What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (2 Viewers)

Solid move for both sides -- frees cap space, gives Lynch a little more love (despite his aloofness, he was a top 15 back in yardage on a much lower # of carries as he barely cracked 200) to hopefully motivate him to be the battering ram we need him to be. 

While I won't get down on the opportunity cost of missing out on Suh, if he does go to the Rams, really looks like they are the team to beat next year. Eagles deserve their props, but man that Rams team is shaping up to be scary.
My money is on the vikings as the team to beat. I'm not that impressed with the Rams. They have a good defense but I have to wait and see if the offense will repeat last season.

My money is on the vikings as the team to beat. I'm not that impressed with the Rams. They have a good defense but I have to wait and see if the offense will repeat last season.
I havenot heard them even brought up. Seems the teams in the running are the Titans, Saints and Rams.

Solid move for both sides -- frees cap space, gives Lynch a little more love (despite his aloofness, he was a top 15 back in yardage on a much lower # of carries as he barely cracked 200) to hopefully motivate him to be the battering ram we need him to be. 

While I won't get down on the opportunity cost of missing out on Suh, if he does go to the Rams, really looks like they are the team to beat next year. Eagles deserve their props, but man that Rams team is shaping up to be scary.
Vikings are going to add Cousins and Dalvin Cook to the same team.  

NFC maybe has 3 teams better than anyone in AFC.  

I didn't like the Lynch move.  We increased his job security, why do that?  Make his show up in shape, and prove himself hungry and a good teammate all summer.  I'm not super concerned about Lynch really, but I don't see any benefit to the team.  500K in cap space? Can get that from anyone on the team.  Having said all that, I think Lynch could have a big year on the ground.  He was really strong down the stretch, I didn't notice really.  If he needed time to get his sea legs, so to speak, and we get 2nd half Marshawn from September, that might be great.

Seems unlikely we take a back in top 3 rounds, not with the top 4 we have.  

What is pretty clear is Reggie values big, strong men in the trenches and CBs with length. Every draft you will hear him say player X is "country strong." We see evidence of this in their pursuit of DBs. Reggie prefers taller CBs with long arms. Conley is a taller CB, as was Hyden. Rashaan Melvin is a very tall CB. So if history is our guide it is not likely they draft Ward. Likely, R. Smith may not be a consideration because of his size. My guess is the guys  in play are Vea, D. James, and Edmunds IMO. (I am assuming Fitzpatrick and Chubb will be long gone by their pick)
I keep thinking about this. You right, you right.  Landry, Hurst and Ward, don't fit the mold.  

What makes me wonder is the Raiders taking Cooper over Leo Williams back in the day, that pick always surprised me.  I figure, they were just sticking to their board, they had Cooper ranked over Williams.  

They might throw a slight curveball, and take BPA at 10.  Who that is, I dunno. 

I keep thinking about this. You right, you right.  Landry, Hurst and Ward, don't fit the mold.  

What makes me wonder is the Raiders taking Cooper over Leo Williams back in the day, that pick always surprised me.  I figure, they were just sticking to their board, they had Cooper ranked over Williams.  

They might throw a slight curveball, and take BPA at 10.  Who that is, I dunno. 
I think you're right. If it is a pick that seems out of the norm for Reggie, then we'll know Gruden probably had a lot of pull in the draft room as well. My gut tells me it'll come down to one of these three: Edmunds, Derwin and Jaire Alexander jumps out at me as a CB that fits Reggie's measurables.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is taking so long locking in Navorro Bowman?  

I mean, I know there are a few tender periods for UFAs in April and May, and the absolute deadline is (I believe) late July, but I can't think of a good reason why there shouldn't be a big fire under Reggie's ### to get this done ASAP. Regardless of who we draft, Bowman needs to be a feature in our defensive unit this year.

Impatient but worried over here.

The revolving door at RT continues... They just signed  journeyman OL Giacomini.

Sorry, no link. See Raiders.com

The revolving door at RT continues... They just signed  journeyman OL Giacomini.

Sorry, no link. See Raiders.com
Raiders signed OT Breno Giacomini, formerly of the Texans.

