What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (1 Viewer)

Pitchfork destroyed Greta Van Fleet today. I don't really disagree with it, but it's harsh. I saw them described elsewhere as "music for people who say 'no one makes real music anymore', even though they themselves are a novelty/costume band"... and again, harsh but can't disagree.
It felt a little mean. 
The review was intended to not only highlight their tremendously stiff, hackneyed, overly precious retro-fetishism but also to critique the entire new genus of vampiric bands there only to catch the runoff of original rock using streaming services’ data-driven business model. They exist only to be swallowed into the algorithm’s churn and rack up plays, of which they already have hundreds of millions.

JZilla said:
GVF is pretty terrible, it's not the sound, it's the godawful songs

Sorry you can't be Zeppelin.  Black artists have lawyers now anyway  :ptts:

Pitchfork always rides the hip wave, that's their thing, they gave GNR's greatest hits 1 star when they thought it was cool to do so  (looks like they deleted this in the years since).  Now we know where Greta stands.  I appreciated the decent Adele cover. 
In antecedent days, we reviewed Wolfmother in a much more acclamatory light, as though they were conjointly a throwback to 1970s hard rock-- miles of galloping riffs, noodling organ, and guitar fuzz-- what made their self-titled debut rise above mere pastiche is how capably they struck a symmetry between meaty vintage metal and crisp, stoner-rock melodies.

The review was intended to not only highlight their tremendously stiff, hackneyed, overly precious retro-fetishism but also to critique the entire new genus of vampiric bands there only to catch the runoff of original rock using streaming services’ data-driven business model. They exist only to be swallowed into the algorithm’s churn and rack up plays, of which they already have hundreds of millions.
I’m not a fan of the band but have no idea what algorithm churn is or how it invalidates music. Bad popular music isn’t a new phenomenon, neither is aping other bands. And I agree that the review was beyond a critique of the music and was mean spirited and personal for some reason. 

I’m not a fan of the band but have no idea what algorithm churn is or how it invalidates music. Bad popular music isn’t a new phenomenon, neither is aping other bands. And I agree that the review was beyond a critique of the music and was mean spirited and personal for some reason. 
Well, mean spirited and personal is in Pitchfork's DNA back to the beginning. I admit, I kind of like the big take down angle from time to time, there are so few bad reviews these days, everything is okay or great or ignored but lets call out some garbage. 

They gave 'Shine On' by Jet a 0.0 and posted a video of a monkey peeing on itself. I think yesterday's GVF review is as close as we'll see to that in the Conde Nast owned Pitchfork era.

Their review of Greta Van Fleet is almost a carbon copy in terms of style, tone of their review 10 years ago of The Airborne Toxic Event, which does lend to wondering if Pitchfork has an algorithm themselves for keeping people interested (though they were pretty obviously right about that band as well). Also, on this last point, a Twitter search shows me no one else on the internet has come to this conclusion, which is clearly right, so I need to find a way to ensure the most possible people see what I've discovered... algorithm anyone?

I'm late on this, but I might just listen to this album for the rest of the year. Aussie girl guitar rock is so strong right now (The Beths, Courtney Barnett, Alex Lahey, etc...)
Upon the first listen, there are some absolute gems on that The Beth’s album. 

Great No One and Not Running will be in heavy rotation for a long time. Can already foresee Mrs Epic jumping on the bandwagon too which always makes road trips that much more enjoyable. 

Scathing reviews bring more pageviews than raves.  The hard part is making them clever and not just some guy who isn't in a band ripping people who are.

JD Considine's one word review of prog supergroup GTR (with Steves Howe and Hackett) is about as good as it gets.

Scathing reviews bring more pageviews than raves.  The hard part is making them clever and not just some guy who isn't in a band ripping people who are.

JD Considine's one word review of prog supergroup GTR (with Steves Howe and Hackett) is about as good as it gets.
Speaking of Zeppelin aping and bad reviews, I really really really like this one from 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide, i.e. older than me:

"This Canadian power trio, which boasts a vocalist who sounds like a cross between Donald Duck and Robert Plant, reached its pinnacle of success the day it was discovered by Circus magazine and turned into fanzine wall-decoration material. Rush is to the late Seventies what Grand Funk was to the early Seventies - the power boogie band for the 16 magazine graduating class. Rush Archives, a reissue of the first LPs, is docked one star for pointlessness."

I don't know what this is, but I feel like I'm going to be playing it for hours.
 Based on a numbers game.

Slide like boxes into each other to double them up.

Two 2s squares turn into one 4 square

Two 4s turn into one 8

Two 8s turn into one 16

etc until two 1024 squares turn into 1 2048 square 

Northern Voice said:
The Beths’ Future Me Hates Me is super catchy indie guitar pop. 
I'm late on this, but I might just listen to this album for the rest of the year. Aussie girl guitar rock is so strong right now (The Beths, Courtney Barnett, Alex Lahey, etc...)
thanks for chatting these guys up. spotify tells me I loaded a single from the album up already, but I didn't remember that or the band. nice to listen to the whole album

fwiw, they're kiwi.

I hope I don't get tired of post-punk/guitar jangly guitars- there's been a lot of great stuff coming from aussie, kiwi, netherlands... pretty much all over.

Any love for the newest Alice in Chains album? As an old school AIC fan it's taken a few listens but there are some solid tracks.

**The One You Know

**So Far Under

**Rainier Fog

*Red Giant

*Fly

*Maybe

*Deaf Ears Blind Eyes

RR looks great this morning...

beirut, protomartyr, blonde redhead, unknown mortal orchestra (new album- IIRC, their second of the year), together PANGEA, and more!

One of the (few) good Jeffs btw.
My friend was wearing a Jeff Rosenstock shirt in the shape of the Dead Kennedys logo. An eleven or twelve year-old girl came up to him. "Cool shirt," she said. I knew then that punk was not dead, but was the mainstream. It was funny. Maybe it was just Boston, but it was a little bit funny, to me at least.   

Oh, he simply said "thanks" and we went about our business. Just a weird interlude into a nice day.   

Ty covers album out today. 
deerhoof with a cover album of music from the shining. just listened to midnight, the stars and you and it's freaking me out.
together PANGEA's latest ep has a decent, albeit pretty straight up, cover of Devo's Gates of Steel. Devo... I don't forget, but sometimes I guess I forget how really good their first couple albums were- still lots of guitars and basically punk.

they've only got a few songs up on spotify, and I mentioned them while back when they first popped up for me... but every time one of their tunes plays on any of my spotify feeds, I always stop and listen- nothing fancy, straight forward garage/post right in my wheelhouse. hoping FONTAINES D.C. put out an album soon. example A

and today, spotify gave me Boy Azooga and their new album 1,2, Kung Fu! a bit more produced and layered than my usual stuff, but in the same direction- I like.

Bad Release Radar but the new song by the Men is awesome. 
looks like that's on mine too, along with a bunch of remixes. others that might be good:

GBV single

Young Fathers single

Dead Can Dance ?!

Sneaks

Public Access TV

Plague Vendor (stupid name, but IIRC, I like what I've heard)

Beirut

also- LCD doing a heaven 17 cover, that sounded pretty good (we don't need that fascist groove thing)

eta: unknown mortal orchestra- a guy/band I like a lot- has an EP out of "themed/smart/intellectual" music that's pretty bleh.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We Hunt Buffalo" I think I liked their last one better, but they fall right into the stoner/doom genre that's been spinning out great stuff all year.. some of y'all will dig 

boygenius is like a distaff version of the Thorns consisting of Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker.  Their EP is a nice listen if you like any of the artists or if you want to get in touch with your feminine side.

Users who are viewing this thread