What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official putting together an Audiophile system - electric boogaloo*** (1 Viewer)

They changed. Almost went under but found investors. Their high end amps are highly regarded. I haven't heard the B1+ but the reviews are from serious audiophile sites. For 229 they seem like a fantastic option. Ribbon tweeters sound fantastic. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/ex8uyj/the_audiophiliac_reviews_229pair_emotiva_b1/
Good, glad to hear that. Hope the guy running the show isn't the same. Regardless I agree wholeheartedly on HVFR tweeters, my Goldenears are unbelievable. Love the non harsh highs at high volume.

So @Andy Dufresne @Hawks64  and anyone else i have a couple, probably dumb, questions.

Now that I have the X2500 set up here is my question for you.

I have a relatively "small room"  The way I'm setup now the viewing area is 15ft x 24ft, However the viewing portion is along the 15ft portion with the couch on one wall, my projector screen hanging on the other wall.  So 4 speaker surround is out.  What I decided to do last year was do front High.

This just gives you and idea - my sub, right, right high

https://imgur.com/Zd8nbUK

Here are my questions.

The X2500H is 7 channels.   

1) So I'm still limited to my 7 speakers ?  

2) Should I replace the front highs with atmos capable speakers?

3) If I do replace them - should I get speakers that sit on my fronts or hang in the same spot?

I spent so mu time running the wire to the highs last year I'd hate to have to redo all lol

TIA
1. Yes the Denon only is a 7.2 receiver so 7 speakers.

2. Atmos speakers aren't a thing per se, it's a placement thing. They are typically down firing from the ceiling or up firing at the ceiling on an angle.

I think you should be ok just leaving them as highs. I don't have either but it seems that a lot of folks prefer high to atmos.

Good, glad to hear that. Hope the guy running the show isn't the same. Regardless I agree wholeheartedly on HVFR tweeters, my Goldenears are unbelievable. Love the non harsh highs at high volume.
I have a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40's with a ribbon tweeter. Yea, they're good. 

Speakers are delivered and ready for install@$@#@   I'm sure it will sound exactly the same :lol:

I was rereading through the thread - cant believe its been that long since I got my original speakers, but it was funny reading and then understanding some of the settings Hawk was talking about. 

My old receiver didn't have some of what he was referring too and my new one does and I was all :bag:

Update:  Speakers mounted. Reran Audyssey.   None of my settings match from before :lol:

These things are way better than what I had.  Very happy with them, I can definitely tell a difference.  (of course I'm gonna say that - they are new :P  ).

I moved them in a little compare to my old ones.  I moved my screen before so I need to spend time re aligning my speakers to be equal distance (thats my OCD with this)

I'll need to tweak some - i literally installed ran audyssey and put on my test movie went to bed.

eventually i'll get a 4K projector and bigger screen.  But I'm "done for a while".   If I had bigger space I'd do it up more but for my home basement ITS AWESOME@#$

Thanks all.   Very happy with the purchase, I'll post an updated pic later tonight if I remember.  I'd like to go full atmos but I'm loo lazy to try to fasten some drop ceiling concoction etc etc.

The brackets are great - my only negative is the wall anchors the give you are crap.....   All the hardware is fantastic 

👍

https://imgur.com/a/kJ8lUpd

Need to readjust my speakers a little. Not sure why the pic is amgled

Last edited by a moderator:
  I'm finishing my basement and will be trying to do a fun setup very soon.  I just put in a ton of soundproofing insulation in myself.  I have to figure out the best floor situation in regards to sound still.  I am also curious about those mat things people put on the walls to steer the sound or whatever.  

I have a bunch of older equipment that I will try to integrate with one of my newer receivers. HDMI's are key obviously. Ill probably use my Yamaha RX-V675.  I'll build that around a pair of Theil cs2.3 speakers that are mint, and we can decide between a couple of different size Subs.  The two I have are a big Polk psw10 that I bought last year and a Bob Carver Sunfire junior. 

For Power the two amps we can choose from are a BK ST2140 and I also have an old NAD 2200. Do I need to get them tested or something?  Where? 