Giacomini, 32, was abysmal as the Texans' starting right tackle last year, grading out 83rd among 83 qualified tackles at Pro Football Focus and allowing nine sacks, second most in the NFL. PFF charged Giacomini with 64 QB hurries allowed, most in the league by any offensive lineman by a margin of 15 hurries. The Raiders continue to make head- :confused: scratching moves on new coach Jon Gruden's watch.

Giacomini, 32, was abysmal as the Texans' starting right tackle last year, grading out 83rd among 83 qualified tackles at Pro Football Focus and allowing nine sacks, second most in the NFL. PFF charged Giacomini with 64 QB hurries allowed, most in the league by any offensive lineman by a margin of 15 hurries. The Raiders continue to make head- :confused: scratching moves on new coach Jon Gruden's watch.
RT has been an issue for years. Maybe he's a depth signing and they're hoping Alexander or Sharpe can lock down the position. I dunno? It is a head scratcher for sure.

RT has been an issue for years. Maybe he's a depth signing and they're hoping Alexander or Sharpe can lock down the position. I dunno? It is a head scratcher for sure.
Details on contract? That tends to speak towards what their expectations are.

BustedKnuckles said:

I'm no numbers guy (simply a CPA by profession), but this doesn't feel like a promising spot in the rankings. Early candidate for Most Improved player of the year though? One could say he certainly couldn't get worse.

DocHolliday said:
Has to be depth. 
Agree, but why sign cruddy depth as opposed to raising that bar a little? Even if the point is getting another body in to compete in camp and force Sharpe or Alexander to step up, surely we could be applying that spend towards higher value than this guy. Seems like a poor use of cash in a year where cap space is meaningful.

Look, many of us here wanted Chucky. This is Chucky. He don't give a fart. He'll sign guys that others think are trash because they fit his system. Maybe this OT is a system fit in ways we, PFF and Rotoworld don't understand. Maybe he's just a camp body. Without contract numbers, that last part is hard to say.

Either way, this free agency looks headscratching at times, but I'm gonna go ahead and give Chuck the benefit of the doubt. I remember thinking, 'oh no, not Rich freaking Gannon... That guy blows. Why sign that bum?!?' Same with Lincoln Kennedy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this lowly OT is gonna be like those guys, but hopefully there are other guys in this FA class that will be. Trust. For now.

I am becoming concerned about the hire of Gruden. Not one inspiring FA signing to date. Melvin is likely their best signing, but he comes with big durability questions.

Gruden has been going around saying he "wants to throw the game back to 1998." That has never worked well for anyone.

Gruden has said he doesn't believe in analytics and would rather call plays based on his gut. I sure hope he is taking lots of probiotics. 

:unsure:

I'll be concerned when week 1 rolls around and the team comes out not properly prepared to play like many weeks last year and that will not happen.  This was an elite offense before the switch to Downing.  The defense has been a disaster for years and Norton and Del Rio are gone.  If you count Conley we are most likely getting two new first round talents with the pick this year to help the defense.  Most of us here have been whining to bring Gruden back for years.  I'm excited and not concerned at all.

I am becoming concerned about the hire of Gruden. Not one inspiring FA signing to date. Melvin is likely their best signing, but he comes with big durability questions.

Gruden has been going around saying he "wants to throw the game back to 1998." That has never worked well for anyone.

Gruden has said he doesn't believe in analytics and would rather call plays based on his gut. I sure hope he is taking lots of probiotics. 

:unsure:
im guessing that what Gruden means by going back to 1998 is he wants to get back to basic hard nosed football...train HARD...be mentally prepared every week...and do away with twitter and other distractions on and off the field...i highly doubt he means moving the game plans back decades ...he seems like a bright innovative play caller and if anything hes better at play calling this time around...ill wait and see before getting worried now

Read an interesting angle on some of these signings.   Don't have the exact comment, but the author commented that Gruden is currently building his roster of 90 for the camps.  And that he likely even hasn't had a chance to meet all the guys already on the Raiders roster.  No guarantee that any of them will see the roster come the time to get down to 53. 

Read an interesting angle on some of these signings.   Don't have the exact comment, but the author commented that Gruden is currently building his roster of 90 for the camps.  And that he likely even hasn't had a chance to meet all the guys already on the Raiders roster.  No guarantee that any of them will see the roster come the time to get down to 53. 
Good point. Grudne's been vocal about lack of contact with players now to last time he coached. Raiders can start off season workouts this wknd, 2 wks before teams with current coaches. Probably when Gruden can finally meet full team.

Chadstroma said:
Mark Davis: McKenzie to have different role under Gruden

Essentially, McKenzie's job is to do what Gruden wants and to take care of things like the cap and contracts.
As the article states, it's a much different role than McKenzie has played in the past. He has to like it as that's the parameters of his job -- I just hope he really is OK with what looks to be a truncating of role/responsibility as Reggie has won me over in terms of what he did to turn this team around, and it would be worse, not better, IMHO, if he looked for a gig elsewhere and didn't help see this team through to (hopefully) cement ourselves as a perennial contender with the talent, philosophy, and management that Reggie is indeed responsible for creating.

Vic Tafur reports we are meeting with Bowman's agent again. 

Cross your fingers.
Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the signing of one player, but seems to me a crucial signing to get done. Without Bowman, even drafting a blue-chip LB prospect, we are horribly thin at a position of desperate need -- especially given the pervasiveness (in the NFL and our division) of offenses using super athletic TEs and slot receivers out of a WCO. And of course, help stopping some quality running games.

All digits currently crossed.I don't think Bowman is the long term answer, but to me, he sure and hell seems like the best answer right now.

Good riddance.  Figured this was coming.
Not surprising at all considering he under performed to expectations. Add in the obvious focus on the running game with Lee Smith re-signed and bringing in Carrier while having Cook as the pass catching TE, it was hard to see where he would fit. 

He will get a second chance. I am suspicious that he will do better with his next team but he had his chances with us and just never lived up to what he should have done.

Chadstroma said:
Not surprising at all considering he under performed to expectations. Add in the obvious focus on the running game with Lee Smith re-signed and bringing in Carrier while having Cook as the pass catching TE, it was hard to see where he would fit. 

He will get a second chance. I am suspicious that he will do better with his next team but he had his chances with us and just never lived up to what he should have done.
I really thought he was going to be a decent starting TE.  Not sure what happened.  

What is a Gruden Grinder? New Raiders coach explains

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Oakland Raiders have signed 15 free agents since the start of the NFL's new league year March 14. They have re-signed four players, tendered all five of their exclusive-rights free agents, traded two players, flipped two of their six sixth-round draft picks into a pair of fifth-rounders and released another.

And that's not counting the moves Oakland made just before free agency began.

Truly, no team has been busier in free agency than the Raiders have been under Jon Gruden, with an assist to general manager Reggie McKenzie.

And yet ...

The biggest acquisition the Raiders have signed is receiver Jordy Nelson, who turns 33 on May 31 and is coming off a subpar season in which he caught 53 passes for 482 yards and six touchdowns.

Indeed, with the likes of running back Doug Martin, fullback Keith Smith, linebacker Tahir Whitehead, cornerback Rashaan Melvin, safety Marcus Gilchrist and offensive lineman Breno Giacomini, the Raiders have seemed to fill their roster with complementary pieces rather than centerpieces.

Yes, with Gruden Grinders.

So what, exactly, is a Gruden Grinder? I asked Gruden on Monday at the NFL owners meetings.

"I just like guys who love to play," Gruden told me. "Guys that will compete. Guys that will play for nothing. We haven't signed a lot of household names around the league, but we, I think, have brought in guys that are going to be consistent, everyday grinders, man. Guys that are going to compete their ### off and fight for inches and know what to do and set a tone.

"And I think that's important your first year, that you bring in some foundation players that can help you do that. So, yeah, I'm excited, man."

Then bring on receiver Griff Whalen, who actually signed before the new league year, tight end Derek Carrier, long-snapper Andrew DePaola, special-teams ace/linebacker Kyle Wilber, defensive end Tank Carradine, quarterback Josh Johnson, cornerback Shareece Wright and linebacker Emmanuel Lamur.

Not to mention re-signed defensive tackle Justin Ellis, tight end Lee Smith, quarterback EJ Manuel and free safety Reggie Nelson, who is very familiar with new defensive coordinator Paul Guenther from their time together in Cincinnati.

Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie's job description may have altered a bit with the arrival of Gruden, though he insists he is enjoying it.

"The one thing about Gruden, I know exactly what he wants, which is great," McKenzie said. "I know exactly what his system, with (defensive coordinator Paul) Guenther, and I know exactly the kind of players they want at each and every position. That makes my job, really, a lot easier. Instead of trying to figure out what works best."

Was that, then, a problem with Jack Del Rio?

"Well, no, no, not to say that," McKenzie said. "But the communication is constant (now) and I'm not talking with just Coach Gruden. I'm talking about the entire staff and it's well received."

Still, middle linebacker NaVorro Bowman remains unsigned -- McKenzie said the Raiders want him back -- and there is something else troubling Gruden.

This whole hurry-up-and-wait game provided by the CBA that was instituted after Gruden last coached a game in 2008 has Gruden wringing his hands, what with the no-football-talk allowed between coach and player.

At least, not until April 9.

"We're making progress," Gruden said. "I like where we are. We've got a long way to go, but it's been tough, man. I've been head coach 65 to 70 days and I haven't been able to even meet my players yet.

"It's a challenge for all the new coaches, especially. Yeah, you've got to get over it. But you know, you have to come in, you have to evaluate the players, and you're not able to really ask them, 'Hey, why'd you do that? Or, 'Hey, what happened on this play?' And you've got to make some tough decisions. It's been uncomfortable; it's been uneasy. But I'm not the only one."

Distracting myself right now watching Gruden talk to the media. It's amazing having a coach I can believe in again. Dude has intelligence and charisma. Too many coaches have one but not the other, yet both are critical for leadership. Loving his talk about not just featuring Lynch, but how to feature him. This is a dramatic coaching upgrade from last staff.

BTW, Mark Davis is the freaking man. Reggie, Chucky and a two Billie stadium. Plus Carr and Mack. Forrest for the trees. I need to get a bowl cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUMTEUlkWc&t=437s

First time I'm hearing that Penn's broken foot at the end of last year required a Lis Franc surgery. Oh. No. The only thing worse than Turf Toe is Lis Franc (in terms of players routinely coming back too early and being way less effective). Better bump OT on the draft board. Can't have just David Sharpe as the plan B.

What is a Gruden Grinder? New Raiders coach explains

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Oakland Raiders have signed 15 free agents since the start of the NFL's new league year March 14. They have re-signed four players, tendered all five of their exclusive-rights free agents, traded two players, flipped two of their six sixth-round draft picks into a pair of fifth-rounders and released another.

And that's not counting the moves Oakland made just before free agency began.

Truly, no team has been busier in free agency than the Raiders have been under Jon Gruden, with an assist to general manager Reggie McKenzie.

And yet ...

The biggest acquisition the Raiders have signed is receiver Jordy Nelson, who turns 33 on May 31 and is coming off a subpar season in which he caught 53 passes for 482 yards and six touchdowns.

Indeed, with the likes of running back Doug Martin, fullback Keith Smith, linebacker Tahir Whitehead, cornerback Rashaan Melvin, safety Marcus Gilchrist and offensive lineman Breno Giacomini, the Raiders have seemed to fill their roster with complementary pieces rather than centerpieces.

Yes, with Gruden Grinders.

So what, exactly, is a Gruden Grinder? I asked Gruden on Monday at the NFL owners meetings.

"I just like guys who love to play," Gruden told me. "Guys that will compete. Guys that will play for nothing. We haven't signed a lot of household names around the league, but we, I think, have brought in guys that are going to be consistent, everyday grinders, man. Guys that are going to compete their ### off and fight for inches and know what to do and set a tone.

"And I think that's important your first year, that you bring in some foundation players that can help you do that. So, yeah, I'm excited, man."

