What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (1 Viewer)

32 Counter Pass said:
So Davis can afford to make Gurden one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL, but can't afford to make a future HOF player one of the highest paid at his position. Got it.
"One of the highest players at his position"  Lol.  He will be making 30% than Von Miller.  He will be making considerably more than anyone else at his position.  Is he worth it?  Maybe.  My thoughts:  I would have liked to keep him because it makes us more competitive now.  But let's be honest, we need more help before we're a great team.  We're going to have to do it through the draft because if we start signing all our players for 30% more than anyone else at their position like Mack wanted it would be our only option.  So I have mixed emotions.  I like our 2018 draft class.  It will still be a couple years before we could become great with or without Mack.  This may end up helping us become a better team when we get to Las Vegas.

Bears are NOT including Roquan in the deal. That would be like giving 3 first rounders for Mack, not going to happen so just let that idea go Raiders fans.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
There’s that spin I love so much. 

He was only gonna be “disgruntled” (if he actually was) because the contract negotiation stalled. 

This was a self-inflicted wound by the Raiders.

There’s zero reports saying Mack was disgruntled.  

See: Aaron Donald for how a competent team keeps their best player. Pretty sure they’re not worried about him being disgruntled. 
well in all fairness im only going by what ive been reading in all the news reports...the word disgruntled is in the first sentence of every story

It's not official...yet.
I did have the thought that maybe Mack is asking so much and not resetting close to the Donald contract that they are hoping negotiations with another team might help bring them back down to earth. 

Yes, I realize that is more hoping against hope than what is likely going on but it is a thought. Hope springs eternal.

Moonshine said:
Any guesses on our revised win total this year, assuming no Mack? My assumption is the player we get, if any at all, won't be Smith.

I think we're strong contenders for a mediocre losing season, say 7-9.
I think 7-9 would be a successful season. They were around there with Mack. This feels like the worst team in the AFC West, possibly by several games, if Keenum/Mahomes don't completely bomb. 

I'd say 5 wins is the over/under.

I feel like I felt after Carr broke his leg on Christmas Day. How do you sell this move to the locker room? I understand the rebuilding argument to some degree but also thought this defense had some pieces in place that Mack would have just made better. Known commodity in his prime versus two unknowns? Is it really about us not having the money? Or Gruden putting his stamp on this team?

I've been a bit of a devil's advocate on here all week long bracing myself for this. I just had a bad feeling about it. Yeah rumors are rumors, but where theres smoke theres fire. They're building the team in the Belichick/Pats mold. Get a QB, protect him and give him a couple weapons and try to win games 37-26. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I was called crazy for saying they couldn’t afford him. But then it was the same dude I put on ignore who said emphatically they weren’t trading him & I was “chicken littling” so...

If Mark Davis can’t afford to pay his best player, then he shouldn’t own a football team. It’s that simple. It’s a billionaire’s game & Mark ain’t a billionaire. 

Not to mention the obscene $ they paid their HC. 

Mark should take on a partner or sell the team. Losing Mack should be an unacceptable line for Raiders fans. The should send 1,000,000s of angry letters and emails. 

Instead they’ll somehow try to justify it like it’s a good thing, just like many have done with the move to Vegas. 

Gotta be hard to be a Raiders fan. If they were my team I’d be furious. Who cares if they save $$$. Ain’t my money. I want the best players, period. Mack was their best player. Now he’s not. That should be unacceptable to fans. 
Well said. 

You do not trade elite talent. Period. Even if they couldn't reach agreement with Mack they still had the option of retaining him on the franchise tag for 2 years. 

As for the two firsts, I have very little confidence the Raiders parlay those picks into players of Mack's talent. This is the same team that just cut LYs second round pick. Rumors are  that they are trying to trade. Karl and Edwards, two other recent very high draft picks. Add Gruden's draft record into the mix, you have the recipe for a turd sandwich.

This team is headed in the wrong direction.

Whose gonna break the news to bear fan that they're still finishing 3rd/4th in their division and missing the playoffs?

Unless Oak hits big with those picks this gonna be lose/lose deal for both teams.

Yeah, like the 10 years away from the game enhanced the perception of him as a brilliant coach. Not a bad coach by any means, but certainly not elite and worth 100 million dollars. 
No coach is worth 100 million dollars. 

Get the “next great” college coach. Pay him on a “show me” contract.

Giving Gru 100M + ownership stake was just not a good business decision IMO, regardless of what they do with Mack. 

steelwind said:
Agree.  Never said they will find success lol.  But MNF they are at home.  Vegas line just updated and the game is currently 50 under.  Sharks are predicting high score game.

Game script looks like Rams up two scores.  I can see Carr throw for 320 3 TD 3 int.

Rams 28 Raiders 21
More like 38-17 rams. 

I am on record that I ####### hate the gruden signing. So stupid on so many levels. 

This move is all him. It guarantees him at least 5 years before he gets put on the hot seat. He now has the time draft these two picks, and see how they pan out before he can be truly judged. You don’t trade Mack. Franchise him for 2 years and then move on. 

There's a rumor on a Bears board that it's '19 1st, '20 1st and 2nd, and a player.  Trevathan? Floyd?  Bobby Massie?

There's a rumor on a Bears board that it's '19 1st, '20 1st and 2nd, and a player.  Trevathan? Floyd?  Bobby Massie?
Why would the Bears give up a good player? It’s the Raiders. They probably got the backup K.

any reason for optimism about the PTBNL seems misguided considering this whole fiasco. :shrug:

@AdamSchefter 

Trade official, source tells ESPN: Bears get: Khalil Mack, a 2020 second-round round pick and a conditional 2020 fifth-round pick. Raiders get: 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick. So Bears get back second-round pick, too

If that’s the case,  assuming the Jets were in too,  why would you take the Bears 2 1s over the Jets?
:shrug: Maybe the Bears are giving more than 2 1sts? Maybe the Jets didn't offer the same thing? Maybe Mack wouldn't go to the Jets? 

Terrible deal by the Raiders. 

I wonder how much Gruden's contract caused this to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that’s the case,  assuming the Jets were in too,  why would you take the Bears 2 1s over the Jets?
Schedule maybe. Jets with Mack are second best team in own division in a weak AFC, arguably second best in their own division without Mack. With or without Mack the Bears are third or fourth best team in their own division in a stronger conference.

Knowing whoever you send Mack to is going to improve them, I'd think rather have Bears picks myself.

If any of the cash flow stuff is true, Raiders ownership is critically stupid for spending too much money on Gruden and then not being able to afford players...   

It is a good haul though, Bears probably won't make playoffs next 2 years... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread