What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (2 Viewers)

Sam Darnold’s Deep Shots Have Jets Buzzing Again, End of the Ereck Flowers Era for Giants

Excerpt:

The Jets are privately excited with the steps Sam Darnold took against a Denver defense that challenged Patrick Mahomes six days earlier. Darnold’s numbers (10-of-22, 198 yards, 3 TDs, INT) hardly jump off the page, and the run game’s big day (Isaiah Crowell had 219 rushing yards, Bilal Powell went for 99) didn’t hurt the rookie either. But all three of Darnold’s touchdown passes were legit downfield shots; to coaches that represents a quarterback who’s starting to see the field better, and shedding the natural rookie tendency to be overly cautious with the ball. There was also a third-and-12 throw in the third quarter—a deep out-cut to Jermaine Kearse for a first down—that had Darnold’s teammates buzzing, too. The arrow is pointing up there.

very polarizing so far. some absolute flops, and some gems too.

that pass to robbie anderson for the td was a beauty

Mayfield 12th in the league in QBR, darnold is 28th

And not cuz im a browns fan, but mayfield looks on another planet to darnold
:lol:   I suppose we can cherry pick stats to make any point these days. 

Mayfield is very controversial. Some of his passes are just way off. He has a bit of a learning curve yet. Not sure if hes Goff or Dalton at this point. If he doesnt improve and ends up being Dalton, I guess that's still a win for the Browns

They both look Good, both franchises ws should be set for awhile.. yeah!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:   I suppose we can cherry pick stats to make any point these days. 
QBR is not a cherry picked stat, it is an EXTREMELY well used/important stat.

Mayfield (2 starts / 1 half game ) - 63 comp / 59% comp % / 838yds / 3tds / 60.4QBR

Darnold ( 5 starts) - 83 comp / 56% comp / 1066 yds / 7tds / 38.2QBR

Mayfield (2 starts / 1 half game ) - 63 comp / 59% comp % / 838yds / 3tds / 60.4QBR

Today was a good day...

:lmao: Soulfly3.  

Mayfield (3 starts one 1/2 game) 85 comp/55% comp/1076 yards/4 tds/5 Picks/NY/A 5.96

Darnold (6 starts) - 107 comp/60% comp/1346 yards/9 tds/7 Picks/NY/A 6.7

Yep. Darnold looks like totally outclassed here.  

IMHO the biggest detriment to Darnold is the OC and the HC. Had him dinking and dunking and didn't want him to air it out the past few games. He's shown he can handle a lot on his plate, let the guy work it.

Oh, and two years younger than Mayfield. 

But this is really about both teams missing out on Mahomes.  
Yeah Darnold is looking nice. He had a good to in our 2 QB league filling in for Stafford. 
As for Mahomes, the whole league was asleep at the wheel. The Jags sticking with Bortles and taking Fournette instead was an incredible franchise altering blunder.  

IMHO the biggest detriment to Darnold is the OC and the HC. Had him dinking and dunking and didn't want him to air it out the past few games. He's shown he can handle a lot on his plate, let the guy work it.
Last few games have actually been much, much better in that respect.  His AY/A went from 5 to 2.5 to then 9.6 and 9.8. That's a little better.  

Yeah Darnold is looking nice. He had a good to in our 2 QB league filling in for Stafford. 
As for Mahomes, the whole league was asleep at the wheel. The Jags sticking with Bortles and taking Fournette instead was an incredible franchise altering blunder.  
I wanted the Jets to take him because I'd heard of him. I was very disappointed they took a safety that year. Then again, I wanted Josh Doctson over Darron Lee and was very disappointed in that, too, so it shows you what I know.  

I wanted the Jets to take him because I'd heard of him. I was very disappointed they took a safety that year. Then again, I wanted Josh Doctson over Darron Lee and was very disappointed in that, too, so it shows you what I know.  
Lee has come around this year. He was looking like a major bust coming into the season. How has Adams been?

Lee has come around this year. He was looking like a major bust coming into the season. How has Adams been?
As advertised. He's really good. And Lee has played much better this year. Jets defensive DVOA (Football Outsider's ranking system) is top ten defensively (sixth) and that's with them being downgraded for last year's performance in FO's weighting system. 

If they have Mahomes, they're SB contenders. If Darnold can do what he's done the past two games, then 9-7 isn't completely out of the question. But really, everybody, in the words of Dr. Octopus, just wants to see Darnold's development keep ticking upward.  

I'm thrilled with what Darnold has shown so far.  The o-line, offensive talent, and perhaps even the coaching is kind of suspect. The kid shows a ton of potential and a great demeanor. Plus he seems to lead and learn from mistakes. 

I personally don't care how Mayfield performs. That's on Browns fans to ponder the comparisons since they had to chance to draft any QB. I'm sure both QBs will be good. I'm happy that we landed Darnold. 

Rookie QBs will look good and bad. They will make mistakes. It's so over-hyped with every play under the microscope. Just let the kids grow. Guess what though, veteran QBs look crappy at times, too. Yet they seem to not have that same scrutiny because I guess everyone is trying to be an analyst and predict the future on the rookies. Every week I see veteran and even accomplished QBs look terrible. They would be called busts or just average if they were in their first season. 

I personally don't care how Mayfield performs. That's on Browns fans to ponder the comparisons since they had to chance to draft any QB. I'm sure both QBs will be good. I'm happy that we landed Darnold. 
I personally don't either, but Soulfly's Cleveland shtick is a bit out there and often misleading. It's fun to point out when his wild predictions aren't accurate.  

I'm thrilled with what Darnold has shown so far.  The o-line, offensive talent, and perhaps even the coaching is kind of suspect. The kid shows a ton of potential and a great demeanor. Plus he seems to lead and learn from mistakes.
Agreed, Jets got themselves a real good QB after fruitless efforts in past years of drafting / developing QBs.  Now they can start building around him. 

They both look Good, both franchises ws should be set for awhile.. yeah!
Both show promise for sure. I don't think I am ready to call either a for sure franchise QB yet but it's been a solid start. Both need major upgrades in their weapons though.

Mayfield 1-2 / 55.6 comp % / 4tds-5ints / 72.8 PR

Darnold  3-3 / 59.8 comp % / 9tds-7ints / 83.7 PR

Mayfield played all of sunday on a rolled ankle against an elite pass rush. Perhaps none of you say that go down early in the 1st quarter

Not worried at all. 

Darnold however, is looking decent. 

Sam Darnold completed 14-of-29 passes for 153 yards and a touchdown in Week 7 against Chicago.

It continues a downward trend for Darnold, who was held to 206 yards last week. Darnold didn't have any supporting cast with Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa sidelined. He hit Chris Herndon on a fourth-quarter red-zone touchdown, but there weren't many positive takeways from this one. Darnold's future outlook is still strong despite his recent scuttle. He get a matchup with Miami in Week 9.

Oct 28 - 4:14 PM

So, thoughts?

I'll refrain from opinion.
He had a very bad game but the fact that he had to make acrobatic grabs of almost every snap from center, throwing his timing off did not help.

Nevertheless two of the interceptions were inexcusable and that game was a step back instead of progress. He is the youngest starting QB ever so it’s foolish to really judge what he will be at this point. 

Still way to early to say anything definitive for the long term. There are very few Daks or DeShauns who breeze thru their rookie season.

The Jets are unsure if Sam Darnold (foot) will be ready to return following the team's Week 11 bye.

The Jets made it sound as if Darnold was close to being ready for Week 10, so it is a bit of a surprise. We would expect Darnold to be ready to face the Patriots, but foot injuries are infamously tricky. Josh McCown struggled in Darnold's absence, so there is no performance-based reason for the sinking Jets to hold off on returning to their rookie starter.

Source: Brian Costello on Twitter 

Nov 12 - 2:14 PM

He's flat out bad. He'll be given a pass for quite a while because he's super young and the media anointed him after one game, but I don't think you can say definitively that the Jets have their "QB of the future" just because he was drafted top 3. I wouldn't be shocked if his ceiling was in the Alex Smith/Tannehill range, which is noting more than competent. 

If I was a Giants fan, I'd be pretty happy they didn't draft him. 

Sam Darnold (foot) confirmed he plans to play Week 14 against the Bills.

We assumed as much after the Jets upgraded Darnold to full participation at Wednesday's practice. "The plan for me, personally, is to play," said the third overall pick. "Barring something catastrophic, I feel like I'm ready to go." Darnold was healthy enough to play in Week 13, though the Jets opted to play it safe by giving him another week. His return pushes veteran Josh McCown back to the bench.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Dec 5 - 6:25 PM

This kid looks great. He has zero weapons to work with. Can avoid the rush and has a cannon. I think he's gonna be a good one as long as they surround him with some talent. He's not Baker Mayfield but I think he'll be a good QB.

Good enough that the WR they draft next year to be their #1WR will be fantasy relevant even in his rookie year.

This kid looks great. He has zero weapons to work with. Can avoid the rush and has a cannon. I think he's gonna be a good one as long as they surround him with some talent. He's not Baker Mayfield but I think he'll be a good QB.
No weapons, a terrible o-line, and even worse coach. 

Users who are viewing this thread