I picked up a Nakamichi CA5 Control amplifier but I have no turntable yet.  I have a Nakamichi st7 tuner that I probably won't use (My 7.1 Yamaha has hella lotta HDMI's).  I also have a Nakamichi cr4a tape deck that's cool.  I gotta find my old tapes.  I have a nice vintage second tape deck in my garage but I forget what it is.

One of the cooler LOOKING things I have available is a California Audio Labs HDCD CL-15.  Apparently it was like $1500 new.  I'm not exactly sure what it does besides cd's, but I would love to figure that out.

I am not sure if I will even use one in this system setup, but I have like five or six DVD players to choose from.  I have a couple of Oppo DV970HD players.  They are cool because they can play burned stuff apparently.  I never tried.  I may just sell one or both for more turntable money available.

I am planning on having my N64, PS2, Xbox 360, XOne, and PS4 all hooked up here.  I may also grab a 2600 at some point as I have about 59 games for it still.  Maybe a Coleco or Dreamcast.  I don't know.

So in closing, once the basement is done I have work to do.  As much as I love good sound, the knowledge of the specific equipment I have eludes me. I could use some advice on what to use and what else to buy.  Wires?  Turntable?  Cool lights? I'll add a big TV for sure. Should I pick up some surround speakers? I also want to hardwire a disco ball.  I will have a yoga pants poster hanging in the room.  All advice, opinions, and shtick is welcome.  Tia.

Basement is already sheet rocked!  Painting this weekend.  Should be getting my setup started in a week or two. 

Getting some noise coming up through the vents.  My subs are gonna be a problem if I don't figure out a way to damper the vents.  Anyone have a hack for that?  Tia.

Basement is already sheet rocked!  Painting this weekend.  Should be getting my setup started in a week or two. 

Getting some noise coming up through the vents.  My subs are gonna be a problem if I don't figure out a way to damper the vents.  Anyone have a hack for that?  Tia.
Acoustic foam is a popular diy. The pro move is to make four directional blocks inside the vent. Half height/width sections of the foam. One top down (leaving half the space for airflow). Next bottom up, then left to right and right to left. Air will flow, sound will not. Two or three works too.

Acoustic foam is a popular diy. The pro move is to make a four directional blocks inside the vent. Half height/width sections of the foam. One top down (leaving half the space for airflow). Next bottom up, then left to right and right to left. Air will flow, sound will not.
Whoa.  Now that's what I'm talking about.  Thanks

What are those black wall panels made of? I see Auds put them on the walls. Across from speakers sometimes.
acoustic foam

better than the foam board, and just couple blocking 2/3rds of the vents will usually quiet upstairs voices, etc.

and if you buy a pack like in the link, you can have fun making the room look cool and hopefully absorb unwanted reflections.

I bought one of these in awful condition for $50 from Goodwill. It has a coveted  el84 tube amp in it that works (worth a few hundred on ebay), but something else is wrong (guessing power supply or preamp). I don't know what I want to do with it. It could harbor a couple down firing subs with a big tv on top. I'm not good enough to restore it to original, but I could update it with a turntable and modern electronics pretty easily and join you vinylguys, just not sure I want that.

I snipped the speaker wires from the amp, hooked them up to a cheap Chinese amp with bluetooth and the old drivers (4 way with 12" woofers) sounded really warm and really nice. I have a ton of ideas/options, but haven't come close to a decision. I might post before and afters of the whatever I decide to do with. 

I love diy audio projects and spent more time in those forums than here over the past couple years. I am also building a diy surround speaker system for my office/media room which had a cheap yamaha surround in a box running off the A source and some higher end bookshelf speakers on the B, powered by the dead Onkyo. With NBA down sans all-star stuff, I will probably make tons of headway on both this week.

I bought one of these in awful condition for $50 from Goodwill. It has a coveted  el84 tube amp in it that works (worth a few hundred on ebay), but something else is wrong (guessing power supply or preamp). I don't know what I want to do with it. It could harbor a couple down firing subs with a big tv on top. I'm not good enough to restore it to original, but I could update it with a turntable and modern electronics pretty easily and join you vinylguys, just not sure I want that.

I snipped the speaker wires from the amp, hooked them up to a cheap Chinese amp with bluetooth and the old drivers (4 way with 12" woofers) sounded really warm and really nice. I have a ton of ideas/options, but haven't come close to a decision. I might post before and afters of the whatever I decide to do with. 

I love diy audio projects and spent more time in those forums than here over the past couple years. I am also building a diy surround speaker system for my office/media room which had a cheap yamaha surround in a box running off the A source and some higher end bookshelf speakers on the B, powered by the dead Onkyo. With NBA down sans all-star stuff, I will probably make tons of headway on both this week.
I think I have a inexpensive sony reciever in my garage.  It's probably like twenty years old.  I could mail it to you if you want something to hold you over.  I may just donate it at some point myself. It only sells for like $50 online last I looked.

I think I have a inexpensive sony reciever in my garage.  It's probably like twenty years old.  I could mail it to you if you want something to hold you over.  I may just donate it at some point myself. It only sells for like $50 online last I looked.
Sincerely appreciate the offer, thanks, but I want lots of hdmi slots, current tech, bla bla bla. Hopefully the Onkyo has an easy fix. It made beautiful noise with the nicer bookshelf speakers. 

im still lost lol   - you have 5 pieces in the duct work?
depending on how noisy the vent is, you can get away way with 2-5 pieces. also depending on how much space you have to work with. you run a bead of construction adhesive (liquid nails or such) for the three sides of the piece you want to install. cut the piece to fit perfectly (can be done with a bread knife). slide it onto the bead of adhesive and back about an inch to smear the adhesive for a tight bond. and so on.

Sincerely appreciate the offer, thanks, but I want lots of hdmi slots, current tech, bla bla bla. Hopefully the Onkyo has an easy fix. It made beautiful noise with the nicer bookshelf speakers. 
I may have something better actually.  How many HDMI do you need minimum?

yes

the wood is needed for the more expensive acoustic foam, not for the hard foam.
I would guess you would prefer the foam barriers at the end run of the vent, just before the air exits.  Then the furnace won't work as hard.

I would guess you would prefer the foam barriers at the end run of the vent, just before the air exits.  Then the furnace won't work as hard.
yes. easier to install in most situations too. you will slow air flow a little. I know people who have walled off vents with drywall and used a space heater. just sayin'

I may have something better actually.  How many HDMI do you need minimum?
I would like ARC, firestick, android tv box, and chromecast on it. So arc + 3 hdmi and also bluetooth. I can do this at accessories for less, for $270 on a current 7.2 Denon with atmos ++++. I think that is the right route. Seriously, it is a kind offer and I appreciate it. But if you sent me something that works for all that for free, well, there is probably a better use for it. I expect to get the Onkyo working or buy better.

I would like ARC, firestick, android tv box, and chromecast on it. So arc + 3 hdmi and also bluetooth. I can do this at accessories for less, for $270 on a current 7.2 Denon with atmos ++++. I think that is the right route. Seriously, it is a kind offer and I appreciate it. But if you sent me something that works for all that for free, well, there is probably a better use for it. I expect to get the Onkyo working or buy better.
ARC is f'ing terrible, especially if you use any type of universal remote. Power commands don't work right nor does input switching. I had to turn all of it off for power on and off sequences to work correctly.

ARC is f'ing terrible, especially if you use any type of universal remote. Power commands don't work right nor does input switching. I had to turn all of it off for power on and off sequences to work correctly.
Worked seemlessly on the dead Onkyo. Except for powering on the tvs, I control everything from pc. No uni-remote. I ran hdmi from pc and one tv into a switch. The other tv is on it's own with just Chromecast and some homemade speakers. Plugged the switch into ARC. The streaming devices plugged into Onkyo slots. I had beautiful sound from pc or tv and for a and b speaker sources. This is not my home theater setup. Just an office/media room where I spend most of my time. Two monitors, two tvs, not unusual to have three NBA games on at the same time with a monitor available for surfing. At one point, my favorite point, I had twelve speakers working in this set up, counting three subs. 😎

As I type everything is down but two bookshelf monitors and the tvs are using their built in speakers. So sad. I really should get this back together today.

https://ibb.co/BKbHMyY

https://ibb.co/3mg2TK6

VinylGuys. Sell me on updating restoring this for a start in vinyl. What's the pros? I have no vinyl. Current plan is to spay it piano black and make the old tube amp work with bluetooth and done.

Also the unfinished speaker boxes are the project to replace my Yamaha 5.1 surround in a box speakers. They are pretty good for $150 new. I'll  also ship them free if someone wants them when the others are done. Just the four sats and center. I love the sub

https://ibb.co/BKbHMyY

https://ibb.co/3mg2TK6

VinylGuys. Sell me on updating restoring this for a start in vinyl. What's the pros? I have no vinyl. Current plan is to spay it piano black and make the old tube amp work with bluetooth and done.

Also the unfinished speaker boxes are the project to replace my Yamaha 5.1 surround in a box speakers. They are pretty good for $150 new. I'll  also ship them free if someone wants them when the others are done. Just the four sats and center. I love the sub
Did you build all that or just the speaker boxes?  Looks really cool.

I built the speaker boxes (sized and cutout with advice from audio nerds at diyaudio) out of some very old mahogany from my departed parents bedroom furniture. The nerds also did some dsp measurements and recommended drivers (woofs and tweets) from Parts Express that will go in soon. The mice chewed up console I picked up at Goodwill for $50. It has a version (Silvertone) of this amp in it working perfectly. The preamp is dead (mice). The wood is a little too stained to be restored, so paint and poly or some other shiny hard clear coat.

My favorite audio nerd explains the truth behind vinyl. My takeaway is I would need a very high end tt to go with my amp and probably need to upgrade the old speakers and then start investing in the good stuff. Pass. Giant vintage tube amped bluetooth console it is.

My favorite audio nerd explains the truth behind vinyl. My takeaway is I would need a very high end tt to go with my amp and probably need to upgrade the old speakers and then start investing in the good stuff. Pass. Giant vintage tube amped bluetooth console it is.
See, I have all the other stuff already.  Almost got a nice TT off of goodwill tonight but was outbid.  Maybe tomorrow.

8 hifi hacks for home theatre (16 min. vid so)

1. Washing machine pucks for subwoofer stabilization. I did it w/2 12" subs and it's a nice (audio) improvement.

2. For vinylguys, cheap styler force gauge measures as accurately as $200 guages.

3. Anti-static brushes for record and stylus, also for vinylguys.

Wait, all 8 are linked below the video.
Yeah I got these

https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system

Never considered washing machine pucks :(

I have been trying to track down a nice tuner for a week or two now at the thrift stores and sites with no success.  

Picked up a SECOND Thorens turntable today.  Can't wait to set them up!  The reddit is a pretty cool place for setup ideas fwiw.  The furniture is really interesting on most.

My basement us getting closer to finished.  I picked up some audio friendly furniture this week.  Gonna try to set it up in anticipation of loading it up with pieces, but without the wife realizing.  Maybe I'll place hold with flower vases or something.  We got a fish tank too.

I picked up an Atwater Kent 40 from the 1920's.  I really just got it because the tubes looked cool.  I gotta watch some you tube videos on how to fix all this stuff. 

I picked up another Salamander Cabinet this week.  This one is sixty six inches long with nine internal shelves.  These units hold A LOT of weight and it's just what I need to store all the heavy amps I have acquired over the last month. 

I also grabbed a solid metal and wire LP record holder.  The only thing with that is there is some paint chipping.  So now I need to figure out how to sand and repaint metal.

The space is coming along.  I hope to have some pictures up over the next week or so.  I have seven TV's in my house, but I'm ginna need to pick up another that is 60 or larger for the new space.

Does anyone know if those weights they put on top of the turntables now help the sound?  I never used one.  Thanks

Is anyone else putting a setup together?

Users who are viewing this thread