What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (3 Viewers)

before I get @ed... another new IDLES single is out, and I'm not that into it. Danny Ndelko or something. probably has a good video.

not a good video, but great song... and fitting for the upcoming month... Total Football seems to be released as a video/single. they did some kind of promo thing for the song, tied in the world cup this weekend- walking distance to home, but I couldn't make it. 
It's a dude that walks around with a "No One Is an Island" shirt giving the alt-right's "ok" sign and posing with a distinctly multiracial and ethnic crowd. 

It takes the piss out of that, that's for sure.  

Last edited by a moderator:
if you let yourself get taken away by Canshaker Pi's spotify feed, there seems to be a decent little Dutch post-punk movement going on... along with the one going on everywhere else.

Stumbled onto FONTAINES DC today...  A bit more garage, but sim to shame. Says theyre Irish. Liking everything I'm hearing from them, including their new singles.

tricot

I think they just have a new single, last album was last year

Liking these Eastern ladies on a breezy Saturday morn.  Math rock?  Maybe.  They play it loose.  Good sound.

That 485C is pretty great too

also, Courtney Barnett is the boss now
I like the tricot too.  have you heard strawberry girls? got into them both at same time. 

El Floppo said:
Total Football seems to be released as a video/single. they did some kind of promo thing for the song, tied in the world cup this weekend- walking distance to home, but I couldn't make it. 
whoa, have you played this album on Spotify recently... it is umm, doing something. 

I listened to the first five or six yesterday. What’s it doing?
it is, like, playing a video or a gif on my (phone) screen instead of just showing the player... while displaying the words "Uploaded by Parquet Courts" (or something close to that)

it is, like, playing a video or a gif on my (phone) screen instead of just showing the player... while displaying the words "Uploaded by Parquet Courts" (or something close to that)
Nothing cooking here... Maybe it was a total football, WC tie in?

Just shuffled to Death Will Bring Change... Forgive my repeated enthusiasm, but I ####### love that floppinho got to sing on that.

Nothing cooking here... Maybe it was a total football, WC tie in?

Just shuffled to Death Will Bring Change... Forgive my repeated enthusiasm, but I ####### love that floppinho got to sing on that.
Mine looks like this: link

And then after a few seconds the words go away and the dude playing guitar rocks back and forth on a loop.  There is a different animation for each song on the album. 

ETA: non-gif screenshot of the GIF: link

Many people are saying every person who ever listened to the Velvet Underground started a band.  The members of Nap Eyes are living proof. 

If Lou Reed had kicked heroin in 1972 and recorded a followup record in LA with the same lineup as "Loaded", it would have probably sounded like this.

Nap Eyes - Judgement

Nap Eyes - Every Time the Feeling

Bonnaroo report?
It was great. It was my first time. Obviously @Steve Tasker has been there a few times before. Long drive Wednesday, stopped 45 minuted outside Manchester, had a couple local beers and called it a night. 

We got on the road pretty early Thursday. Tasker was leading the way and clearly blew by the entrance to the festival grounds, so we went in the next blocked off off ramp but the cops didn't care. As a result, we went in with basically no lineup (5 minutes to get in maybe?), minimal search but we didn't have anything we weren't supposed to anyway, just loads of beer. Our campsite was 10 minutes tops to Centeroo (was a challenge to suck back a tallboy by the time we got to the main gate).

We day drank, then went in early afternoon to get a feel for the grounds and get the TaskerTour. Our camp site was pretty great. We had Canada and US flags side by side, plus some other flags. Christmas lights and maple leafs lights. A hanging lantern, I brought some fabric that came in handy for shading the tents under one EZ-up, and we used the other EZ-up as our sitting/drinking/cranking tunes area. We had the full weekend schedule on the wall for convenience.

On Thursday, I went in relatively early for DREAMERS and then we all saw Lissie (Fleetwood Mac meets Lillith Fair). We went back to the camp site and drank a bit more and then went back in for Jade Bird at 11 PM. She was cute as hell with a great voice. When she was done, most of the group returned to the campsite for the night but Tasker and I stayed out for the R&B stylings of Leven Kali - he was a great performer, mostly R. Kelly-ish stuff but his last song/big hit was trap style. His DJ was good but there was a full band that didn't really do too much :shrug: . We stopped by Pigeons Playing Ping Pong and they were covering 'Under the Sea'.

Friday was a stacked day for me. Early on we all went to the Craft Beer Exchange, which was just a giant mess of unorganized people but we got some good beers to share.  I went in early for Everything Everything, dragged a bunch with me but I think I was the most into it. Then my buddy and I went and got in the extreme front for Alex Lahey while Tasker went to Japanese Breakfast - most difficult conflict of the weekend for me. Alex Lahey was great, even played an Avril Lavigne cover :wub:  .

Watched Low Cut Connie from the Craft beer tent and some of Sheryl Crow from the back of the main stage and then went and got into the pit for Manchester Orchestra. They were probably my #1 must see of the weekend and I was very happy to let them melt my face. My one friend was with me for this but as soon as they ended I split from him and did a dead sprint for Paramore. I was able to get close-ish but way to the left of the stage for them. Hayley Williams is great.

From there, we all met back up and watched the Revivalists from way back while eating some food. Went and saw Sturgill Simpson on the main stage. He exceeded all expectations. He can really play the guitar and the improvising and extended songs was almost Neil Young-like. Muse was the day 1 headliner and they were really ####### great, but again, I think I was more into them than anyone else - I ended up watching a fair bit of it on my own and so moved closer and closer. 

Friday late night was the Tom Petty superjam. Sheryl Crow playing American Girl was probably the highlight but seeing Japanese Breakfast, Cage the Elephant, Hayley Williams, Justin Vernon, Sylvan Esso, Vanessa Carlton! etc... playing Petty songs was all really good. Moon Taxi were great here too.

Saturday was more day drinking and then a trip in early afternoon to see Pond. We stayed side stage and took it in while we had lunch but they were really good.  Back to the camp for a while from there, until I went it late afternoon to see The Regrettes - this was the only show all weekend I saw a mosh pit. They brought awesome energy. From there we got in the pit for CHIC/Nile Rogers and met up w/Tasker again. This was probably the #1 show of the festival. All their songs and then the Daft Punk/Madonna/Diana Ross etc.. covers and then back to their own songs, it was juts one big awesome dance party.

We watched Old Crow Medicine Show from a distance and joined in the great big 'Wagon Wheel' singalong, then went seperate ways to Anderson Paak and First Aid Kit, respectively. Met back up for Bon Iver's first set which was really good, spanning all his albums. Watched Eminem from the way back, didn't think anything of the gunshots at the time. It was a pretty good show but I could use more second verse's. 

Bon Iver's second set wasn't for me but hardcore fans loved it. A lot of Francis and the Lights songs and Volcano Choir stuff, plus some random covers, which all didn't mean a ton to me.

Sunday we had the storm of the century in the morning and everything got soaked. We ended up leaving early, which meant missing The Killers and Broken Social Scene, which isn't a huge deal for me since I've seen the Killers many many times and BSS are always around Toronto, more disappointing to miss the BSing and drinking around the campsite but by that point of the weekend, we were nearing the end of that anyway.

Also, the brooers festival was great, the festival is super well organized, Tennessee is really ####### hot. I drank way less than at the past couple years festivals, likely because I was filling myself with water and gatorade to not die.

Spotify has been missing the mark lately on Discover Weekly and Release Radar... but today's RR looks pretty tasty:

Singles:

Dirty Projectors

Protomartyr

Blonde Redhead

Deathcab

Menace Beach

English Beat (?!)

Active Bird Community

Orbital

Ovlov

LVL UP

Death Grips

Chilly Gonzalez

Interpol (?!)

James Black

Smashing Pumpkins (?!)

Pist Idiots (loved their EP last year)

Albums:

Rolling Coastal Blackouts

Shabba Ranks (lol... hopefully not with Sting)

Girls Names

Mourn

True to my recent form, I'm like 18 months late, but I just realized how awesome last year's Pontiak -- Dialectic of Ignorance is.   here's a yootooober of it

@JZilla, tip of the fedora inside the trilby for mentioning that I listen to it like 2 years ago.  I finally got around to doing so.  It rules.  

@Fiddles , get on this record if you haven't already

Spotify has been missing the mark lately on Discover Weekly and Release Radar... but today's RR looks pretty tasty:

Singles:

Dirty Projectors

Protomartyr

Blonde Redhead

Deathcab

Menace Beach

English Beat (?!)

Active Bird Community

Orbital

Ovlov

LVL UP

Death Grips

Chilly Gonzalez

Interpol (?!)

James Black

Smashing Pumpkins (?!)

Pist Idiots (loved their EP last year)

Albums:

Rolling Coastal Blackouts

Shabba Ranks (lol... hopefully not with Sting)

Girls Names

Mourn
I have Madball on my release radar... I love that.

True to my recent form, I'm like 18 months late, but I just realized how awesome last year's Pontiak -- Dialectic of Ignorance is.   here's a yootooober of it

@JZilla, tip of the fedora inside the trilby for mentioning that I listen to it like 2 years ago.  I finally got around to doing so.  It rules.  

@Fiddles , get on this record if you haven't already
Pennsyltucky beer bros.  They must be cool.

New ASG out today, some good tunes there on my first breeze thru

Red Bot Chili Flippers?

ETA - oh those guys.. they released a real album finally eh?  I've beaten three of their tracks to death over three years
Then you'll probably like the album.  The production is a little cleaner but they haven't made any big departure from their Go-Betweens meets the Smiths sound.

My Bonnaroo recap.  5th Bonnaroo overall for me, 3rd music festival (1st Bonnaroo) with good ol @Northern Voice and his friend.

Long drive Wednesday.  Kept getting hit with traffic, definitely the longest drive down I've ever had.  Whatever.  We still get into Murfreesboro at like 10:15 PM and crash.  Thursday drive to the fest.  I've never seen the highway tollbooth open in my 5 years.....is it closed?  Is it open?  It's very poorly signed.  I blow right by it....we have to be getting off at the normal exit, right?  "Exit closed, local traffic only".....well, we might get pulled over but #### it.  Cruise around some cops and no one says a thing.  Literally 5 minutes later we're in line....I've never seen such a short wait.  Unbelievable.  I guess that's what you get when you follow someone who knows where they're going :bowtie: .

We're in at like 11 AM.  First step, as always, is to crack a beer while you set up camp.  We get situated, got a good setup going.  Camp NAFTA, we called it, though we had no Mexicans.  I had my Turkish flag going too and my traditional Christmas lights strung up.  Good times.  Give our crew (me [5x], my friend [3x], and 3 newbies) the grand tour of Centeroo.  Lots of day-drinking.  I've got a really strong buzz going at like 3 PM and decide to chill for a bit.  My first show was Lissie....cool vibes, I'd never seen her before.  A little folksy for my liking but enough to keep me interested.  Not bad. 

A bunch of random-### shows after that point, a few beers and some food later, it's time for Jade Bird, whom I've never heard of but comes strongly recommended by NV.  She has the cutest ####### giggle I've ever heard.  Damn.  I'm trying to stay awake so I ditch the group and head to the stage and end up 3rd row side-stage.  Show ends, 3/5 of the group bails, but I'm looking to stay up a little longer.  I know nothing of any of the night acts. 

NV looks up our new favorite artist Leven Kali on his phone....genre: Hip-Hop, R&B.  #### it, I'm in.  Never heard of this guy but why not.  I can always go for some hip-hop/R&B.  He shows up late, we're not lit enough for him, of course.  But he's alright.  A bit of a Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson vibe, but he ends with some trap song.  The small crowd seems to know the music, gets me into it.  Not a bad closer.  Walking back, we wade through the Pigeons Playing Ping Pong crowd...."Under the Sea" cover, which is neat, but it sounds like a ####### Rusted Root show which is not what I need at like 1:30 AM.  Bedtime.

Friday starts with more day-drinking (what else), then the Reddit Beer Exchange.  I check out Everything Everything with the group, they're fine but doesn't grab me.  Ditched the group to get close for Japanese Breakfast, and she was great.   Played all the hits including a cover of The Cranberries' "Dreams" and the crowd goes nuts.  Cool show.  Rest of the group wants Sheryl Crow next, but I'm all about Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue.  This was maybe the best show of the entire festival.  Super hype, danceable jazz music, covered Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, and a bunch of other stuff.  Small crowd but super energetic, highly recommend this.  A+++

Paramore was alright but didn't grab me.  My buddy and I remarked about how bland their songs kinda are.   Meh.  Leaving the show, packed in a giant crowd, I accidentally step on the ankle of a girl in front of me.  I apologize profusely, in the Bonnaroo spirit, and in the Bonnaroo spirit she and her girlfriend offer that I help them partake in....something that many partake in during Bonnaroo.  Saying no would be bad form, right?  So the next few hours are a blur, I miss T-Pain entirely and almost pass out at camp from the beer + heat + multiplier effect.  Get back in there for Muse, they sound fine but are kinda boring.  It may be because I'm high.  I spend a lot of this show just laying on the ground, looking up at the stars listening to the hits.  

I'm forcing myself to stay up for the Petty Superjam, end up listening to some EDM act, Snakehips.  I looked them up on my phone and their genre was "electronic / R&B".  This was no Leven Kali, it's a DJ pressing play on a laptop.  Finally meet up with NV and his friend and see the Petty Superjam.  A+

Saturday is low-key.  More day-drinking, then me, NV, and his buddy check out Pond while eating some food.  They're pretty good, lead singer is really into it.  I missed Mavis Staples because it was so ####### hot and I was trying to stay up for the late night, though I caught a few minutes of Kali Uchis.  Because of course I would?  Anyway I'm going for CHIC, my #1 show of the festival.  I run into two friends who we had met at Wayhome and we sneak into the pit to meet up with NV and pal.  I proceed to dance my ### off for like an hour.  Some girl is wearing a sheer bodysuit.  It's nice.  This or Trombone Shorty is the best show of the festival, but I love a good funky dance party so I'm biased.  

"Wagon Wheel"!  That's about all I need from Old Crow.  It's time for Anderson.Paak (my 2nd most anticipated show).  He's on his game but he's definitely raw.  Spent a lot of the time drumming which was kinda neat.  Crowd was into it, but this is about the only time of the entire fest that I felt like the "old guy".  Whatever.  He was good, not great.  Bon Iver first set was good, he played "Perth", which I was dying to hear, but he still just kinda bores me.  Eminem, however, was really freakin good.  Big surprise.  I've seen a lot of hip-hop shows, and a lot of them suck.  Eminem did not suck.  Non-stop, high energy, all the hits.  Like NV, I didn't even flinch at the gunshots and didn't think anything of em.  I didn't realize it was a big deal until I got home and started checking the news.  Bon Iver second set bored me.  Rihanna never showed up.  Headed back to camp.

Sunday was the downpour of a lifetime.  I've seen storms at Bonnaroo....Petty in 2013, the infamous thunderstorm of 2016 that delayed Pearl Jam 2 hours.  Nothing like this.  My tent was flooded.  We could've survived Sunday but the late-day and overnight was showing a ton of rain in the forecast.  We bailed.  I was disappointed but it was the right move.  When we got home at 2:30 AM ET, Bonnaroo was in the midst of announcing a thunderstorm warning.  I'm not sure how well the overnight went that night.

Who's in for next year?

NV looks up our new favorite artist Leven Kali on his phone....genre: Hip-Hop, R&B.  #### it, I'm in.  Never heard of this guy but why not.  I can always go for some hip-hop/R&B.  He shows up late, we're not lit enough for him, of course.  But he's alright.  A bit of a Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson vibe, but he ends with some trap song.  The small crowd seems to know the music, gets me into it.  Not a bad closer.
spot the old white guys (I can't find us)

My Bonnaroo recap.  5th Bonnaroo overall for me, 3rd music festival (1st Bonnaroo) with good ol @Northern Voice and his friend.

Eminem, however, was really freakin good.  Big surprise.  I've seen a lot of hip-hop
Nice. Nice write-up. Read it all. Broken ankles lead to weed. 

On a different note, Aesop Rock has a new single called "Klutz." Any new song by him is appreciated by me. Sort of a plodding beat though. I'll have to really listen to it.  The flow is sick as always. Nice sample at the end.   

Rihanna never showed up.  Headed back to camp.

Who's in for next year?
:lmao:  I can't believe she wasn't there. 

I really think we need to do an in person FBG music draft at a festival one year. Bonnaroo is probably fairly "central" in that it's close for no one and everyone is doing the same terrible 14 hour drive. 

that English Beat album... if you're a fan of their earlier stuff- it's like that, with just a little less edge. scratches the itch, IMO.

this week's release radar:

singles:

Dream Syndicate (? not sure if they're making new music or just releasing old music)

Beth Orton & The Chemical Brothers (? not sure what I'll be getting into with that one)

Mogwai

Bass Drum of Death (felt like they're getting a little closer to the older sound... still a little limp, IMO)

a bunch of remixes, perfume genius, django django, odesza, fever ray (big fan)

albums:

Death Grips

Protomartyr (ep)

Mourn

Young Widows

Father John Misty (I'm not a fan- but I know lots of you are).

Users who are viewing this thread