What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (1 Viewer)

This might sound weird on a day like today. But the Martavius Bryant thing pisses me off more than the Mack trade. The Bryant trade was a complete waste of a pick and I'm shocked that they didn't do their homework on him for a 3rd round pick.

Agree or not Martavis has never come close to flashing Gordon like ability. How many 3rd round picks get cut?

It was absolutely a cavalier waste of a pick. As was a 5th for AJ ####### McCarron.
No. No, it was not. It was a swing on a high risk/high reward pick. You know, the same kind of guys that we picked this year in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th that seem to be good hits. Sane philosophy but this time it didn't work. Hall, Key and Hurst look to be wins. Can't have those guys without something like Bryant happening. And it's all 20-20 after the fact.

This might sound weird on a day like today. But the Martavius Bryant thing pisses me off more than the Mack trade. The Bryant trade was a complete waste of a pick and I'm shocked that they didn't do their homework on him for a 3rd round pick.
Agree 100%.  There was a risk/reward mindset behind that for sure, but I would think they could have least gotten a late pick back in return to balance it out more.

No. No, it was not. It was a swing on a high risk/high reward pick. You know, the same kind of guys that we picked this year in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th that seem to be good hits. Sane philosophy but this time it didn't work. Hall, Key and Hurst look to be wins. Can't have those guys without something like Bryant happening. And it's all 20-20 after the fact.
Again, how many 3rd round picks get cut in after their first training camp? If he was a rookie pick we would be calling it an abject failure. What's the difference? He flashed a little two years ago with big Ben then failed consistently since?

I liked the pickup for the same reasons we all did but I recognized the risks and it was a failure. A failure wrapped in a train wreck wrapped in a #### show. They should have done a better job scouting. 

Still hopeful, optimistic even but today was a very low day in Raider history and not only because of Mack.

Agree 100%.  There was a risk/reward mindset behind that for sure, but I would think they could have least gotten a late pick back in return to balance it out more.
Giving up a third for Bryant was stupid even if Bryant continued putting up average numbers.   Bryant was never great.   He flashed greatness but hasn't played a full season.  He was on the suspension bubble and was a selfish baby.  

It's going to be a long season.  For fantasy purposes, Cooper and Jordy should get lots of targets this season with no Bryant and an average D.

Michael Gehlken‏Verified account @GehlkenNFL 1h1 hour ago

Reggie McKenzie said "more than half the league" inquired to trade DE Khalil Mack. Club narrowed suitors to teams who Raiders believed had chance to present high first-round pick in 2019.

Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie on Khalil Mack discussions: "We presented him with an offer. We got the counter back and talked about it with (Joel Segal). What they were demanding, it just wasn't going to work." Declined comment on how counter compared to deal Bears gave Mack today.

Reggie McKenzie on locker room: "They're going to miss Khalil. I'm going to miss Khalil. We're all going to miss Khalil. Let's make that point now. ... But we're going to find a way to continue to play good football, and that's just the way it goes."

Again, how many 3rd round picks get cut in after their first training camp? If he was a rookie pick we would be calling it an abject failure. What's the difference? He flashed a little two years ago with big Ben then failed consistently since?

I liked the pickup for the same reasons we all did but I recognized the risks and it was a failure. A failure wrapped in a train wreck wrapped in a #### show. They should have done a better job scouting. 

Still hopeful, optimistic even but today was a very low day in Raider history and not only because of Mack.
Yea, I think the Bryant thing hits much harder than it should just because of the Mack thing. I got you on that. 

I still hold to it being a high risk/high reward move which Reggie likes. There are reasons why the players are high risk. We saw why it was a high risk move. A 3rd might not have been the right valuation to go after him but again, it is all 20/20 after the fact. 

Let's remember this fellow Raiders....

Even without Mack, this team is more talented than we were in 2016 at 12-4. 

Our crater last year was about Carr dealing with a back injury (as someone with a bad back, I can't imagine how he hammered out the season), HORRIBLE OC/DC coaching/schemes and a HC who seemed to just put gas on the burning ship rather than doing things that could have righted it. 

I am not happy about the Mack deal. I am really sad/pissed/depressed about it. However, that all being said. We have a master motivator for a HC, OC/DC that are not sub-par and can scheme and a healthy Carr with more talent than we had two years ago overall on the roster. 

I am not saying we are going to be 12-4 this year. The Donkeys and Chefs will be tough. Heck, even the Dolts are going to be fighters. But we are not done here. 

Shoot! I'm some shmuck fan and I knew Bryant had issues. I would think "football" minds would know better... Kinda concerning...

Let's remember this fellow Raiders....

Even without Mack, this team is more talented than we were in 2016 at 12-4. 

Our crater last year was about Carr dealing with a back injury (as someone with a bad back, I can't imagine how he hammered out the season), HORRIBLE OC/DC coaching/schemes and a HC who seemed to just put gas on the burning ship rather than doing things that could have righted it. 

I am not happy about the Mack deal. I am really sad/pissed/depressed about it. However, that all being said. We have a master motivator for a HC, OC/DC that are not sub-par and can scheme and a healthy Carr with more talent than we had two years ago overall on the roster. 

I am not saying we are going to be 12-4 this year. The Donkeys and Chefs will be tough. Heck, even the Dolts are going to be fighters. But we are not done here. 
What else do we have without hope brother! Screw everyone else! If Kahlil really REALLY wanted to be a Raider he would be today. Let's not forget that. More power to him, get all the money you can. But his camp was gonna have to make concessions to be a Raider bottom line.

What else do we have without hope brother! Screw everyone else! If Kahlil really REALLY wanted to be a Raider he would be today. Let's not forget that. More power to him, get all the money you can. But his camp was gonna have to make concessions to be a Raider bottom line.
Why? He didn't have make concessions to be a Bear? The Raiders went cheap and decided not to pay one of the three best defenders in the NFL. They are worse off for it in 2018 and anything beyond is only positive when viewed through @Chadstroma colored glasses (love you brother) That's all there is; hope that they don't #### up their first round pick, forget turning it into the next Mack

Saturday, Sep 01, 2018 05:05 PM

Five observations from the Raiders initial 53-man roster

Eddie Paskal

SENIOR WRITER/EDITOR

And then there were 53.

Saturday afternoon – as required – the Oakland Raiders reduced their roster, finalizing their first roster of the 2018 regular season.

Now, as is the nature of the beast in the NFL, the roster is incredibly subject to change, but with that caveat, let’s take a look at five observations from the team’s first 53.

1. The Raiders got their backup

One of the biggest storylines we followed throughout training camp and the preseason was the battle between Connor Cook and EJ Manuel for the right to backup Derek Carr.

Well, it turns out that neither of those gentlemen got the nod, as the Silver and Black, somewhat surprisingly traded for veteran quarterback AJ McCarron Saturday afternoon.

McCarron – who played with Amari Cooper for two seasons at Alabama – has 11 NFL appearances to his name, including three last year as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.

With McCarron’s arrival, the Silver and Black parted ways with Connor Cook, as well as EJ Manuel, leaving the quarterbacks room in Oakland as just McCarron and Derek Carr.

2. Fadol Brown is in

Real quick, let’s shout-out Fadol Brown.

After spending last year on the Raiders practice squad, the former Ole Miss Rebel entered 2018 a man on a mission, and after a strong training camp, and a reallynice preseason, Brown earned a spot on the team’s initial roster.

And when I say earned, put a little emphasis on that word.

Not only was Brown active around the quarterback for much of his time on the field, but he showed he’s more than just a pass rusher, as he dropped 15 yards into coverage and made an athletic play to bat down an incoming pass Thursday night in Seattle.

Brown is the perfect example of a guy making the most out of his time on the practice squad and using it as a jumping off point for the start of his career.

Well done.

3. Keon Hatcher left his mark

Speaking of guys who made the most of their time on the practice squad, Keon Hatcher found a home on the Raiders first 53-man roster of the year.

Like Brown, Hatcher spent last season on the Silver and Black’s practice squad, but after an out-of-this-world performance Thursday night against the Seahawks, the Raiders made sure Hatcher was one of their final 53 players.

Can we once again talk about what Hatcher did against the Seahawks for a minute?

Not only did he haul in eight catches for 128 yards and three touchdowns, but his work on special teams was excellent too, and truthfully, that probably played into the thinking of keeping him around.

Headed into 2018, we knew that the wide receiver group would be one of the deepest groups on the team, so props to Hatcher for fighting his way onto the roster.

4. The Raiders are carrying six wide receivers

Since we were just talking about the wide receivers… The Raiders kept six of them.

Some of those who made the roster aren’t surprising – Amari Cooper and Jordy Nelson – but a few, like Hatcher, are.

In addition to those three, Seth Roberts, Dwayne Harris, and Johnny Holton round out the position group.

One player who is noticeably absent from that room now though? Martavis Bryant, who the team waived Saturday afternoon.

5. All but two members of the 2018 draft class made the cut

Save Marcell Ateman and Azeem Victor – who are practice squad eligible, by the way – every remaining member of the Raiders 2018 draft class made the cut.

The play of the rookie class, from top to bottom really, has been a very pleasant development, and unsurprisingly most of those guys find themselves on the initial 53-man roster.

The Silver and Black will lean heavily on a handful of those players in 2018, making the roster is a good, first step.
https://www.raiders.com/news/five-observations-from-the-raiders-initial-53-man-roster?sf196744699=1

Maybe Chicago was offering what seemed to be the highest picks of all teams interested 
That’s gotta be the mentality, but it’s so hard to predict year to year.

and ironically, giving the Bears Mack might add 1-2 wins to their total. 

Why? He didn't have make concessions to be a Bear? The Raiders went cheap and decided not to pay one of the three best defenders in the NFL. They are worse off for it in 2018 and anything beyond is only positive when viewed through @Chadstroma colored glasses (love you brother) That's all there is; hope that they don't #### up their first round pick, forget turning it into the next Mack
He made a lateral move... enjoy another 8-8 season with a different mediocre team Kahlil! He got paid,  good for for him. 

:thumbup:  Yea, but am I wrong? Remember, I am not saying this was the right move. I am not saying we are better off for it. I am just saying that if we forget or try to take the Mack on or not on the team thing out.... we are still a better team than we were last year. No? Better players all over the D. The offense talent wise about the same but minus the most basic schemes I have seen since I last watched a pee wee league game. 

Well you missed my point about Cooper and Jordy.  Their potential targets go up with no Bryant and no Mack.  Pay attention.  
Meh.... subjective. Subjective in this. If we are talking about what we would have expected with Mack. ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY. 

If we are talking about as opposed to last year? I don't think so.

I do expect us to be better on D and be more efficient on offense. 

Following the Mack trade, Westgate sports book dropped the Raiders’ season win total over-under by half a game. That says that turnover luck has a larger impact on the Raiders’ chances of winning than Mack in 2018.

Yes, Mack has Hall of Fame potential, but again, he’s worth a half-win per season. A competent starting quarterback is worth three (see: Garoppolo, Jimmy) and a great quarterback is worth five or six (see: Rodgers, Aaron).

Following the Mack trade, Westgate sports book dropped the Raiders’ season win total over-under by half a game. That says that turnover luck has a larger impact on the Raiders’ chances of winning than Mack in 2018.

Yes, Mack has Hall of Fame potential, but again, he’s worth a half-win per season. A competent starting quarterback is worth three (see: Garoppolo, Jimmy) and a great quarterback is worth five or six (see: Rodgers, Aaron).
Yeah - that’s probably more realistic.

give Garoppolo 1 less though since the Rams mailed that game in. ;)  

You guys need to look at this from the organization's perspective. Is maybe 10 sacks a year worth $140 million dollars? Yes it's a downgrade but if the TEAM as a WHOLE  doesn't end up at the bottom of the league in sacks (like they did with Mack, or close to the bottom), then it's a win. Get over it people...

Though I do not expect top 5 picks from them, I think you are coloring your view with homer colored lenses.
Nah. Could win 8 this year and have pick 15.  Make playoffs next year and lose first round and have one in 20s. So I don't think so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys need to look at this from the organization's perspective. Is maybe 10 sacks a year worth $140 million dollars? Yes it's a downgrade but if the TEAM as a WHOLE  doesn't end up at the bottom of the league in sacks (like they did with Mack, or close to the bottom), then it's a win. Get over it people...
That is an insanely simplistic way to look at losing the best defensive player in the league. Is that you, Gruden? 

Mack alone gives them more wins. That's with what was already a top 10 defense last year. Added a ton of talent on offense with an offensive coach and their qb going into his second year.  Won't be close to a top 10 pick, as some seem to be thinking. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but the Bears made the trade banking on those picks being outside of the top 15, the Raiders bet on the opposite. We'll see how it plays out. 

Von Miller got Denver a whole 5 wins last year. Don't give me the Super Bowl BS they paid him after they won it...

How so? Those are facts... 
Here's the facts on what Gruden has done. I'm no big fan of Reggie either but he's not this dumb. 

Traded a 3rd rd pick for Bryant months ago now cut

Gave 33 yr old Nelson 14.2 mil over 2 years & cut Crabtree

Trade 2nd rd pick Ward for Switzer then dump him to Steelers for zip

Sign Worley who gets arrested and suspended

Sign 33 yr old Leon Hall to start

Signs 35 yr old Reggie Nelson 

Signs 35 yr old Derrick Johnson

Signs Tahir Whitehead to a 6.3 mil annual contract

Sign Marcus gilcrest to play safety cut 2nd rd pick Melifonwu

Trade all pro Khalil mack for a net 1st & 2nd rd pick Demoralizing your team

You would think the guy is still angry at Al and he's pissing in his grave. 

Here's the facts on what Gruden has done. I'm no big fan of Reggie either but he's not this dumb. 

Traded a 3rd rd pick for Bryant months ago now cut

Gave 33 yr old Nelson 14.2 mil over 2 years & cut Crabtree

Trade 2nd rd pick Ward for Switzer then dump him to Steelers for zip

Sign Worley who gets arrested and suspended

Sign 33 yr old Leon Hall to start

Signs 35 yr old Reggie Nelson 

Signs 35 yr old Derrick Johnson

Signs Tahir Whitehead to a 6.3 mil annual contract

Sign Marcus gilcrest to play safety cut 2nd rd pick Melifonwu

Trade all pro Khalil mack for a net 1st & 2nd rd pick Demoralizing your team

You would think the guy is still angry at Al and he's pissing in his grave. 
We can go through every team team in the NFL and find all the stupid moves (in hindsight) if we want.. So what? The Bryant thing was dumb, I wish we could have Mack, but we don't.  I'm not gonna cry over it. 

That's actually my favorite Simpsons joke because the poster in the subway that the advertisement is on has a guy wearing Browning Nagle's number during his QB tenure. 

Awesome. Good job, Simpsons. 

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all. You need an entire team to win. That doesn't mean the best player on your team isn't worth the money, though. These are seperate issues altogether. 
They made the choice to put their money on Carr and the the interior Oline. I can't do anything about that. This move only solidifies one thing... I'm Raider Nation, in Oakland, Vegas, with Mack or without him... I wish they would've kept him, but they didn't... Move on, we got the Rams Monday night...

Users who are viewing this thread