What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (1 Viewer)

Very true. My risk tolerance for character concerns is lower than most. In general, I feel that a few million dollars rarely helps.
im with you on that ...hell i wouldnt even draft Micheal Vick on my fantasy team when he came back from his dog fighting suspension....character means a lot ...but i had a lot of issues growing up as well ....i grew out of them ...i know thats asking a lot of a 20 something yo kid but he will be surrounded by guys that can tutor him...hopefully he listens 

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur 10m10 minutes ago

Key said his visit here was the best of his eight. Meetings with coaches went well and his talk of off-field things with director of player engagement Lamonte Winston was “off the charts.”

Watch Gruden's day 2 presser. He sounds confident and inspiring. Said they targeted the tackles and PJ Hall (a pick I do like BTW, esp if there were other teams' looking to swoop.) Gave me impression Arden Key was his WTH pick since he accumulated so many. He called Key's early college tape elite. He also says he targeted the ##### out of Martavus Bryant. Said he's big and fast and makes a living catching deep passes. Gruden seems stoked on the draft so far, fwiw. Made me stoked hearing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like the picks of Hall and Key. 

The Raiders did two thing the first two days of the draft.

They drafted two players who protect the QB and two players that get after the QB. I like building from the inside out.

I guess I should add Martavis Bryant to this as well a tall receiver with speed to stretch the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
High risk, high reward. If you're gonna pay a coach $100 million better let him get to work and earn that money.

I don't watch college football, but I do like that we've drafted OT (which is a premium position) and pass rushers. 

People have been hating on Cable, but was he really that bad in SEA? I know last year was a mess (but SEA didn't spend money on the line) , but to my knowledge he did decently prior to that. Cable has a good rep as an OLINE coach....so giving him these elite athletes sounds good to me.

is it just his character issues or more?

That's it entirely. Moving to Vegas in two years should be a great spot for Key. ?
Kids make mistakes, some of them stupid, some of them extremely so. This was only stupid. Hopefully he's learned from it. Ceiling appears to be out of this world:

"The 6-5, 235-pound Key has been described as having first-round talent, an athletic, speedy pass rusher who possess an innate ability to beat the best of tackles on the edge. He showed off those skills during a sensational sophomore season in which he set LSU’s single-season sack record. After (the 2016) season, ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper ranked Key as his No. 1 draft pick, if Key were eligible for the 2017 draft."

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_ace3377a-4a84-11e8-908c-a7f8ce9fca45.html

Top cornerback prospect Nick Nelson has suffered a torn meniscus during a private workout with a team, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The former Wisconsin Badger is scheduled to have it surgically repaired next week, according to sources informed of the situation.

Nelson is expected to be out three to four months but should be healthy for the season.

The 5-foot-11, 208-pound prospect was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten in 2017. Nelson was pegged as a fourth-round draft selection in NFL.com draft analyst

Kids make mistakes, some of them stupid, some of them extremely so. This was only stupid. Hopefully he's learned from it. Ceiling appears to be out of this world:

"The 6-5, 235-pound Key has been described as having first-round talent, an athletic, speedy pass rusher who possess an innate ability to beat the best of tackles on the edge. He showed off those skills during a sensational sophomore season in which he set LSU’s single-season sack record. After (the 2016) season, ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper ranked Key as his No. 1 draft pick, if Key were eligible for the 2017 draft."

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_ace3377a-4a84-11e8-908c-a7f8ce9fca45.html
Supposedly failed a drug test (or more?  Not sure). Left the team for months for 'personal reasons'.  Had shoulder surgery during that time without telling the team.  Those seem to be the off field concerns.  

Some people cannot stand taking injury risks, it seems like the fans in this thread are particularly annoyed by Reggie's taking guys that have injury history.  I feel the same way about character concerns.  I didn't want any part of Randy Gregory.  

There's also guys that have a failed drug test, and you never hear another thing about it.  Warren Sapp is a Hall of Famer with character concerns.  

I am completely rooting for him, and I also think that the risk is worth it.  It's a 3rd round pick, for a potential top pass rusher.  If it was a WR or a S, I would REALLY have a problem with it.  But premium positions get overdrafted, and if Key was clean off the field, he was a 1st rounder.  So heck yeah, it was worth the pick.  If he blows up, then whatever.  But if he hits, it's a big big win.

Here's why I'm so against the character concerns:  They tend to hang around, offering just enough hope for teams to waste time with them.  Look at Aldon Smith, or Josh Gordon.  Guys with character concerns, that don't work out, it's never a quick flame out.  It takes place over years, causing a distraction, and a guy can contribute for a year or so, maybe the team passes on other players at the same position.

I hate that we traded down, and Harold Landry went with our pick.  I hope that's not a mistake.  

Top cornerback prospect Nick Nelson has suffered a torn meniscus during a private workout with a team, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The former Wisconsin Badger is scheduled to have it surgically repaired next week, according to sources informed of the situation.

Nelson is expected to be out three to four months but should be healthy for the season.

The 5-foot-11, 208-pound prospect was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten in 2017. Nelson was pegged as a fourth-round draft selection in NFL.com draft analyst
Michael Gehlken‏Verified account @GehlkenNFL

FollowingFollowing @GehlkenNFL

More

New Raiders CB Nick Nelson said he faces six-week recovery for torn meniscus. Two weeks into it. Injury came during private workout with Lions.
In the scheme of things, torn meniscus ain't sheet.  Seems like a bargain for a slot guy.

Major need.  Need someone to cover the jitterbug types.  CB is in a much better spot that two months ago, fo sho.

RE: Martavius Bryant.

It's a two part story with him.  What happens with the team this year, and after the season.  1.  Will he come in and kill it for the team this year, and if so, 2. what happens on next contract?

Some things to consider.  He is, according to an article I read, living in Vegas, that's where he went to get his head right.  That's interesting, and maybe he's loving the idea of living in Vegas for remainder of his career.  Might be a nice selling point in terms of negotiations.  

If he kills in and and is priced out of our range, we are in line for a comp pick, might get a nice rental for essentially nothing.  

The only bad situation is if he comes in, and is a jagoff.  Then it's a waste of a pick.

Al Davis was a go getta in drafts. I am a go getta in fantasy drafts. Jon Gruden is proving to be a go getta as well.

Value shopping is most ideal but when you have to have certain guys, you have to have certain guys. Watching Gru's presser, he targeted these guys and got them. All we can do is trust/hope his scouting has improved since the Tampa days.

Martavis was another Gruden hard target and I am excited about his prospects in this offense. Trade downs produced Bryant and Key as essentially bonus picks, while Gruden still got the two OTs and 3tech he wanted all along.

Man, has this draft been a roller coaster. Mo Hurst and PJ Hall all of a sudden. They might be the two best 3tech tackles in this draft. By far. Wowzers! This was by far our biggest hole on D for so many years now. Everyone focused on ILB, but our 3tech's have been absolute trash for a while, save for a very short glimpse at a healthy Mario Edwards.

Per @PFF, Mo Hurst (@mohurstjr) ranked first in run defense, first in total pressures (49) and first overall among all 2018 draft eligible interior defenders.

Say what you will about the picks that were made, but in terms of maneuvering a draft board. I give Gru & Co. a solid grade. They traded all over the place this draft to get additional picks and make sure they got their guys. Every pick but Nelson, I think was after a trade down or up. Extra picks were accumulated during and in the weeks leading into the draft, and were leveraged to be able take risky, but huge upside guys up and down the board, in true Al Davis style. Hopefully early Al Davis in terms of talent identification. I am excited to see what a combo of Reggie and Chucky will have in that last, most important regard.

reading the comments under that video clip is eye opening as well ...the steelers fans are NOT happy about  seeing MB leaving the team
If you didn't know.... the kid is overloaded with talent. If he doesn't do boneheaded decisions then spending a 3rd on him is nothing in terms of value. 

Per @PFF, Mo Hurst (@mohurstjr) ranked first in run defense, first in total pressures (49) and first overall among all 2018 draft eligible interior defenders.
Interesting, everyone talks about him bring a pass rusher... i assumed he was light on run stopping. Guess not.

Punter Johnny Townsend

Strengths

Possesses a strong, quiet leg

Able to boom punts out of his own end of the field

Posted career average of 46.2 yards per punt

Had highest gross average in 2017

Works too quickly to block his punt

Confident and capable as directional punter

Uses flip-flop tool to deaden the 50-plus punts

Capable tackler when needed

Weaknesses

Too frequently outkicks his coverage

Hang time just 4.2 seconds this year which doesn't allow coverage to get down the field

May need to slow down his touch-to-toe clock

Offers no kickoff value

Had just 12.3 percent of his punts end up inside 10-yard line

Punter?  

Like The mo hurst pick, don't like the heart issue/non issue. Is that the only reason he fell so far, or is there something else?  And I hate the injured cb, again.  Not the player, just that he's injured  

Punter?  

Like The mo hurst pick, don't like the heart issue/non issue. Is that the only reason he fell so far, or is there something else?  And I hate the injured cb, again.  Not the player, just that he's injured  
It's just the heart issue.  

Users who are viewing this thread