What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (1 Viewer)

I'm a little more optimistic about our defensive talent due to their solid performance after Ken Norton Jr was fired. 

Add a play making LB to the mix and I think we have something going. 
I have was saying it before the start of the season last year but we have some talent at D and mostly young talent. The difference in play after Norton was fired really does hint to what the Raiders can be with good coaching. I don't think they are too far off from being a very good defensive team. And if we have a good defensive team to add to the good offensive team we have then we will do some damage.

of course it can be said for every single team...but every single team doesnt build an elite D

The Raiders havent had a great Defense in decades...its time to put in time and effort ...the offence is good enough to win with a great D leading the way
Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to understand your post. What is meant when you say "its time to put in time and effort?" 

Last year their first 3 picks and 6 of 9 were on the defensive side of the ball. In 2016 their first 3 picks and 4 of 7 were on the defensive side of the ball.

Do you want all their draft picks to be on defense this year? 

I have was saying it before the start of the season last year but we have some talent at D and mostly young talent. The difference in play after Norton was fired really does hint to what the Raiders can be with good coaching. I don't think they are too far off from being a very good defensive team. And if we have a good defensive team to add to the good offensive team we have then we will do some damage.
All that being said, there will be two new starting corners this season. And the safeies are unsettled as well. Yeah we expect Joseph at SS, but how does the new regime feel about Launi and Nelson? What If Fitzpatrick falls to them?  

We all want Roquan or Edmunds, but if Reggie is left to his own devices we know from history, he will draft his favorite DB. How will free agency fill in the voids? It's going to be an interesting off season for sure.

There are a lot of unknowns on the defense with potential of glaring needs ate every level. 

The secondary seems to have the biggest question marks. Will the Raiders keep Sean Smith? What is Smith's legal status? If he is found guilty will he be suspended by the league? What is Conley's health status? Is he a playmaker? Who is going to take Nelson's place at Safety? Who are the backups? Even the most optimistic person can't be very comfortable with their current group. I believe that Conley will stabilize one CB position. But I have major concerns about Smith's status, the hole left with Nelson's departure and the overall depth.

I wouldn't take issue if someone said LB is a bigger need than the secondary. The defense hasn't been able to cover RBs and TEs for years. Reggie seems content on going with a stop gap approach using low draft picks and cheap free agent signings to fill the position. Not signing Zac Brown last year was a huge misstep. Bowman was an adequate mid season signing but he past his prime and the not the player he used to be. I think Irvin is starting slow down. There really isn't a LB on the current roster that inspires me.

The presence of Mack makes the Dline the "strongest" group on the defense, but who is his supporting cast? Vanderoos briefly flashed but tore up his knee in teh last game of the season. Denico Autry is a free agent. Besides Mack who is an impact player?

Granted some of these issues can be solve thru free agency and the draft, but they also have needs on offense. 

All that being said, there will be two new starting corners this season. And the safeies are unsettled as well. Yeah we expect Joseph at SS, but how does the new regime feel about Launi and Nelson? What If Fitzpatrick falls to them?  

We all want Roquan or Edmunds, but if Reggie is left to his own devices we know from history, he will draft his favorite DB. How will free agency fill in the voids? It's going to be an interesting off season for sure.
Conley didn't get a good chance last year with distraction and injury that kept him from learning and playing. He showed a bit when he did play. Enough to expect more given health and time learning the NFL and Guenthers system.

Obi is a big question mark. I like the size and athletic ability. I think they did him wrong putting him in at CB against Brady. We need to kick his healthy tires more.

You hit on the new regime. We don't know how the new system/coaching will impact the players. I am still convinced there is untapped talent on the D side of the ball though.

Conley didn't get a good chance last year with distraction and injury that kept him from learning and playing. He showed a bit when he did play. Enough to expect more given health and time learning the NFL and Guenthers system.

Obi is a big question mark. I like the size and athletic ability. I think they did him wrong putting him in at CB against Brady. We need to kick his healthy tires more.

You hit on the new regime. We don't know how the new system/coaching will impact the players. I am still convinced there is untapped talent on the D side of the ball though.
I completely forgot about Obi. Where he fits in is a huge question mark (if at all). Conley will get every opportunity to lock down one CB spot. If he can get past his mysterious "shin" injury. I've never been a fan of Sean Smith, I do recognize the fact he played better under Pagano,  but he is gone and I wonder if he could beat Orlando Brown in the 40... Add his off field issues, I say cut him and move on like they did with Amerson.

Bottom line, Gruden said it best (as well as some of you on here). They need to get production out of their young players on defense. That's long list of under- achievers and unproven prospects. That includes every single player in the secondary, every LB/DE/DT not named Mack and Bowman. I believe the potential is there in the secondary especially if they bring back Carrie for much needed depth. LBs I like what I saw from Morrow, Lee needs to stay healthy and James seems to disappear for weeks at a time. DT needs a serious upgrade of talent. I wouldn't be mad if Vita Vea is the pick at 10. Getting pressure up the middle would help Mack and Irvin tremendously. Ultimately,  Gruden and Guenther have a lot of ahead of them.

I completely forgot about Obi. Where he fits in is a huge question mark (if at all). Conley will get every opportunity to lock down one CB spot. If he can get past his mysterious "shin" injury. I've never been a fan of Sean Smith, I do recognize the fact he played better under Pagano,  but he is gone and I wonder if he could beat Orlando Brown in the 40... Add his off field issues, I say cut him and move on like they did with Amerson.

Bottom line, Gruden said it best (as well as some of you on here). They need to get production out of their young players on defense. That's long list of under- achievers and unproven prospects. That includes every single player in the secondary, every LB/DE/DT not named Mack and Bowman. I believe the potential is there in the secondary especially if they bring back Carrie for much needed depth. LBs I like what I saw from Morrow, Lee needs to stay healthy and James seems to disappear for weeks at a time. DT needs a serious upgrade of talent. I wouldn't be mad if Vita Vea is the pick at 10. Getting pressure up the middle would help Mack and Irvin tremendously. Ultimately,  Gruden and Guenther have a lot of ahead of them.
And it doesn't happen until it happens but strong rumors that Trumaine Johnson is headed to us or Niners. If us that goes a long way to shore up the secondary. I think if we sign him Smith is gone and they go in with Johnson/Conley at CB and I am thinking their preferred safety lineup is Joseph/Obi. Of course, we never know how things may change with FA coming up and then draft.

I'm not interested in paying Carrie much.  He seemed to always make the tackle after his guy made the catch. I think Dexter McDonald can do that.

Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to understand your post. What is meant when you say "its time to put in time and effort?" 

Last year their first 3 picks and 6 of 9 were on the defensive side of the ball. In 2016 their first 3 picks and 4 of 7 were on the defensive side of the ball.

Do you want all their draft picks to be on defense this year? 
honestly i dont have the answers ....all i know is every year ,no matter who we draft on Defense, we suck....something isnt right and they need to figure out what....they seem to have put some great pieces in place to make the offence click....just cant seem to do that with the D 

Guys almost certainly gone by Pick #10:

3QBs
Barkley
Chubb (DL)

Guys possibly gone by pick #10 that I don't see us taking
A 4th QB
Quenton Nelson
1 WR (Sutton or Ridley)

That leaves us with a whole lotta love that might fall to pick #10. Ward, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Minkah Fitzpatrick...ohhh, I get giddy thinking about it.

Ideal scenario for me sees us taking Ward or James at #10, then trading back up into the back of the first to pick up Malik Jefferson (although the Malik Jefferson part of that is more pipe dream than anything else, and probably wouldn't be worth what we have to give up to get back up into the 1st for another pick on Day 1).

Aldon Smith officially released. Great dream, the kind of player the Raiders used to specialize in turning around (rough around edges bad boy type that was a misfit on other teams but fit into our "learn the gameplan by the light of the jukebox light" mentality).

But a good experiment to end. Was clear to me there was no light at the end of that tunnel last year.

3QBs
Barkley
Chubb (DL)

A 4th QB
Quenton Nelson
1 WR (Sutton or Ridley)

That leaves us with a whole lotta love that might fall to pick #10. Ward, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Minkah Fitzpatrick...ohhh, I get giddy thinking about it.

Ideal scenario for me sees us taking Ward or James at #10, then trading back up into the back of the first to pick up Malik Jefferson (although the Malik Jefferson part of that is more pipe dream than anything else, and probably wouldn't be worth what we have to give up to get back up into the 1st for another pick on Day 1).
There are going to be lots of D players available at the 10 spot  I prefer LB, DT then CB but as long as that player drafted at 10 is a good starter from day one, I will be happy.

Having Conley live up to his draft hype would be a huge win.  So far, he has been a miss. 

There are going to be lots of D players available at the 10 spot  I prefer LB, DT then CB but as long as that player drafted at 10 is a good starter from day one, I will be happy.

Having Conley live up to his draft hype would be a huge win.  So far, he has been a miss. 
I don't think you can say Conley was a miss. Things got started late with him then he had that injury that kept him out and he got shut down quickly.

I don't think you can say Conley was a miss. Things got started late with him then he had that injury that kept him out and he got shut down quickly.
Agree, Conley and Obi will get a Mulligan, as well as Lee and Vanderdoos due to injury. On the other hand, I bet Gruden puts James, Calhoun, Ward and Edwards on notice from day one.

There are a lot of unknowns on the defense with potential of glaring needs ate every level. 

The secondary seems to have the biggest question marks. Will the Raiders keep Sean Smith? What is Smith's legal status? If he is found guilty will he be suspended by the league? What is Conley's health status? Is he a playmaker? Who is going to take Nelson's place at Safety? Who are the backups? Even the most optimistic person can't be very comfortable with their current group. I believe that Conley will stabilize one CB position. But I have major concerns about Smith's status, the hole left with Nelson's departure and the overall depth.

I wouldn't take issue if someone said LB is a bigger need than the secondary. The defense hasn't been able to cover RBs and TEs for years. Reggie seems content on going with a stop gap approach using low draft picks and cheap free agent signings to fill the position. Not signing Zac Brown last year was a huge misstep. Bowman was an adequate mid season signing but he past his prime and the not the player he used to be. I think Irvin is starting slow down. There really isn't a LB on the current roster that inspires me.

The presence of Mack makes the Dline the "strongest" group on the defense, but who is his supporting cast? Vanderoos briefly flashed but tore up his knee in teh last game of the season. Denico Autry is a free agent. Besides Mack who is an impact player?
Boy, isn't this the truth, especially the first line and the last. The Raiders have Mack who could start for any team, Irvin who could start for some teams and Bowman who could start for a few. That's it. 3 down, 8 to fill. Hopefully Conley comes to camp healthy and ready to play like the first round pick he was. He could be huge. He needs to be huge. A long, long way to go with that unit.

3QBs
Barkley
Chubb (DL)

A 4th QB
Quenton Nelson
1 WR (Sutton or Ridley)

Good breakdown. All 4 players appear to be playmakers at positions of need. I don’t have a strong preference, I just want a playmaker.

I think Ward might be a little small based on Reggie’s past draft history, Here is an interesting take: https://twitter.com/nickhjeltness/status/970797103004831744?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^ios|twgr^other|twcon^7100|twterm^3

A local player I would love to see them pick later is Quetin Meeks. He is a player.

Good breakdown. All 4 players appear to be playmakers at positions of need. I don’t have a strong preference, I just want a playmaker.

I think Ward might be a little small based on Reggie’s past draft history, Here is an interesting take: https://twitter.com/nickhjeltness/status/970797103004831744?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^ios|twgr^other|twcon^7100|twterm^3

A local player I would love to see them pick later is Quetin Meeks. He is a player.
Interesting. This is the kind of data it would be interesting to have a whole lot more of (statistical data concerning the type of players Reggie targets, aggregated from his time as a front office decision maker), to see how heavily the arrival of Gruden has impacted the draft strategy (i.e., how far off from McKenzie's statistical average does our draft go this year). It could be true that McKenzie discounts sub 6' DBs, but maybe Gruden is won over enough by Ward to force that decision? Will be interesting to see if there are noticeable, "non-Reggie" picks this year.

Rumors we are in the hunt for Wilkerson.
Very interesting. This would obviously change our draft strategy if we had him in pocket. I would certainly feel better about going LB/DB with our first two picks, at least.

Free agent DE Muhammad Wilkerson 

anyone find him worth a look?
The talk of him being a locker room problem -- coming in late to meetings, not showing up at all, etc. -- doesn't sit well with me. We need less guys like this, and more team-first players. Yes, he plugs up a big need at DT, but injuries aside, after his initial Pro Bowl year and earning a big 5 year contract, has he really shown consistent production? 

Not the kind of guy I see ready to live up to a 1 year prove it deal, and would rather draft a younger stud we can have for longer term.

That said, not sure this draft is loaded with deep talent in this position, and Wilkerson seems to fit the mold of the interior guy that Guenther likes (i.e. a guy like Geno Atkins). For the right price? I dunno. 

The talk of him being a locker room problem -- coming in late to meetings, not showing up at all, etc. -- doesn't sit well with me. We need less guys like this, and more team-first players. Yes, he plugs up a big need at DT, but injuries aside, after his initial Pro Bowl year and earning a big 5 year contract, has he really shown consistent production? 

Not the kind of guy I see ready to live up to a 1 year prove it deal, and would rather draft a younger stud we can have for longer term.

That said, not sure this draft is loaded with deep talent in this position, and Wilkerson seems to fit the mold of the interior guy that Guenther likes (i.e. a guy like Geno Atkins). For the right price? I dunno. 
Thanks for the well thought out reply......something to think about

I say no on the two bad attitude former Jets DL. Maybe send Seattle a late pick for Mike Bennett. Dude's also a bit of a headcase, but has always been a great teammate and community guy. Then again, maybe it's easier being that way as a Seahawk than as a Jet? Better tread lightly all around with any headache types.

Gimme Vea or Payne, whichever is better. And if it's Payne and a trade down can happen, even better.

Re-sign Bowman and grab BPA rest of the draft. Re-sign Lynch and Crabtree only if Gruden really wants 'em.

Winning NFL teams build through the draft, and only retool in free agency with cheap contracts, unless it's a very good/elite, prime age, high character player. And those guys rarely come free.

I say no on the two bad attitude former Jets DL. Maybe send Seattle a late pick for Mike Bennett. Dude's also a bit of a headcase, but has always been a great teammate and community guy. Then again, maybe it's easier being that way as a Seahawk than as a Jet? Better tread lightly all around with any headache types.

Gimme Vea or Payne, whichever is better. And if it's Payne and a trade down can happen, even better.

Re-sign Bowman and grab BPA rest of the draft. Re-sign Lynch and Crabtree only if Gruden really wants 'em.

Winning NFL teams build through the draft, and only retool in free agency with cheap contracts, unless it's a very good/elite, prime age, high character player. And those guys rarely come free.
The Raiders don't have to re-sign Lynch and Crabtree they are already under contract, unless you mean re-structure their contracts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sammy Watkins anyone?
The Raiders could use WR help since their WR corp is thin but Watkins is probably going to be somewhat out of the Raiders price range.   Watkins is not without risk though.  He has been a mystery since he entered the league.  He has all the talent to be a WR1 but it has never quite shown up on the field. 

DocHolliday said:
The Raiders could use WR help since their WR corp is thin but Watkins is probably going to be somewhat out of the Raiders price range.   Watkins is not without risk though.  He has been a mystery since he entered the league.  He has all the talent to be a WR1 but it has never quite shown up on the field. 
Agreed -- Watkins is super intriguing as the talent seems to be there. But I'd rather take a shot where we've seen that talent on the field in places. Can't say I've seen that from Sammy, whether because of injury or not. He just doesn't seem to live up to the hype. I do hope Crabs can get some of his 2016 form back because we definitely need him. Our cupboard is bare there.

Taylor Gabriel is undersized but has shown he can make the most out of his measurables. We kind of need a good long term WR2 prospect instead of another slot/specialist like Patterson, but Gabriel could bring some dynamic punch with some receiving skills that (to me) are a little better than Patterson, for half the salary price as Watkins. Just a thought.

Also starting to hear whispers of Gerald McCoy, potentially for a 2nd rounder. The price is steep, especially for a guy that's 30, so hope that isn't what's on the table, but I'm intrigued. 

Goint to be really interesting to see how any free agent signing will affect our draft strategy in the early rounds. A blue chipper will definitely be there for us at 10, and depending how we address holes in free agency, may make what the Raiders do in the draft a little more transparent to other teams.

5 Bama DBs at the combine! I gotta think with Ansley now on the coaching staff at least one of those guys will end up on the team at some point during the draft.

The team really has very, very few players they are tied to long term.  There are a lot of players on contract years.  

Cooper
Cook
Mack
Edwards
Lynch

Guys like Penn, Hudson, Crabtree, Irvin and Roberts all know they have zero job security.  Derek Carr and the two guards.  That''s it.  Everyone else is at a crossroads, either trying to score a 2nd deal, or trying to get one more year of top salary.  

All that to say, we are going to get the best from guys like Edwards and Crabtree.  If they KILL it this year, they'll get paid, Crabtree short term, and Mario long term.  Mario is looking at a $20 mill swing, if he has a good year or a bad year.  If gets 8 sacks this year, he's getting a big deal from someone.  If he has another pedestrian year, he's looking at a prove it deal.  Crabtree could get a one year deal for 10 mill if he goes for 1,000 and 8 TDs this year.  Otherwise, he might get 3 mill.  

Ogletree and Bennett were traded for peanuts.

We should offer one of those 6th round picks for Vinny Curry right now. 9 mill cap hit (Sean Smith buhbye). If he leaves after next year, we are in position to get a top comp pick (Revis/Pats all over again). 

If he re-signs, awesome. If he leaves for big money, we get a two or three round bump on a 6th round pick.  :banned:

Most of the talk around here has been draft and then mentioning big names at sexy positions for FA. FA starting is right upon us. We have some cash but not a lot with $16 to 17 million available as of now without any cuts or restructuring. Reggie has shown very adept at making the money work for them so I can see that number going up fairly easily. Cherry picking based on needs...

CB:

Trumaine Johnson as the best CB available and rumored to be choosing between us and the Niners seems to be our FA priority right now for need and impact. He has proven to be a good CB and signing him would go a long way to shoring up our secondary. Assuming Conley lives up to expectations and looking at last year as a waste due to the distractions and injury- that could be a very good CB duo for several years.

Malcom Butler is available and his career with the Pats unexpectedly had a rough ending with the sitting on the Super Bowl. If you can't get a guy fired up to shove it in Belicheats face after that then you can't get a guy fired up.

Patrick Robinson, Bashuard Breeland, and Rashaan Melvin are available and could make an impact at CB.

LB:

A little light here in what is available. I think we ought to and can re-sign Bowman. That shores up the middle. Anthony Hitchens seems like a guy Reggie likes to go after. Versatile and shouldn't cost much but he won't be a difference maker. Preston Brown is available and I think could be option B if we miss on Bowman.

DL:

Wilkerson and Richardson. Each talent wise could really transform the D. Adding pressure on the line and attention away from Mack. Neither will come cheap and both have some question marks that come along with them. Do we go after them? I think it will be Gruden's call on whether he feels they will fall in line under him from his interactions with them being in the booth. I lean towards no as being they might be seen as too much of an investment for a gamble.

Poe. The big knock on him last year was the back and worries he would hold up. He played a bunch of snaps with the Falcons and I don't think there was any sign of talent fall off.

WR:

There is a host of them available. Indications are we are going to keep Crabtree. I think Gruden will want to add a speed guy that can actually catch it when he gets down the field which is something Seth Roberts seemed to not be able to do too often. I can see us going after a Montcrief, Paul Richardson or Albert Wilson as that solid speed #3.

S:

There are a number available and I don't think we will go heavy here. Reid is available but unless he wants to take a cross the bay discount, I don't see us going for him. I think we will look to add depth here and have an eye towards Joseph and Obi as our due back there.

Most of the talk around here has been draft and then mentioning big names at sexy positions for FA. FA starting is right upon us. We have some cash but not a lot with $16 to 17 million available as of now without any cuts or restructuring. Reggie has shown very adept at making the money work for them so I can see that number going up fairly easily. Cherry picking based on needs...

CB:

Trumaine Johnson as the best CB available and rumored to be choosing between us and the Niners seems to be our FA priority right now for need and impact. He has proven to be a good CB and signing him would go a long way to shoring up our secondary. Assuming Conley lives up to expectations and looking at last year as a waste due to the distractions and injury- that could be a very good CB duo for several years.

Malcom Butler is available and his career with the Pats unexpectedly had a rough ending with the sitting on the Super Bowl. If you can't get a guy fired up to shove it in Belicheats face after that then you can't get a guy fired up.

Patrick Robinson, Bashuard Breeland, and Rashaan Melvin are available and could make an impact at CB.

LB:

A little light here in what is available. I think we ought to and can re-sign Bowman. That shores up the middle. Anthony Hitchens seems like a guy Reggie likes to go after. Versatile and shouldn't cost much but he won't be a difference maker. Preston Brown is available and I think could be option B if we miss on Bowman.

DL:

Wilkerson and Richardson. Each talent wise could really transform the D. Adding pressure on the line and attention away from Mack. Neither will come cheap and both have some question marks that come along with them. Do we go after them? I think it will be Gruden's call on whether he feels they will fall in line under him from his interactions with them being in the booth. I lean towards no as being they might be seen as too much of an investment for a gamble.

Poe. The big knock on him last year was the back and worries he would hold up. He played a bunch of snaps with the Falcons and I don't think there was any sign of talent fall off.

WR:

There is a host of them available. Indications are we are going to keep Crabtree. I think Gruden will want to add a speed guy that can actually catch it when he gets down the field which is something Seth Roberts seemed to not be able to do too often. I can see us going after a Montcrief, Paul Richardson or Albert Wilson as that solid speed #3.

S:

There are a number available and I don't think we will go heavy here. Reid is available but unless he wants to take a cross the bay discount, I don't see us going for him. I think we will look to add depth here and have an eye towards Joseph and Obi as our due back there.
Would rather go after a solid CB like Johnson than a bigger ticket item up front like Wilkerson/Richardson -- we need much more help in the defensive backfield as we learn more about our current safeties' abilities to stay healthy and nasty all season.

As to WR, would like to stay away from the high ticket items here, but Taylor Gabriel is intriguing to me despite the potential misfit. I'd rather see us go after a true WR2 (in terms of measurables and size and ability across all route tree options) to replace Crabs in the coming year than a guy like Gabriel who is closer to a slot/Patterson-like burner, but have always thought Gabriel brings something electric to the table as a pure playmaker. And who can't use that?

He's young, and he definitely brings the speed. And I'm not sure I am so much more enamored by other guys who may be available at the right price (Inmann, Decker, Harry Douglas, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, MArquise Lee, Jordan Matthews). Is John Brown still a FA?

The position is one of need, and while it may be best to target a more prototypical WR like Chark or Auden Tate in the draft, the downside is that we need to burn an earlier round pick to do so. But may be worthwhile if we don't address in FA as the position seems a little thin in this year's draft. Any mid round WRs you guys are looking at in this draft? 

Would rather go after a solid CB like Johnson than a bigger ticket item up front like Wilkerson/Richardson -- we need much more help in the defensive backfield as we learn more about our current safeties' abilities to stay healthy and nasty all season.

As to WR, would like to stay away from the high ticket items here, but Taylor Gabriel is intriguing to me despite the potential misfit. I'd rather see us go after a true WR2 (in terms of measurables and size and ability across all route tree options) to replace Crabs in the coming year than a guy like Gabriel who is closer to a slot/Patterson-like burner, but have always thought Gabriel brings something electric to the table as a pure playmaker. And who can't use that?

He's young, and he definitely brings the speed. And I'm not sure I am so much more enamored by other guys who may be available at the right price (Inmann, Decker, Harry Douglas, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, MArquise Lee, Jordan Matthews). Is John Brown still a FA?

The position is one of need, and while it may be best to target a more prototypical WR like Chark or Auden Tate in the draft, the downside is that we need to burn an earlier round pick to do so. But may be worthwhile if we don't address in FA as the position seems a little thin in this year's draft. Any mid round WRs you guys are looking at in this draft? 
Patterson has the speed but I can't remember them using him as a downfield threat much last season or with the Vikings. Patterson has the speed for sure but I think maybe because of his use in the past with the Vikings and us- I think he is that gadget/throw a wrench into a D scheme guy. Maybe they don't go sniffing a WR in FA. I don't see us spending a high pick on one unless the value is just blatantly obvious.

Official salary cap numbers are out and here’s where the Raiders stand

By Levi Damien@LeviDamien Mar 8, 2018, 11:48am PST

Up until recently all cap figures were working on projections. Well, now we have the official NFL cap number for this year. It’s $177,200,000; up about $10 million from last year’s figure.

With the official number set, the NFLPA factored in rollover from last year to give each team their individual cap number. The Raiders had $7,626,880 in cap rollover from last year which gives them an official cap number of $184,826,880 for this year.

Their cap spending on the top 51 players is right around $165 million, give or take a few hundred thousand depending on the source you are using. That puts the Raiders’ at approximately (drum roll, please)...

Cap space: $19 million

That’s not a lot compared to most NFL teams. Gone are the days of the Raiders being among the top ten teams in cap money available. Those were the rebuilding days. They’re sitting at 23rd in the league now in cap space; some $14 million below league average.

A solid chunk of that money will likely be used to give Khalil Mack a long term extension. There is also the rookie pool to think about. And with a top ten pick, that will be a somewhat significant figure — over $9 million according to Spotrac.com.

On the other hand, there are still players on the roster who have big contracts who would leave no dead money behind. Sean Smith leads off that list at $8.5 million. Others include Bruce Irvin, Michael Crabtree, Marshawn Lynch, and Jared Cook. Though indications are they would like to keep the latter four.

The Raiders would like to be players in free agency, but if they have a splash in them, it’s probably just one unless they want to risk saddling themselves with dead money down the road. That’s something Reggie McKenzie has been loathed to do in his tenure as Raiders GM.
Story Lnk

Bears just slapped the transition tag on Kyle Fuller, who was an interesting FA prospect at CB. Wonder if that makes them more likely to let Prince Amukamara walk -- also an intriguing FA prospect at the position at a cheaper price than Trumaine Johnson.

Good info. IIRC Kirwin said a team needs around 5 million for the rookie draft and signings off the street. Assuming that is correct and Kahlil is resigned that doesn't leave much for FA shopping. They need to renegotiate some of the existing deals to get cap room to compete for the top FAs. I imagine Carr's contract is consuming a lot of their cap space. Can they get him to redo his deal along the lines of what Berady does?

Good info. IIRC Kirwin said a team needs around 5 million for the rookie draft and signings off the street. Assuming that is correct and Kahlil is resigned that doesn't leave much for FA shopping. They need to renegotiate some of the existing deals to get cap room to compete for the top FAs. I imagine Carr's contract is consuming a lot of their cap space. Can they get him to redo his deal along the lines of what Berady does?
I think there is no way we have Smith and Lynch on our team with their current deals. Crabtree would be a prime candidate for restructuring since it seems we are leaning towards keeping him. Most likely some other deals as well and some more cuts.

If there is one thing Reggie is good at, it is managing the cap.

No argument that Reggie hasn't made in deals that left the team with dead money. On the other side of the coin, it appears he has missed out on some FAs that would have made the team better because of his frugal approach. Zac Brown comes to mind from last year. Also given his frugal approach it would seem that puts the Raiders out of the running for some of the top FA CB prospects this year. 

While it's peanuts, we should jettison Keith McGill and Reggie Nelson to help free up more. Not sure how we could look at guys like EJ Manuel and Lee Smith and restructure there. I really like Jelly but it's nto as if he's made anyone stand up and take notice consistently. If we need to trim fat to bring in impact players, that's where I'd start.

Autry is interesting. Another ho-hum player overall, but had a pretty solid year when called upon, and we had to call upon him a lot -- 5 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 7 passes batted down at the line (league leader) so wouldn't forget about the potential need to lock him up given MEJ's ailments, Vanderdoes's injury, and relative ineffectiveness of Ward.

No argument that Reggie hasn't made in deals that left the team with dead money. On the other side of the coin, it appears he has missed out on some FAs that would have made the team better because of his frugal approach. Zac Brown comes to mind from last year. Also given his frugal approach it would seem that puts the Raiders out of the running for some of the top FA CB prospects this year. 
Well, you really never know what was attempted and what was not attempted in terms of trying to sign players. As for the CB, strong rumors have Trumaine deciding between us and the Niners. He is the cream of the crop at CB this year and I am sure it is not coming with any discount.

While it's peanuts, we should jettison Keith McGill and Reggie Nelson to help free up more. Not sure how we could look at guys like EJ Manuel and Lee Smith and restructure there. I really like Jelly but it's nto as if he's made anyone stand up and take notice consistently. If we need to trim fat to bring in impact players, that's where I'd start.

Autry is interesting. Another ho-hum player overall, but had a pretty solid year when called upon, and we had to call upon him a lot -- 5 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 7 passes batted down at the line (league leader) so wouldn't forget about the potential need to lock him up given MEJ's ailments, Vanderdoes's injury, and relative ineffectiveness of Ward.
I think cutting Nelson is a given.

I am confident Gruden wants Lee Smith on the team for sure. Gruden wants a blocking TE on this team. Not sure how much money to be saved there could be there.

EJ is a FA. Not sure if he will be back. Maybe, maybe not. You never know if a QB hungry team is willing to splurge on a QB like him to have him have no interest in coming back. Plus, Gruden had a bromance going on with Cook. Maybe he will think he can get him up to par to be the backup?

I fear Autry will be a guy we want back but can't find the money for and another team will spend it on him.

I think cutting Nelson is a given.

I am confident Gruden wants Lee Smith on the team for sure. Gruden wants a blocking TE on this team. Not sure how much money to be saved there could be there.

EJ is a FA. Not sure if he will be back. Maybe, maybe not. You never know if a QB hungry team is willing to splurge on a QB like him to have him have no interest in coming back. Plus, Gruden had a bromance going on with Cook. Maybe he will think he can get him up to par to be the backup?

I fear Autry will be a guy we want back but can't find the money for and another team will spend it on him.
I agree, but more because I don't think we have a viable and dependable replacement right now than my love of what Autry can do on the field. He's kinda indispensible -- or at least a risky cut given the uncertainty behind him.

Well, you really never know what was attempted and what was not attempted in terms of trying to sign players. As for the CB, strong rumors have Trumaine deciding between us and the Niners. He is the cream of the crop at CB this year and I am sure it is not coming with any discount.
Zac Brown signed for a little  over 3 million.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/zach-brown-9862/  He would have been a much better upgrade then Bowman IMO. It illustrates what I am saying about Reggie. He may be too frugal to compete for the top tier FAs.

Rumors are just that and should be taken with a grain of salt. I am very skeptical that the Raiders are in the running for any of the top tier CBs available in FA, given their salary cap. If we use the franchise tag as a reference Johnson should command somewhere around 12 million a season. Where the hell are they getting that kind of money? Mack will burn up around 14 million a year. Even if they cut Smith it will not be enough to sign a player to that amount. Maybe I am missing something but the article you shared on the previous page put the team around 18 million in cap space. Mack ($14 mil) + Rookies/street signings ($4 or so). That sum exhausts their current cap space. Sure, maybe they can get the cap space by releasing Nelson, Smith and others. But they will then need to find quality replacements at those positions as well. 

Mack is under contract already this year.  Why would he eat up more salary cap space for this season?

Users who are viewing this thread