What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (2 Viewers)

Eephus said:
Ron Gallo has a new 8-song EP out today.  It seems like kind of a throwaway compared to last year's Heavy Meta album but it's a fun listen.
It's a pretty good throwaway IMO. Might be a couple songs mixed amongst the silliness that I prefer to anything on Heavy Meta.

so the Shins took their album from last year and flipped/reworked it for a rerelease this year? 

S/hitKid had a full album out. I'm a fan, but I'm not sure I can take more than a song at a time from her tbh.

Strand of Oaks quietly released an album called Harder Love last week.  It's a companion to 2017's Hard Love consisting of early versions and demos of the songs from that album.

I'm probably the biggest honk of this band on the board so you can take it with the grain of salt it deserves.  There's enough variation between the two to make them both worthwhile listens.  Only the title track(s) have the same title but the new one is taken at a faster tempo.  The new record is generally more straightforward.  It doesn't have much of the studio noodling that marred their last record (for me).  It's interesting to see how Showalter's songs evolved and I'm hoping to hear new stuff from the artist that falls somewhere between Hard and Harder.

Shame is a good Sarf London band with a bad name.  Their debut LP Songs of Praise mines familiar post-punk territory but they do it with style.

One Rizla
Yeah, I am digging this one a bit.  

Also, my 2018 playlist is finally over 20 songs, so I will be sharing that at some point soon.

your release friday hasn't given me much to be excited about... other than a new Steve Reich (which, tbh, is much like the old Steve Reichs- we get it, mallet instruments).

but this week might offer something with a bunch of promising (looking) singles by:

The Men (hopefully not that K-pop namesake)

The Streets (!)

CIty Calm Down

King Tuff

Eels

Ought

Sloan (!?)

PJ Harvey

Titus Andronicus

@Ilov80s may be the only one who cares but guitarist Julian Lage released a new album called Modern Lore.  He's a jazz musician but there are enough rock n roll and country elements in his Telecaster sound to make the record accessible to people who don't like jazz:  RIYL:  Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, John Scofield.

New Django Django is OK but more straightforward for them.  It's lacking much of the interesting rhythmic dynamics that made their previous records unique.

There's also a Nada Surf tribute album with various artists covering all songs from their Let's Go album.  Like all tributes, it's hit or miss but the quality of songwriting is high.  Aimee Mann's version of Paper Boats was worth the price of admission for me but YMMV

I had high hopes for Always Ascending, the new album by Franz Ferdinand.  I loved their 2015 FFS collaboration with Sparks and hoped some of the Mael brothers' weirdness would rub off.   Maybe it has and the pleasures are buried deeper in the lyrics but on first listen, it sounds like a slightly less energetic version of FF's earlier work.  It's still nice that they're still around after 15 years.

Eephus said:
@Ilov80s may be the only one who cares but guitarist Julian Lage released a new album called Modern Lore.  He's a jazz musician but there are enough rock n roll and country elements in his Telecaster sound to make the record accessible to people who don't like jazz:  RIYL:  Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, John Scofield.
Thanks for the searchlight- Lage is one of the best guitarists out there, the jazz/rock line he usually rides is precarious and fun, can't wait to check the new album out.  

Any other new jazz you have been digging? Been to the orchestra at all recently? 

Thanks for the searchlight- Lage is one of the best guitarists out there, the jazz/rock line he usually rides is precarious and fun, can't wait to check the new album out.  

Any other new jazz you have been digging? Been to the orchestra at all recently? 
I ranked the Tony Allen "The Source" album in the NV 2017 poll.  It's a terrific large group with Allen's Afrobeats pushing and pulling things along.  His Art Blakey tribute EP from last year is pretty good as well which is pretty amazing for a 77 year old.

I liked Vijay Iyer's Sextet album but didn't love it as much as his trio work.  Makaya McCraven's record is a cool fusion of jazz and hip hop that doesn't fall into the usual cliches but its raw sound is kind of hard to take at times, especially through headphones.

Saw the Royal Philharmonic play two different Stravinsky-centric programs on back to back nights.  We've had bad luck/poor planning on our SF Symphony schedule this year.  We've missed a couple of shows due to conflicting shows (one where we somehow managed to have three on the same night).  I'm looking forward to Beethoven's Eroica next weekend because Herbert Blomstedt is conducting.  Blomstedt is great with Beethoven and is a marvel at the age of 90.

I had high hopes for Always Ascending, the new album by Franz Ferdinand.  I loved their 2015 FFS collaboration with Sparks and hoped some of the Mael brothers' weirdness would rub off.   Maybe it has and the pleasures are buried deeper in the lyrics but on first listen, it sounds like a slightly less energetic version of FF's earlier work.  It's still nice that they're still around after 15 years.
I am actually digging this one more than some past ones...

Spotify bogarted some good 2017 stuff on me... or at least stuff that I'm liking that it's only just putting in front of me now.

eg: Operator Music Band... local band that mixes up some of the brooklyn post-punk vibe with a stereo-lab/Can minimal/experimental sound. handful of eps over the last couple years- liking these guys a lot.

I am actually digging this one more than some past ones...
Yeah. Definitely. 

I didn't have high hopes. I think I want more jangly, angular guitars. Franz Ferdinand was always about the payoff, but they've gone soft Beatles. I, of course, can listen to it and enjoy it, but it's nothing like their first or second.  

Do we like the “new” Car Seat Headrest? I think it’s pretty good but not all songs need to be over six minutes long. Brevity can be your friend. 

Do we like the “new” Car Seat Headrest? I think it’s pretty good but not all songs need to be over six minutes long. Brevity can be your friend. 
Agreed. I’ve never heard the lo-fi rendition from 2011. Were those versions all so long?

I still like this album quite a bit though. 

Users who are viewing this thread