What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Road To The 2018 Triple Crown - 5/10: Justy Back On (The) Track, Ruis Will Ship Bolty/Duck The Rain ** (1 Viewer)

otb_lifer

Footballguy
updating this post on the reg to put everything in a neater go-to package ...

PPs Here

LIVE Tote

1) Firenze Fire (J. Servins) P. Lopez 50/1

2) Free Drop Billy (D. Romans) R. Albarado 30/1

3) Promises Fulfilled (D. Romans) C. Lanarie 30/1

4) Flameaway (M. Casse) J. Lezcano 30/1

5) Audible (T. Pletcher) J. Castellano 8/1

6) Good Magic (C. Brown) J. Ortiz 12/1

7) Justify (B. Baffert) M. Smith 3/1

8) Lone Sailor (T. Amoss) J. Graham 50/1

9) Hofburg (W. Mott) J. L. Ortiz 20/1

10) My Boy Jack (K. Desormeaux) K. Desormeaux 30/1

11) Bolt D’Oro (M. Ruiz) V. Espinoza 8/1

12) Enticed (K. Mclaughlin) J. Alvarado 30/1

13) Bravazo (D. Wayne Lucas) 50/1

14) Mendelssohn (A. O’Brien) R. Moore 5/1

15) Instilled Regard (J. Hollendorfer) D. Van Dyke 50/1

16) Magnum Moon (T. Pletcher) L. Saez 6/1

17) Solomini (B. Baffert) F. Pratt 30/1

18) Vino Rosso (T. Pletcher) J. Velasquez 12/1

19) Noble Indy (T. Pletcher) F. Geroux 30/1

20) Combatant (S. Asmussen) R. Santana, Jr 50/1

here are the preps in order, most linked to YouTube replays - all bios link to KD homepage, 'cept for Paved (Equibase).

will continue to update this post with chronological prep results, along with the ensuing futures pools (3/9-11/18, 4/6-8/18)  and leader board.

9/16/17 Iroquois Stakes at Churchill Downs -  The Tabulator  (10/4/2/1)

9/30/17 Front Runner Stakes at Santa Anita -  Bolt d'Oro (10/4/2/1)

10/7/17 Champagne Stakes at Belmont - Firenze Fire (10/4/2/1)

10/7/17 Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland - Free Drop Billy (10/4/2/1)

11/4/17 Breeders Cup Juvey at Del Mar - Good Magic (20/8/4/2)

11/25/17 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs - Enticed (10/4/2/1) 

12/2/17 Remsen Stakes at Aqueduct - Catholic Boy (10/4/2/1)

12/9/17 Los Al Cash Call Futurity at Los Alamitos - McKinzie awarded win after Solomini was dq to 3rd (10/4/2/1)

12/17/17 Springboard Mile at Remington Park - Greyvitos (10/4/2/1)

1/6/18 Sham Stakes at Santa Anita - McKinzie (10/4/2/1)

1/13/18 Jerome Stakes at Aqueduct - Firenze Fire (10/4/2/1) 

1/13/18 Lecomte Stakes at the Fair Grounds - Instilled Regard (10/4/2/1)

1/15/18 Smarty Jones at Oaklawn - Mourinho (10/4/2/1)

2/3/18 Withers Stakes at Aqueduct - Avery Island (10/4/2/1)

2/3/18 Holy Bull at Gulfstream - Audible (10/4/2/1)

2/3/18 Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita - Lombo (10/4/2/1)

2/10/18 Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs - Flameaway (10/4/2/1)

2/17/18 Risen Star  at the Fair Grounds - Bravazo (50/20/10/5)

2/17/18 El Camino Real at Golden Gate Fields - Paved (10/4/2/1)

2/19/18 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn - My Boy Jack (10/4/2/1)

3/3/18 Fountain of Youth at Gulfstream - Promises Fulfilled  (50/20/10/5)

3/10/18 Tampa Bay Derby at Tampa Bay Downs - Quip (50/20/10/5)

3/10/18 Gotham at Aqueduct - Enticed (50/20/10/5)

3/10/18 San Felipe at Santa Anita - Bolt d'Oro (50/20/10/5) 

3/17/18 Rebel at Oaklawn - Magnum Moon (50/20/10/5)

3/17/18 Jeff Ruby at Turfway - Blended Citizen (20/10/4/2)

3/24/18 Louisiana Derby at the Fair Grounds - Noble Indy (100/40/20/10)

3/25/18 Sunland Derby at Sunland Park - Runaway Ghost (50/20/10/5)

3/31/18 UAE Derby at Meydan - Mendelssohn (100/40/20/10)

3/31/18 Florida Derby at Gulfstream - Audible (100/40/20/10)

4/7/18 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct - Vino Rosso (100/40/20/10)

4/7/18 Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland - Good Magic (100/40/20/10)

4/7/18 Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita - Justify (100/40/20/10)

4/14/18 Lexington Stakes at Keeneland - My Boy Jack (20/8/4/2)

4/14/18 Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn - Magnum Moon (100/40/20/10)

Final Leader Board

Futures Pool 1 (11/23-26/17)   PPs For Pool 1

Futures Pool 2 (2/9-11/18)

Futures Pool 3  (3/9-11/18)   PPs For Pool 3

Futures Pool 4 (4/6-8/18)      PPs for Pool 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought 3 tickets (lower grandstand) for one of my wife's xmas presents.  The only other time I went to the Derby was in the early 90s when Go For Gin won and it was a freaking typhoon.  I'm hoping the weather is nicer this time, because I'm still not under cover, even though we're in the grandstand.  The cost was bad enough as it is, $1600 for 3 tickets, including all fees.  It would have been double for covered seating.  Also, all the hotels are already booked in Louisville, so I got one in Frankfort.  Only about 50 miles away, not too bad.  The best airline tickets were to fly into Cincinnati.  To fly into Louisville or Lexington was about $600+ per ticket.  

While we're there we plan on touring Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, the oldest one in the country and was the only one allowed to be open during prohibition ("for medicinal purposes").  I will also tour the Woodford Reserve Distillery near Versailles (suburb of Lexington).  We're also going to do the Claiborne Farm tour, which has the cemetery where Secretariat is buried.  On Friday before the Derby we will go to Louisville for the Derby Week festivities. 

pretty damn sweet @JohnnyU  :thumbup:  - may the weather gods be with you that weekend, sounds like an awesome time will be had by all. 

PS- still on my bucket list  :kicksrock:

pretty damn sweet @JohnnyU  :thumbup:  - may the weather gods be with you that weekend, sounds like an awesome time will be had by all. 

PS- still on my bucket list  :kicksrock:
This will probably be my last opportunity to go to the derby because it is so damn expensive.  I hope to make up for that May day in 1994.  Not only was that derby a slop fest, I was in the infield bleachers, which is better than infield and no bleachers, but it sure was muddy going to and from the portapoties.. In addition to not cashing a ticket all day at that miserable derby, the bus I went over to Churchill Downs in hit another car and we had to walk a long ways in a pouring rain to get to the track.  Darn it, it's not supposed to be that way at the derby!!!   I was much younger then and could deal with that, but now that I'm much older and taking my wife and granddaughter, I thought I would pay up and get better seats (not in the infield).  It truly is a bucket list item for us as well, I just hope the weather cooperates this time and the bus shuttle to the track doesn't wreck like it did in 1994.  I think we will also enjoy the tours of Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve distillery and Claiborne Farm.  I lived in Louisville in 1994 and I used to go down by the river during derby week to the food and beer booths.  I really enjoyed that.  My boss would allow us to leave work at noon one day during derby week and enjoy the festivities  as long as we don't come back to work.  Back then I could get free beer tickets from the Tandem Vendors because of their association with the company I worked for.  While in Louisville this time I think I'll go to the Brown Hotel and enjoy a Ky Hot Brown (google it if you don't know what that is ;)  ) and perhaps go to Indie's to enjoy some of their great spicy fried chicken.

*** Jerome postponed due to frigid conditions ***

just got back from my maiden 2018 run, and it's ridiculously brutal out there. Wow  :shock:

Aqueduct cancelled a couple cards last week, along with yesterday's - that track is situated as such that the open end serves as a wind tunnel, and the blasts whipping in off Jamaica Bay are lethal, it's one of the more inhospitable venues in the country in that respect.  i've always said that the live crowd at The Big A (especially when they switch to the inner dirt) are some of the more intrepid (insane?) players in the country ... it always had a ramshackle ambiance to it, even in it's heyday - now it's a dilapidated dinosaur that barely registers a pulse, mostly sustained by the VLT crowd (the lot is dotted with buses from Chinatown).  would've been razed years ago if that Slots carrot wasn't dangled. 

oh, did i mention that i love the jernt?  :D   opening day in October is always a must attend event on my calendar - if the terlits aren't backed up by the third race, it's a definite win ... but, yeah - nothing compares to the sagacity and elbows and dedication of the Big A's railbirds.

ETA: Happy New Year to all!

Aqueduct cancelled a couple cards last week, along with yesterday's - that track is situated as such that the open end serves as a wind tunnel, and the blasts whipping in off Jamaica Bay are lethal, it's one of the more inhospitable venues in the country in that respect.  i've always said that the live crowd at The Big A (especially when they switch to the inner dirt) are some of the more intrepid (insane?) players in the country ... it always had a ramshackle ambiance to it, even in it's heyday - now it's a dilapidated dinosaur that barely registers a pulse, mostly sustained by the VLT crowd (the lot is dotted with buses from Chinatown).  would've been razed years ago if that Slots carrot wasn't dangled. 
Aaaah - the A Train to the Big A to freeze my big A off. Wasnt even a transfer for me when i lived on Thompson St. Sometimes you just had to do the clubhouse - tho it was never my choice - cuz it was soooo frikkin cold. I remember always looking at the Wise Guys tables, cuz you knew if they were excited that a cement path had opened somewhere on the inner. Otherwise, it was 8000 guys who all needed lung donors....

Black f'n dot. OTBLifer always doing the Lord's work in this thread. Happy New Year, GB! 
back 'atcha, EG - think you cashed a Lookin' at Lee tri last year, no?   :hifive:

Aaaah - the A Train to the Big A to freeze my big A off. Wasnt even a transfer for me when i lived on Thompson St. Sometimes you just had to do the clubhouse - tho it was never my choice - cuz it was soooo frikkin cold. I remember always looking at the Wise Guys tables, cuz you knew if they were excited that a cement path had opened somewhere on the inner. Otherwise, it was 8000 guys who all needed lung donors....
Conduit Ave. stop is currently a half mile stretch of some choppy ### ice - more apt for pucks than ponies  :deadhorse:

the wiseguys now camp in the "Racino" section of the sprawl   :moneybag:

Sham Stakes (10-4-2-1) out at Santa Anita today - with the Jerome postponed 'til next Saturday, this becomes the first prep of the year.

Baffert trained McKinzie is 3/5 ml favorite, in a race that features plenty of early speed, which should play right into his liking. My Boy Jack (Desormeaux bros.) and Shiver Me Timbers (Hollendorfer) are two with speed/route cred, with the latter posing a very legit threat ... rest are stretching out for the first time (City Plan has previously stretched, but seems outclassed here).

another Baffert trainee, Mourinho, comes in off of a second place (90 BSF) finish behind Greyvitos in the Gr. III Bob Hope.

one i'm keeping my eye on is All Out Blitz - his speed is increasing with every race, and his last work was fantastic, coming in here with momentum, would love to see him crash this baby.   

Formulator PPs Here

McKinzie sheds the blinkers for a paid workout in The Sham - my boy All Out Blitz (14/1, hung on for second)) set the pace, with the 1/5 favorite rating nicely through some tepid fractions .... this one was really never in doubt, though - ya just knew that extra gear was waiting to be popped.  the victory makes McKinzie the first two time winner of this year's crop - though his win in the Los Al Cash Call was granted after Solomini was DQed to third after some rough stuff in the stretch.

hang on to the end of the vid, very cool to see Laffit handing out the trophy in the winner's circle  :thumbup:

catching up to last Saturday's Mucho Macho Man down at Gulfstream - though no Derby points were at stake, the race is noted for the presence of two Churchill hopefuls in Mask (out of Tapit - the 7/5 favorite) and Dak Attack (Ghostzapper - 2/1).

the favorite had his way from the start, through some 'meh' fractions - Dak hung for a bit, pinned at the half, faded in the stretch - Mask gets the hand ride home from Javi, looking fresh as all hell while crossing the line comfortably - the Chad Brown trainee now looks to jump into the points game as the trail heats up with the Lecomte (Fair Grounds) and Jerome (Aqueduct) coming up this weekend. 

today features two Gr.III races doling out 10/4/2/1 on the trail - The Lecomte at the Fair Grounds, and The Jerome at Aqueduct.

they're going a mile in the Jerome, and Firenze Fire is the 3/5 ml favorite in this field of seven.  great spot for this one to bounce back from a horrendous seventh in the Juvey, after getting on the map with his score in the Champagne (races linked up in first post).  been some lean times for our coast lately as far as the Derby's concerned ... perhaps this colt can start building a foundation today that will lead to more Eastern money being lit on fire come the first Saturday in May.   we are expecting some balmier weather up here (race was postponed due to an Arctic spell we endured earlier this month), but some wind and rain may be present come post time ... a couple here do have chops in the slop (most notable the Pletcher trained #1 horse Coltandmississippi) , but nothing noteworthy enough to warrant a jump off the chalk, imo.  looks like the Paco Lopez/Romans #2 Seven Trumpets will be the main threat, but this is his first time stretching out.  

Formulator PPs  Here

a very robust field of fourteen will be going 1m70 down in Louisiana, with the Hollendorfer shipper #10 Instilled Regard as the horse i'm looking at here - last time out he dueled in the stretch with Sham winner McKinzie and hard luck Solomini in the Los Al Cash Call - already has a two turn route win to his credit, and bagged a 92 BSF in the Cash Call.  second choice 4/1 on the ml, and a horse i think makes a big step forward today.

in lieu of PPs i couldn't track, here's a look from Brisnet, and in depth vid analysis from DRF's Illman & Bernier

Firenze Fire digs deep to take down a very sloppy Jerome

watching a few races prior to this it was quite clear that the track was in as #### a shape as i've seen in awhile - the rain up here stopped roughly 12 hours prior to Jerome post time, but the surface had the consistency of pudding - winners were coming down the middle of the track, with harness like fractions being set - and the Jerome followed suit.

an off the pace runner like FF was put to a very tough task, having to rally from last on a surface that was unforgiving to closers for the great majority of the day.  wasn't much here for the favorite to beat (his class won out), but the work and effort turned out to be muchmuch more than the connections bargained for.  credit for the moxy to get up, but this race is the type that can take an awful lot out of a horse. 

factor in also that he is currently two weeks behind schedule due to this race being postponed - logical progression would be Withers/Gotham/Wood going forward - but that Withers race is now only three weeks away (2/3), instead of the five week layoff had the Jerome been run on sched.  now, if he goes in that one i'll bang my bet against him against 'til my knuckles bleed, but seems more likely we don't see him again 'til March with the Gotham. 

meanwhile, down in Louisiana, Instilled Regard ran the race i fully expected him to - winning the Lecomte handily.  note that he was carrying six (116 to 122) lb. lighter than most of the field ... had himself a dream trip -rated beautifully off some tepid fractions, made a move at the 1/2, inhaled them at 3/4, and came home with authority - this is a big boy out there, and he lugged just a bit in the stretch, but otherwise looked as smooth and fresh as a morning work, in hand from Javi as he crossed clear by three.  coupled with his showing in Los Al, this is beginning to look like a serious contender going forward.  will be very interesting to see where Hollendorfer places him next ... he's got a real nice one here. 

up next is tomorrow's Smarty Jones down at Oaklawn - Baffert trained Mourinho was yanked from last week's Sham and pointed here ... we all know how Baffert loves him some Oaklawn, and this one is the 3/2 ml favorite going in.   will get PPs as soon as i can scrounge 'em.

otb_lifer said:
Firenze Fire digs deep to take down a very sloppy Jerome
wOw - 1:16.72 6f break (and they're still on the outer track?) - those are Suffolk bottom claimer @ low tide #s. i'd expect some bounce from that, but a strong run indeed

field of seven down in Oaklawn today for the (10/4/2/1) Smarty Jones - heavy hitters in town with some promising colts, as Baffert/Asmussen/Pletcher saddle up more than half the field (SA has two entries).  looking at the top three coming in:  #6 Navistar - he's been working the best of the lot, but is jumping up in class -  #1 Combatant was last seen in the Remington Springboard Mile chasing Greyvitos ... same for #4 Mourinho in the Bob Hope.  Mourinho will put the blinkers back on for today's stretch out - speediest of this bunch - dunno if he wants the distance, but we know Baffert doesn't ship to Arkansas just to wind his watch ... of note is his victory over Instilled Regard back in their maiden (6f) at Santa Anita in September.  

currently leaning to #6 Navistar

Formulator PPs - Here 

Mourinho makes it look reeeeal easy, wiring 'em in the Smarty Jones   :thumbup:   

Pletcher scratched top threat Navistar, so this was whittled to a field of six - but the Baffert trained 3/5 favorite passed his first two turn route test with plenty to spare - interesting that with all of Baffert's success down here that this was his first Smarty Jones score (this was the 11th running), with Mourinho clocking the second fastest ever run.  the son of Super Saver was never really asked, coming home in hand -  bags ten points on the Derby trail for his stellar effort.

three points races (10/4/2/1) coming up tomorrow - most notably Firenze Fire, coming back from a grueling Jerome on three weeks rest, to lead a field of six in the Withers at Aqueduct ... PPs for all nominated Here - the other five racing tomorrow will be Avery Island/Bal Harbour/California Night/Coltandmississippi/Marconi - said i would heavily bet against FF if he was placed here, and it looks like Bal Harbour is poised to make a run in this spot.  of further note, this will be the first Withers run at 9f, so we get a real test for this lot tomorrow.

next up is a wide open Holy Bull down at Gulfstream ... Kentucky Jockey Gold Cup winner Enticed installed as tepid 3/1 ml favorite, and will be challenged again by Tiz Mischief, who has been working lights out recently, and coming into this one in great shape. another one i'm keeping an eye on is the Javi/Pletcher #4 Audible - a definite step up in class for him, but has the speed to make a legit run at this one.  Formulator PPs Here.

finally, out at Santa Anita, we have the Robert B. Lewis ... not very familiar with this lot, as a field of nine hits the gate - here's a look from ABR, and some of the field's PPs Here  

here's a look at how the sires stack up this year, via their Futures wagering - pool was only open for Thanksgiving weekend, but pretty intriguing stuff, nonetheless ...

M/L & Stats

Final Wagers

btw, will cost a cool quarter million to treat your filly to a romp with Medaglio D'Oro or War Front  

:deadhorse:

Holy Bull pps contained an aniscule w my kind of early form & breeding - one Mississippi - for a longshot future bet but cant find higher than 75-1, too low for a nw2 in Feb

ETA: weird move on Firenze Fire, back in 3 wks off that 145 mile

Holy Bull pps contained an aniscule w my kind of early form & breeding - one Mississippi - for a longshot future bet but cant find higher than 75-1, too low for a nw2 in Feb
too bad he drew that 11 hole today - starting from the outside post in these Gulfstream prep affairs is a kiss of death, unless one is Barbaro or Big Brown (both from 12 hole, iirc).  he is definitely coming in with heat, though ... improving from a 98 in December to an even C-note his last time out - Leparoux gonna have to hustle him outta there, as that first turn comes quick, and he's got early speed to his inside from the #10. 

ETA: weird move on Firenze Fire, back in 3 wks off that 145 mile
tough spot, he was so pressured to get up in that Jerome slop - he has enough seasoning (7 career starts) to have sat this one out, methinks (none of the West Coast biggies are going today in the Lewis, e.g.) - especially with the Gotham/Wood hurdles still to clear.  he may indeed be this year's "Great Right (coast) Hope" but, as i mentioned after the Jerome, he's not worth touching today - small field be damned, he's got too much working against him.  would need much better odds than the even money to consider it.  i will be backing Bal Harbour - ftw

simple as fo' fo' fo' yesterday ... three easy wins for the three #4 horses - in the order they were run:

impressive 2018 debut from Avery Island in taking down The Withers - rated off the early speed, and was totally in control once he made his move ... this is one big colt, similar to Instilled Regard  - can make a ton of ground up with his huge strides - outta Street Sense, with distance chops on the dam side - was bet down to even money, and the McLaughlin trainee lived up to the hype ... Firenze Fire was laid off to third choice in the pool, and lugged in with a respectable enough second - will toss this one going forward with him, but, make no mistake, the winner here solidly staked his claim as the one to watch as we head towards the Gotham (3/10).

a much deeper and challenging field awaited Audible down at Gulfstream, but he kicked clear in the stretch to snag The Holy Bull by a very comfortable five lengths, one of the best efforts of the early season thus far ... this was the race i anticipated him sitting on, and Javi had him in hand as they crossed with plenty to spare. sat off the early speed, was cruising with authority the whole way.  Free Drop Billy/Enticed/Tiz Mischief were left in the wake, and will have work to do if they plan on lining up with this colt again in next month's Fountain of Youth (3/3).  

finally, out at Santa Anita, 8/1 shot Lombo took them wire to wire in The Robert B. Lewis - this was a pretty uninspiring field, but the winner passed his first two turn route test easily enough.  i liked how the Desormeaux bros. #1 Ayacara closed, as he sat distantly off the lead pack for a great deal of the way.  The San Felipe is up next out west (3/10), and if the winner tries, he may see any combo of heavyweights Solomini/Bolt D'Oro/McKinzie/Good Magic.

all three winners bagged 10 points on the trail, with their next anticipated races all graduating up to 50.

Dropped a $50 spot on Montauk and Mckinzie at 20-1 a couple of weeks back up at Bobby V’s place

in Stamford ....Had a good day, we’ll see how this shakes out in May.

?????

simple as fo' fo' fo' yesterday ... three easy wins for the three #4 horses - in the order they were run:

impressive 2018 debut from Avery Island in taking down The Withers - rated off the early speed, and was totally in control once he made his move ... this is one big colt, similar to Instilled Regard  - can make a ton of ground up with his huge strides - outta Street Sense, with distance chops on the dam side - was bet down to even money, and the McLaughlin trainee lived up to the hype ... Firenze Fire was laid off to third choice in the pool, and lugged in with a respectable enough second - will toss this one going forward with him, but, make no mistake, the winner here solidly staked his claim as the one to watch as we head towards the Gotham (3/10).

a much deeper and challenging field awaited Audible down at Gulfstream, but he kicked clear in the stretch to snag The Holy Bull by a very comfortable five lengths, one of the best efforts of the early season thus far ... this was the race i anticipated him sitting on, and Javi had him in hand as they crossed with plenty to spare. sat off the early speed, was cruising with authority the whole way.  Free Drop Billy/Enticed/Tiz Mischief were left in the wake, and will have work to do if they plan on lining up with this colt again in next month's Fountain of Youth (3/3).  

finally, out at Santa Anita, 8/1 shot Lombo took them wire to wire in The Robert B. Lewis - this was a pretty uninspiring field, but the winner passed his first two turn route test easily enough.  i liked how the Desormeaux bros. #1 Ayacara closed, as he sat distantly off the lead pack for a great deal of the way.  The San Felipe is up next out west (3/10), and if the winner tries, he may see any combo of heavyweights Solomini/Bolt D'Oro/McKinzie/Good Magic.

all three winners bagged 10 points on the trail, with their next anticipated races all graduating up to 50.
Man, that was an impressive run from Audible. 

Man, that was an impressive run from Audible. 

final quarter under 24 after stalking the pace - just what you wanna see
:thumbup:

- he hit that spot yesterday as perfectly as Toddzilla could've hoped. 

Dropped a $50 spot on Montauk and Mckinzie at 20-1

?????
:popcorn:  

No Mississippi.........my Mississippi......where Mississippi.......?
he sure as hell would've given the #10 and #3 company up front ...let's see where they place him next - might be a good fit in next week's Sam F. Davis over in Tampa  :shrug:

Sam F. Davis today down at Tampa - notable for the 2018 debut of strong Derby contender Catholic Boy - last time out he took down The Remsen, which Avery Island just flattered with his score in the Withers.

was also his first start on dirt, clocked a 100 BSF for his maiden try on the surface.  he's been training very well down there, and this is definitely his race to lose ... i think it's the start of something big for the Thomas trainee.

if things do go awry for the favorite, it will probably be the #3 Vino Rosso - Pletcher doesn't ship here to wind his watch, and this colt has the speed to exert pressure on CB - the undefeated son of Curlin also has distance pedigree on the dam side ... he could really make a big step forward here.

PPs for all nominees

Sam F. Davis today down at Tampa - notable for the 2018 debut of strong Derby contender Catholic Boy - last time out he took down The Remsen, which Avery Island just flattered with his score in the Withers.

was also his first start on dirt, clocked a 100 BSF for his maiden try on the surface.  he's been training very well down there, and this is definitely his race to lose ... i think it's the start of something big for the Thomas trainee.

if things do go awry for the favorite, it will probably be the #3 Vino Rosso - Pletcher doesn't ship here to wind his watch, and this colt has the speed to exert pressure on CB - the undefeated son of Curlin also has distance pedigree on the dam side ... he could really make a big step forward here.

PPs for all nominees
Catholic Boy does look awful good in this spot, hard to find fault with him the way he took to the dirt. This will be his first race as the favorite, I have a feeling it won't be his last.

Catholic Boy does look awful good in this spot, hard to find fault with him the way he took to the dirt. This will be his first race as the favorite, I have a feeling it won't be his last.
:thumbup:

if he runs his race, 8/5 is generous - will be banged down deeper than that, though. 

taking another look here, it seems like Hollywood Star can factor (along with the aforementioned Vino Rosso) - crapped out in the Juvey, so he's been in with class already, the spot won't overwhelm him - his last 2 works were legit poppers. 

10/1 shot Flameaway upsets the Davis - second fastest in history, right behind McCracken's effort last year.

Catholic Boy (3/5) rated mid pack, and made his 3 wide move around the 3/4 mark ... hooked up with the winner in the stretch, locked into a very fierce battle - a nose in front for a few strides - but couldn't get by, as Flameaway dug very deep to turn the favorite back - a good ol' fashioned dingdong battle  ... Vino Rosso got show dough, after looking like he dropped the hell out - another furlong and he may have wiped 'em. 

anyway, fantastic outing for this colt - his speed pretty much wired 'em - and gotta love how he turned back the favorite ... replay up as soon as i get it. 

ETA: props to TrackMaster for calling this one  :thumbup:

#2 Flameaway

10-1

(Long Shot Play) Win percentage under similar conditions may be the key for this colt. Has good, early speed.

Kanthaka (sp) looked great at 11-1. Got a dream trip though.

Overcame trouble to win last time out. 

I'll be keeping an eye on him

Last time I count on a Catholic boy to come through. 

Fool me twice, shame on me.

10/1 shot Flameaway upsets the Davis - second fastest in history, right behind McCracken's effort last year.

Catholic Boy (3/5) rated mid pack, and made his 3 wide move around the 3/4 mark ... hooked up with the winner in the stretch, locked into a very fierce battle - a nose in front for a few strides - but couldn't get by, as Flameaway dug very deep to turn the favorite back - a good ol' fashioned dingdong battle  ... Vino Rosso got show dough, after looking like he dropped the hell out - another furlong and he may have wiped 'em. 

anyway, fantastic outing for this colt - his speed pretty much wired 'em - and gotta love how he turned back the favorite ... replay up as soon as i get it. 

ETA: props to TrackMaster for calling this one  :thumbup:

#2 Flameaway

10-1

(Long Shot Play) Win percentage under similar conditions may be the key for this colt. Has good, early speed.
Link from KD Homepage

Watching that race, it felt to me like Catholic Boy has another gear that Flameaway doesn't, but for whatever reason, he either can't sustain it or didn't want to get by. Almost like he was teasing it and then letting off the pedal. 

I also agree at the Derby distance that Vino Rosso would have left them both several lengths back. Keeping an eye on him going forward, he could present "Looking at Lee" value this year.. 

digging a bit deeper into the upset winner from Saturday ...

a look at Flameaway's win in last October's Dixiana Bourbon - this was a BC Juvey Turf qualifier, moved off the green due to the conditions 

another great duel in the stretch - he was three wide before hooking up with the two leaders - got that nose up - we got a fighter here, and obviously has the slop chops  :thumbup:

he did run in the BC Juvey Turf, and was up front most of the way before fading in the stretch to finish 8th (Catholic Boy also up in here)

followed that up with a score in his 2018 debut in Gulfstream's Kitten's Joy ... another stretch battle won  :yes:

here's his first start on dirt (maiden outing was synth at Woodbine) - coming off  the pace to win The Skidmore up at the Spa

out of Scat Daddy/Vulcan Rose (Fusaichi Pegasus) - shaping up as a fun one to keep an eye on - 

Dropped a $50 spot on Montauk and Mckinzie at 20-1 a couple of weeks back up at Bobby V’s place

in Stamford ....Had a good day, we’ll see how this shakes out in May.

?????
And bye bye Montauk...?

Throat ailment knocks out the exciting Montauk from competing in the Kentucky Derby..

This made me sad.???

Go McKinzie ?

we get our first 50 point race today, as Instilled Regard (8/5) leads a field of 10 in the Gr.II Risen Star down at the Fair Grounds.

last time here we saw the favorite cruise in The Lecomte - Hollendorfer's big boy was clear by 3+ lengths at the line. prior to that he was dueling in the stretch with heavy hitters McKinzie and Solomini in last December's Los Al Cash Call (note that Solomini was dq to third).  a deserving favorite, has done all they've asked, and no reason not to expect him to take a huge step up the leader board ... 

deeper field, talent wise, than the Lecomte - a few returnees (Principe Guilherme/Snapper Sinclair/Ebben), and a trio of interesting new shooters in the #2 Noble Indy, #6 Supreme Aura, #7 Bravazo - looking like the #2 will set the early pace, can see the #6 up in that mix, as well ... #7 laying off the early speed.  big step up in class for the first two, but i'm liking the puncher's chance of the #6 - if he handles the first time stretch out i think he can factor in to the stretch. outta Candy Ride, who does have the incomparable Gun Runner out there ruling the sport. has been working well leading up to this spot, if the favorite takes a step back, i'd expect this cat to be in mix as they hit the wire.

a gate at Churchill is all but guaranteed for the winner.

Ultimate PPs Here

we get the El Camino Real at GG Fields later on, as a field of nine vie for the penultimate 10/4/2/1 dole out (Monday's Southwest will be the last) ...  will  be run on the synth (Tapeta), and features a jump up in class, as well as first start off the turf, for the #1 Paved - a Filly outta Quality Road, may have the speed to factor - wish she was working better - will face the winner of January's California Derby (run over this track) in the m/l favorite #4 Choo Choo - note in that race that today's #9 Mugaritz (#2 in the Cal Derby) making a nice run once he bounced out to the clear ... generous odds (10/1) this afternoon for a horse who has been working lights out leading up to this one  :thumbup:    

Ultimate PPs Here

ETA:  if PP links are not working, go here ... go to today's date, find Noble Indy, and select "Ultimate PPs" to get the Risen Star.

do likewise here with Blended Citizen for El Camino Real

Users who are viewing this thread