What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (4 Viewers)

â Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 8, 2018

#Lions DC Teryl Austin's situation just got interesting: As he negotiates a deal with the #Bengals, the #Raiders are making a push to hire him & give him an assistant head coach title to coach DBs. Oakland hoping for an uber staff for Jon Gruden.

I'm not sure that Gruden is such a great hire. One weird aspect is that the Raiders still have a year in Oakland. That's usually a down year for transitioning franchises. I'm also not convinced Gruden wants to totally do this. He almost got called out into it plus the $$$. He's almost more character than coach at this point, shades of Ditka IMO, though obviously they are/were worlds apart in terms of tradecraft.

I'm not sure that Gruden is such a great hire. One weird aspect is that the Raiders still have a year in Oakland. That's usually a down year for transitioning franchises. I'm also not convinced Gruden wants to totally do this. He almost got called out into it plus the $$$. He's almost more character than coach at this point, shades of Ditka IMO, though obviously they are/were worlds apart in terms of tradecraft.
This is not an aspect I'd be worried for at all. 

Yes, Gruden comes off as a little schticky on air, but he's a broadcaster playing for ratings. This seems (unfortunately) a natural aspect of anyone in modern American media where style means more than substance. He's selling, not coaching.

I think you'll see a hard return to the Chucky we all know and love once he dons that coaching visor again.

Now, can Chucky bring us back to the glory of '76, '80, and '83 (as well as '67, '02, etc)? That is a valid concern. It's a gamble, but one I'd make any day. You know me, I'm normally a glass-half-full guy, and I do believe that Gruden has spent way more time watching tape on NFL and college games than other broadcasters, and count me with the others that think the countless production meetings with other HCs and players only lends him that much more insight in this HC position now.

Chaka said:
I would have liked to see them at least interview guys like Terryl Austin and Vic Fangio for the DC job before handing it to Guenther.
We don't know that they didn't, or more importantly that Gruden didn't.  With hiring of Gruden out of the broadcast booth he was able to contact any an all current coaches that he was interested in hiring to his staff.  Because he wasn't a part of the Raiders organization it wasn't considered tampering.   So the process could (and likely did) remain much more private then an established coach trying to bring in a new assistant.  

Gruden could have named his half-sister and her long lost cousin as OC and DC for all I care.   I'm confident that he has a plan on what he wants to build, understands the talent that the Raiders have available, and for damn sure has a better idea of how to implement that than I do.   I'm excited about the hire, and willing to watch without judgement on how he starts to work his plan.  

Overall Guenther's defenses have done very well statistically. It is debatable whether the Raiders offer a talent upgrade, but let's see what the offseason has in store.

My early preferences for the draft are R. Smith in Rd1 and Sony Mitchel in Rd2.

Smith would immediately improve the defense team speed and FINALLY offer a solution to covering backs and TEs. 

Mitchel has the ability to offer the same kind of production Charlie Garner had under Gruden in his previous stint with the Raiders.

Honestly I don't care who the coaches are and how much they're being paid as long as they give this team an identity and start winning consistently. 

I see Gruden and Gannon turning Carr into a Gannon clone. Dinking and dunking and striking deep when the opportunity presents itself. Olson's role, I'm not so sure of. I am sure he probably has gained some good experience under McVey developing Goff. We'll See how it plays out.

Defensively, I would not be surprised at all if there are two new starting corners next season, one of them hopefully Conley. And a revamped LB and DT units.

I like the idea of drafting R. Smith and Michel like someone mentioned previously. Those two immediately add explosiveness to both sides of the ball. 

Chaka said:
I would have liked to see them at least interview guys like Terryl Austin and Vic Fangio for the DC job before handing it to Guenther.
I love Gruden. He'll be great entertainment. He can BS with the best of them and he'll be great to watch on the sidelines. No doubt they'll be prepared every game in 2018, unlike 2017, and they won't come out flat often, if at all.
But from his OC and DC hires to his referencing the tuck rule, I'm afraid he's living in the past. Olson was terrible his first go-around tho there is some solace Gruden will call the plays. Choosing him smacks of familiarity.
DC call was a "meh" one and again reeks of familiarity. I'd have loved to seen Pagano get a full year with better players.

Gruden will go as far as Carr can get him...and I'm not sure how well they're gonna work together. Gruden can be hell on QBs and I'm not sure Carr has the personality or mentality that will thrive with Gruden on his ### so much of the time.

Or maybe he'll go as far as Connor Cook can get him. Before the 2016 draft:
"He's gonna be I think perhaps the best quarterback in the draft."
"I'm a big believer in body of work, and Connor Cook's body of work at the college level is as good as anyone in this draft and in many drafts that I've seen in recent years. He's 34-5. He beat five top 10 teams. He's the all-time leading passer at Michigan State.''
"I love the system of football that kid comes from. He's not completing a bunch of pop screens and bubble screens and quick screens like all these other quarterbacks. He's coming out of the huddle and ripping it down the field. Is he perfect? No. But I really like his body of work."
"I like the degree of difficulty he thrives under. He brought his team back to win six times. ... He's the MVP of the Rose Bowl. I saw what he did in the Cotton Bowl, and he played through some injuries (his senior year), helping Michigan State once again to another Big Ten championship. He's 6-foot-4, over 220 pounds. I really like him at the top of this draft, given all the other prospects that I've studied."
And from Cook's time at Gruden's QB camp:
"My old boss in Oakland, he would say 'Let's take that kid Cook at Michigan State.'"
"How the hell are you not the first pick in this draft? I'm reading all my reports, they got you ranked as the fifth, sixth quarterback. What's wrong with you?"
"Your mentality playing the quarterback position is different than any kid I've had in here in three years."

Gruden will go as far as Carr can get him...and I'm not sure how well they're gonna work together. Gruden can be hell on QBs and I'm not sure Carr has the personality or mentality that will thrive with Gruden on his ### so much of the time.

Or maybe he'll go as far as Connor Cook can get him. Before the 2016 draft:
"He's gonna be I think perhaps the best quarterback in the draft."
"I'm a big believer in body of work, and Connor Cook's body of work at the college level is as good as anyone in this draft and in many drafts that I've seen in recent years. He's 34-5. He beat five top 10 teams. He's the all-time leading passer at Michigan State.''
"I love the system of football that kid comes from. He's not completing a bunch of pop screens and bubble screens and quick screens like all these other quarterbacks. He's coming out of the huddle and ripping it down the field. Is he perfect? No. But I really like his body of work."
"I like the degree of difficulty he thrives under. He brought his team back to win six times. ... He's the MVP of the Rose Bowl. I saw what he did in the Cotton Bowl, and he played through some injuries (his senior year), helping Michigan State once again to another Big Ten championship. He's 6-foot-4, over 220 pounds. I really like him at the top of this draft, given all the other prospects that I've studied."
And from Cook's time at Gruden's QB camp:
"My old boss in Oakland, he would say 'Let's take that kid Cook at Michigan State.'"
"How the hell are you not the first pick in this draft? I'm reading all my reports, they got you ranked as the fifth, sixth quarterback. What's wrong with you?"
"Your mentality playing the quarterback position is different than any kid I've had in here in three years."
Will be interesting to see how Gruden feels about Cook once he sees him actually in the NFL.   

The great ones loved to be challenged and they respond to the challenge. If Carr wilts then he isn’t who we thought he was. My bet, Carr responds and reaches his potential. 

Watched most of the Gruden QB Camp with Carr. I've never watched more than 2 minutes of any other but for those who have watched that show I was wondering: do all the QBs they invite onto that show bring a notebook and take notes during their conversations with Gruden? Seemed like an awesome "student of the game", "live eat sleep football" kind of move by Carr, but didn't know if all the rookie QBs do that on the show so I shouldn't be so impressed with Carr because of it. 

Could care less about whether Gannon joins as QB coach. In fact, I think -- judging by what I've seen Gannon say and his tone while saying it -- that like @Bruno2 said, there could be a danger that Gannon would try to mold Carr into what Gannon thinks the right model for a QB can be (i.e. him) rather than start from his talents and work from there. Gannon was fantastic, loved him as a Raider and definitely a successful QB -- but too often he strikes me as a bitter @$$ (e.g. "I'd be in teh HOF and have SB wins if I had Gruden as a coach longer.") I do think, however, that Gannon is on to something about ensuring Carr makes sure everyone else is as precise to detail and execution as the team's leader. Maybe less Jesus, more team accountability and focus?

And I'm getting tired of all the "Carr better step up his game" or "Carr may not be able to hack Gruden's style" or that Cook might be a better fit for Gruden. There is nothing -- nothing -- from what I've seen from Carr coming out of college and in his NFL career so far, that shows me that he's a wilting lily under pressure, can't handle scrutiny or the pressure of ever-raising the bar, or that he won't rise to any challenge -- whether ones the game or his coach put on his shoulders. Carr doesn't deserve that talk. 

I think Gruden loves what he sees in Carr - a guy who will take on the leadership and own every bit of driving towards a championship that this team, with its talent, should absolutely be in the hunt for without excuses. A guy who isn't just an executor of the plays called into the sidelines, but someone who can think, adjust, and react pre- and post-snap (something Carr absolutely did in college and wasn't able to do under JDR/Downing's game calling). I think Gruden is licking his chops at the dynamic offense a guy like Carr can produce for him.

Time as always will tell -- but I have no reason think this team can't be successful with Gruden and Carr right now.

A contrarian POV:

The beginning of AC/DC’s Hell’s Bells plays as the video stops and Davis, borrowing a line from America’s former vice president when he helped passed a bill providing healthcare for all Americans, said, “This is a big f-ing deal,” before introducing Gruden to the stage.

For some people out there, this might have registered as a cool moment. Hey, Jon Gruden is back! Chucky! That's cool! He won a Super Bowl, right? 

For others, it felt not like a dream come true, but a dream that occurs during an accidental overdose of cold medicine. Here is a fine football coach who works at the craft, but spent the final three years of his career middling through a 22–26 record with no playoff victories being deified like a cryogenically preserved Vince Lombardi.

If that was more your reaction, feel free to read on. These are the five most insane moments from Jon Gruden’s introductory press conference:

1. Jon Gruden says he isn’t really sure what the terms of his contract are: “I don’t really know the terms, all I know is that this year I’ll be coaching in Oakland and next year I’ll be coaching in Oakland,” he said.

This has to be flat-out untrue. This man isn’t really sure he’s guaranteed $100 million over the next 10 years of his life? Gruden said that he returned for four reasons: he loves football, he loves Oakland, he loves the Raiders and he loves to win. Yes, that—and one owner’s willingness to literally empty the club’s emergency coffer to pay him more than any head coach in the NFL.

Davis went into some meandering explanation about how there’s no salary cap for coaches, but in staging an event like this, why sidestep the fact that you just made such a gargantuan commitment? Why sweep it under the rug like it’s something we shouldn’t be talking about? No, you’re right. Let's move on with the NFL’s equivalent of a Guns N’ Roses reunion tour.

2. If you watched on ESPN, the cameras on site seemed to be struggling with focus issues and, for a few minutes, shakiness as well. It gave the press conference the feel of something taped secretly by an undercover journalist stashing their VHS recorder inside a trench coat, and it was … appropriate? It probably matched the dystopian vibe around the league. Coaches who have been grinding for the past 10 years, even coaches who have been to more Super Bowls in that time but make half as much, had to be watching this wondering what kind of profession they’ve gotten themselves into.

Football has always been a bit nepotistic, but the cream tends to rise to the top. Imagine how much money John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin and Mike McCarthy would be worth if they just acted like a football’s Guy Fieri for three hours a week on television? We now live in a world devoid of critical-thinking skills. We get soldthings. Herm Edwards was a fine football coach, but should he be in charge of a college football program at age 63, 10 years after he last held the title of head coach? LaVar Ball used to play basketball, but should he be manipulating a professional Lithuanian team with his 16-year-old son?

3. “Technology is incredible”: Gruden says he plans to have conversations with his players about various social media platforms that were invented largely after he left coaching. Facebook was just four years old when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers parted ways with him. Twitter was two years old, Instagram wouldn’t be invented for another two years and Snapchat for another three. It opened the door for a strange few moments where I realized just how different the NFL has become since 2008. There is a new collective bargaining agreement that limits practice time. There is a salary cap jumping millions of dollars each year and a race for teams to figure out how to build a foundation not only through the draft, but also with in-prime 27- and 28-year-old players. There is a new crop of athletes who are used to vastly different forms of coaching. There have been massive strides made in the realm of health and safety. Jake Long, the player drafted No. 1 overall in Gruden’s final year with the Buccaneers, is now 32 and retired.

4. Jon Gruden has never met Marshawn Lynch: Gruden says over the years, he’s requested the running back in production meetings, but Lynch has never agreed. In that way, Gruden is cool. He’s just like the rest of us.

5. The Raiders are still pretending they’re above board in regards to the Rooney Rule: General manager Reggie McKenzie said he interviewed tight ends coach Bobby Johnson and USC offensive coordinator Tee Martin for the head coaching job before the club decided to hire Gruden.

Who actually believes that Davis, who talked about this being a dream come true, who recalled many instances of him traveling to Tampa to pick Gruden’s brain and hope that he’d one day come back to coaching, had to mull this one over? As Tony Dungy told me last week it’s the spirit of the Rooney Rule that is under attack more than anything else.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/09/jon-gruden-oakland-raiders-press-conference?utm_campaign=mmqb&utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2018011005AM

I'd much rather be discussing how the Del Rio-led Raiders were going to beat the Patriots in the playoffs, Carr for MVP. And how Norton and Dowling were being interviewed for HC vacancies around the league. But it all fell apart. Where does an organization like the Raiders, with the largest fan base in the world go from here? From Davis's point of view, I get it, he has to make a splash hire. Hiring Nagy, Patricia or another promising assistant, no matter how deserving they are would not have been enough to excite the average fan. Davis wants a circus, he needs the Raiders on the front page, they're heading to Vegas for crying out loud. 

Will Gruden make the Raiders relevant again? Who knows, it's all speculation right now. But I can say this. Gruden has not been hiding under a rock the past 9 years. Just like the league has changed and grown over the years, I have to believe, so has Gruden. 

When it comes to Carr, anyone who thinks he's going to wilt under the pressure of Gruden/Gannon coaching style is a fool and knows nothing about the type of person Derek Carr is. When I said they would turn him into a "Gannon clone" I meant it in a positive way. When Gannon was on, he was precision personified and would pick a defense apart short pass by short pass. They are going to break Carr down and re-train him how to prepare, how to be meticulous, how to read defenses quicker, study film etc, etc. Derek will be all in, just like Gruden, I'm not worried about that at all. 

@32 Counter Pass, solid post. Agree with #1 and #2. I think they were just trying -- and failing -- to be coy about divulging any specific terms, and I think they have the right to be coy outside of any specifically mandated transparency there is around coaches' deals in the NFL. No way anyone, let alone Gruden who had such a lucrative and cushy broadcasting deal, would walk away from a current gig without knowing exactly what they are getting in return.

No question Gruden's star is shinier given the limelight and platform he has had in broadcasting. The passage of time smooths rough edges in perception. And no question Gruden has a lot to prove -- specifically that he can coach a team to playoff/championship caliber after not being in the game for so long. But I think he knows (and more importantly embraces) it.

Not sure the point of #3 #4 as it relates to Gruden specifically. It is a vastly different world than when he left coaching. But that seemed to be central to the very point he was making, IMO. And not having met Lynch isn't insane, it's probably the same experience every broadcaster has, given the strange bird Lynch is, with his aversion to media, production meetings, etc. 

For the final point, I don't think the Raiders are the only ones who may simply give lip service to the Rooney Rule when they are pursuing the guy they really want. Raiders don't get a pass on this at all, but given history and present org, I think the Raiders have done more for and towards the spirit of the Rooney rule than a lot of other teams. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have to laugh...the only people with an issue with what the RAIDERS are doing are people outside of the organization ...like they know more than the people in charge ....this always mystifies me.

Rich Gannon - QB - Free Agent

Rich Gannon won't join Jon Gruden's coaching staff in Oakland.

He was a leading candidate to be the team's QBs coach, but had a change of heart on his flight to Oakland earlier this week. Gannon told The Game 95.7 that he didn't think he could match Gruden's intensity and wasn't sure he could commit to a full-time position. With the former MVP bowing out, the Raiders could opt not to hire a QBs coach. Gannon has provided color commentary for NFL games on CBS since his retirement in 2005.

Bruno2 said:
I'd much rather be discussing how the Del Rio-led Raiders were going to beat the Patriots in the playoffs, Carr for MVP. And how Norton and Dowling were being interviewed for HC vacancies around the league. But it all fell apart. Where does an organization like the Raiders, with the largest fan base in the world go from here? From Davis's point of view, I get it, he has to make a splash hire. Hiring Nagy, Patricia or another promising assistant, no matter how deserving they are would not have been enough to excite the average fan. Davis wants a circus, he needs the Raiders on the front page, they're heading to Vegas for crying out loud. 

Will Gruden make the Raiders relevant again? Who knows, it's all speculation right now. But I can say this. Gruden has not been hiding under a rock the past 9 years. Just like the league has changed and grown over the years, I have to believe, so has Gruden. 

When it comes to Carr, anyone who thinks he's going to wilt under the pressure of Gruden/Gannon coaching style is a fool and knows nothing about the type of person Derek Carr is. When I said they would turn him into a "Gannon clone" I meant it in a positive way. When Gannon was on, he was precision personified and would pick a defense apart short pass by short pass. They are going to break Carr down and re-train him how to prepare, how to be meticulous, how to read defenses quicker, study film etc, etc. Derek will be all in, just like Gruden, I'm not worried about that at all. 
Largest fan base in the world? Lol, no North American team is even in the conversation.

Rich Gannon - QB - Free Agent

Rich Gannon won't join Jon Gruden's coaching staff in Oakland.

He was a leading candidate to be the team's QBs coach, but had a change of heart on his flight to Oakland earlier this week. Gannon told The Game 95.7 that he didn't think he could match Gruden's intensity and wasn't sure he could commit to a full-time position. With the former MVP bowing out, the Raiders could opt not to hire a QBs coach. Gannon has provided color commentary for NFL games on CBS since his retirement in 2005.
If there’s one thing many of the Raiders’ alumni shared when discussing what it was like playing for Gruden, it was his ability to bring the best out in them.

Prior to joining the team in 1999, former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon had never been named to a Pro Bowl or First-Team All-Pro, but Gruden helped him get there. In four consecutive seasons (1999-2002) No. 12 was a Pro Bowler, and helped the Silver and Black reach levels the team hadn’t been able to achieve in years.

“I just think the belief was really important,” said Gannon. “I had never really had someone who believed in me enough to hand me the keys to the car. Believed in me enough to bring me in to Oakland, and say, ‘you’re our quarterback.’ As much as I liked playing in Kansas City, or even Minnesota, no one really had that conversation with me, or that commitment. Jon really stuck his neck out for me.”

Mark Davis is right.  This is a big ####### deal.

The Gruden critics are coming out of the woodwork; some with football concerns and others completely off the map on tangents.

Gruden was a huge success during his first round in Oakland.  Let's just put that on the shelf but also be respectful of it.

The Bucs gave Gruden Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jeff Garcia.  Five QBs in 7 years.  The Raiders just gave him Derek Carr.

The Bucs gave Gruden a talented but aging defense.  That same defense became a salary cap burden in Gruden's first 36 months in Tampa.  The Raiders just gave Gruden a defensive player of the year just ending his rookie contract.

The Bucs gave Gruden the worst compliment to an aging roster with cap issues; a complete disregard for draft picks by trading two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks for a coach.  That's a roster with clear needs for succession planning and no picks until the 3rd round for two years.  The Raiders just gave Gruden a GM that treats picks like gold and looks toward the future.

Gruden will have the Raiders back in the playoffs his first year.

The Gruden critics are coming out of the woodwork; some with football concerns and others completely off the map on tangents.

Gruden was a huge success during his first round in Oakland.  Let's just put that on the shelf but also be respectful of it.

The Bucs gave Gruden Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jeff Garcia.  Five QBs in 7 years.  The Raiders just gave him Derek Carr.

The Bucs gave Gruden a talented but aging defense.  That same defense became a salary cap burden in Gruden's first 36 months in Tampa.  The Raiders just gave Gruden a defensive player of the year just ending his rookie contract.

The Bucs gave Gruden the worst compliment to an aging roster with cap issues; a complete disregard for draft picks by trading two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks for a coach.  That's a roster with clear needs for succession planning and no picks until the 3rd round for two years.  The Raiders just gave Gruden a GM that treats picks like gold and looks toward the future.

Nice post.

You just got me so pumped up to wish the draft was next week and the pre-Season started the week after. 

Watched most of the Gruden QB Camp with Carr. I've never watched more than 2 minutes of any other but for those who have watched that show I was wondering: do all the QBs they invite onto that show bring a notebook and take notes during their conversations with Gruden? Seemed like an awesome "student of the game", "live eat sleep football" kind of move by Carr, but didn't know if all the rookie QBs do that on the show so I shouldn't be so impressed with Carr because of it. 
Anyone?

I don’t know, but if you watch the beginning of a couple other episides you can answer your own question. BTW, I was impressed by him bringing the note book as well. And Gruden saying “Let’s go win some championships.” Prophecy? :D

Well said.  It's definitely a glass-half-full perspective but it feels pretty spot on.

The only question is if Gruden still has "IT", personally I don't see why he wouldn't and this has a bit of a Vermeil 2.0 feel to it.

Thanks, man. 
I honestly can't verify that but it wasn't anything that I noted as remarkable or unique to Carr. 

I could absolutely be wrong. In fact something like that could be a test by Gruden to see how prospects view the experience (legit scouting interview/test vs publicity opportunity).

Oakland loses another home game.  They will face Seattle in London at the Tottenham Hotspur on October 14.

The talk about Gruden being out of the coaching for 9 years is just silly.

First, Gruden has never left the game. He has been intimately involved with it even after leaving TB. He also didn't approach his 'cushy' job as an announcer the same way as others have and is the reason why they would never leave the booth- he tackled it with the same kind of prep work and passion he is known for.

He continually updated his playbook adding and tweaking plays as he saw fit and stealing from the college and pro ranks on things he liked.

To give you an idea, here is an article a couple of years ago that gives a good glimpse into his 9 years from coaching... Inside Jon Grudens Maniacal Obsession with Football

To give you an idea, here is an article a couple of years ago that gives a good glimpse into his 9 years from coaching... Inside Jon Grudens Maniacal Obsession with Football
Great article He is insatiable when it comes to football.
"This is all NFL footage, broken down and carefully placed," he says. "...I'm working on these. Missed tackles.."
I'm betting 90% of that is Raiders stuff.

And further on... "
"Cook took Gruden's cell number and said he would call. Gruden says he wants to have Cook play in his offense. 'I make noises when I watch Connor Cook,' he says."
No doubt Carr is going to be Project 1A for Gruden. But I don't think there's any doubt Cook is gonna be 1B. Gruden will take a good long look at Cook in training camp and preseason games, much longer than another head coach would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article He is insatiable when it comes to football.
"This is all NFL footage, broken down and carefully placed," he says. "...I'm working on these. Missed tackles.."
I'm betting 90% of that is Raiders stuff.

And further on... "
"Cook took Gruden's cell number and said he would call. Gruden says he wants to have Cook play in his offense. 'I make noises when I watch Connor Cook,' he says."
No doubt Carr is going to be Project 1A for Gruden. But I don't think there's any doubt Cook is gonna be 1B. Gruden will take a good long look at Cook in training camp and preseason games, much longer than another head coach would.
I agree about Cook. I know Gruden likes everyone but he really seemed to like Cook during the Gruden QB Camp. I can see Cook improving a lot under Gruden and even if the Raiders don't use Cook themselves because of Carr they can possibly flip him for a 1st round pick in the future.

I think the brakes need to be pumped on this Connor Cook talk.  If he plays for the Raiders that means Carr got hurt or something went horribly wrong.  And as far as trading him for anything of significant value.....we're talking about a guy that couldn't beat out EJ Manuel for the backup job last year.

I think the brakes need to be pumped on this Connor Cook talk.  If he plays for the Raiders that means Carr got hurt or something went horribly wrong.  And as far as trading him for anything of significant value.....we're talking about a guy that couldn't beat out EJ Manuel for the backup job last year.
Ok, I am with you on the braking part but EJ had tons of playing experience over him. I don't think you can knock him like that because they had EJ. I think alot of the younger QB's end up higher on the depth chart more out of hopes than deserving. With Carr there was no reason for hope but rather wanting to have someone to come in and play decently if Carr got hurt. 

Like the DB coach hire. THAT one shows some imagination and creativity, unlike the OC and DC hires. Give a guy a shot with a unit who has been absolutely miserable for as long as my short-term memory can recall.

Someone here, I think, or maybe it was a columnist said if Al Davis could admit what his biggest mistake was, it would be firing Jon Gruden. I thought, "Well, that makes sense."

But I'd forgotten...what about Mike Shanahan? Sure, he seemed ill-fit to coach the Raiders at the time with his no-nonsense style (I remember the silly no sitting on your helmet edict). Shananhan only got 1.5 years with Davis, then went 138-86 with the Elway-led Donkeys and two Super Bowls. Shanahan improved the team from 5-10 to 7-9 his first year and then for some reason (somebody will have to refresh my memory) was canned only four games into the next season.

THAT might have been a bigger mistake.

BTW...does Gruden let players sit on their helmets?

Does anybody remember this? :D

To open that ’94 season, the 49ers hosted the Raiders at Candlestick Park on a Monday night, and with the elder Shanahan at the play-calling controls, San Francisco throttled the Raiders (playing their final season in Los Angeles) 44-14 with the entire country watching. Rice caught three touchdown passes from quarterback Steve Young and broke Jim Brown’s all-time touchdown record in the process.

The highlight from that night, however, didn’t make it to the telecast. Before the game, as he was wont to do, Davis prowled the sideline in his customary all-white garb. As detailed gloriously in Gary Myers’ 2012 book, “Coaching Confidential: Inside The Fraternity of NFL Coaches,” Davis walked out onto the 49ers’ side of the field and gave a long, intimidating glare at their offensive players as they were warming up.

Shanahan, spotting Davis, knew he was trying to distract Young and the 49ers’ offensive unit. It was working, too. Hence, as warmups were winding down, Shanahan told Young, “Throw a go route. If you happen to hit that guy in the white outfit with the ball, you won’t make me mad.”

Young fired his most perfect pass of the night — and it sailed right at Davis’ head. Rice, the receiver, was going full bore after it. Davis, meanwhile, had turned his head briefly and didn’t see either the ball or Rice coming.

“Oh, my God,” said Shanahan, as told in Myers’ book account. “I wanted to scare him. I didn’t want to kill him. Then Al realizes that the ball and everybody is coming at him about five yards before there is going to be contact. I think he’s going to be run over. And he dives; he actually dives out of the way. Well, half of our players see what happens, and they are all laughing.”

As the story goes, Davis subsequently got up, brushed himself off and promptly saluted Shanahan, Young and Co. with his middle finger.

Ten years later, Davis crossed paths with Young at an NFL function and accused him of throwing at him. Young confessed he was so ashamed he wrote Al a letter of apology.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/12/steward/

Did they really just hire Tom Cable again, or is this just a lucid nightmare from the substances not wearing off from last night?

Forget the PR risk of hiring a domestic abuser for a second - though I wish we had a higher standard. We’re supposed to be raising the bar and upgrading everywhere, on the field and off, not going over the same tired and ineffective ground.

Per Football Outsiders, Cable’s o lines have never ranked higher than 20th in adjusted sack rate. 

Here’s hoping talent rises above coaching to keep Carr standing, and that Gruden resists going back to the zbs scheme that mired our team in mediocrity the last time around with Cable.

Lol. Thanks for reminding me. Too bad that near miss didn’t scare Davis out of the game. The team might have avoid 10 consecutive double digit losing seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread