What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official putting together an Audiophile system - electric boogaloo*** (1 Viewer)

Hey, I bought the TT!

Is the bronze a better upgrade than the blue stylus?

I may want to upgrade.

TIA
Bronze has a fine line diamond so you should be able to notice some improved high frequencies. 
you can actually put the Bronze stylus on the blue/red body and will get most of the improvement in performance without spending the bigger bucks to get the whole cartridge. About $200 vs $500

I picked up another Salamander Cabinet this week.  This one is sixty six inches long with nine internal shelves.  These units hold A LOT of weight and it's just what I need to store all the heavy amps I have acquired over the last month. 

I also grabbed a solid metal and wire LP record holder.  The only thing with that is there is some paint chipping.  So now I need to figure out how to sand and repaint metal.

The space is coming along.  I hope to have some pictures up over the next week or so.  I have seven TV's in my house, but I'm ginna need to pick up another that is 60 or larger for the new space.

Does anyone know if those weights they put on top of the turntables now help the sound?  I never used one.  Thanks

Is anyone else putting a setup together?
Nice, they were one of the two companies I was looking at for my home theater setup, I ended up going with Standout Designs.  I had to go with the more custom home theater brands because my center channel speaker was too big to fit in anything "standard" you can find in furniture stores.  I freaked out a little at the time because the "tv stand" cost more then the TV, but man I love it.  All my gear hidden away on 6 shelves, a huge center channel spot and two big drawers for discs and video game controllers.

The Tick said:
Nice, they were one of the two companies I was looking at for my home theater setup, I ended up going with Standout Designs.  I had to go with the more custom home theater brands because my center channel speaker was too big to fit in anything "standard" you can find in furniture stores.  I freaked out a little at the time because the "tv stand" cost more then the TV, but man I love it.  All my gear hidden away on 6 shelves, a huge center channel spot and two big drawers for discs and video game controllers.
I have already bought three different pieces of furniture (two salamander pieces) for all this stuff I'm getting together. I'll check out the other brand you mentioned.  I haven't even really considered where our video game stuff is going.  Yikes.

Bronze has a fine line diamond so you should be able to notice some improved high frequencies. 
you can actually put the Bronze stylus on the blue/red body and will get most of the improvement in performance without spending the bigger bucks to get the whole cartridge. About $200 vs $500

I know nothing about the cartridges, but I was wondering if they can be repaired.  I have a good one but the needle part is gone.  A few cartridges came with one of the Thorens 160's I bought.  

I have a loose red and black Shure vn35mr one, a Stanton G2100, and a blue Ortofon M15E Super.  Are those any good?  I have half a dozen others floating around here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about the cartridges, but I was wondering if they can be repaired.  I have a good one but the needle part is gone.  A few cartridges came with one of the Thorens 160's I bought.  

I have a loose red and black Shure vn35mr one, a Stanton G2100, and a blue Ortofon M15E Super.  Are those any good?  I have half a dozen others floating around here.  
Those should have a removable stylus, maybe replacements can be found online or try an audio store nearby? 

I need to get a more powerful pre amp amp for the B&W's.

Currently I'm running an old 50 watt Denon  DRA-550 from the mid 80's.

Anyone have a good recommendation for an amp to pair with the 630's?

I'm considering this...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/classé-sigma-2200i-integrated-amplifier

Would like to get something with 150+ Watts!
Pasting my reply from the other thread with additional comments.

Then you need to find a local place that will let you audition in home for sure. And what's interesting is the source that is key to good sound. I have used this Rotel with pre/pros from Rotel (loved), Yamaha (Meh), Onkyo (terrible), Denon (loved) and Marantz (loved). If you like the Denon sound then you should like Marantz. Marantz just uses better components and I like the look better as well.

How many sources? Analog or digital? Could go with an integrated amp like these PM700N or high end PM-KI, or you could do a stereo receiver NR1200 paired with a stereo amp MM7025

Really lots of choices based on budget.

Additional thoughts. I thought your speakers were the 603s not the DM630s.

Regardless if it were me I would audition a ton in person with the option to take home and audition. Otherwise, based on personal preferences, I'd go with the NR1200 + MM7025, it has a phono input, HEOS, airplay and such and that amp is a big boy.

Pasting my reply from the other thread with additional comments.

Then you need to find a local place that will let you audition in home for sure. And what's interesting is the source that is key to good sound. I have used this Rotel with pre/pros from Rotel (loved), Yamaha (Meh), Onkyo (terrible), Denon (loved) and Marantz (loved). If you like the Denon sound then you should like Marantz. Marantz just uses better components and I like the look better as well.

How many sources? Analog or digital? Could go with an integrated amp like these PM700N or high end PM-KI, or you could do a stereo receiver NR1200 paired with a stereo amp MM7025

Really lots of choices based on budget.

Additional thoughts. I thought your speakers were the 603s not the DM630s.

Regardless if it were me I would audition a ton in person with the option to take home and audition. Otherwise, based on personal preferences, I'd go with the NR1200 + MM7025, it has a phono input, HEOS, airplay and such and that amp is a big boy.
Hey, yeah my mistake....they're DM630's.  They sound great with Jazz ..Rock not so much.

My budget for the amp is about $2800. Scratch and Dent are ok...used not so much.

Thanks again Hawks..very helpful!

:thumbup:

I have been going nuts buying stuff off craigs/marketplace, then getting it cleaned and fixed.  Are there any support groups for this addiction?  Tia.

Scored a Marantz 2250B on CL yesterday for two hundy.  It's HEAVY.  That gives me three now.  2220B, 2238B, and the 2250B.  I like the 2238B the best.  Happy hunting.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
PIK95 said:
Scored a Marantz 2250B on CL yesterday for two hundy.  It's HEAVY.  That gives me three now.  2220B, 2238B, and the 2250B.  I like the 2238B the best.  Happy hunting.
I had a Marantz 2245 for awhile, and now run a restored 3800 Pre / 300 DC amp. Love that old Marantz stuff.

Ah, found the right thread.

Looking to get 5.1 receiver with Bluetooth and 4k capability.  I'm not an aficionado or anything, and I'm cheap.  Any recommendations?

Purpose will be for TV/movies and occasionally playing music from Spotify/amazon.

Ah, found the right thread.

Looking to get 5.1 receiver with Bluetooth and 4k capability.  I'm not an aficionado or anything, and I'm cheap.  Any recommendations?

Purpose will be for TV/movies and occasionally playing music from Spotify/amazon.
What price range?

What speakers are you using?
I have some onkyo from a previous receiver/speaker combo package i bought 15 years ago.  They are fine.  Receiver got dropped.

Onkyo skf-200f it looks like

I have some onkyo from a previous receiver/speaker combo package i bought 15 years ago.  They are fine.  Receiver got dropped.

Onkyo skf-200f it looks like
Being a onkyo speaker that's 15 years old I'd probably go with this as long as your ok with refurbs.

Receiver

Speaker Options one and two.

I finally hooked up the old Dynaco A25 speakers I bought last year.  They might be the best sounding speakers I have ever heard.  I knew they had a solid rep, but I wasn't expecting that.  If you see a pair for $250 or under JUMP on them.  

Anyone else here more into CD's than Vinyl?

I'm mostly a vinyl guy but use plex for my digital collection

Anyone have any experience with roon compared to plex?

Anyone run plex as a passthrough with their stereo?

I'm mostly a vinyl guy but use plex for my digital collection

Anyone have any experience with roon compared to plex?

Anyone run plex as a passthrough with their stereo?
I don't know enough about either.  The DAC in my California Audio HDCD's are so good though.  I do wonder if my Nakamichi pre-amp would be as good running digital through it as it as with the phono.  I'm still learning that stuff.

I have heard great things about Roon fwiw.

I don't know enough about either.  The DAC in my California Audio HDCD's are so good though.  I do wonder if my Nakamichi pre-amp would be as good running digital through it as it as with the phono.  I'm still learning that stuff.

I have heard great things about Roon fwiw.

I've heard great things about Roon and i really like the idea of having all the information about the bands and albums at my finger tips.  I spend hours reading about the bands on plex

Roon is very expensive up front though so i have been thinking about it for awhile

I've heard great things about Roon and i really like the idea of having all the information about the bands and albums at my finger tips.  I spend hours reading about the bands on plex

Roon is very expensive up front though so i have been thinking about it for awhile
How much?  I never checked.  Do you have to pay monthly?

I moved to a new house in the spring, and bought some new speakers - Focal Chora 826. Oh my goodness are these incredible - the soundstage and imaging are almost magical. Like the music is floating in the air. They are addicting to listen to. A bit pricey (for me, anyway - I never spent 2k on speakers before), but I'm super happy with the purchase. 

I love Roon - can't recommend it highly enough.  I have a Devialet integrated in the basement that's Roon Ready and everything is completely seamless.  My primary system is analog but I bought an Arcam streamer that's Roon Ready for when I'm listening to digital upstairs.  I also have a couple of portable Bluesound speakers that are Roon Ready too.  Perfect for a party where all four zones can run off of the Roon app.

Hey yo....  I have some mighty sweet Snell Type D speakers.  In original box.  Probably too big and heavy to ship.  Any local FBGs interested?  Any non-local FBGs interested?   

I love Roon - can't recommend it highly enough.  I have a Devialet integrated in the basement that's Roon Ready and everything is completely seamless.  My primary system is analog but I bought an Arcam streamer that's Roon Ready for when I'm listening to digital upstairs.  I also have a couple of portable Bluesound speakers that are Roon Ready too.  Perfect for a party where all four zones can run off of the Roon app.

How do you 'watch' your roon?  

Been thinking about upgrading my speakers, as I've recently updated both my receiver (Yamaha TSR-700 7.1 from Costco, so still relatively "entry" level as far as these things go) and TV.

Anyways, feel like it's time to actually have some really nice speakers, not the controversy driving ones I have now (see below). My general use case is movies, but I do also just use them for music (although often just streaming). And the horror, but I don't generally flip the stereo from 7.1 to 2 channel for music (but I may if I have speakers decent enough to hear the difference).

I know you don't necessarily save money, but I have been considering building 4 identical speakers for the front/rear L/R, and a center channel and new sub. Not sure about what to do for the Atmos speakers yet, but probably should consider upgrading those, but may just purchase something. May keep the existing sub at first, as it still works pretty good and is pretty tight, but looking for something that can provide a bigger punch (while not getting sloppy).

Been looking at GR-Research - the X-LS Encores kits for the 4 L/R speakers and X-CS Encore for the center channel. Anyone have any experience with them or thoughts on other suggestions to look at?

For speakers, currently (please, only mild judgement) I have the following (yes, Bose, but it's the bookshelf versions, not the little squares, at least, and I bought them all used a long time ago at no where near retail, if it matters).

• 2 Bose 301 series 4 bookshelf for front L/R
  • 2 Bose 301 series 3 bookshelf for rear L/R
  • 1 Bose VCS-10 center channel
  • 2 KLH mini speakers for the Atmos output (formerly was just rear for an old 5.1 setup)
  • Home built subwoofer (ported 8" Kicker, don't remember the amp specs) - haven't really needed a larger sub as this plus the 4 8" woofers in the bookshelf speakers pump out a decent amount of bass

Been thinking about upgrading my speakers, as I've recently updated both my receiver (Yamaha TSR-700 7.1 from Costco, so still relatively "entry" level as far as these things go) and TV.

Anyways, feel like it's time to actually have some really nice speakers, not the controversy driving ones I have now (see below). My general use case is movies, but I do also just use them for music (although often just streaming). And the horror, but I don't generally flip the stereo from 7.1 to 2 channel for music (but I may if I have speakers decent enough to hear the difference).

I know you don't necessarily save money, but I have been considering building 4 identical speakers for the front/rear L/R, and a center channel and new sub. Not sure about what to do for the Atmos speakers yet, but probably should consider upgrading those, but may just purchase something. May keep the existing sub at first, as it still works pretty good and is pretty tight, but looking for something that can provide a bigger punch (while not getting sloppy).

Been looking at GR-Research - the X-LS Encores kits for the 4 L/R speakers and X-CS Encore for the center channel. Anyone have any experience with them or thoughts on other suggestions to look at?

For speakers, currently (please, only mild judgement) I have the following (yes, Bose, but it's the bookshelf versions, not the little squares, at least, and I bought them all used a long time ago at no where near retail, if it matters).

Have you built speakers before or are you very handy with electronics/woodworking? If neither then I'd stay away from build it yourself kits. I don't have any experience with them so I can't comment on GR-Research quality.

FWIW - I had 301s same center and 151 rears, they made a fine system pre upgrade :)    Its the satellite box bose systems that get all the crap :)

Have you built speakers before or are you very handy with electronics/woodworking? If neither then I'd stay away from build it yourself kits. I don't have any experience with them so I can't comment on GR-Research quality.
I've built quite a few sub enclosures for car audio back (well, awhile). And built my own home subwoofer. I am pretty passable when it comes to woodworking, I know enough about speakers and software to use the audio software to figure out enclosure sizes, port lengths/sizes, etc. for subs. Not so much about crossovers, although I am handy enough with soldering I'm not concerned about that aspect.

But that's why the kit linked above was appealing, because all the circuitry for the crossovers and even the enclosure specs were already designed/defined. So I'd just have to build it to spec and wire it up. Like I said, I could probably just get a decent upgrade on the older speakers I have by just buying something off the shelf for about the same money (just the parts for 5 of those kits, not including a subwoofer and something for atmos height channel speakers, would be probably be close to just grabbing a nice 7 speaker surround set from Costco. But I have read that, if done right (key, right?), a home built set like this will out-perform a shelf-set.

I've built quite a few sub enclosures for car audio back (well, awhile). And built my own home subwoofer. I am pretty passable when it comes to woodworking, I know enough about speakers and software to use the audio software to figure out enclosure sizes, port lengths/sizes, etc. for subs. Not so much about crossovers, although I am handy enough with soldering I'm not concerned about that aspect.

But that's why the kit linked above was appealing, because all the circuitry for the crossovers and even the enclosure specs were already designed/defined. So I'd just have to build it to spec and wire it up. Like I said, I could probably just get a decent upgrade on the older speakers I have by just buying something off the shelf for about the same money (just the parts for 5 of those kits, not including a subwoofer and something for atmos height channel speakers, would be probably be close to just grabbing a nice 7 speaker surround set from Costco. But I have read that, if done right (key, right?), a home built set like this will out-perform a shelf-set.
It really depends. My BIL has bought the enclosure kits and then bought the crossovers and speakers from an entirely different place, saying that the all in one kits don't always have the good electronics or drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread