What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (4 Viewers)

I'm surprised they didn't consider Iloka. He seems like they type of player they had hoped Obi could become someday. Plus he knows Guenthers system. 
I think I read somewhere that Iloka wanted to reunite with Zimmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obi always seems like a bad Al pick. Lots of great measurables but we kind of all knew it was a long shot that he was actually going to be good. Always my thoughts at least.

Can Mark Davis just go rogue and sign Eric Reid?

Key, Hurst and Hall.  Pretty stoked.  That holding call on Key was terrible, Key made a nice move, then slipped as he was bending the edge.  Can't wait for this team to play on a real surface.  

Hall has been a find. He's fun to watch.  

Overall preseason thoughts:

I'm can't believe this, but I am really excited about this defense.

Connor Cook has always been and continues to be an absolute disaster and EJ isn't a great deal better.

This D line is going to be an absolute strength of our D. Can’t help but wonder if they could be the best in the league if Mack comes back and the young guys keep it up. 

I find it it hard to believe that we're stick with these 2 QBs as our backups. I guess it’s not like there are any better options walking the streets right now (are there?) but man is it scary to see those 2 scrubs do absolutely nothing on O. 

I'm pretty stoked on the defense too. Even the new players in the secondary are making a difference. I'm not used to seeing so many contested passes, it's a nice change. It's good to watch the young LBs, Lee and Morrow growing up and playing well. Good for depth and special teams in the short term. Long term, Lee will probably end up taking over for Johnson. Nothing else to be said that hasn't been already about the youth on the Dline. I haven't been this excited about the front 7 as a whole in decades.

What are they gonna do at RB? I dont know how Warren can not make the team and I like Richard's role in Grudens offense. Could Washington be the odd man out due to injury? Good problem to have I guess.

Pharoah Brown, please cut him already! 

I'm pretty stoked on the defense too. Even the new players in the secondary are making a difference. I'm not used to seeing so many contested passes, it's a nice change. It's good to watch the young LBs, Lee and Morrow growing up and playing well. Good for depth and special teams in the short term. Long term, Lee will probably end up taking over for Johnson. Nothing else to be said that hasn't been already about the youth on the Dline. I haven't been this excited about the front 7 as a whole in decades.

What are they gonna do at RB? I dont know how Warren can not make the team and I like Richard's role in Grudens offense. Could Washington be the odd man out due to injury? Good problem to have I guess.

Pharoah Brown, please cut him already! 
RB...yeah I’m fine with cutting Washington. I've always liked the spark I’ve seen from Richard more than what I’ve seen from Washington. 

Not so sold on the DBs though. I hope a devastating rotation on the D line with constant pressure will make our DBs look better than I think they are. 

. Could Washington be the odd man out due to injury? Good problem to have I guess.
Yep - not just for injury, but for having a similar skill set to Richard, compared to whom Washington was always just slightly less versatile.

We need to keep Chris "The Future" Warren. Kid is a damned wrecking ball shot out of a cannon.

Yep - not just for injury, but for having a similar skill set to Richard, compared to whom Washington was always just slightly less versatile.

We need to keep Chris "The Future" Warren. Kid is a damned wrecking ball shot out of a cannon.
Agreed... I just know if Warren were cut someone would swoop him up before he could land on the practice squad.  There are plenty of teams who can use a big RB. Seattle, Denver, Washington and Buffalo just off the top of my head. He does seem to get stacked up when he goes horizontal or tries to pick out a hole. But man, when hes going north and south, get the eff outta the way!

I can't remember how his father ran. Was he a bruiser too? How badly did Texas screw up trying to make him a TE?

Agreed... I just know if Warren were cut someone would swoop him up before he could land on the practice squad.  There are plenty of teams who can use a big RB. Seattle, Denver, Washington and Buffalo just off the top of my head. He does seem to get stacked up when he goes horizontal or tries to pick out a hole. But man, when hes going north and south, get the eff outta the way!
Warren is a big boy but Rashaad Penny is 5'11" 220lbs and Royce Freeman is 6'0" 229lbs. Washington makes a lot of sense for any RB. Buffalo too.

I said earlier in the thread that the Raiders should be doing everything they can to trade a RB to Washington but they may just be waiting to see who gets cut because a reasonably talented back will get cut.

Key, Hurst and Hall.  Pretty stoked.  That holding call on Key was terrible, Key made a nice move, then slipped as he was bending the edge.  Can't wait for this team to play on a real surface.  

Hall has been a find. He's fun to watch.  
Love these three guys.    

I wasn't happy about the Hilton pick in the first round when Derwin James was on the board, but these rooks make up for it a bit.l   

Traded Switzer to Pittsburgh. Like that. I wonder if we were making calls trying to unload Roberts and the Steelers were like "no thanks, but is Switzer available?" Unsure of what we got.... but anything is better than cutting for nothing.

Traded Switzer to Pittsburgh. Like that. I wonder if we were making calls trying to unload Roberts and the Steelers were like "no thanks, but is Switzer available?" Unsure of what we got.... but anything is better than cutting for nothing.
Not sure how I feel about that. Thought he was having a good camp. Looks like Griff will be returning punts..

We got a fifth in return for him and our sixth. 

Not sure how I feel about that. Thought he was having a good camp. Looks like Griff will be returning punts..
Not sure how I feel about that either since we never saw Switzer play and I have wanted a true slot WR in Oakland for years.  But, a 5th round pick sounds nice and the Raiders have a pretty deep WR corp. 

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The Oakland Raiders have signed free agents CB Jarell Carterand DT Connor Flagel, the club announced Monday.

Carter joins the Raiders after spending his rookie season on the Arizona Cardinals’ practice squad after signing with the club as an undrafted free agent. A four-year player at Trinity International (2013-16), the 5-foot-10, 196-pound cornerback appeared in 36 games and made 31 starts, recording 156 tackles (85 solo), 0.5 sacks, six interceptions, 28 passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery, earning NCCAA All-American honors twice.

Flagel was originally signed by the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent out of Central Missouri. The 6-foot-5, 296-pound defensive end appeared in 35 contests and made 33 starts during his three seasons with the Mules, totaling 111 tackles, including 10 for loss, 4.5 sacks, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries.

In corresponding moves, the Raiders have released T Breno Giacomini and placed WR Griff Whalen on the Reserve/Injured List, both of whom signed to the club as free agents this past March.

Giacomini, entering his 11th season in the NFL, has appeared in 94 total games and made 86 starts. Since being drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft, he has also spent time with the Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets and Houston Texans.

Whalen totaled four receptions for 44 yards and a touchdown in exhibition play for the club this preseason, adding four punt returns for 46 yards and two kickoff returns for 45 yards. His career totals include 43 games played with three starts, registering 51 receptions for 532 yards and three touchdowns.
More moves. I find it interesting that they made the move of Switzer with Whalen hobbled. I think that tells us that A) Switzer was on the losing side of the bubble. Being beat out by Harris for return duty and happy with the depth at WR that Switzer didn't have room and B) Whalen may not be the reason for either. 

Giacomini just strengthens what we already know. First, he isn't very good and a poor band aid. Second, they have a lot of faith  in Kolton Miller at LT and Penn at RT since we get real thin real fast at T after that. Here is hoping for healthy years from Miller and Penn. 

Who is getting cut?

It is kind of odd. I am expecting some real hard decisions for DL here. Keep 10? At the cost of what position? 

Assume Mack back. 

I think we can consider these guys safe....

Carradine, Edwards, Ellis, Brown, Hall, Hurst, and Key. 

That is 8 already. 

So... bubble....

Rucker, Hester, Soto, Calhoun, Vanderdoes, and Wright. 

DB and RB are the other positions where there are some decisions to be made. 

RB, we know we are keeping Lynch. Martin seems safe. Warren has been a beast running the ball but needs to improve in everything without the ball. Richard and Washington? Butler will be gone. But those last three. Yikes. 

DB, we know Melvin, Gilchrist, Conley and Joseph aren't going anywhere. After that, I wouldn't bet on anything. Worley has been putting in good work from what I hear. Nick Nelson too and he is young. The old guys keeping up? DRC, Reggie Nelson, Hall? McDonald, Wright, Luani, Mauger, Leavitt, Hamilton, Pringle, David... all gone- right?

I wouldn't be surprised to see us cut EJ for a QB that gets cut that we may want to take a run at. He sure hasn't looked good not as Cook but I would bet Cook is given a reprieve for one more year. 

Levi Damien's roster predictions, with my adjustments as strikethroughs...

Quarterbacks

In: Derek Carr, EJ Manuel, Connor Cook

Out: N/A

Running backs

In: Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Jalen Richard, Keith Smith (FB), Chris Warren III

Out: Chris Warren III, DeAndre Washington, James Butler, Ryan Yurachek

Wide receivers

In: Amari Cooper, Jordy Nelson, Martavis Bryant, Ryan Switzer, Dwayne Harris, Marcell Ateman, Seth Roberts

Out: Seth Roberts (trade?), Johnny Holton, Griff Whalen, Keon Hatcher, Isaac Whitney, Saeed Blacknall

Tight ends

In: Lee Smith, Jared Cook, Derek Carrier

Out: Paul Butler, Pharaoh Brown, Marcus Baugh

Offensive linemen

In: Donald Penn, Kelechi Osemele, Rodney Hudson, Gabe Jackson, Kolton Miller, Jon Feliciano, David Sharpe, Brandon Parker, Jordan Simmons

Out: Breno Giacomini (IR), Jylan Ware, Ian Silberman, Denver Kirkland, Oday Aboushi, James Stone, Cameron Hunt

Defensive linemen

In: Khalil Mack, Bruce Irvin, Mario Edwards Jr, Justin Ellis, Maurice Hurst, PJ Hall, Arden Key, Tank Carradine, Shilique Calhoun, Treyvon Hester, Fadol Brown

Out: Eddie Vanderdoes (IR), Treyvon Hester, Fadol Brown, Frostee Rucker, Gabe Wright, Shakir Soto

Linebackers

In: Tahir Whitehead, Derrick Johnson, Emmanuel Lamur, Marquel Lee, Nicholas Morrow, Kyle Wilber, James Cowser

Out: James Cowser, Azeem Victor, Jason Cabinda

Cornerbacks

In: Gareon Conley, Rashaan Melvin, Nick Nelson, Daryl Worley, Antonio Hamilton

Out: Leon Hall, Shareece Wright, Dexter McDonald, Raysean Pringle, Antwuan Davis

Safeties

In: Reggie Nelson, Karl Joseph, Marcus Gilchrist, Erik Harris, Shalom Luani, Rodgers-Cromartie

Out: Obi Melifonwu (IR), Quincy Mauger, Dallin Leavitt,

Special teamers

In: Eddy Pineiro, Johnny Townsend, Andrew DaPaolo, Mike Nugent

Out: Mike Nugent

Practice squad

RB Chris Warren III, Eddie Pineiro

WR Johnny Holton

TE Paul Butler

OL Ian Silberman

OL Denver Kirkland

DE Fadol Brown, Jylan Ware

DT Treyvon Hester, Saeed Blacknall

LB James Cowser

LB Azeem Victor

S Dallin Leavitt

LawFitz said:
Levi Damien's roster predictions, with my adjustments as strikethroughs...
Hester and Brown over Edwards? The rest even if I would disagree, I couldn't disagree too much... but this? I can't see this.

Hester and Brown over Edwards? The rest even if I would disagree, I couldn't disagree too much... but this? I can't see this.
I wouldn't be shocked if Gruden doesn't do some more wheeling and dealing closer to cut down day to turn some of the surplus at certain positions into more picks.

Unless they can make a trade, Eddie V goes to IR maybe come back. 

Edwards needs to be nervous.

Those corners look solid to me.

Crowder vs. Victor is a convo.

I wonder if Obi would come back down the line after injury settlement.

Chris Warren might be practice squad. Which would be a good spot, he had to think his chances next year would be great.

I give credit to the random Redditor for this thought that kept my conspiracy-seeking brain up all night:

What if -- just what if -- the long, protracted, drawn out contract negotiation with Aaron Donald was simply a ploy to prevent Mack from signing with enough time to play Week 1...against those very same Rams.

:ph34r:

My buddy in Vegas got season tix, and shared this image of what his view should look like:

Pretty Cool

I'm planning on flying out a few times a year, I play the credit card points game pretty well, and should be able to catch 3 or 4 games a year for free.  

Random thought... What if Arden Key ends up being a 10 sack a year guy? Would they trade Mack for a boatload of picks if that's the case? Key at a fraction of the cost (for a couple years anyway), 10+ sacks off the edge is still 10+ sacks no matter who's getting them.

Broke ### Mark Davis needs to sell this team, or take out a loan to pay Mack.  

Generational talents at defensive line do not come along every day. That’s why they call them “generational talent”

This is just stupid. No one on defense should have to play on a “show me“ contract after the numbers he’s put up. 

Pay the man. End this stupidity. 

The Raiders would be fools to trade him now. They have all the leverage, especially now that we've seen how talented their front is even without him. Between Key, Irvin, Brown and the two mini Aaron Donalds, they'll be just fine thanks to Gruden and Guenther's actual modern defensive scheme. Mack can holdout until late season if he likes. That's when injury attrition will likely be in play and they'll need him them most anyway. No way he sits out the whole year as his contract would toll and no way he comes in out of shape or he'd lose leverage for future negotiations. Sit out as long as you like, Khalil. We'll use your millies to pay Giacomino to sit on his couch. I firmly believe this is what Gruden is thinking and I agree with him 100000000%. Zero need for panic.

Generational talents at defensive line do not come along every day. That’s why they call them “generational talent”

This is just stupid. No one on defense should have to play on a “show me“ contract after the numbers he’s put up. 

Belichick would NEVER pay Mack the money he's demanding. The Raiders want to make Khalil the highest paid edge player in the league. He reportely wants up to 30% above that figure. Who is the one being stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:

It looks even worse now that the Giants stepped up and paid the head case OBJ.  The Raiders better be toying with the media and be communicating with Mack working towards a contract.   This is the best draft pick and best player on the team since....well, since a long time.   

The Raiders would be fools to trade him now. They have all the leverage, especially now that we've seen how talented their front is even without him. Between Key, Irvin, Brown and the two mini Aaron Donalds, they'll be just fine thanks to Gruden and Guenther's actual modern defensive scheme. Mack can holdout until late season if he likes. That's when injury attrition will likely be in play and they'll need him them most anyway. No way he sits out the whole year as his contract would toll and no way he comes in out of shape or he'd lose leverage for future negotiations. Sit out as long as you like, Khalil. We'll use your millies to pay Giacomino to sit on his couch. I firmly believe this is what Gruden is thinking and I agree with him 100000000%. Zero need for panic.
Agree partly. Your math is right. 

Your “just fine without him” is not. 

Theyll be “just fine” in the sense that they can field a somewhat competent defense without him. 

They will absolutely be worse without him though. He’s a QB pressuring machine. I’d say every game he’s out they have a 15% reduction in their chances of winning.

they should pay him. 

Agree partly. Your math is right. 

Your “just fine without him” is not. 

Theyll be “just fine” in the sense that they can field a somewhat competent defense without him. 

They will absolutely be worse without him though. He’s a QB pressuring machine. I’d say every game he’s out they have a 15% reduction in their chances of winning.

they should pay him. 
I agree they should pay him a slight bump over Von Miller, to be the highest paid edge in the league. He supposedly wants 30% above that. It's B.S. man. No (non-QB) player is worth blowing up your future roster completely. Not even Mack.

Belichick would NEVER pay Mack the money he's demanding. The Raiders want to make Khalil the highest paid edge player in the league. He reportely wants up to 30% above that figure. Who is the one being stupid?
Mark Davis. 

The raiders front office.

i don’t care what Belichick would do. They dealt Garaopolo & kept old AF Tom Brady, so I’m not sure the Pats are a beacon of competence to point to right now. 

And it’s irrelevant to whether or not the Raiders should pay arguably the best defensive lineman in the NFL - a disruptive force who terrorizes opposing QBs - and creates turnovers and points at a spectacular rate. 

That’s a man you pay. To trade him or let him hold out is stupid. Mark Davis, Raiders FO & maybe even Gruden are stupid here, to answer your question. Literally anyone in the Raiders org saying “nah, we don’t need that guy. Don’t pay him” is stupid.

every team needs that guy. 

Mark Davis. 

The raiders front office.

i don’t care what Belichick would do. They dealt Garaopolo & kept old AF Tom Brady, so I’m not sure the Pats are a beacon of competence to point to right now. 

And it’s irrelevant to whether or not the Raiders should pay arguably the best defensive lineman in the NFL - a disruptive force who terrorizes opposing QBs - and creates turnovers and points at a spectacular rate. 

That’s a man you pay. To trade him or let him hold out is stupid. Mark Davis, Raiders FO & maybe even Gruden are stupid here, to answer your question. Literally anyone in the Raiders org saying “nah, we don’t need that guy. Don’t pay him” is stupid.

every team needs that guy. 
Nah, they're being smart IMO. Latest rumors I've read are that Mack's agent is asking for $22-25 MM per with the entire contract fully guaranteed. If that is true Mack is not just stupid, but also selfish. Take your $20 MM per and $70+ MM guaranteed and come to work. The Raiders are taking heat b/c people seem to naturally side with players vs. big whigs when stalemates like this happen, and I get that. But they'd be fools to give in to this dude's insane demands. Especially with how the defense looks without him. Between Gruden's offense and Guenther's schemes and the kids they've added on D, they'll survive the early part of the season until Khalil is ready to report and contribute. That's sound business. They'll have him come stretch time.

The biggest worry on this team right now isn't Khalil Mack. It's a rookie LT and a bum wheel RT in a division that features the best edge rushers in the NFL + two horribly incompetent backup QBs. That's the season derailer if there is one here.

And BTW, Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy Grop, but was overruled by Kraft. The Pats (or at least BB) is absolutely the standard for competence in the modern salary cap NFL. How many Superbowls have they been to in the Brady era?

Users who are viewing this thread