What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (1 Viewer)

ICON211 said:
I think I like this:

Jordy Nelson - WR - Free Agent

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jordy Nelson is expected to sign with the Raiders.

Nelson is still in Oakland after visiting with the Raiders on Wednesday, and a source told Schefter, "This is going to get done." Nelson is clearly on the back nine of his career, but he would be a solid red-zone option for Derek Carr. If Nelson does end up in Oakland, the Raiders are expected to move on from Michael Crabtree.
More recent reports say this might not be such a done deal with the Saints and Seahawks making a push for him.

I think Jordy hit the cliff, so I'm fine if we lose out on him.

So do we think the Doug Martin signing spells the end for Lynch or can they co-exist? I think the former.

More recent reports say this might not be such a done deal with the Saints and Seahawks making a push for him.

So do we think the Doug Martin signing spells the end for Lynch or can they co-exist? I think the former.
Like you, Nelson probably does not add much but the WR corp is thin so help is needed from somewhere. 

Doug Martin seems like a strange signing.  I am not a fan of Lynch but prefer him since he is such a punishing runner. 

Think the report about the Jordy thing not being a done deal was from Rapoport and he just makes stuff up so we'll see.  That guy is the absolute worst.

Crabtree released.  Would think that would mean Jordy is in.

Michael Crabtree - WR - Free Agent

Raiders released WR Michael Crabtree.

The move saves the Raiders a tad over $7.7 million against the cap. Most of that will likely go to Jordy Nelson, who is not only older than Crabtree, but also looked more out of gas in 2017. However, GM Reggie McKenzie and new WRs coach Edgar Bennett know Nelson from Green Bay. And that trumps all in the "football guys" world. Crabtree is an elite red-zone force and has vise-grip mitts, even if he had a small bout of drops late last season. Crabtree turns 31 this year but is a tremendous route-runner and should quickly land on his feet.

James Jones

Verified account

@89JonesNTAF
Follow Follow @89JonesNTAF
More
Breaking News: Jordy Nelson to the @RAIDERS on a Two-Year Deal....15M, 13M Guaranteed

James Jones

Verified account

@89JonesNTAF
More
Breaking News: Jordy Nelson to the @RAIDERS on a Two-Year Deal....15M, 13M Guaranteed
Big surprise, Rapoport had no idea what he was talking about when he said it wasn't done.

James Jones

Verified account

@89JonesNTAF
More
Money that should be spent on defense IMO. 

So they are paying about the same money as they were paying Crabtree, only they are getting a WR that is 2 years older and likely a step slower.  :thumbup:

Yah not a fan of Nelson for Crabtree...on the field and money wise it makes no sense. Jordy Nelson better be Nelson Mandela in the locker room or it's a wasted move.

Ditto Doug Martin. Tons of other RBs I'd rather take a chance on over a non-roided Martin.

Frankly, I don't like the way this free agency period has started. I'm okay with the lack of signing the big early names. But possibly broken down Jordy for Crabtree w/o even trying to trade Crab's very nice below market contract was weird. Reeks of locker room drama last year, which is no good, b/c it appears to have been racial/political and last I checked DCarr is still on the team and so are a bunch of dudes who don't like his political beliefs. Crab was perhaps a message of a new sherriff in town, but I don't like what it all implies.

I'd like to see us sign Honey Badger. Elite player meets extreme need. Say no to damnkong and the overrated Jets/Seachicken DT. Draft 100% defense. Every single pick. I want DTs and CBs. Vanderdidnt and Jihad need some roster competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah not a fan of Nelson for Crabtree...on the field and money wise it makes no sense. Jordy Nelson better be Nelson Mandela in the locker room or it's a wasted move.

Ditto Doug Martin. Tons of other RBs I'd rather take a chance on over a non-roided Martin.
Love the Nelson move, hate the Martin move (if it's at the expense of Lynch). Nelson is the type of receiver that can make any QB better and Carr will love him. 33 TDs last 3 years. He's money in the red zone which Carr will love too. I like Crabtree but I like Nelson more.

Martin has averaged 2.9 YPC last two years. If this means Lynch is out of a job, I think it's a bad move. You can argue who's better between Nelson and Crabtree. There is no argument about who's better between Lynch and Martin. I'm guessing Gruden doesn't want Lynch in the lockerroom.

Now the Raiders have three subpar running backs. Richard regressed mightily last season. He handled the ball 117 times and put it on the ground 8 of those times. Washington showed flashes but he's far from a sure thing.

Martin, Richard and Washington combined to rush for an average of 67 yards a game last season. Lynch averaged 59 yards by himself.

I think the Raiders are going to throw the ball 50 times a game as the roster stands now.

Help me out Raider fans. I think I need a little tough love. I'm hanging to both Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington, basically in the 20-24 range on the depth chart. Should I cut bait and try trading either (or both) for a 4th round dynasty pick? I really like Richard, but I get the feeling he's never going to blossom as a fantasy player.

Will answer yours.

Money that should be spent on defense IMO. 

So they are paying about the same money as they were paying Crabtree, only they are getting a WR that is 2 years older and likely a step slower.  :thumbup:
On the bright side.... Nelson doesn't drop the ball and is a better locker room presence. 

Frankly, I don't like the way this free agency period has started. I'm okay with the lack of signing the big early names. But possibly broken down Jordy for Crabtree w/o even trying to trade Crab's very nice below market contract was weird. Reeks of locker room drama last year, which is no good, b/c it appears to have been racial/political and last I checked DCarr is still on the team and so are a bunch of dudes who don't like his political beliefs. Crab was perhaps a message of a new sherriff in town, but I don't like what it all implies.

I'd like to see us sign Honey Badger. Elite player meets extreme need. Say no to damnkong and the overrated Jets/Seachicken DT. Draft 100% defense. Every single pick. I want DTs and CBs. Vanderdidnt and Jihad need some roster competition.
Your points related to Crabtree are not wrong, but his downside is worse than you are taking into consideration.  Every team he has left has basically had the same message, "GTFO of here".  It was already reported Carr and Crabtree were not even on speaking terms during last season.  The icing on the cake was the Denver rematch, which Crabtree clearly thought was about him and had zero regard for his paycheck or his own team winning that game.

Good riddance.  I love the Nelson signing; perfect mentor for Cooper.

I am not sure how much of the Crabtree rumors to believe. I saw the Carr tweeted him a very nice farewell message. Why bother if they were on the outs? On the other hand, I will not miss the drops and jewelry. Hopefully Jordy still has gas in the tank and stays healthy.

Who is Marcus Gilchrist?

He was drafted by the Chargers in the 2nd rd of the 2011 draft out of Clemson. The 5-foot-10, 198-pounder and former second-round pick played significant defensive snaps (100+) at free safety, strong safety, slot cornerback and linebacker with HOU in 2017.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
2011 23 SDG cb/lcb/rcb 38 14 4 2 22 0 21 4 0 0 1 40 0 27 7 2
2012 24 SDG cb/dt 38 16 4 0 0 0 0 2 1.0 48 11 2
2013 25 SDG cb/SS 38 16 16 2 43 0 26 5 1 0 1 0 0 1.0 59 18 6
2014 26 SDG SS 38 16 16 1 4 0 4 5 2 0 0 0 0 1.0 59 17 6
2015 27 NYJ FS/ss 21 16 16 3 31 0 31 7 60 22 7
2016 28 NYJ FS 21 13 13 2 25 0 25 3 1 0 0 0 0 38 15 5
2017 29 HOU SS 21 16 13 1 17 0 17 6 1 0 0 0 0 1.0 45 11 4

Gilchrist appears as the 51 ranked safety in Pro Football Focus. For comparison they rank Reggie Nelson at #55. His grades show him as a big upgrade over Nelson in coverage. His contract has been reported a s a 1 year prove it contract. In sum, they got an "upgrade" at the position with a player who should be very motivated, at a cheaper price.

Not sexy but it appears the defensive backfield got a little more competitive. 

Who is Tahir Whitehead?

He was drafted in 2012 by the Lions in the 5th round. He started 31 games last two seasons with the Lions.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
2012 22 DET 59 14 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
2013 23 DET 59 16 0 1 0 0 0 0 7 2 1
2014 24 DET lb/MLB 59 16 15 2 2 0 2 5 70 21 8
2015 25 DET LB 59 16 9 1 26 0 26 6 0 0 1 0 0 2 36 11 4
2016 26 DET lb/MLB 59 15 15 0 0 0 0 6 99 33 7
2017 27 DET LB 59 16 16 1 18 0 18 2 0 0 4 9 0 1 78 32 8

He's 6-2, 241 pounds. Six-year veteran, he will be 28 at the start of the 2018 season. Has played all three LB spots.

Another signing that isn't sexy but brings competition to a position of need. 

I am not sure how much of the Crabtree rumors to believe. I saw the Carr tweeted him a very nice farewell message. Why bother if they were on the outs? On the other hand, I will not miss the drops and jewelry. Hopefully Jordy still has gas in the tank and stays healthy.
Why didn't they trade him for a seventh round pick instead of just cutting him?

Raiders are loading up on has-beens it seems, on the fantasy side of the ball...
I really hope this is not a sign that gruden is woefully behind the times. I'm hopeful, but doubtful. I've thought he was pretty much a clown all these years on espn. All that split y banana bs. :mellow: A lot of the time, it seemed like players were humoring him, rather than were enthralled by him. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about gruden.  It's not the 70's. Players will go where they're going to get paid, period. 

Perhaps he knew it would be understood by Crabs as "don't let the door hit you on your way out, homes" - and at the same time look like a mature calming presence for the locker room

I like the Nelson/Crabtree switch.
I remain cautiously optimistic about the Martin addition.
I quietly enjoy your avatar.

Perhaps he knew it would be understood by Crabs as "don't let the door hit you on your way out, homes" - and at the same time look like a mature calming presence for the locker room
Plus Carr is the type of guy to want to not be petty and go with the 'no hard feelings, best of luck' departure.

Burfict with the 4 game PED suspension, I'm hoping that's enough to get the Raiders to pass on him. I want no part of that bonehead on the Raiders.

Also signed CB Shareece Wright and LS Andrew Depaola.

Reportedly offered deal to Bowman who is testing the market for now.

An NFL coach who helped guide Melvin’s development spoke Friday on the condition of anonymity. If a fit with his current team, he said, he’d advocate signing him “with zero hesitation.”

“He is everything you want as a competitor,” the coach said via text message. “Love him to death. He is an alpha dog! You guys are going to love him if you get him. Not pretty. Just grimy and gritty. I’ve never seen a guy force more incompletions in my life. Not a lot of turnovers but he forces incompletions at a very high rate.

“Great guy, too. … Grew up big time last year. He is ready to be a No. 1 guy.”

Pro Football Focus graded him as the league’s No. 17 cornerback last season. It determined that quarterbacks had a passer rating of 60.3 on throws in his direction.

Link

An NFL coach who helped guide Melvin’s development spoke Friday on the condition of anonymity. If a fit with his current team, he said, he’d advocate signing him “with zero hesitation.”

“He is everything you want as a competitor,” the coach said via text message. “Love him to death. He is an alpha dog! You guys are going to love him if you get him. Not pretty. Just grimy and gritty. I’ve never seen a guy force more incompletions in my life. Not a lot of turnovers but he forces incompletions at a very high rate.

“Great guy, too. … Grew up big time last year. He is ready to be a No. 1 guy.”

Pro Football Focus graded him as the league’s No. 17 cornerback last season. It determined that quarterbacks had a passer rating of 60.3 on throws in his direction.

Link
Boom.  

Tank Carradine reportedly signed.

Clinton McDonald visiting.

Marquette King hints at retirement and we sign P Colby Waldman.

And this nugget....

But now I look over, and Gruden is telling superfan Ahmed, in an open bar, “I met Marshawn today at the facility. He and Josh Johnson [a Texans backup and Lynch’s cousin] came in.” And when Ahmed asks Gruden the question of the moment—What’s your impression?—Gruden says, “I like him.”

Ahmed, to his eternal credit, isn’t having it.

“I like him, too,” he presses, “but what do you think?”

“We’ve got to get him in, ah, better and stronger, through the season. . . .”

“He didn’t get in shape until Week 10,” Ahmed says of last year.

“We’re not going to have that,” Gruden says. “No. I said to him: ‘I need Marshawn Lynch. I don’t need this part-time Lynch. I need full-timeLynch.”

“Man, you’re motivating me right now, baby! If he ain’t getting motivated, something’s wrong.”

“We need the real deal,” Gruden says. “If you’re going to put those letters on the back of your jersey, man, you’ve got to back it up, Marshawn—right? We don’t need another back, we need a feature back.”

FWIW, I think Martin was a good depth signing and a motivator chip for Lynch -- Martin seemed to never get out of the doghouse in TB and I don't think he's washed up. Change of scenery may be great for him. While I love what White Lightning has done for the league, Jordy vs Crabree is a wash at best -- I'm banking on the fact that he looked cruddy given that he was working with Hundley this past year, so hoping for a resurgence but not betting on it. At least his hands are not in question. I really like the Melvin signing to give us a starting backfielder. I think we're taking a chance on Carradine as he's never played a full season, but like the fact that he has experience at multiple defensive positions (DT, DE, and LB) which gives us added rotational flexibility.

While none of these are big ticket, high impact signings, Reggie & Co. look to be signing serviceable depth at key positions (CB, LB, DT) at cap-friendly rates. And this is exactly what this team needs in terms of having near-zero depth at these positions. These guys won't win us championships on their own, but building a team that can keep us in games, rotate to scheme, and contribute in game situations is light years ahead of where we were last year, and historically.

Keep the cap space to sign guys like Bowman (and Mack next year) who can be impact players, let's get us a bona-fide blue chip defensive player in the first a la Mack (not saying the guy we draft there will be all-world like Mack, but gives us a good shot to get one of the better if not best BPAs at a defensive position) and a guy who can start Day 1, and continue to build depth through the rest of the draft.

I can't say I am sitting on the edge of my seat with excitement based on the guys we've signed or are looking at in FA, but I absolutely believe in total our team got way stronger in terms of depth and flexibility, without putting us behind the 8-ball cap-wise.

Still trusting Reggie's process here.

Going off of @Stompin' Tom Connors thoughts. The thing I like about the moves is filling needs so when the draft comes there is no reaching out of pure need. 

I really like the Melvin and Whitehead moves. I think Gilchrist is a good signing as well. Tank and Martin are high upside vs low cost/risk moves. We got some ground game moves in keeping Lee Smith and a guy like Keith Smith.

I think with Nelson it was about him bringing the route running and hands to the table. I'm not sure it is a plus or minus over Crabtree, whom I like and even though he was clutch he just dropped too many balls.

Fantasy wise, our running game will be something to avoid but i think Gruden has something in mind for each piece and they want to establish the running game for sure. 

It hasnt been sexy but let's be honest.... how many of the sexy FA signings this time of year end up being Coyote Ugly come the fall? Reggie wont win Madden but he comes frrom the disciplined old school GB approach. And that approach is how you build consistent winners in this league versus winning the off season (which there are no rings or trophies handed out for).

Update: CB Shareece Wright has not been officially announced... perhaps that was bad info?::: Update to the update::: Apparently he announced he was joining us on his twitter. Unsure why it still has not been officially announced by the team.

LB Kyle Wilbur signed. 

Emmanuel Lamur is a potentional signing. 

Lots of talk about Irvin being moved to primarily the DE position.

Would be really interested in a Grant contract.

I think Gruden is planning on running the ball.  That Denver game, when we ran it down their throat, that's the blueprint.  

I think Gruden is planning on running the ball.  That Denver game, when we ran it down their throat, that's the blueprint.  
Oh hell yea. I forgotto add Carrier to the ground game build. Lee Smith and Carrier are blocking TE's and then Keith Smith for a blocking FB. Keeping Lynch and adding Martin. Along with Richard and Washington and our O-line. Gruden wants to take advsntage of the league going light and fast to stop air attacks and ram it down their throats. You have a base nickel D? Thats nice. Here is a double TE with a FB lineup that you have to still respect Carr throwing to weapons in the air. Enjoy.

massraider said:

isnt grant a WR ?

Users who are viewing this thread