where anyone was critical of them or this pre-amp. After that I've not looked at their stuff since that debacle.

ETA These remind me of the Monoprice speakers with the folded ribbon tweeter.

To be honest I'm not thrilled with the sound quality.  The BASS is muddy on most recordings and not tight.  I want to upgrade the stylus and cartridge (What's the difference?) and my budget is $500.

TIA
The stylus is the actual "needle". The cartridge is the entire square thingee. I never replace the stylus, just the cartridge after 1,000 hours or so. 

Before you spend anything, of course make sure that any other source (CD, digital) doesn't have that same muddy bass. Also, make sure it's not the album - for example, side 4 of the "blue" beatles greatest hits is very bass heavy for some reason. At least on my system. But it's somewhat isolated to that. 

Lastly, make sure the cartridge is aligned properly. I'm horrible at this, and hate doing it. 

I use this cartridge.

The stylus is the actual "needle". The cartridge is the entire square thingee. I never replace the stylus, just the cartridge after 1,000 hours or so. 

Before you spend anything, of course make sure that any other source (CD, digital) doesn't have that same muddy bass. Also, make sure it's not the album - for example, side 4 of the "blue" beatles greatest hits is very bass heavy for some reason. At least on my system. But it's somewhat isolated to that. 

Lastly, make sure the cartridge is aligned properly. I'm horrible at this, and hate doing it. 

I use this cartridge.
My cd player does not have a 'muddy bass'.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to return this thing.  Any suggestions for a slightly higher end turntable?

TIA

I hope they changed but that company is/was garbage. I was going to get the original pre-amp they were developing and they lied about delays, mfg methods and then deleted forum messages where anyone was critical of them or this pre-amp. After that I've not looked at their stuff since that debacle.

ETA These remind me of the Monoprice speakers with the folded ribbon tweeter.
They changed. Almost went under but found investors. Their high end amps are highly regarded. I haven't heard the B1+ but the reviews are from serious audiophile sites. For 229 they seem like a fantastic option. Ribbon tweeters sound fantastic. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/ex8uyj/the_audiophiliac_reviews_229pair_emotiva_b1/

I'm willing to spend upwards of $1500 - if that helps
I honestly don't know then - you have lots of options then. You'd get better advice on an audio forum. I would make an account at audiokarma.org and ask there. You'll get all kinds of good advice about your entire system. 

I honestly don't know then - you have lots of options then. You'd get better advice on an audio forum. I would make an account at audiokarma.org and ask there. You'll get all kinds of good advice about your entire system. 

Thanks for your help jwb!

So @Andy Dufresne @Hawks64  and anyone else i have a couple, probably dumb, questions.

Now that I have the X2500 set up here is my question for you.

I have a relatively "small room"  The way I'm setup now the viewing area is 15ft x 24ft, However the viewing portion is along the 15ft portion with the couch on one wall, my projector screen hanging on the other wall.  So 4 speaker surround is out.  What I decided to do last year was do front High.

This just gives you and idea - my sub, right, right high

https://imgur.com/Zd8nbUK

Here are my questions.

The X2500H is 7 channels.   

1) So I'm still limited to my 7 speakers ?  

2) Should I replace the front highs with atmos capable speakers?

3) If I do replace them - should I get speakers that sit on my fronts or hang in the same spot?

I spent so mu time running the wire to the highs last year I'd hate to have to redo all lol

TIA

Putting Atmos speakers where you currently have the highs would be pointless.

The reason that front highs exist at all is to "cheat" the height effect when you don't have up-firing/speaker top Atmos speakers or the preferred mid-room ceiling mounted speakers.

The up-firing speakers are also a cheat of sorts compared to ceiling mounted.

Isn't that a drop down ceiling? Would it be difficult to install ceiling mounted speakers?

Putting Atmos speakers where you currently have the highs would be pointless.

The reason that front highs exist at all is to "cheat" the height effect when you don't have up-firing/speaker top Atmos speakers or the preferred mid-room ceiling mounted speakers.

The up-firing speakers are also a cheat of sorts compared to ceiling mounted.

Isn't that a drop down ceiling? Would it be difficult to install ceiling mounted speakers?
Drop ceiling - yes putting the speakers in ceiling would be a pain in the ###.

However - you say if I move the atmos to side high would be preferred.

I can definitely mount one to the side midway to the right - the left might take some creativity.

Thanks

What I was thinking was that AFAIK the "ideal" 5.1.2 Atmos setup looks like this

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

If you don't think your current setup with front highs is good enough AND you don't want to mess with ceiling mounted instead, THEN your best option is probably the front speaker-top upward firing Atmos speakers like this

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-setup-guide.html

FWIW - I have the front high setup like you do. My ceiling is drywall so I'm not messing with ceiling mounting either.

What I was thinking was that AFAIK the "ideal" 5.1.2 Atmos setup looks like this

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

If you don't think your current setup with front highs is good enough AND you don't want to mess with ceiling mounted instead, THEN your best option is probably the front speaker-top upward firing Atmos speakers like this

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-setup-guide.html

FWIW - I have the front high setup like you do. My ceiling is drywall so I'm not messing with ceiling mounting either.
Yup - been reading all that thanks!#!@   Wish I bought a 9 channel receiver now!!!

I'm happy - I won a little money on the Super Bowl so I was going to upgrade my front height speakers and ended up down a rabbit hole :)

I think I'm still going to replace them with these https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation  to match the rest of my system.  I have all 5.1 primes now.

I might not notice a difference - I might - who knows.   But for now I'll probably mount them in the same place or just put them on top of my current.

Thanks2@#

Users who are viewing this thread