What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (2 Viewers)

spotify rr...

singles:

dodos

aphex twin

a certain ratio (?!... must be a re-release)

vampire weekend

slothrust (slow-thrust? sloth-rust?)

... and a bunch of remixes- LCD, king tuff's psycho star w/ tuneyards.

albums:

jacuzzi boys (!)

the cradle

moses sumney

bass drum of death (spotify gives me something from this every week)

hideous sun demon

Clearance is another one of those ungoogleable band names that were briefly in vogue a few years ago.  Their album "At Your Leisure" is solid jangly guitar rock along the lines of Built to Spill and the Flying Nun bands.  It's not life changing but the songs are pretty decent.

been a couple more IDLES singles released prior to the album dropping at the end of this month.

GREAT may have just dropped this week. sounds a bit like an outtake of Danny Ndelko. still good.

release radar hopefuls, before I dive in:

singles:

Jamie T

Superchunk (acoustic)

Cloud Nothings

Protomartyr

Kurt Vile

Drenge

orbital

juiceboxxx

prince & ani difranco (wtf?!)

nothing

albums:

thee oh sees

moses sumney

animal collective

death cab

jamie t

Bass Drum of Death released an album called Just Business last month that I kinda dig. Check out I Don't Want to Know if you are so inclined.   Garage rock-ish Segall-ish vibe... It's a fun album. 
it's good. feels a little less noisey than their others, which I loved and was looking forward to, so didn't super-grab me on first couple listens. I'll keep spinning it though.

sliding sideways from krautrocky <beak, Cavern of Anti-Matter has a new album- Hormone Lemonade... dude from Stereolab doing some early kraftwerk krautrocky/lounge instrumental stuff. if any of that sounds appealing, the album's worth a listen.

new Mudhoney track on my RR, was worth a few yucks and sounds alright too

spot the hoof reference!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interpol today. White Denim. Justice with another new album that isn't really a new album.

Third Eye Blind has an EP of covers of other recent songs (Bon Iver, Babyshambles, Queens of the Stone Age, Santigold, Chastity Belt) which I am definitely going to listen to.

not sure why release radar isn't giving me Interpol or White Denim. 
I had the same thought.  I listen to my fair share of Interpol but apparently Soft Cell takes priority.  I like the new J Mascis tune that showed up for me. 

The Lemon Twigs’ Go to School is a bat#### crazy broadway rock musical a la Rundgren and Foxygen. Worth your time if you like those bands or are bored with the same old fare. 

People who like pretty voices over deep bass with an 80's influence (so basically @Steve Tasker) might like Dizzy's debut, Baby Teeth. 

They're local to my area but it's produced by Damian Taylor who has worked with Bjork, Braids, Arcade Fire, etc... so it's by no means a small sounding album.

Swim

Stars and Moons

Allmusic Review which isn't that great because it's just drops the names of like 20 bands that don't sound all that similar:

On their debut LP, Baby Teeth, Canadian dream pop quartet Dizzy relinquish those titular vestiges of youth, capturing a lush, accomplished sound that could have been produced by a much more mature band. Drawing upon influences like London Grammar, Alvvays, and Stars, Dizzy also channels the spirit of early Lorde with poetic lyrics and a similarly palpable frustration with mundane suburban life. Produced by Damian Taylor (Bjork, Arcade Fire, the Killers), Baby Teeth also draws upon the sounds of artists like Wet, Birdy, and fellow dream pop revivalist Hatchie. Together with the trio of Spencer brothers, vocalist Katie Munshaw delivers a strong performance -- delicate without being too precious, wounded but confident -- heard on highlights like the atmospheric "Swim," the sprawling "Pretty Thing," and the hypnotic "Stars and Moons," whose thrumming bass and persistent drumming invigorate the otherwise dreamy sonics with a vibrant heartbeat. Introspective moments like the heartbreak-and-healing "Joshua" and the gorgeous acoustic "Pirouette" provide contemplative doses of tranquility on an already relaxed album. Balancing restraint with a keen ear for pop-friendly hooks inspired by Jack Antonoff, Dizzy manage to make quite the opening statement with Baby Teeth.

listened to the IDLES album a few times. wub. probably won't grab most of you if you haven't liked the latest singles.

spotify RR of interest...

Singles: Liars, Tune-yards (cover of sweet dreams), Cayucas, yak (!), Interpol, Broncho, Echo & bunnies, XTC w EAMXS(?), Orbital

Albums: IDLES, Mogwai, Wild Nothing, Blood Orange, Ron Gallo (EP)

Users who are viewing this thread