What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (1 Viewer)

Never said he wouldn’t play this week? Get it right or shut it.

Mono is a generic diagnosis when someone feels sluggish and the Drs can’t find a problem. Well .... must be mono.

or maybe he just sux
Stop, dude. Your position is wrong, you're delusional with respect to this, and now you're hostile.

It's not a good look. At all. 

Sam Darnold completed 23-of-32 passes for 338 yards, two touchdowns and one pick in the Jets' Week 6 upset over the Cowboys.

Darnold immediately instilled life into a previously lifeless offense as the Jets' three touchdowns in the first half trumped their two offensive scores from the first four games. Upon stuffing Dak Prescott on a 4th-and-2 opportunity from seven-yards out in the first quarter, Darnold took to the field and responded by stepping up in the pocket and launching a 92-yard touchdown strike to Robby Anderson (5/125/1) streaking downfield. Sunday already makes for the third time the 22-year-old has eclipsed the 300-yard mark in his young career. Unfortunately, he'll be an option to avoid against New England's shutdown defense next Monday. If anything, appreciate the fact that New York's receivers are now all back in play.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Unfortunately, he'll be an option to avoid against New England's shutdown defense next Monday."

Speak for your own, Roto. He's a go in a Superflex next week against the Pats for me.

Darnold looked pretty good today. Seemed in control of things, made some nice passes.  Looking forward to seeing how he looks next week vs. NE

Pairing Darnold with Minshew ROS. Feel great about Darnold’s schedule after this week. 

minshew plays CIN this week

darnold week 9-14 (JAX,MIA,NYG,WAS,OAK,CIN,MIA) 🤤

and minshew(assuming he keeps the job, who knows) week 15-16(if I make it) gets OAK and ATL in the championship. 

usually don’t like carrying 2 QBs but this just pairs too well for me to turn down. 

Got a feeling we are looking at a re-occurrence of mono ... maybe bench him against the Jags and then bring him back for the easy stretch vs Mia, Giants, Skins   

What a terrible showing. He's clearly spooked out there against the Pats.

Yes, the Pats D is getting pressure, covering guys downfield very well, doing it all.

But even on downs where the pocket is clear or the play is clearly designed, Darnold is all over the place. Zero accuracy or touch.

Hopefully he shrugs this off and regroups. This whole team has a HUGE opportunity coming up with a soft schedule. Darnold needs to be ready to take advantage of it -- he certainly doesn't look capable of that tonight.

Sam Darnold completed just 11-of-32 passes for 86 yards, no touchdowns, and four interceptions in the Jets' 33-0, Week 7 loss to the Patriots Monday night.

He also lost a fumble on the lone sack he absorbed. After Darnold's impressive outing in his return from mono last week against Dallas, this game was the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Darnold finished with a 3.7 QB rating. Although he was sacked just the one time, Darnold was under heavy pressure early, as Bill Belichick dialed up countless blitzes, daring Darnold to beat him. Spoiler: He didn't. And Darnold was even mic'ed up for this game by ESPN and was caught admitting in the first half that he was "seeing ghosts" in the pocket. It was evident. Darnold threw off his back foot at an alarming rate, sometimes even in a clean pocket. All four of his picks were hideous throws, and two of them were red-zone ducks into the end zone that resulted in easy grabs for the defender. The Patriots field a historic defense, so this was no easy test, but Darnold was beyond bad. He'll try to rebound next week at Jacksonville, but he has to be shook after this one.

Oct 21, 2019, 11:26 PM ET

That was freaking scary to watch last night. 

But how good is this Patriots defense? Is it how bad their competition has been? Or are they this dominant? Or a perfect cocktail of both? 

Adam Gase......is a total hack BTW. I was stunned they hired that fraud. He won’t last.

This has nothing to do with his physical skill now.  It's all between the ears and any bounceback he's capable of won't be made with arm talent.
Yep. Van Noy couldn't believe he said he was "seeing ghosts."

Van Noy: "He actually said that? I can't believe it!"

But how good is this Patriots defense? Is it how bad their competition has been? Or are they this dominant? Or a perfect cocktail of both? 

Adam Gase......is a total hack BTW. I was stunned they hired that fraud. He won’t last.
The Gase thing is hilarious because they also can't fire him without poisoning the well of future coaches. 

The good coaching prospects avoid the toxic team situations like the plague. 

The Gase thing is hilarious because they also can't fire him without poisoning the well of future coaches. 

The good coaching prospects avoid the toxic team situations like the plague. 
It's my hope the hiring of Douglas mitigates this quite a bit. It's well-known that Gase isn't his coach, so I think they'll get a pass this one time. 

With as fast as the Patriots were whizzing by his linemen I'm sure they actually did look like ghosts.

The whole team looked totally checked out (except maybe Le'Veon)

Yes, the Patriots D is that good, but that was a pretty sad to watch Darnold be that spooked.  He was throwing off his back foot all game. Like he was afraid to get hit.

With as fast as the Patriots were whizzing by his linemen I'm sure they actually did look like ghosts.

The whole team looked totally checked out (except maybe Le'Veon)
If I were a Jets fan, I think this is what I would be most concerned about. That is entirely due to failure of coaching and a lack of leadership. 

Ideally coaches create a team culture where EVERYBODY rallies when things are down and everyone is there to pick each other up. Barring that you hopefully have a few guys on the team that are true leaders and can rally the troops. The best player for that to be is your QB. The Jets clearly don’t have a coaching staff that has created that culture, doesn’t seem to have a core group of players that will rally the troops, and Darnold looks more like a guy that will wilt and melt in adversity rather than rally the troops and get people fired up to claw back into things.

If I were a Jets fan, I think this is what I would be most concerned about. That is entirely due to failure of coaching and a lack of leadership. 

Ideally coaches create a team culture where EVERYBODY rallies when things are down and everyone is there to pick each other up. Barring that you hopefully have a few guys on the team that are true leaders and can rally the troops. The best player for that to be is your QB. The Jets clearly don’t have a coaching staff that has created that culture, doesn’t seem to have a core group of players that will rally the troops, and Darnold looks more like a guy that will wilt and melt in adversity rather than rally the troops and get people fired up to claw back into things.
This is true, but it's awfully hard to be a young twenty-two and assume that role on the club. Even Brady wasn't expected to do it his first year or two. He was a game manager back then. 

Wa there a reason Darnold was only throwing to the slow, old Demarius Thomas all night? It was befuddling, but to be honest it didn't matter because he wasn't getting passes with 15 yards of the receiver. 

Yes, the Patriots D is that good, but that was a pretty sad to watch Darnold be that spooked.  He was throwing off his back foot all game. Like he was afraid to get hit.
I don't think he was afraid of getting hit.  Watching Orlovsky break it down, it wasn't just Darnold, at all.  The oline was awful at picking up the blitz.  Had 4 guys blocking two, and allowing free rushers on the other side.  On the first pick, you could hear Darnold calling out "58" before the snap as the blitzer to pick him up.  No one did, and that gave Darnold 1 second to make a pass before getting hit.  

Orlovsky also said the Pats did this a year ago to Mahomes.  Andy Reid adjusted, giving Mahomes options to quick and simple throws.  Gase did not.  

Making blanket statements/judgements about a 22 year old QB based on one game where Bill Belichek got in his head doesn't seem so smart.  Darnold was the AFC offensive player of the week last week because he showed great pocket awareness, read the defense well, and threw on time and accurately.  

He looked decent the week prior. I think people tend to over react to his last game but it does show he has some growing to do and I'm sure upcoming opponents will try to use what the Patriots exposed. I think there is still hope for the young man against teams not as good as the Patriots.

Users who are viewing this thread