What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (3 Viewers)

So Mark is cutting Reggie off at the knees to make a splashy hire. Guess he's more like his old man than I thought.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Raiders are giving new head coach Jon Gruden a 10-year contract, the longest coaching deal in NFL history, sources tell ESPN. The deal is likely to be worth about $100 million.

Whoa. I wondered why Gruden would leave a cushy ESPN gig to go back to the grind of coaching. That is a LOT of money. 

And nothing against Gruden, but he has been out of coaching for quite a long time at this point. 10 years $100M is a giant gamble IMO.

just got a Sleeperbot update saying that the Raiders will be announcing Gruden hire on Tuesday.

Whoa. I wondered why Gruden would leave a cushy ESPN gig to go back to the grind of coaching. That is a LOT of money. 

And nothing against Gruden, but he has been out of coaching for quite a long time at this point. 10 years $100M is a giant gamble IMO.
I agree that it is a huge gamble. The team already has $15 million in "dead money" they will be paying to JDR. 

10/100, wow. Good for Gruden.

"I am interested enough to ask, is 10/100 and a potential ownership share potential in the range for all candidates interviewing for the Raiders HC vacancy?" - Other Coaches Interviewed

"...no." - Mark Davis

:rooneyrule:

The Gruden story is amazing because it highlights  how idiotic most NFL fans are when they comment about it. 

Reports are Greg Olsen will be brought in as OC. First time I saw that and interesting as he was our OC a few years back (didn't do well but then again take a look a the roster he was playing with). Interesting pick to me. I would have thought Gruden would have some more pull on getting a bigger name.

Guenther and the ST guy have been discussed before. Guenther did well with the Bengal D. Not sure of his scheme but they have had solid D's there while he has been there.

So far it sounds like:
HC: Jon Gruden

OC: Greg Olson

DC: Paul Guenther

ST: Rich Bisaccia

Quarterbacks Coach: Rich Gannon

From what I have read the Raiders are also working on buying the Bali Hai land across from the stadium land they already purchased which will be used for parking. The Bali Hai land is a large piece of land that should accommodate most if not all parking concerns.

This pic shows where Bali Hai is and the stadium will be where the empty piece of land is kitty corner from that across from Mandalay Bay.
So, this must be where the talk about the pedestrian bridges comes into play.

I am all for the Gruden hire but this seems like way too much money.   Goodness.  
I get that but it's not like it's affecting the salary cap. Gruden has all the leverage in this situation. He's got the TV job as his back-up. It took a big offer to get him back. Looking forward to having Gannon back in the fold. The organization's animosity against him was pretty petty. 

I get that but it's not like it's affecting the salary cap. Gruden has all the leverage in this situation. He's got the TV job as his back-up. It took a big offer to get him back. Looking forward to having Gannon back in the fold. The organization's animosity against him was pretty petty. 
I'm with you. If this doesn't affect our ability to sign our own studs (Mack) and pay for solid free agents, he's the best guy on the market so you do what you need to to land the deal. Especially with Vegas in our very near future. Let's right the ship and build excitement for the move. 

Reports are Greg Olsen will be brought in as OC. First time I saw that and interesting as he was our OC a few years back (didn't do well but then again take a look a the roster he was playing with). Interesting pick to me. I would have thought Gruden would have some more pull on getting a bigger name.

Guenther and the ST guy have been discussed before. Guenther did well with the Bengal D. Not sure of his scheme but they have had solid D's there while he has been there.
I believe Gruden and Olsen worked together before and lets face it Gruden will be calling the plays. Olsen will be there to help game plan for the week and help with the QB's as well. He was the QB coach for the Rams and look at Goff's progression under him. Olsen has always been a good QB coach IMO. Plus I think Gruden would like to pick Olsen's brain from what he has learned while working under McVay.

So, this must be where the talk about the pedestrian bridges comes into play.
Yes, Also eventually the monorail will be extended to Mandalay Bay so between the Bali Hai site and the monorail they will need a foot bridge to span across the interstate there.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Jim Trotter reports the Raiders are expected to keep GM Reggie McKenzie.

McKenzie's status has been up in the air with the Raiders hiring Jon Gruden. He declined an interview for Green Bay's general manager job, suggesting he'll remain in Oakland. After signing an extension last year, McKenzie is under contract through 2020.

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Bolt/Report-Oakland-Raiders-DT-Eddie-Vanderdoes-suffers-torn-ACL-vs-Chargers-112990660

Totally missed this. He played a lot, didn't have an impact this year, but still feel bad for the kid. 

"As Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported, rookie defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes suffered a torn left ACL in the final quarter of the Week 17 loss.

Michael Gehlken✔@GehlkenNFL

Terrible news for Raiders DT Eddie Vanderdoes. Has been diagnosed with torn left ACL, source says. Tough player. Insisted on walking off sideline. No cart.

It's been unbelievable how badly the Raiders were bitten by the injury bug this year, and Vanderdoes will now likely miss at least the start of the 2018 NFL season.

The injury to Vanderdoes means that each of the Raiders' first three draft picks from 2017 dealt with season-ending injuries. Cornerback Gareon Conley was placed on injured reserve with a shin injury, safety Obi Melifonwu dealt with multiple injuries but wound up on IR because of his hip and now the Raiders saw Vanderdoes go down in the final game."

Ian Rapoport
Replying to @Rapsheet and @NFL
I'm told Gruden is not very 
fond of a few key #Raiders players.
Expect major changes to
personnel.

Carr, Mack, Hudson, Cooper, KO, Jackson and maybe Penn are the only key players we have. The rest a a bunch of JAGs. 

Ian Rapoport
Expect major changes to
personnel.
Solid inside info here.  So a new coach with the stature of Gruden wants to make changes to the roster and bring in other guys he likes?  This is earth shattering news here.  I hate Rapoport.  Seems like half his "reports" are just made up and the other half are things of this nature.

Ian Rapoport
Expect major changes to
personnel.
Lynch comes to mind.  Maybe Crabtree too.  Seems like one or two players on the Oline could have been rowing the boat in the wrong direction too.    For the team to look so off all season, there was probably a few locker room issues in 2017.  

I agree that it is a huge gamble. The team already has $15 million in "dead money" they will be paying to JDR. 
I think 10-100 is about twice as long and as expensive as it should be but Gruden probably said these are my terms and Davis acquiesced. He'll never make it that long. Not that's he's not good at what he does but he'll probably burn out long before then.

I guess I equate it to ARod's Yankee contract. He was with them 12 years and the Yankees paid him $317 million. They got one ring out of it. If Gruden lasts 10 years and the Raiders get one ring, Davis will say $100 million was worth it and the fans will too.

Is the Gruden hire fun? Absolutely - he’s entertaining as hell, great in the post game pressers & fun to watch on the sidelines. It will generate great interest to see if he can still coach, and if he’s able to both adapt to the modern NFL & rehabilitate the greatness of the Raidahs.

is it a shrewd hire? I’m not convinced it is. $100M and 10 years - long time to commit to a coach that hasn’t coached in so long. Especially one who kinda lost that Bucs team and didn’t coach particularly well at the end.

but he’s got something to prove, and there’s a ton of pressure. It’s a splashy hire & hey, it’s not our $.

kinda bugs me the Raiders cried poor, are leaving Oakland after getting $750M in charity, but that’s another subject for another day. Still hate that they’re leaving though. 

Is the Gruden hire fun? Absolutely - he’s entertaining as hell, great in the post game pressers & fun to watch on the sidelines. It will generate great interest to see if he can still coach, and if he’s able to both adapt to the modern NFL & rehabilitate the greatness of the Raidahs.

is it a shrewd hire? I’m not convinced it is. $100M and 10 years - long time to commit to a coach that hasn’t coached in so long. Especially one who kinda lost that Bucs team and didn’t coach particularly well at the end.

but he’s got something to prove, and there’s a ton of pressure. It’s a splashy hire & hey, it’s not our $.

kinda bugs me the Raiders cried poor, are leaving Oakland after getting $750M in charity, but that’s another subject for another day. Still hate that they’re leaving though. 
Im guessing they have a lot of promised monies coming with this Las Vegas deal .

Gruden built the team that lost to the Pats by the awful tuck rule....that same team went to the SB the following year

the Team Gruden went to after the tuck rule game beat the snots outa the other team he built in the SB...he was doing something right

Until we see the terms of the deal we really shouldn't assume it is $100M guaranteed.

I am all for this move. There just seemed like more going on behind the scene that took us backward this year and all of that is on the shoulders of JDR and his coordinators.

Heard during the pregame coverage today that the contract is back loaded, which makes sense for both Davis and Gruden.  I'd have to assume that the contract is guaranteed as most, if not all, coach contracts normally are.  

$10 mil/year is a big average.  But it wouldn't make Gruden the highest paid coach an annual basis in the league.  The length of the contract allows for the math to make it sound like an outlandish number.  I for one hope that Gruden makes it to see the end of the contract.  I'd much rather be one of the teams in the league that have consistency on the sideline then a new face every 2-4 years - like the Steelers, or Patriots.  Hell even the Bengals. 

BustedKnuckles said:
the Team Gruden went to after the tuck rule game beat the snots outa the other team he built in the SB...he was doing something right
I remember it all well. 

I remember Tony Dungy building a great team in TB & Gruden beating his old OC with that team Dungy built. 

I always thought Gruden’s super bowl victory was a little hollow considering

1. He had the Raiders playbook

2. He didn’t build that TB team

and

3. Barret Robbins went on a bipolar bender in TJ the day before the SB & was MIA - kinda helps when you have your starting center.

TB wasn’t anywhere near as dominant after that. 

I think it’ll be fun to watch to see if Chucky can earn his rep. I am happy he’s back.

But I’m not anointing him yet. He still has a lot to prove IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at that super bowl. Look at me!

It was a joke. Callahan didn't even change the audible calls.

Robbins going awol changed everything. I had a buddy on the video staff for the raiders. He woke us up at around 8:30 with the news that the team was frantically looking for Robbins and they had no idea where he was.  It really affected the team according to him. 

I think gruden is a clown, a caricature of what he once was. Which was a young coach with a lot of energy with some decent "new" offensive ideas.  Those ideas are no longer new. Retread coaches don't usually work. At all. 

We'll see. I'm not a fan of the move, what so ever.  I hope I'm wrong. 

I was at that super bowl. Look at me!

It was a joke. Callahan didn't even change the audible calls.

Robbins going awol changed everything. I had a buddy on the video staff for the raiders. He woke us up at around 8:30 with the news that the team was frantically looking for Robbins and they had no idea where he was.  It really affected the team according to him. 

I think gruden is a clown, a caricature of what he once was. Which was a young coach with a lot of energy with some decent "new" offensive ideas.  Those ideas are no longer new. Retread coaches don't usually work. At all. 

We'll see. I'm not a fan of the move, what so ever.  I hope I'm wrong. 
that makes 2 of us

ESPN's Jim Trotter reports the Raiders are expected to keep GM Reggie McKenzie.

McKenzie's status has been up in the air with the Raiders hiring Jon Gruden. He declined an interview for Green Bay's general manager job, suggesting he'll remain in Oakland. After signing an extension last year, McKenzie is under contract through 2020.
I think Gruden just wants input on draft and final say on roster in terms of GM.

Dang, some Raiders "fans" sound like a freaking Donkey or Dolt fans talking about the team with so much B&M. Man up and be a real Raider fan.

Obviously a huge gamble, and proof will pan out one way or another.

Bottom line is, out of all the coaching replacements we could have had to replace JDR, who really would be the highest on the wish-list?

Belichick? Really long shot. Some recent talk that BB may be unhappy with Kraft nwo beginning to weigh in on the roster aside, hard to imagine after 17 years Kraft and the head office wouldn't try to secure BB for another few decades. If these rumors are true, do you think BB would have come cheaper?

Tomlin? Also not likely. PIT has had three coaches since 1969. Tomlin loves it in P'Burgh, and while money talks, can't see how he would be a viable option or any cheaper to lever away from the Rooneys than Gruden's price tag. 

Pete Carroll? Great player's coach and certainly has instilled the right philosophies both with players and head office. How available would he have been? Not very.

Who's left? Andy Reid? That's a possibility as despite his success in regular season, he is not successful come January and opinions in KC on him may be changing. But while Reid generally is better than most, he has some similar warts we saw with JDR & Co., such as sticking to a singular game plan, not leveraging the full complement of his talent -- both in PHI and in KC. Zimmer sure turned MIN around, and his defensive mind would definitely help. 

Who else? Rivera? Please. Dan Quinn? Maybe, team has had some continued success under him, he's shown the ability to do more than less with the D and leverage talent on an explosive offense. Payton? F him and his bounty-gate, ride-Brees'-coattails record. McCarthy? Also not a great game manager but he does know how to make his team (for the most part) perennial playoff attendees.

Bottom line, can you conclusively say any of these guys outside of BB/Tomlin/Carroll would be as good or a better option than Gruden? I sure can't. And as far as other prospects that aren't HCs yet or now (Matt Patricia, Vrabel, DeFilippo, etc.) -- rather take the proven at the position than the unproven. Gruden brings that at least.

Hoping that egos don't get in the way and Reggie involves Gruden in some personnel decisions, and Gruden sees Reggie for the value he provides in team management and draft/FA prospecting. Can't be a zero sum game and the two need to respect and leverage each other's strengths and bolster their weaknesses. They both seem the type of guys to be able to do that (temperment, ego, and otherwise), but we'll see.

Not thrilled with Olsen as OC. That's not in stone yet, and I think there are many other guys I would want (incliding awkwardly getting Musgrave back) but I am comforted by the fact that Gruden will likely be the guy setting the offense and likely calling plays. 

Do you think the Raiders go big bang and announce any of Gruden's staff at the press conference tomorrow?  Granted some, *may*, still be under contract or involved in games in the post-season so they wouldn't be able to be mentioned.   

Do you think the Raiders go big bang and announce any of Gruden's staff at the press conference tomorrow?  Granted some, *may*, still be under contract or involved in games in the post-season so they wouldn't be able to be mentioned.   
No.

1) I think both Gruden and maybe even the Raiders want to just make this about the coup of bringing Gruden in.

2) No real incentive to announce anything now. 

3) I would hope that both Gruden and the Raiders want to take some time not just doing due diligence on candidates, but even if they had a guy like Olsen in mind and ready to sign, why not continue interviewing? Downside is the guy they want gets signed while they do, but upside is that by having numerous candidates, may make for a better negotiation with said candidates.

No.

1) I think both Gruden and maybe even the Raiders want to just make this about the coup of bringing Gruden in.

2) No real incentive to announce anything now. 

3) I would hope that both Gruden and the Raiders want to take some time not just doing due diligence on candidates, but even if they had a guy like Olsen in mind and ready to sign, why not continue interviewing? Downside is the guy they want gets signed while they do, but upside is that by having numerous candidates, may make for a better negotiation with said candidates.
I can't remember who or what team but I do remember a thing about how they would bring people in to interview if nothing more than to pick their brains on their past organization.

Per Ian Rapoport:  The #Raiders will make the hires of OC Greg Olson and DC Paul Guenther official tomorrow before the Jon Gruden press conference.  Both contracts will be done by then, sources say.

Per Ian Rapoport:  The #Raiders will make the hires of OC Greg Olson and DC Paul Guenther official tomorrow before the Jon Gruden press conference.  Both contracts will be done by then, sources say.
Well then. 

Not a big fan of either guys. Well, maybe not seeing anything really special in either is a better way of putting it.

Best thing I can think of for Guenther is that he at least did well with a bend but not break style of D in Cincy that allowed yards but not points. Here are the Bengals D ranking during his tenure:

2014: No. 12 in scoring, No. 22 overall

2015: No. 2 in scoring, No. 11 overall

2016: No. 8 in scoring, No. 12 overall

2017: No. 16 in scoring, No. 18 overall

Good but not great. Maybe he can make something more out of the largely nobodies we have on our D-crew and help make the most of any acquisitions (draft/FA).

Users who are viewing this thread