What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (1 Viewer)

He looked decent the week prior. I think people tend to over react to his last game but it does show he has some growing to do and I'm sure upcoming opponents will try to use what the Patriots exposed. I think there is still hope for the young man against teams not as good as the Patriots.
I think somewhere in the middle of forty yard touch passes downfield and last night is where you'll find him over the next year or so.

Sam Darnold (toe) will be limited in Wednesday's practice.

Darnold had a toenail removed after his horrid Monday night performance against the Patriots. But coach Adam Gase said Darnold will play Week 8 against the Jaguars.

SOURCE: Bob Glauber on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 11:18 AM ET

Heard him called Sam "Casper" Donald on the radio this morning. :D

I would think opposing defenses will be using some Ghost Buster trash talk in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like this is the first time people have heard the term "seeing ghosts".

I don't get it.
When is the last time you heard an elite-level anyone admit getting whooped in the heat of the moment?   I can see it now, Mike Tyson telling Cus D'amato "he keeps hitting me in my tummy and it hurts".

When is the last time you heard an elite-level anyone admit getting whooped in the heat of the moment?   I can see it now, Mike Tyson telling Cus D'amato "he keeps hitting me in my tummy and it hurts".
I've heard "we're getting our ### kicked" about a million times during athletic events. If you've never heard an athlete say that, you haven't played at any reasonable level of competition.

Updating an earlier report, Sam Darnold (toe) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

It's a significant update since coach Adam Gase initially stated he expected Darnold to take part in team drills. Darnold's still expected to play, but it's concerning he may not take any reps before throwing his next pass only one week after tossing four picks to 'ghosts'. He'll be a blind faith QB2 against the Jaguars if available.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Sam Darnold (toe) will be limited in Thursday's practice.

Darnold is expected to suit up Sunday against the Jaguars. Darnold's ghost-themed trainwreck last Monday night was easily the worst we've seen the second-year QB ever look. Still, he's hardly the first 22-year-old QB to have trouble against Bill Belichick and company. Better days will be ahead for this entire passing game. Still, this week's matchup against the Jaguars is setting up better for Le'Veon Bell, as the Jags defense has been significantly better against the pass (No. 9 in DVOA) than the run (No. 27) through seven weeks.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter.

Oct 24, 2019, 10:57 AM ET

I've heard "we're getting our ### kicked" about a million times during athletic events. If you've never heard an athlete say that, you haven't played at any reasonable level of competition.
This feels different when you add into how Darnold was playing.  He was scared and played just horribly.  He was afraid of that NE D before the game started and lost the game before it started.   

Sam Darnold (toe) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice.

Darnold's toe "injury" is not an issue heading into Sunday's game with the Jaguars. Coming off one of the worst quarterback performances you will ever see, Darnold will be looking to rebound mentally as much as physically in Week 8. He put on an admirable performance before the media on Thursday. The second-year pro definitely has his wits about him. Darnold is a low-end QB2 following last week's fiasco.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

Coach Adam Gase said "it looks like" Sam Darnold (thumb) will play through his injury.

Darnold is dealing with a sprained left thumb and called the issue a "pain-tolerance thing." Darnold added himself that he should be fine. The Jets' franchise QB has been mostly awful this season aside from his solid outing against the Cowboys back in Week 6, averaging an absolutely pitiful 4.1 adjusted yards per attempt with just five touchdowns against eight interceptions. The good news for the Jets is that they have a prime get-right spot in Week 9 against the Dolphins.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:00 PM ET

Sam Darnold completed 19-of-30 passes for 230 yards and a touchdown in Week 10 against the Giants.

He also rushed for 25 yards and scored on a designed QB run from the two-yard line. Darnold started off hot, completing his first seven passes and leading the Jets to scoring drives on the first two series. He faded after that, but he managed the Jets to a win in the second half. Darnold played his first clean game in weeks after committing eight turnovers the last three games. With a matchup against the Redskins in Week 11, Darnold is on the streaming radar and should be a popular DFS play.

I think the ‘ghosts’...thing...was unfair to Darnold which has in turn led to a pretty significant perception issue.  But let’s take out the NE game.  BB is notorious for gutting young QB’s.  In 4 games since his return from mono.

90/131 1046 6/5; NYJ is 2-2.

...and two of those games were against pretty solid DST’s (JAX, DAL).

This having been accomplished with NY in fine form questioning Gase’s future.  Count me as someone not ready to throw the towel in on the kid.

I think the ‘ghosts’...thing...was unfair to Darnold which has in turn led to a pretty significant perception issue.  But let’s take out the NE game.  BB is notorious for gutting young QB’s.  In 4 games since his return from mono.

90/131 1046 6/5; NYJ is 2-2.

...and two of those games were against pretty solid DST’s (JAX, DAL).

This having been accomplished with NY in fine form questioning Gase’s future.  Count me as someone not ready to throw the towel in on the kid.
His talent at WR and TE leaves a little to be desired as well.   I'm not sold but Darnold is playing well enough that it would be interesting to see what he does with a better supporting cast in 2020.   

Sam Darnold completed 19-of-30 passes for 293 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception in the Week 11 win over the Redskins.

The Redskins were pathetic on both sides of the ball, but Darnold deserves credit for taking advantage of a golden opportunity. Darnold continues to spread the ball around to his three receivers and even got his tight ends involved with Ryan Griffin and Daniel Brown scoring easy touchdowns. The young quarterback is no longer seeing ghosts and is capable of posting streaming-level performances for fantasy in the best of matchups. Next week's home game against the Raiders qualifies. Darnold will be a QB2 streamer then.

Really? This is the header of the article.

"Sam Darnold has had a rocky start to his NFL career, but are the ghosts finally behind him as an NFL passer? Is his dynasty stock rising based on recent success?"

Stock rising? After LITERALLY 1 good game against arguably the worst team in the league.

Garbage sports journalism here.
You could look at it differently.  Like he’s had one awful game since he returned, but other than that he’s put together...

109/161 1339 10/6; Jets are 3-2.

This does have all the makings of a sleepy early Sunday for the Raiders and Jets when volume is absolutely necessary for me today. 

Bummer.  

Darnold should throw for at least 250 and 2 TDs against that thin Raiders secondary.  

Over/under on this game is 47 and dropping as we speak, apparently, because of reasons listed earlier, including the 20th and 29th slowest pace in the league.

eta* Weather did not look pretty in the cutaway they did to the game from the NFL Network.  

Just a general Darnold opinion---I think the dude is going to be a pretty solid qb for the Jets in the future.   The whole "ghost comment" and a couple really horrid games really pushed some people off of his bandwagon---but let's not forget that the dude is still recovering from an illness that basically saps your strength and energy levels.  All this while playing the hardest position in one of the quickest and most violent sports on the planet.   He might not be over the mono until next season and will probably have some ups and downs until then.   Generally--I like his outlook and while I don't play dynasty--I do think the could be a good guy to target buying low in dynasty leagues.  

Sam Darnold completed 20-of-29 passes for 315 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Jets' 34-3, Week 12 win over the Raiders.

Darnold also scampered in for a short rushing touchdown on a read-option play from the four-yard line. The Jets’ franchise QB played great for the majority of the afternoon, slinging accurate passes to his various receivers in rhythm while also demonstrating the ability to create off script when protection broke down. Coach Adam Gase also deserves credit for scheming open receivers for most of the game, notably Ryan Griffin and Robby Anderson on their respective short scores. Darnold's recent hot streak has been fueled by matchups against the Giants, Redskins and now Raiders, but upcoming spots against the Bengals in Week 13 and Dolphins in Week 14 don't figure to be much more difficult.

This kid has some game. The Jets need to prioritize getting him a true #1 WR next year (Jerry Jeudy maybe?) and some help with the O-line. When he has the chance to scan the field he is borderline elite.

Can anyone explain why he was so terrible against the Bengals a few weeks ago? What has changed?

Why does everyone seem to expect him to continue this hot streak?

Can anyone explain why he was so terrible against the Bengals a few weeks ago? What has changed?

Why does everyone seem to expect him to continue this hot streak?
You're getting your felines confused.  He played poorly against the Jaguars, not the Bengals (and he had a 70% completion percentage and 2 touchdowns against the Jaguars, but also 3 interceptions).  For me, he is matchup dependent.  He has played well in his last 4 games but 3 of those were against weak teams.  But entering this season I felt that Darnold had looked pretty good last year and that he had the potential to make the next step this year.  It's hard to know whether he has made that step or not especially with his mono situation.  But he is definitely better than any of the schlubs available on the waiver wire.  I'm having a difficult time choosing this week between Darnold @ Cinci or Josh Allen @ Dallas.  I am only considering Darnold because of the prime matchup.

You're getting your felines confused.  He played poorly against the Jaguars, not the Bengals (and he had a 70% completion percentage and 2 touchdowns against the Jaguars, but also 3 interceptions).  For me, he is matchup dependent.  He has played well in his last 4 games but 3 of those were against weak teams.  But entering this season I felt that Darnold had looked pretty good last year and that he had the potential to make the next step this year.  It's hard to know whether he has made that step or not especially with his mono situation.  But he is definitely better than any of the schlubs available on the waiver wire.  I'm having a difficult time choosing this week between Darnold @ Cinci or Josh Allen @ Dallas.  I am only considering Darnold because of the prime matchup.
Whoops! I meant Miami. He did poorly against Jags and Dolphins, two pretty easy matchups for QBs. 

I just don’t know how anyone can trust him after ####ting the bed against Miami. 

Whoops! I meant Miami. He did poorly against Jags and Dolphins, two pretty easy matchups for QBs. 

I just don’t know how anyone can trust him after ####ting the bed against Miami. 
Im rolling him over ARod.

I wouldnt start ARod over a blind kid right now though. So, use that valuing of Darnold loosely. 

Users who are viewing this thread