Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
joey

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread ==

On 4/12/2018 at 2:39 PM, 32 Counter Pass said:

The chances of Roquan Smith falling to the Raiders are diminishing. Ruben Foster's DV charges make it more likely that the 9ers may snag Smith with their pick. 

the last couple of mocks I've seen don't have R Smith falling to us at 10.

Dang, I was really getting psyched to have a potential game-changing LB on our team.

Either way, I know we get a top-notch Defensive prospect regardless at 10 with all the QBs going in the top 10.

7 hours ago, joey said:

the last couple of mocks I've seen don't have R Smith falling to us at 10.

Dang, I was really getting psyched to have a potential game-changing LB on our team.

Either way, I know we get a top-notch Defensive prospect regardless at 10 with all the QBs going in the top 10.

A lot of recent mocks I've seen have Fitzpatrick falling to the Raiders. If Smith or Edmunds doesn't make it to 10, I think he's a great pick. They can use a guy like that in the secondary. Let's not forget, they didn't get their first interception last season until week 10 and it wasn't even a DB who got it. 

Seems to me given the needs of the 9 teams before us that we could definitely have a shot at either Smith or Edmunds, but doubt both of them fall to 10. 

2 hours ago, Bruno2 said:

A lot of recent mocks I've seen have Fitzpatrick falling to the Raiders. If Smith or Edmunds doesn't make it to 10, I think he's a great pick. They can use a guy like that in the secondary. Let's not forget, they didn't get their first interception last season until week 10 and it wasn't even a DB who got it. 

If Fitzpatrick is there when we pick, I feel like he's the obvious choice for us. Tier 2 would then be Edmunds/Smith/Ward, with Derwin James filling out my Tier 3. I'm not really interested in Vea or McGlinchey at our current spot, but if we traded down a half dozen picks or so to a team that's looking to snap up a quarterback that managed to fall out of the Top 10, those would be the first two guys I'd look at (assuming the five mentioned above are gone at that point).

42 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

If Fitzpatrick is there when we pick, I feel like he's the obvious choice for us. Tier 2 would then be Edmunds/Smith/Ward, with Derwin James filling out my Tier 3. I'm not really interested in Vea or McGlinchey at our current spot, but if we traded down a half dozen picks or so to a team that's looking to snap up a quarterback that managed to fall out of the Top 10, those would be the first two guys I'd look at (assuming the five mentioned above are gone at that point).

I'm curious to see if the Cardinals want to trade up to the Raiders spot to get their QB before the Bills, as both Rosen and Jackson may be available. At pick 15 drafting Mike McGlinchey seems a bit more palatable.

My wants/wishes in order... (Not what I expect to happen or be available at 10)

1. Nelson (I think he is the BPA in the draft)
2. Chubb
3. Fitzpatrick
4. Ward
5. Smith or Edmunds (I flip flop on these two)

40 minutes ago, kaso said:

My wants/wishes in order... (Not what I expect to happen or be available at 10)

1. Nelson (I think he is the BPA in the draft)
2. Chubb
3. Fitzpatrick
4. Ward
5. Smith or Edmunds (I flip flop on these two)

Your list is missing one very big name: Darwin James.

Imagine landing the next Eric Berry / Earl Thomas. 

Ward would be a surprising pick given Reggie's history of selecting taller CBs. Ward doesn't fit the mold. 

48 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Ward would be a surprising pick given Reggie's history of selecting taller CBs. Ward doesn't fit the mold. 

Very good points being brought up. For those reasons, the name Jiare Alexander keeps popping up in my mind as a guy Reggie would covet. I would be upset if they picked him at #10. But for some reason, if the draft isn't going Reggie's way and he finds a trading partner to trade back with (say Buffalo or New England) I can see him trading back and drafting Alexander. Hopefully it' Buffalo desperate for a QB and they make an offer he can't refuse, then I'd be ok with the pick.

1 hour ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Gruden. He has a lot more say on these draft picks then any head coach under McKenzie's reign as GM. Guenther is basically the head coach of the defense and if he likes Ward then Ward he will get I bet. I'm not saying Ward is Guenther's type of CB because I honestly don't know what Guenther's type is.

• Like 1

Who Is The Raiders Director Of Football Research?

Not long ago, a report surfaced that Jon Gruden has been consistently leaning on his own personnel guys throughout free agency.

One of Gruden’s “new guys” is Dave Razzano, who came to Raiders with 25 years in the scouting and personnel industry.

Officially, the Raiders list Razzano as the “Director of Football Research” which isn’t a position that existed prior to Gruden’s arrival and the team has not clarified his role.

Whatever his purpose, it stands to reason that Razzano has Gruden’s ear.

So what do we know about him?

Over the past 25 years, Razzano has been a part of scouting departments in San Francisco, St. Louis, Arizona, and Indianapolis.

Razzano was out of the NFL for a short time before joining the Colts in 2012. During that time he was a regular on media platforms including twitter, where despite erasing his account, many of his scouting takes can still be found.

In 2006, when the Raiders drafted Michael Huff with their seventh-overall pick, Razzano had Huff graded as a third round pick.

He didn’t like Rolando McClain.

In 2007, Razzano lobbied Arizona to draft either Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis with the fifth-overall pick, but the Cardinals settled on left tackle Levi Brown.

Among his other career highlights, Razzano had a second-round grade on Priest Holmes (undrafted), a third-round grade on Wes Welker (undrafted), and a late first-round grade on Donald Driver (seventh round).

As for the lowlights…

He really didn’t like Alex Smith and called Jake Locker, not Cam Newton, the best quarterback in the 2011 draft.

This was Razzano’s now ice-cold take on Locker:

“[Brett] Favre went in the second round, right? If you look at their college stats, Favre and Locker are practically identical. Now look at this play: Tell me this guy doesn’t move like Favre, scramble like Favre, throw like Favre. Pretend he has the number four on his jersey. His release is a lot like Favre, too.”

Razzano was not a fan of Von Miller – at all. He compared Miller to former Jets super-bust Vernon Gholston.

He gave Drew Brees a third-round grade, Maurice Jones-Drew a fourth-round grade, and Jared Allen a late-round grade.

And then there was this tweet from 2011…

Former NFL scout @DaveRazzano says he considers Barkley a better prospect than Mark Sanchez. Saw him a Top 10 pick this year.

Hopefully, he was talking about 14 year-old Saquon Barkley. Otherwise the full landscape of the comparison is unsettling.

To be clear, none of the above is to say Razzano is good or bad at what he does. Luck has a lot to do with the draft and it’s no secret that coaches and scheme play a significant role in player development.

That said, it’s a shame Razzano wasn’t with the Broncos in 2011.

Von Miller would have looked good wearing something other than orange on Sundays.

Link

• Like 1

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The Oakland Raiders’ 2018 regular season schedule is below, as the National Football League announced Thursday.

Date                   Opponent                    Time (PT)TV

Mon., Sept. 10 LOS ANGELES RAMS 7:20 p.m.ESPN

Sun., Sept. 16 at Denver Broncos 1:25 p.m.CBS

Sun., Sept. 23 at Miami Dolphins 10:00 a.m.CBS

Sun., Sept. 30 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:05 p.m.FOX

Sun., Oct. 7 at Los Angeles Chargers 1:05 p.m.CBS

Sun., Oct. 14 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 10:00 a.m.FOX-LONDON

BYE WEEK

Sun., Oct. 28 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 1:05 p.m.CBS

Thu., Nov. 1 at San Francisco 49ers 5:20 p.m.FOX/NFLN

Sun., Nov. 11 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 1:05 p.m.FOX

Sun., Nov. 18 at Arizona Cardinals 1:05 p.m.CBS

Sun., Nov. 25 at Baltimore Ravens 10:00 a.m.CBS

Sun., Dec. 2 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 1:05 p.m.CBS

Sun., Dec. 9 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 5:20 p.m.NBC

Sun., Dec. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals 10:00 a.m.CBS

Mon., Dec. 24 DENVER BRONCOS 5:15 p.m.ESPN

Sun., Dec. 30 at Kansas City Chiefs 10:00 a.m.CBS

Nothing about the schedule really jumps out at me. 2 East Coast Trips, and London. Steelers at home could be a break. Hope that last road game isn't a must win. 

The opener is a doozy. Some good story lines. Gruden vs McVay. Gruden and Carr vs a stacked ram defense. Mack vs Whitworth. All going down in Oakland on Monday nite!

Edited by 32 Counter Pass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ICON211 said:

Raiders travel more miles than any other team.........again.

Do the Seahawks travel from the WC to London as well?

2 minutes ago, Sarlakticacid said:

Do the Seahawks travel from the WC to London as well?

They do 

and we play another ####### home game outside the country...

7 hours ago, Sarlakticacid said:

They do 

and we play another ####### home game outside the country...

It's going to be that way until the Raiders move to Las Vegas. 

I'm not saying the Raiders won't ever have to play in London or Mexico City again but it won't be as frequent and hopefully not always a home game if they do.

20 hours ago, SDJohnny said:

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The Oakland Raiders’ 2018 regular season schedule is below, as the National Football League announced Thursday.

Mon., Sept. 10 LOS ANGELES RAMS 7:20 p.m.ESPN

Sun., Sept. 16 at Denver Broncos 1:25 p.m.CBS

Sun., Sept. 23 at Miami Dolphins 10:00 a.m.CBS

Sun., Sept. 30 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:05 p.m.FOX

Sun., Oct. 7 at Los Angeles Chargers 1:05 p.m.CBS

Sun., Oct. 14 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 10:00 a.m.FOX-LONDON

BYE WEEK

Sun., Oct. 28 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 1:05 p.m.CBS

Thu., Nov. 1 at San Francisco 49ers 5:20 p.m.FOX/NFLN

Sun., Nov. 11 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 1:05 p.m.FOX

Sun., Nov. 18 at Arizona Cardinals 1:05 p.m.CBS

Sun., Nov. 25 at Baltimore Ravens 10:00 a.m.CBS

Sun., Dec. 2 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 1:05 p.m.CBS

Sun., Dec. 9 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 5:20 p.m.NBC

Sun., Dec. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals 10:00 a.m.CBS

Mon., Dec. 24 DENVER BRONCOS 5:15 p.m.ESPN

Sun., Dec. 30 at Kansas City Chiefs 10:00 a.m.CBS

Good schedule aside from the travel. 11-5 sounds about right.

21 hours ago, SDJohnny said:

Mon., Sept. 10 LOS ANGELES RAMS 7:20 p.m.ESPN  W

Sun., Sept. 16 at Denver Broncos 1:25 p.m.CBS L

Sun., Sept. 23 at Miami Dolphins 10:00 a.m.CBS W

Sun., Sept. 30 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:05 p.m.FOX W

Sun., Oct. 7 at Los Angeles Chargers 1:05 p.m.CBS W

Sun., Oct. 14 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 10:00 a.m.FOX-LONDON L

BYE WEEK

Sun., Oct. 28 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 1:05 p.m.CBS W

Thu., Nov. 1 at San Francisco 49ers 5:20 p.m.FOX/NFLN L

Sun., Nov. 11 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 1:05 p.m.FOX W

Sun., Nov. 18 at Arizona Cardinals 1:05 p.m.CBS W

Sun., Nov. 25 at Baltimore Ravens 10:00 a.m.CBS L

Sun., Dec. 2 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 1:05 p.m.CBS W

Sun., Dec. 9 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 5:20 p.m.NBC L

Sun., Dec. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals 10:00 a.m.CBS W

Mon., Dec. 24 DENVER BRONCOS 5:15 p.m.ESPN W

Sun., Dec. 30 at Kansas City Chiefs 10:00 a.m.CBS L

Prior to draft and camp, I see 10-6. 

While I think the Rams are the better team at this point, I can see us doing the improbable and on the basis of Chuckie's first return, pull an upset for the home opener...only to be improbably creamed by the Broncos the next week to remind ourselves that the Raiders sometimes screw us this way, and we still (even with the draft pending) have a lot of holes that can be exploited.

Other than that, my only area of real uncertainty is the Chargers. I think they improved for this coming year, and will be dangerous, but I think we can still sweep them with some luck and grit. 

We'll lose to the Hawks in London because of the travel, I can see us losing to the 9ers in a tight game, winning against the continually deteriorating despite DJ Cardinals, and losing a game we should win to Baltimore. 

Wildcard again.

15 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Prior to draft and camp, I see 10-6. 

While I think the Rams are the better team at this point, I can see us doing the improbable and on the basis of Chuckie's first return, pull an upset for the home opener...only to be improbably creamed by the Broncos the next week to remind ourselves that the Raiders sometimes screw us this way, and we still (even with the draft pending) have a lot of holes that can be exploited.

Other than that, my only area of real uncertainty is the Chargers. I think they improved for this coming year, and will be dangerous, but I think we can still sweep them with some luck and grit. 

We'll lose to the Hawks in London because of the travel, I can see us losing to the 9ers in a tight game, winning against the continually deteriorating despite DJ Cardinals, and losing a game we should win to Baltimore. 

Wildcard again.

I see em losing to Rams--actually I see em getting smoked.

And I waffled on the London game but have em winning. The Seahawks have to travel too. :)

After last year, wildcard would be wildly satisfying.

Recent interview with General Manager Reggie McKenzie - 

McKenzie divulged what he and Head Coach Jon Gruden are looking for when they draft players.

“Raiders. The characteristics of that is just being good football players. It’s not about height, weight, speed or where they come from. It’s about who they are as players. Do they love playing football? All those types of characteristics that you truly like about football players.”

McKenzie talked about what he’s learned about Gruden through working with him so far.

“Oh man, he’s a bowling ball of butcher knives. (laughter) He’s great. I love the fire, I love the enthusiasm. We can talk football all day and watch film. I mean, it’s been really good. I’m excited to watch him on the grass and get out there and watch practice. It’s fun. That’s what I expected. He’s going to make it fun and not just for his players and coaches but it’s fun being around him and I like that.”

Following the 2018 regular season schedule release Thursday, McKenzie discussed the upcoming slate of games for the Silver and Black.

“That’s the way it is. We’re excited. To open up on Monday Night, being at home, it’s going to be a good one. I think the schedule has worked out pretty good. In the long run, we got a few TV games which is good for the players and it’s good for Raider Nation. They can watch us on that forum. We’re excited for this schedule. We’ll see how it is in the end with the cold weather, but that’s not going to be a problem.”

On 4/21/2018 at 5:25 AM, Ed Wood said:

I see em losing to Rams--actually I see em getting smoked.

And I waffled on the London game but have em winning. The Seahawks have to travel too. :)

After last year, wildcard would be wildly satisfying.

At this point, I think the Rams look like the better team this year by a good margin...which is why the Raiders inexplicably beat them in Week 1 (attributing it to the general Week 1 Wackiness we often see with teams coming in from shorter OTAs/camps).

And then, even though I think the Raiders are a better team, I have them just as inexplicably lose to the Donks in Week 2 (attributing it to the karma of simply being a Raiders fan and losing a game or two each year we should absolutely win).

Bringing the universe in balance. As it was, as it should be. Om.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, SDJohnny said:

Mon., Sept. 10 LOS ANGELES RAMS 7:20 p.m.ESPN  LOSS

Sun., Sept. 16 at Denver Broncos 1:25 p.m.CBS WIN

Sun., Sept. 23 at Miami Dolphins 10:00 a.m.CBS LOSS

Sun., Sept. 30 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:05 p.m.FOX WIN

Sun., Oct. 7 at Los Angeles Chargers 1:05 p.m.CBS  WIN

Sun., Oct. 14 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 10:00 a.m.FOX-LONDON  LOSS

