What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (2 Viewers)

Pretty soon your kids will call you on #dadjokes like this
The album Jellies by 77:78 was reco'd here and my first thought was my parents complaining about a band that calls themselves "77:78".  

Brony Mom: "First there was U2, then there was The The and now 77:78.  What's going to be the next name??!!!?"

The album Jellies by 77:78 was reco'd here and my first thought was my parents complaining about a band that calls themselves "77:78".  

Brony Mom: "First there was U2, then there was The The and now 77:78.  What's going to be the next name??!!!?"
+/-

Stumbled onto a band called The Cradle, which is a young guy born and raised in Brooklyn (even more Brooklyn cache by being born there!) who collaborates a lot and self produces stuff. Not my usual dumb garage stuff... more experimental, singer songwritery and a bit atmospheric. Kinda reminds me of end of life, lofi talk talk. Some of you might like it.

This turning into a good year to get into fresh jazz. 

Idris Acklamore An Angel Fell had a track drafted by Ilove80s in our 1/2 year draft, and I prefer a few others to his pick. If you like that his 2016 We All Be Africans is a little better because I love the African instruments. But it's all solid listening.

Dave McMurray Music is Life is just a nostalgic listen start to finish. Some old school sultry jazz easy listening for morning coffee or late night sexy or walking Eeph's dogs with views of the Bay.

I've been left speechless by Spirit Fingers which is a name change from Polyrhythms which describes the music. So if conflicting rhythms strain your ears you'll feel differently, but I'd argue this is the best jazz of the last 20 years. Hadrien is in the discussion as best jazz bass ever. John McCloughlin says he's Jaco. But I say he's better because he's a sane ever improving Jaco. Mike Mitchell is the best jazz drummer I've ever seen, and I think he's just 22. So the rhythm section is amazingly talented. The other two are both incredible musicians in their own rights. It is a unique modern jazz super group working on very difficult compositions. One youtube comment said it was like the Avengers formed a jazz band. Yeah. Constant ear worms for me.

Finally, I was led to post because I'm right now I'm loving Kamasi Washington's Heaven and Earth. It's 16 lengthy-ish jazz tracks not completely unsimilar to his The Epic release which I didn't care for, but somehow he's dialed it down and dialed it in to a really enjoyable release. It starts hot, cools down, and builds to a pretty incredible sort of "classical" achievement in my opinion. 

Since Chaos Commish is talking about jazz, I should mention the "lost" Coltrane album "Both Directions at Once".   It's a 1963 session featuring his classic quartet (McCoy Tyner (p), Jimmy Garrison (b), Elvin Jones (d).   Sonny Rollins had the best line about it when he wrote it was "like finding a new room in the Great Pyramid".  That may be overstating its importance but it's kind of cool to hear an unexpected voice from the past. 

There's also a new album from Dexter Gordon of an previously unreleased live date from Tokyo in 1975.  It was originally recorded right before Gordon's return to the US after many years abroad.  Like the Coltrane album, it's not where I'd start exploring the artist but it's nice addition to the catalog. 

spotify release radar that look interesting...

singles:

2 more from The Hold Steady!

IDLES

pond

active bird community

blood orange

the coup

elbow

beak

GBV

albums:

bass drum of death (didn't grab me at first listen- but need to try more)

I really just keep on liking Beak>  I think I probably like more Beak> songs than Can songs now

Last edited by a moderator:
I really just keep on liking Beak>  I think I probably like more Beak> songs than Can songs now
was just coming in to gush about this album.

I'd loaded a song or two of theirs over the years... but this is a really good one. yeah- krautrocky fo sho. 

eta: also, until today I didn't realize they had a new album this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Single-artists covers of full length albums aren't conceptually played out yet.  When done right, the new recordings encourage re-examination of the original work but they first have to be good enough to stand on their own merits.

Beninese singer Angelique Kidjo's cover of Talking Heads' "Remain In Light" succeeds on both counts.  It emphasizes the Afro-Caribbean roots of that edition of Talking Heads.  The familiar songs on side 1 of the album have a great groove on both versions but Kidjo's versions of the deeper side 2 cuts is where the album comes into its own.

It won't ever replace the original but that's not the point of these exercises.

Single-artists covers of full length albums aren't conceptually played out yet.  When done right, the new recordings encourage re-examination of the original work but they first have to be good enough to stand on their own merits.

Beninese singer Angelique Kidjo's cover of Talking Heads' "Remain In Light" succeeds on both counts.  It emphasizes the Afro-Caribbean roots of that edition of Talking Heads.  The familiar songs on side 1 of the album have a great groove on both versions but Kidjo's versions of the deeper side 2 cuts is where the album comes into its own.

Just what I feel like listening to, thanks. 

One of my favorite albums... Looking forward to checking this out 

Some faves this year that I purchased on vinyl:

The Record Company

Borns: Blue Madonna

Brandi Carlile - By the Way I forgive You

Ray Lamontagne - Part of the Light

Elvis: King in the Ring

Elvis: The Searcher

ChVrches - Love is Dead

Lake Street Dive - Free Yourself Up

Some Streaming Artists with new albums that I have enjoyed:

Florence & The Machine

Leon Bridges

Dawes

Middle Kids

Twin Shadows

The Jayhawks

Neko Case

Just popping in to pile on the praise for the Shame album already pimped by others here. Checked it out based on the single that @Eephus drafted in the mid ‘18 song draft and it has not disappointed.

Oh Sees, Smote Reverser is cool. Might be one of my favorites of theirs. Got some metal going on. Even the album art looks like something Dio would put out. Like it when this band mixes it up.
Orc trended toward metal too and it may be my favorite thing they’ve ever done. Looking forward to this one. 

Orc trended toward metal too and it may be my favorite thing they’ve ever done. Looking forward to this one. 
I missed Orc. I'll have to check it out. I kind of lost track of them after Castlemania, Carrion Crawler, Floating Coffin so I'm probably late to the party on this newish sound compared to those. Makes me want to revisit the ones I missed.

Oh Sees, Smote Reverser is cool. Might be one of my favorites of theirs. Got some metal going on. Even the album art looks like something Dio would put out. Like it when this band mixes it up.
The full album is out?

That first single from it was all kinds of metal/prog/psych goodness.

And yeah- I'm with Nige- orc was really fun and a departure from their usual stuff.

That said- I only just started watching live YouTube of their older stuff and have a gained a renewed appreciation for it. Main guy is a blast to watch.

People who liked Shame will probably like The Black Delta Movement.  There's nothing original going on but the band does justice to their garage, post-punk and Britpop influences.
I heard Butterfly yesterday and was looking forward to hearing the full album. 

There's a new Lucero album out today.  They're not really my thing but the record sounds very solid on first spin.
Came in to post the same.  Big fan of their earlier stuff and I can see this one getting a lot of play during my commute.

Since Lucero is already represented here in the thread, let me add Amanda Shires’ To The Sunset, which has a more diverse rock/pop sound than her previous Americana/folk releases.  Bonus to have Mr. Shires playing guitar on each track.

People who liked Shame will probably like The Black Delta Movement.  There's nothing original going on but the band does justice to their garage, post-punk and Britpop influences.
Love the big guitars on this. Something about it won’t lend itself to a lot of repeat listens for me though. Samey? Still riyl Black Angels, Brian Jonestown Massacre, etc. 

Love the big guitars on this. Something about it won’t lend itself to a lot of repeat listens for me though. Samey? Still riyl Black Angels, Brian Jonestown Massacre, etc. 
Yeah, I liked it less the second time I listened.  The singer doesn't do it for me.

floppinho got cast to be in a Clutch music video this weekend. 

but it's in the poconos (2+ hours away), paying minimally (after car rental and gas, we'd probably be losing money to do it) and shooting "until 10pm" sunday night (code for- "way past midnight") so we can't do it. 

they sounded familiar- looked them up... blues tinged hardish rock. seems like an elaborate and overly serious bar band (with serious faced rock and roll hair-cut harmonica player). would've been fun to have #1 son in a music video... and if I liked the music/band more, I'd have pushed to accept.

Bilk is a bit contrived and overly produced or tight- british rap/indie/punk mashup... But their first two singles work.

Users who are viewing this thread