Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kupcho1

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1

749 posts in this topic

Did the the best of 2017 ever get resolved???

your release friday hasn't given me much to be excited about... other than a new Steve Reich (which, tbh, is much like the old Steve Reichs- we get it, mallet instruments).

but this week might offer something with a bunch of promising (looking) singles by:

The Men (hopefully not that K-pop namesake)

The Streets (!)

CIty Calm Down

King Tuff

Eels

Ought

Sloan (!?)

PJ Harvey

Titus Andronicus

1 person likes this

@Ilov80s may be the only one who cares but guitarist Julian Lage released a new album called Modern Lore.  He's a jazz musician but there are enough rock n roll and country elements in his Telecaster sound to make the record accessible to people who don't like jazz:  RIYL:  Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, John Scofield.

1 person likes this

New Django Django is OK but more straightforward for them.  It's lacking much of the interesting rhythmic dynamics that made their previous records unique.

There's also a Nada Surf tribute album with various artists covering all songs from their Let's Go album.  Like all tributes, it's hit or miss but the quality of songwriting is high.  Aimee Mann's version of Paper Boats was worth the price of admission for me but YMMV

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Eephus said:

There's also a Nada Surf tribute album with various artists covering all songs from their Let's Go album.  

I love that album. Thanks for sharing.  

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I love that album. Thanks for sharing.  

It's called Standing at the Gates

I had high hopes for Always Ascending, the new album by Franz Ferdinand.  I loved their 2015 FFS collaboration with Sparks and hoped some of the Mael brothers' weirdness would rub off.   Maybe it has and the pleasures are buried deeper in the lyrics but on first listen, it sounds like a slightly less energetic version of FF's earlier work.  It's still nice that they're still around after 15 years.

4 hours ago, Eephus said:

@Ilov80s may be the only one who cares but guitarist Julian Lage released a new album called Modern Lore.  He's a jazz musician but there are enough rock n roll and country elements in his Telecaster sound to make the record accessible to people who don't like jazz:  RIYL:  Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, John Scofield.

Thanks for the searchlight- Lage is one of the best guitarists out there, the jazz/rock line he usually rides is precarious and fun, can't wait to check the new album out.  

Any other new jazz you have been digging? Been to the orchestra at all recently? 

36 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Thanks for the searchlight- Lage is one of the best guitarists out there, the jazz/rock line he usually rides is precarious and fun, can't wait to check the new album out.  

Any other new jazz you have been digging? Been to the orchestra at all recently? 

I ranked the Tony Allen "The Source" album in the NV 2017 poll.  It's a terrific large group with Allen's Afrobeats pushing and pulling things along.  His Art Blakey tribute EP from last year is pretty good as well which is pretty amazing for a 77 year old.

I liked Vijay Iyer's Sextet album but didn't love it as much as his trio work.  Makaya McCraven's record is a cool fusion of jazz and hip hop that doesn't fall into the usual cliches but its raw sound is kind of hard to take at times, especially through headphones.

Saw the Royal Philharmonic play two different Stravinsky-centric programs on back to back nights.  We've had bad luck/poor planning on our SF Symphony schedule this year.  We've missed a couple of shows due to conflicting shows (one where we somehow managed to have three on the same night).  I'm looking forward to Beethoven's Eroica next weekend because Herbert Blomstedt is conducting.  Blomstedt is great with Beethoven and is a marvel at the age of 90.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:00 AM, El Floppo said:

King Tuff

I didn't love their last album like a lot of people here did but I'm pumped for the new one. I really like Psycho Star and The Other, the two song they've released so far.

1 person likes this

On 2/9/2018 at 2:49 PM, Eephus said:

I had high hopes for Always Ascending, the new album by Franz Ferdinand.  I loved their 2015 FFS collaboration with Sparks and hoped some of the Mael brothers' weirdness would rub off.   Maybe it has and the pleasures are buried deeper in the lyrics but on first listen, it sounds like a slightly less energetic version of FF's earlier work.  It's still nice that they're still around after 15 years.

I am actually digging this one more than some past ones...

1 person likes this

Spotify bogarted some good 2017 stuff on me... or at least stuff that I'm liking that it's only just putting in front of me now.

eg: Operator Music Band... local band that mixes up some of the brooklyn post-punk vibe with a stereo-lab/Can minimal/experimental sound. handful of eps over the last couple years- liking these guys a lot.

On 2/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, Eephus said:

It's called Standing at the Gates

Checking it out now. Also checked out the original Pitchfork review of Let Go. A 3.8? With the decree that nineties music sucks? 

OOF.  

On 2/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, Jaysus said:

I am actually digging this one more than some past ones...

Yeah. Definitely. 

On 2/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, Eephus said:

I didn't have high hopes. I think I want more jangly, angular guitars. Franz Ferdinand was always about the payoff, but they've gone soft Beatles. I, of course, can listen to it and enjoy it, but it's nothing like their first or second.  

After a few listens, I'm really liking the new albums from Hookworms, Car Seat Headrest, Ought and Marlon Williams.

5 people like this

Do we like the “new” Car Seat Headrest? I think it’s pretty good but not all songs need to be over six minutes long. Brevity can be your friend. 

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Do we like the “new” Car Seat Headrest? I think it’s pretty good but not all songs need to be over six minutes long. Brevity can be your friend. 

Agreed. I’ve never heard the lo-fi rendition from 2011. Were those versions all so long?

I still like this album quite a bit though. 

Pissed Jeans rules.

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Agreed. I’ve never heard the lo-fi rendition from 2011. Were those versions all so long?

I have not heard the old one. And yeah it’s good. Just wish I could throw a couple of these on a playlist without three minutes of weird #### tacked on to the end. 

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I like it. I liked Teens of Denial better. Thought that one was a nice sonic departure from the lo fi Brian Wilson/Beach Boys thing.

25 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

I have not heard the old one. And yeah it’s good. Just wish I could throw a couple of these on a playlist without three minutes of weird #### tacked on to the end. 

16 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

After a few listens, I'm really liking the new albums from Hookworms, Car Seat Headrest, Ought and Marlon Williams.

That Hookworms album is the best thing I've heard in a while. Even bought the groovy colored vinyl version.

3 people like this

13 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

That Hookworms album is the best thing I've heard in a while. Even bought the groovy colored vinyl version.

Nice. 

Colored vinyl, though? 

Record snob: :thumbup:

Audiophile snob: :thumbdown:

Difference in knowing the two? 

Music snob.  

42 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Pissed Jeans rules.

Go back and check out earlier stuff from them if you aren't familiar.   King of Jeans and Honeys are similarly amazing, and their older releases are pretty great too but not quite as polished as the more recent ones. 

I didn't vote here because I'm lame don't listen to as much music as I used to, but Pissed Jeans WHY LOVE NOW and Idles BRUTALISM are my 1a and 1b of 2017, and the next item on the list isn't very close to these 2 records. 

4 people like this

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Nice. 

Colored vinyl, though? 

Record snob: :thumbup:

Audiophile snob: :thumbdown:

Difference in knowing the two? 

Music snob.  

Just got it cuz it is the most badass album art I've seen.

Just now, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Go back and check out earlier stuff from them if you aren't familiar.   King of Jeans and Honeys are similarly amazing, and their older releases are pretty great too but not quite as polished as the more recent ones. 

I didn't vote here because I'm lame don't listen to as much music as I used to, but Pissed Jeans WHY LOVE NOW and Idles BRUTALISM are my 1a and 1b of 2017, and the next item on the list isn't very close to these 2 records. 

Ugh. You should have. We might have moved Idles to best record of the year. I don't listen to as much music as I used to either, and sat for a week or two and just listened to the consensus new releases culled from about ten different trusted lists. 

I'm sure I missed stuff. It used to be that I had a great gatekeeper in Maximum Rock N' Roll to get me to the promised land; I no longer really have that.  

Anyway, Pissed Jeans's vocals just don't do it for me. I could never get into them.  

1 minute ago, ericttspikes said:

Just got it cuz it is the most badass album art I've seen.

No, it's awesome. I love album art and colored vinyl. I was more making a joke at my own expense.  

eta* I just took a Valentine's Day Gift Card and ordered The La's on vinyl and plan to frame it on my wall with a nice frame and matte.  

Edited by rockaction
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Anyway, Pissed Jeans's vocals just don't do it for me. I could never get into them.  

It's certainly not something they put at the top of their resume.   But for me the vocals became very much JesusLizardy -- Hardest part to swallow up front -- but eventually become an integral part of the charm.   

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

It's certainly not something they put at the top of their resume.   But for me the vocals became very much JesusLizardy -- Hardest part to swallow up front -- but eventually become an integral part of the charm.   

Ah, gotcha. I saw Jesus Lizard live once. I kinda liked them. It's a vague memory. All I remember is that my friend had shaved his head into a curly mohawk and wore an authentic fireman's long-coat to the show. This was at a preppy university in 1995 or so. Neither of us were drunk.    

Okay, so I'm finishing up the new Franz Ferdinand album and some of the songs are deceptively good, but I wish they'd turn up the BPM on the disco because that's how I prefer it. "Huck and Jim" could use more guitars, and "Feel The Love Go" could use a more accelerated beat and not be the worse for it. That would push those songs from good to awesome, IMHO. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but it sounds too slow, less heavy and jangly than their predecessors.  

Edited by rockaction

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

"Feel The Love Go" could use a more accelerated beat and not be the worse for it. That would push those songs from good to awesome, IMHO. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but it sounds too slow, less heavy than their predecessors.  

I think this was my favourite song on the first pass through. 'Lazy Boy' is so stupid it becomes infectious after a certain point.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I think this was my favourite song on the first pass through. 'Lazy Boy' is so stupid it becomes infectious after a certain point.

Yeah, I think the back end of the album salvages it. 'Huck and Jim' is, on first impression, my favorite, and second to that is 'Feel...' 

Still a quality band, but they're never gonna be that band that brought rock and disco together like first two albums did. They're such a good band, and one of the favorites of my adulthood/youth IMHO.  

8 hours ago, wazoo11 said:

Pissed Jeans rules.

While we're pissing, try Pist Idiots too. I think from last year.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

:wub:

I think I had them 1-2 in my list.

And iirc, both were tough to swallow for the usuals in here primarily because of the vocals (which I love)

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

I was wrong in my memory. Had PJ at 5.

1. Idles

2. White reaper

3. Priests

4. LCD

5. Pissed

On 2/15/2018 at 7:01 PM, dal_boys_phan said:

Finished a few listens of the full album.  Don’t hate it, but don’t love it either yet.

I agree. It's not as good as Painkillers, but that was going to be a tough one to live up to no matter what.  

9 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

I like it. I liked Teens of Denial better. Thought that one was a nice sonic departure from the lo fi Brian Wilson/Beach Boys thing.

After a couple of listens, I'm liking the new csh. It's different enough from last couple to intrigue me, but also has some hooks. As time has gone on, I've found myself really enjoying the slow burn songs from Teens of Style. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I was wrong in my memory. Had PJ at 5.

1. Idles

2. White reaper

3. Priests

4. LCD

5. Pissed

It's IDLES :rolleyes:

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

It's IDLES :rolleyes: