Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kupcho1

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1

738 posts in this topic

@shuke

There are usually a handful of playlists in the OP.

2 people like this

17 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Floppinho and friends sing on 'Death will bring change", which I see made the final cut on the album! Hopefully their voices did as well...

ETA... Just listened to that tune. Rules. Hard. Flat out love it at first listen. Cant wait to hear the rest of the album...

Edited by El Floppo
3 people like this

On 2/20/2018 at 8:38 AM, wazoo11 said:

Pissed Jeans rules.

Guess we're just done with the language filter here.

Speedy Ortiz is back with a new song

1 person likes this

Tanlines popped up on my release radar today- decent indie/poppy band, enjoyed their last album. They have an ep of classic kids songs- row,row yer boat, happy and you know it, itsy bitsy spider, alphabet song, old macdonald...  makes me wish my kids were younger- really fun indie/pop versions that make those overplayed tunes fresh and palatable.

Just now, El Floppo said:

Tanlines popped up on my release radar today- decent indie/poppy band, enjoyed their last album. They have an ep of classic kids songs- row,row yer boat, happy and you know it, itsy bitsy spider, alphabet song, old macdonald...  makes me wish my kids were younger- really fun indie/pop versions that make those overplayed tunes fresh and palatable.

LOL. I'm listening to this right now too. My reaction went from excited to lame to ya know, it's not that bad

21 minutes ago, Brony said:

LOL. I'm listening to this right now too. My reaction went from excited to lame to ya know, it's not that bad

:goodposting: 

tbh, I don't see this as something I'd listen to again... but if the kids were still in the baby-pre-k age, it would definitely go into heavy rotation.

14 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

:goodposting: 

tbh, I don't see this as something I'd listen to again... but if the kids were still in the baby-pre-k age, it would definitely go into heavy rotation.

my kids are 9 and 11.  This ship has sailed.  Maybe I'll play Highlights tonight for the umpteenth time for the family. 

The new songs from Blood Orange are pretty underwhelming on first listen

16 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The new songs from Blood Orange are pretty underwhelming on first listen

just had the last notes fade from one of their tunes as I read this. was thinking to myself how I felt about it, and kinda hit the same realization.

29 minutes ago, Brony said:

my kids are 9 and 11.  This ship has sailed.  Maybe I'll play Highlights tonight for the umpteenth time for the family. 

mine are 10 and 6... might give the 6 yo a listen, but she's currently into chainsmokers type of pop music, so I have a feeling she's moved on as well.

Public Access TV has a new record out.  Their debut a couple of years back had its admirers on this board.

3 people like this

Northern Voice & El Floppo playlists added in 1st post.  I'll get mine in soon...

1 person likes this

On 1/1/2018 at 0:48 PM, kupcho1 said:

Followed. I kind of wish once I followed, I could change the names of them, I end up following a bunch of lists called 2018 and not knowing who's I'm listening to/watching.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Followed. I kind of wish once I followed, I could change the names of them, I end up following a bunch of lists called 2018 and not knowing who's I'm listening to/watching.

I'll change the name of mine

1 person likes this

New song release: Mastersystem - Notes on a Life Not Quite Lived   For those who love Frightened Rabbit but secretly wished they were a 90s grunge band (it's the two brothers from FR, with another set of brothers one from Editors).

Edited by Northern Voice
3 people like this

13 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Gotta find a 2018 lyric and soon ... really the reason I haven't posted my playlist yet as it is currently named: 2018 :bag:

1 person likes this

I'm really enjoying the new Onyx album, Black Rock.

I haven't listened to an Onyx song since "Slam" back in the 90's.  Their new song came up on some "New Releases" channel and I immediately liked it.  The rest of the album is bad-###, too.  My favorite rap album since RtJ3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHwJmyZgano

J

2 people like this

New Men album out tomorrow. The fanfare has kinda died with these guys but I’ll listen. 

1 person likes this

Breeders and Titus Andrinicus both out tomorrow as well.

4 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Breeders and Titus Andrinicus both out tomorrow as well.

and Lucy Dacus

14 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

New Men album out tomorrow. The fanfare has kinda died with these guys but I’ll listen. 

The k pop band? :pickle:

Posted (edited)

The Regrettes new EP is pretty nice. I think a couple people voted for last year's Alex Lahey album, this is similar, female poppy rock vocals over a bunch of punky guitars.

Come Through

Red Light

The rest of it is a "Teenager in Love" cover and acoustic versions of two of the better songs on last year's album, so it's a quick listen but I think those two songs are worth checking out.

Edited by Northern Voice
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

The Regrettes new EP is pretty nice. I think a couple people voted for last year's Alex Lahey album, this is similar, female poppy rock vocals over a bunch of punky guitars.

Come Through

Red Light

The rest of it is a "Teenager in Love" cover and acoustic versions of two of the better songs on last year's album, so it's a quick listen but I think those two songs are worth checking out.

Think I took one of their tunes for the song draft as well.

1 person likes this

I don’t usually give Screaming Females much of a leash but their new one sounds pfg. 

The new Superchunk album sounds surprisingly good to me. 

1 person likes this

Out today:

Breeders

The Men

Titus Andronicus

1 hour ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Out today:

Breeders

The Men

Titus Andronicus

And Lucy Dacus 

:oldunsure:

deja vu

this week's release radar tunes of interest...

Car Seat Headrest's new album keeps popping onto my spotify and I keep playlisting the tunes. haven't heard one that I haven't like yet.

spotify keeps putting Lionlimb on my lists... I think I've finally succumbed and playlisted a tune.

Weezer's acoustic happy hour- was surprisingly good.

DAF... I'm probably the only fan from their "der mussolini" days- but it's going back in time and scratching that minimal/industrial/keyboard itch.

our friend's kid plays bass in Pinky Pinky.. they have a new ep out, and I can't tell if it's legitimately good or just good to me because it's our friend's kid.

the singles I've heard from The Men have been a bit bizarro- almost acoustic early Feelies vibe to them. pretty good, but feels like a different vibe. haven't jumped into the whole album yet.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:12 PM, Nigel Tufnel said:

I don’t usually give Screaming Females much of a leash but their new one sounds pfg. 

I love this. I wonder if I need to go back to their older stuff. 

Brandi Carlile "By the way, I forgive you." This one hits that same sweet spot for me as Jason Isbell.  

On 3/2/2018 at 10:52 AM, Nigel Tufnel said:

Out today:

Breeders

The Men

Titus Andronicus

Pretty good

Will never hear again

Will never hear again

I gave the Soccer Mommy album a couple tries today because it sounded like something I'd like but it was just too damn slow for me. 

On 2/23/2018 at 0:28 PM, Eephus said:

Public Access TV has a new record out.  Their debut a couple of years back had its admirers on this board.

The new one is better than the first IMO.

11 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I gave the Soccer Mommy album a couple tries today because it sounded like something I'd like but it was just too damn slow for me. 

I did the same thing... I liked the dog song though.

Born Ruffians - Uncle, Duke & the Chief might be my early leader. Really nice return to form after their last ruff album.

Mixes garage-y stompers with some Spoon-ish more minimal rock and some Brian Wilson style ballads. With some songs that split the difference between those styles. Only 9 songs so it's good for my Spotified attention span as well and they vary enough to not wear out at all.

The title's inspired by the frontman's father being diagnosed with cancer and Bowie's death and a lot of the songs are lyrically melancholy but they do the singalong to deceptively depressing words thing very well IMO.

Anyway, in some ways it's their dreaded "more mature" album but the fact that I just typed all these words shows I really like it.

3 people like this