What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (5 Viewers)

We may see another vet move today, with the addition of Bryant.  Another cut, or a Seth trade, as Vic Tafur speculated on Twitter.  We save 4 mill by cutting Seth, so he's gone soon one way or another.  

Shocked, shocked if we don't see several trades by Raiders over next few days.  Move up in later rounds, or moving picks for next year.  We aren't taking that many players the next two days.  

Here's a pretty good wrap up IMO on first round winners and losers—the Raiders are neither here. However, there are these Raider points:

"Not sure what trade chart Steve Keim showed to Jon Gruden when he called him up about a deal for swapping No. 15 for No. 10, but the Cards GM got a good deal on moving up to grab the last remaining quarterback of the "Big Four" when he landed Josh Rosen out of UCLA. Now technically, the Raiders didn't get ripped off: the No. 10 pick is worth 1,300 points on the old trade value chart and Gruden and Oakland got 1,275 points in return. However, this was a situation where there was just one of the top quarterbacks on the board and they didn't crank up the cost. The Cardinals were in a bit of desperation to land a young signal caller after missing out on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson last year, and Rosen could be a stud."

And:

"Derwin James is an absolute steal at No. 17."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-ravens-cardinals-come-out-on-top-in-round-1/

Last edited by a moderator:
For sheets and giggles, here's the names I found for Raiders in Day 2 mocks that have been published today:

Mike Gesicki

Carlton Davis

Rasheem Green 

Malik Jefferson

Maurice Hurst

Nathan Shepherd

Josh Jackson

Tim Settle

We may see another vet move today, with the addition of Bryant.  Another cut, or a Seth trade, as Vic Tafur speculated on Twitter.  We save 4 mill by cutting Seth, so he's gone soon one way or another.  

Shocked, shocked if we don't see several trades by Raiders over next few days.  Move up in later rounds, or moving picks for next year.  We aren't taking that many players the next two days.  
According to over the cap cutting Seth Roberts would result in $4,250,000 in dead money and only save $200,000 towards the cap.

You right, I read that wrong.  Need to trade him to realize any savings.  
I hope this happens. I wanted the Raiders to replace him for the past few years. Save some money and get a late pick for him. Then use that money saved to sign Bowman.

I was at a charity event last night and so I snuck (not very well) some check in's on my phone to the draft and made sure I had my fill of wine. I had some time to sober up and think on the draft a bit. Here are some of my thoughts for anyone who cares to spend the time to read them. 

First, I am pissed off at the Browns. I do not care about Baker. Sure, go for it. Who knows. But how did you pass up Chubb with your 4th? Behind QB's there is nothing more important in this league than having pass rushers. You can't have too many. What damage could this kid do with Myles opposite of him? And for years to come with them both being young. So, they pass on him for brain damaged reasons and he goes to the freaking Donkeys. Really? I don't want to see this kid twice a year with a still very effective Von Miller to deal with as well. Granted, the Donkeys still have no QB so there is a silver lining but come on freaking Browns!!! 

Second, every year there is draft group think. It is not just among analysts and fans but among NFL teams as well. The Raiders have a very strong and proud tradition of bucking group thinking and going their own way. At times it worked out gloriously for us and at times it burned the house down. I'm ok with us not going the group think route. I am even more ok with it if it ends up being a good pick. However, as a Raider- there has to be a certain amount of pride in being the anti-NFL even after the Al age has closed and we are not as sue happy as before. 

Third, the OT pick makes sense. I have no idea how good the kid is and I am not nearly good enough to judge him myself. I tend to read what better men than I have to say and form my opinions based off of that. I have not had the chance to read up on him. My thought here is more about position. There are several obvious points here. 1) Penn has his end of playing time horizon within sight. 2) We have no right tackle right now. I mean none that I would feel comfortable with. 3) Protecting Carr has to have a premium. He goes down or gets hurt and plays with a broken back and it means we are not competitive. 4) Draft history states that it is much easier to find a starting LB outside the 1st round than it is to find a starting OT outside of the 1st. 

Fourth, Goodness- Bryant for a 3rd. Come on. That is a classic Raider move. Get the unhappy screw up with talent overflowing and bring him here. 3rd feels expensive to me but not overly so. It really puts a jolt in our offense. He is tall, big, fast and..... wait for it..... actually catches the ball when it is near him. Could it blow up in our face? Sure. But it is a classic Raider move and if you are a true Raider fan that knows our history then you have to like it. 

Fifth, I think our offense is pretty well set. Maybe a RB later in the draft if someone they like falls. I expect two things over the rest of the draft. Some more trades and a bunch of defensive player positions being called. Then again, I think Mac is always willing to make a BPA so don't be overly surprised if we hear an offensive guy or two. 

Sixth, I am ok with us not going Edmunds. Back to the group think thing.... I heard some counter to that today where an analyst (can't remember who... the grapes have not left my body completely yet) where he did not think he was a 1st round worthy player. He saw some major flaws in his game such as inconsistent tackler. I rather us get a good player period than a player everyone thinks we should get because of need. 

Field Yates @FieldYates
The Raiders have converted $7.085M of Pro Bowl C Rodney Hudson’s 2018 base salary into a bonus, creating $5.668M in much needed cap space, according to a league source.

OT was a huge need. I'm a little less skeptical about Miller than I was McGlinchy based on off-the-charts athleticism. I don't think either player was close to BPA at either of their slots, but they play an uber premium position, so there you go. If Miller ends up even above average, it will be a good/great pick based on Carr's health alone.

Chucky era is here and a few immediate differences are apparent:

- We will accumulate and utilize draft capital. Love how the best teams do this, especially the Pats. It's about time we had a modern draft.

- Character counts, but less so than before. Worley and Bryant and who knows who else from the rest of this draft aren't the golden soldiers McKenzie (and I) prefered the last few years. 

- Emphasis on offense so far. Chucky is building a beast on offense first. All he needs now is a young stud at RB to supplement and eventually replace Beastmode. Don't be shocked by Guice in Rd 2, especially considering the character thing. Don't be shocked by another OT later in the draft. I know defense is what we want, but Chucky is boss.

New boss not the same as the old boss.

BTW, I absolutely hate that the Broncos got Chubb and the Chargers got James due to other teams' desperation for QBs and the Raiders desperation for OT. Both those guys are instant studs IMO.

Hate this too:

Draft picks: Georgia OT Isaiah Wynn (No. 23 overall), Georgia RB Sony Michel (No. 31 overall). 
Day 1 grade: A 
The skinny: There's not many sub-6-foot-3 tackles in the NFL. But Wynn's length and athleticism allowed him to excel at the position with the Bulldogs, and there's no reason to think he can't be a solid player there in the NFL. He also plays with a nasty streak. Just another four-year, high-character player for Bill Belichick. His college teammate, running back Sony Michel, will join him in Foxboro. Michel has the versatility to be a star in the Patriots' system, working as a receiver and slashing through defenses as a runner. They needed to replace Dion Lewis, so they did. I expect them to get help on defense on Day Two.

After calming down and thinking about it, Chadstroma made some excellent points. Drafting a tackle is even more urgent now that Denver has Chubb and Miller coming off the edges. Priority #1 has to be protecting Carr. We've all seen what happens when he gets hurt, the team goes in the tank.

Second: I really, really wanted them to take Fitzpatrick or James. Now that I think about it, they have already invested high picks in the secondary over the past two years and I gotta believe they want to see what they have in Conley, Obi and Joseph. Drafting James may have been investing too much into that position in their minds. Which does make sense.

The more I read about Kolton Miller, the less I like the pick. I know the Raiders needed OT badly, but it seems like they took a guy with potential but very serious question marks ahead of some blue chip defenders, especially Derwin James and Tremaine Edmunds. I hate that need trumped BPA. It seems the elite athleticism for Miller was based on 40 time and long jump. Quickness measurements are more in line with his tape, which was not indicative of a 1st round tackle. I've renewed my concerns about his ability to overcome being 6'9''. Obviously I hope I am wrong. Luv Chucky as a coach, but as others have noted, his draft resume is questionable at best, and this pick didn't inspire new confidence.

Seems the Raiders are stuck with Seth Roberts due to his contract. It's a $4.5 MM cap hit this year with only a $200k savings if they cut him. Somebody needs to take that contract to agree to trade for him. Maybe the Raiders have to give someone a late pick to take Roberts off their hands, like what Houston did with Brock Arseweiler a year or two ago. Good news is if/when someone takes Roberts via trade, that frees up $4.5 MM. Martavus is a huge upgrade here for 2018 and perhaps beyond.

For those looking for a boast of hope, I see some similarities between Kolton Miller and Jonathan Ogden. Their measurables are somewhat comparable.

Miller Ogden
Height 6-9 6-9
Weight 309 319
Arm length 34.125 34.13
Hand size 10.75 10.63

They both went to UCLA.

One attribute that jumps out film is that Miller has excellent feet for a player his size. He also is able to read defenses and process information quickly. He uses his hands very well.

He can sometimes get lazy and not bend his knees, which allows quicker defenders to beat him on the edge. My bet is he will be the day 1 starter at RT. He will have some growing pains facing Von Miller/Chubb and Ingram/Bosa, but if he can learn and grow from those experiences quickly he will be a solid contributor.

I do not understand what they are doing. I think they now have so many picks they will be over the league limit if they use all their picks. And they passed on Landry. WTF?

i gave up making sense of this draft after that last trade down...the Pats are doing the same thing and have a history of doing so...and they win championships like other people wake up and go to work...so ima just gonna wait n see

The Raiders have traded back again, this time exchanging pick No. 41 with the Titans for picks 57 and 89.
So we have 3, Day 2 selections, Nos. 57, 75 and 89 as of right now. I want to be positive about all these moves. They must have a plan, right?

P.J. Hall, DL, Sam Houston State

Hall is arguably the most versatile defensive lineman in this draft class. I saw him live five or six times and he played every single spot up and down the line of scrimmage, sometimes multiple spots on the same drive. He played in 2016 at 285 pounds but in 2017 bulked up to 308 and maintained all of his physical gifts. Such as? A 38-inch vertical jump, 4.75 in the 40., 36 reps on the bench press. He squatted 700-plus pounds during the 2017 offseason. He’s built like a tank at under 6-1 and 308. He has a blazing quick first step and can win with power or speed from anywhere up and down the line of scrimmage. After his pro day, multiple teams were clamoring to speak with him. Oh, he also blocked an astounding 14 kicks. He had a tremendous Shrine Game week, which got him attention, but his pro day made teams salivate over a potential Grady Jarrett(Falcons) clone.

DRAFT PROJECTION: In 5 of 9 Draft Boards we reviewed, could be a 3rd round guy thanks to his incredible Pro Day.
2017 STATS: Let's just go with career numbers, shall we? P.J. had 14 career blocked kicks, and 42 sacks, and 80-plus negative yardage plays. We'll stop there. You get it.

P.J. Hall is a bowling ball defensive lineman who will make some general manager massively happy. After he crushed his Pro Day? NFL teams began to realize that what they saw on film matched what they saw in the meat market. Hall might go Day Two and definitely will get drafted. Not bad for a guy who wasn't invited to the NFL Combine or the Senior Bowl (he played in the Shrine Game, which is considered Game No. 2).

so a pure overpay for guy that could have been had in any of our next 4 or 5 picks? wtf is going on right now?

Another XXXL OT almost same height and weight as Miller. Protecting Carr is the priority for everyone involved obviously!

My goodness, this draft. Three reaches and a guy with repeated drug issues.

its funny ....every year we have this guy in our fantasy league that makes picks that make us scratch our heads...its like he thinks he knows something the rest of us dont...takes guys 4 or 5 rds before they would normally be picked...but he likes them ...and he wants to be sure he gets them...he actually does pretty good during the season...at least until he starts trading them all away lol

In the 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl, #Raiders third round pick Brandon Parker allowed two sacks and six total pressures in 23 pass-block snaps #NFLDraft

PFF's Live NFL Draft analysis on YouTube:https://t.co/mCMXxdJxAt

— PFF OAK Raiders (@PFF_Raiders) April 28, 2018

Jesus christ. It took me all day to come around on Kolton Miller, and tonight has been reallllllly rough in my opinion.

Tough draft all around.

I'm on board with PJ Hall completely.

The tackles.....Look. Sharpe, Ware, and the two today, it's on the coaches. We could have bargain bookends for next four years, that's a huge advantage. We went athletic potential untapped. They need to develop them now.

Users who are viewing this thread