BYE WEEK

Sun., Oct. 28 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 1:05 p.m.CBS  WIN

Thu., Nov. 1 at San Francisco 49ers 5:20 p.m.FOX/NFLN  WIN

Sun., Nov. 11 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 1:05 p.m.FOX WIN

Sun., Nov. 18 at Arizona Cardinals 1:05 p.m.CBS LOSS

Sun., Nov. 25 at Baltimore Ravens 10:00 a.m.CBS LOSS

Sun., Dec. 2 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 1:05 p.m.CBS WIN

Sun., Dec. 9 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 5:20 p.m.NBC LOSS

Sun., Dec. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals 10:00 a.m.CBS WIN

Mon., Dec. 24 DENVER BRONCOS 5:15 p.m.ESPN WIN

Sun., Dec. 30 at Kansas City Chiefs 10:00 a.m.CBS LOSS

:shrug: 

less than 9 wins will be disappointing from a team that made the playoffs 2 years ago and underperformed terribly last year. I can see us getting to 10 wins but it will require us to actually be a good team and not just a lucky team.  

23 minutes ago, joey said:

less than 9 wins will be disappointing from a team that made the playoffs 2 years ago and underperformed terribly last year. I can see us getting to 10 wins but it will require us to actually be a good team and not just a lucky team.  

learning a new offence isnt going to help matters 

On 4/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, SDJohnny said:

Mon., Sept. 10 LOS ANGELES RAMS 7:20 p.m.ESPN-LOSS

Sun., Sept. 16 at Denver Broncos 1:25 p.m.CBS-WIN

Sun., Sept. 23 at Miami Dolphins 10:00 a.m.CBS-WIN

Sun., Sept. 30 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:05 p.m.FOX-WIN

Sun., Oct. 7 at Los Angeles Chargers 1:05 p.m.CBS-LOSS

Sun., Oct. 14 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 10:00 a.m.FOX-LONDON-WIN

BYE WEEK

Sun., Oct. 28 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 1:05 p.m.CBS-WIN

Thu., Nov. 1 at San Francisco 49ers 5:20 p.m.FOX/NFLN-LOSS

Sun., Nov. 11 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 1:05 p.m.FOX-WIN

Sun., Nov. 18 at Arizona Cardinals 1:05 p.m.CBS-WIN

Sun., Nov. 25 at Baltimore Ravens 10:00 a.m.CBS-LOSS

Sun., Dec. 2 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 1:05 p.m.CBS-WIN

Sun., Dec. 9 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 5:20 p.m.NBC-WIN

Sun., Dec. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals 10:00 a.m.CBS-WIN

Mon., Dec. 24 DENVER BRONCOS 5:15 p.m.ESPN-WIN

Sun., Dec. 30 at Kansas City Chiefs 10:00 a.m.CBS-LOSS

11-5; Seahawks weren't great last year and didn't get any better. Steelers at home is not mission impossible. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 11:30 AM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

At this point, I think the Rams look like the better team this year by a good margin...which is why the Raiders inexplicably beat them in Week 1 (attributing it to the general Week 1 Wackiness we often see with teams coming in from shorter OTAs/camps).

And then, even though I think the Raiders are a better team, I have them just as inexplicably lose to the Donks in Week 2 (attributing it to the karma of simply being a Raiders fan and losing a game or two each year we should absolutely win).

Two extremely valid points. And I didn't notice the Rams game was Monday so I could definitely seem them losing to Denver as well on a short week.

Lot's of optimistic folks posting lately. I really haven't heard of any signings that address some of the team's glaring needs. Besides Mack, there are big question marks everywhere on the defense. The RT has not been adequately addressed, and there is an alarming lack of depth at the position. WR is another area of concern with poor depth and a question as to what Jordy has left in the tank. The only positive I see is that the schedule is considered relatively easy. All that said, if I am betting O/U total wins for the Raiders I am taking the under if the prop is 10 or more. 

My opinion may change based on preseason and everything going right... but when has that ever happened?

Edited by 32 Counter Pass

Maybe the old school Raiders are back; Get arrested, be released, sign with the Silver & Black.

CB Worley and the Raiders have agreed to terms.

Who is Daryl Worley?

Link

Worley is 6-1, 205 lbs (Fits Reggie's mold of taller CBs)

Drafted in the 3 round of the 2016 draft.

Worley ranks in 61% percentile overall, and 60% percentile in coverage per PFF player grades. 

I am not that familiar with Worley's play. Pro football reference stats:

Year	Age	Tm	Pos	No.	G	GS	Int	Yds	TD	Lng	PD	Sk	Tkl	Ast	Sfty	AV
2016	21	CAR	RCB	26	16	11	1	22	0	22	9	1.0	62	25			5
2017	22	CAR	RCB	26	15	14	2	0	0	0	10	1.0	49	14			6

Some assumptions:
- Worley has decent NFL experience, starting 25 over the past two season
- Worley has potential as a pass rusher (not sure how often he was asked to do so)
– Worley has some ability to generate TO in the pass game

If we assume Conley plays to his draft position, Melvin is as advertised, and Worley stays out of trouble the CB position has been adequately addressed. Makes CB less likely in Rd 1 IMO.

Now the Raiders just need a Safety,  LBs, rush DE and a DT to provide pressure up the middle to have a playoff caliber defense!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Now the Raiders just need a Safety,  LBs, rush DE and a DT to provide pressure up the middle to have a playoff caliber defense!

;)

5 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Lot's of optimistic folks posting lately. I really haven't heard of any signings that address some of the team's glaring needs. Besides Mack, there are big question marks everywhere on the defense. The RT has not been adequately addressed, and there is an alarming lack of depth at the position. WR is another area of concern with poor depth and a question as to what Jordy has left in the tank. The only positive I see is that the schedule is considered relatively easy. All that said, if I am betting O/U total wins for the Raiders I am taking the under if the prop is 10 or more. 

My opinion may change based on preseason and everything going right... but when has that ever happened?

10 wins seems generous.  There are a lot of holes on both sides of the ball.  The D is most concerning.  Playoffs don't seem likely this season but think it can still be a productive season towards building a really good team.  

6 hours ago, kaso said:

Maybe the old school Raiders are back; Get arrested, be released, sign with the Silver & Black.

CB Worley and the Raiders have agreed to terms.

Maybe a pinch of old school Raiders, with a dash of Guenther bringing some Cinci thuggishness with him?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 0:18 PM, 32 Counter Pass said:

The only positive I see is that the schedule is considered relatively easy.

That's the ONLY thing I'm basing 11-5 on; certainly not the personnel moves and coaching hires so far.

They weren't a 12-4 team in 2016--got very fortunate.

But they weren't a x-xx team in 2017 (already blotted out the exact record)--that was a conglomeration of disasters.

They're somewhere in between, like 9-7. And maybe Chuckie, a good draft, adequate preparation on game day and a little more Chuckie get 'em two more wins. They've got 11 picks. Surely they can find 3 serviceable players out of 11 that can help right away.

Love the Worley signing.  Melvin, Worley and the kid is suddenly not a terrible CB group at all.  

http://only1nation.com/2018/04/14/oakland-raiders-predicting-reggie-mckenzie-2018-nfl-draft-board/

Really great read from this fan/blogger.  Predicting Reggie's big board.  

Matt Miller has said that some people think Mo Hurst is gonna slide to day 3.  If we pass on Mo Hurst 3 times, I will be unthrilled.  

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Love the Worley signing.  Melvin, Worley and the kid is suddenly not a terrible CB group at all.  

http://only1nation.com/2018/04/14/oakland-raiders-predicting-reggie-mckenzie-2018-nfl-draft-board/

Really great read from this fan/blogger.  Predicting Reggie's big board.  

Matt Miller has said that some people think Mo Hurst is gonna slide to day 3.  If we pass on Mo Hurst 3 times, I will be unthrilled.  

Great read, but like others have said, Grudens influene will change Reggie's draft preferences. How much so, remains to be seen. The McGlinchy talk scares me a little at 10. Warming up to Landry as well. Can't wait til tomorrow!

Would like to see one of the 4 Qbs available at 10 and then hope Miami or Buffalo would be willing to swap 1st round picks (plus additional picks) to move up. Especially if Gruden/Reggie like a few guys on the board.

Something has gotta give

The Raiders current have 77 players under contract. They also hold 11 draft picks by my count. If they do not trade any picks this would leave them with 88 roster spots filled. They would only be able to sign 2 UDFAs since the maximum is 90 players. 

Makes me wonder if they will try and package picks and move up. Another possibility is roster cuts after the mini camp concludes.

I have no idea how much value a 5th or 6th round picks holds, but it would sure be sweet to get another swing in the 2nd or 3rd round. Prolly wishful thinking.

23 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

Something has gotta give

The Raiders current have 77 players under contract. They also hold 11 draft picks by my count. If they do not trade any picks this would leave them with 88 roster spots filled. They would only be able to sign 2 UDFAs since the maximum is 90 players. 

Makes me wonder if they will try and package picks and move up. Another possibility is roster cuts after the mini camp concludes.

I have no idea how much value a 5th or 6th round picks holds, but it would sure be sweet to get another swing in the 2nd or 3rd round. Prolly wishful thinking.

True, but I think a bit misleading.  They should be able to sign more UDFAs, as the rookie selections should not count against the roster spots until the rookie contracts are signed, which will come much later... I think.  Well, actually I might be making that up.

A couple of facts:

• Gruden has never moved up in the first round, ever.
  • The cost to move up would be exorbitant, especially with the premium placed on those top 5 spots with this year's (well, every year's) demand for quarterbacks.
  • We can almost certainly still land a defense changing player at the #10 spot

But part of my greedy side still wants this narrative to play out, as there is just something nice about landing the top defensive player in the draft:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/4/25/17282780/nfl-draft-2018-bradley-chubb-reportedly-potential-raiders-trade-up-target

3 hours ago, Moonshine said:

A couple of facts:

• Gruden has never moved up in the first round, ever.
  • The cost to move up would be exorbitant, especially with the premium placed on those top 5 spots with this year's (well, every year's) demand for quarterbacks.
  • We can almost certainly still land a defense changing player at the #10 spot

But part of my greedy side still wants this narrative to play out, as there is just something nice about landing the top defensive player in the draft:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/4/25/17282780/nfl-draft-2018-bradley-chubb-reportedly-potential-raiders-trade-up-target

There have been rumors of the Raiders trading up, trading down, and drafting numerous players if they stay at 10.  All of this indicates the Raiders have done a good job keeping their intentions under wrap.

Saw this on twitter today: 

Daniel Jeremiah has been the most accurate media guy in predicting the #Raiders first round pick the last few years. Even had Conley and Joseph correct the day before the draft. He has Minkah Fitzpatrick going 10.

https://twitter.com/NickHjeltness/status/989555609933508609

• Like 2

I would much rather have Minkah than the too tall Jones OT from Notre Dame. I think that guy gets roasted by NFL edge rushers. 

48 minutes ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

I have preferences but what I really want is a player that contributes this coming season (unlike last year). :rant:

Last year's draft was disappointing for sure.  But, drafts should not be graded until 3 years later:  Injuries happen and  learning curves are different for all players. 

I want to see BPA on D this draft.  Pick after pick.  To mix it up a little, snagging a WR and OT midrounds would be nice too. 

Edited by DocHolliday

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Last year's draft was disappointing for sure.  But, drafts should not be graded until 3 years later:  Injuries happen and  learning curves are different for all players. 

I want to see BPA on D this draft.  Pick after pick.  To mix it up a little, snagging a WR and OT midrounds would be nice too. 

I wasn't grading, only remembering they didn't get any help from their first two picks LY. I am just hoping they can get some help with those picks this year. It is a pretty low bar to clear. Hopefully they can clear it. 

• Like 1