Then bring on receiver Griff Whalen, who actually signed before the new league year, tight end Derek Carrier, long-snapper Andrew DePaola, special-teams ace/linebacker Kyle Wilber, defensive end Tank Carradine, quarterback Josh Johnson, cornerback Shareece Wright and linebacker Emmanuel Lamur.

Not to mention re-signed defensive tackle Justin Ellis, tight end Lee Smith, quarterback EJ Manuel and free safety Reggie Nelson, who is very familiar with new defensive coordinator Paul Guenther from their time together in Cincinnati.

Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie's job description may have altered a bit with the arrival of Gruden, though he insists he is enjoying it.

"The one thing about Gruden, I know exactly what he wants, which is great," McKenzie said. "I know exactly what his system, with (defensive coordinator Paul) Guenther, and I know exactly the kind of players they want at each and every position. That makes my job, really, a lot easier. Instead of trying to figure out what works best."

Was that, then, a problem with Jack Del Rio?

"Well, no, no, not to say that," McKenzie said. "But the communication is constant (now) and I'm not talking with just Coach Gruden. I'm talking about the entire staff and it's well received."

Still, middle linebacker NaVorro Bowman remains unsigned -- McKenzie said the Raiders want him back -- and there is something else troubling Gruden.

This whole hurry-up-and-wait game provided by the CBA that was instituted after Gruden last coached a game in 2008 has Gruden wringing his hands, what with the no-football-talk allowed between coach and player.

At least, not until April 9.

"We're making progress," Gruden said. "I like where we are. We've got a long way to go, but it's been tough, man. I've been head coach 65 to 70 days and I haven't been able to even meet my players yet.

"It's a challenge for all the new coaches, especially. Yeah, you've got to get over it. But you know, you have to come in, you have to evaluate the players, and you're not able to really ask them, 'Hey, why'd you do that? Or, 'Hey, what happened on this play?' And you've got to make some tough decisions. It's been uncomfortable; it's been uneasy. But I'm not the only one."
After reading this my takeaway is Gruden is going to try and model the Raiders after the New England Patriots ...use players that arent really BIG name stars but rather work hard and want to play ....hes seen the way the pats run things while working as a broadcaster ...this insight is invaluable 

After reading this my takeaway is Gruden is going to try and model the Raiders after the New England Patriots ...use players that arent really BIG name stars but rather work hard and want to play ....hes seen the way the pats run things while working as a broadcaster ...this insight is invaluable 
Gruden was always like that though to some degree.  Hitching his wagon to Gannon is a great example.  

First time I'm hearing that Penn's broken foot at the end of last year required a Lis Franc surgery. Oh. No. The only thing worse than Turf Toe is Lis Franc (in terms of players routinely coming back too early and being way less effective). Better bump OT on the draft board. Can't have just David Sharpe as the plan B.
While something to definitely watch, with today's procedures I don't think this is as much of a concern as it once was. Le'Veon Bell had a lis franc procedure his rookie year and bounced back, as did Zach Miller, and most recently, Ameer Abdullah, who looks ready to go again this year.

Recent (2016) American Journal of Sports Medicine research around Lis Franc surgery showed that the injury did not significantly impact the length of a career, nor the level of play post-injury. 

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546516645082

What this means for an RB and an OT may be different, but the injury isn't nearly the death knell it once was.

If by some miracle Fitzpatrick is there for us in the first (on the record as saying it likely won't happen), or if we decide to go Ward or DT instead of best LB available, I wonder if targeting a guy like Shaquem Griffin makes sense to target in 2 or 3 round.

Our needs are more for an ILB instead of a Will, but assuming we remain mostly 4-3 (a set Guenther likes), speed, ferocity, and a little positional flexibility out of a Will can only helps us. 

Maybe I just like the guy's story and think his underdog nature fits perfectly with our ethos, but he has an awesome motor and did play out of multiple positions in college (stacked, off the edge, rushing the passer or dropping off in coverage against RBs/TEs, etc.) and may even contribute to ST. 

Users who are viewing this thread