What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (1 Viewer)

Do we like the “new” Car Seat Headrest? I think it’s pretty good but not all songs need to be over six minutes long. Brevity can be your friend. 
I like it. I liked Teens of Denial better. Thought that one was a nice sonic departure from the lo fi Brian Wilson/Beach Boys thing.

Agreed. I’ve never heard the lo-fi rendition from 2011. Were those versions all so long?

I still like this album quite a bit though. 
I have not heard the old one. And yeah it’s good. Just wish I could throw a couple of these on a playlist without three minutes of weird #### tacked on to the end. 

Pissed Jeans rules.
Go back and check out earlier stuff from them if you aren't familiar.   King of Jeans and Honeys are similarly amazing, and their older releases are pretty great too but not quite as polished as the more recent ones. 

I didn't vote here because I'm lame don't listen to as much music as I used to, but Pissed Jeans WHY LOVE NOW and Idles BRUTALISM are my 1a and 1b of 2017, and the next item on the list isn't very close to these 2 records. 

Go back and check out earlier stuff from them if you aren't familiar.   King of Jeans and Honeys are similarly amazing, and their older releases are pretty great too but not quite as polished as the more recent ones. 

I didn't vote here because I'm lame don't listen to as much music as I used to, but Pissed Jeans WHY LOVE NOW and Idles BRUTALISM are my 1a and 1b of 2017, and the next item on the list isn't very close to these 2 records. 
Ugh. You should have. We might have moved Idles to best record of the year. I don't listen to as much music as I used to either, and sat for a week or two and just listened to the consensus new releases culled from about ten different trusted lists. 

I'm sure I missed stuff. It used to be that I had a great gatekeeper in Maximum Rock N' Roll to get me to the promised land; I no longer really have that.  

Anyway, Pissed Jeans's vocals just don't do it for me. I could never get into them.  

Just got it cuz it is the most badass album art I've seen.
No, it's awesome. I love album art and colored vinyl. I was more making a joke at my own expense.  

eta* I just took a Valentine's Day Gift Card and ordered The La's on vinyl and plan to frame it on my wall with a nice frame and matte.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, Pissed Jeans's vocals just don't do it for me. I could never get into them.  
It's certainly not something they put at the top of their resume.   But for me the vocals became very much JesusLizardy -- Hardest part to swallow up front -- but eventually become an integral part of the charm.   

AhrnCityPahnder said:
It's certainly not something they put at the top of their resume.   But for me the vocals became very much JesusLizardy -- Hardest part to swallow up front -- but eventually become an integral part of the charm.   
Ah, gotcha. I saw Jesus Lizard live once. I kinda liked them. It's a vague memory. All I remember is that my friend had shaved his head into a curly mohawk and wore an authentic fireman's long-coat to the show. This was at a preppy university in 1995 or so. Neither of us were drunk.    

Okay, so I'm finishing up the new Franz Ferdinand album and some of the songs are deceptively good, but I wish they'd turn up the BPM on the disco because that's how I prefer it. "Huck and Jim" could use more guitars, and "Feel The Love Go" could use a more accelerated beat and not be the worse for it. That would push those songs from good to awesome, IMHO. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but it sounds too slow, less heavy and jangly than their predecessors.  

"Feel The Love Go" could use a more accelerated beat and not be the worse for it. That would push those songs from good to awesome, IMHO. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but it sounds too slow, less heavy than their predecessors.  
I think this was my favourite song on the first pass through. 'Lazy Boy' is so stupid it becomes infectious after a certain point.

I think this was my favourite song on the first pass through. 'Lazy Boy' is so stupid it becomes infectious after a certain point.
Yeah, I think the back end of the album salvages it. 'Huck and Jim' is, on first impression, my favorite, and second to that is 'Feel...' 

Still a quality band, but they're never gonna be that band that brought rock and disco together like first two albums did. They're such a good band, and one of the favorites of my adulthood/youth IMHO.  

AhrnCityPahnder said:

:wub:

I think I had them 1-2 in my list.

And iirc, both were tough to swallow for the usuals in here primarily because of the vocals (which I love)

AhrnCityPahnder said:

I was wrong in my memory. Had PJ at 5.

1. Idles

2. White reaper

3. Priests

4. LCD

5. Pissed

ericttspikes said:
I like it. I liked Teens of Denial better. Thought that one was a nice sonic departure from the lo fi Brian Wilson/Beach Boys thing.
After a couple of listens, I'm liking the new csh. It's different enough from last couple to intrigue me, but also has some hooks. As time has gone on, I've found myself really enjoying the slow burn songs from Teens of Style. 

Tanlines popped up on my release radar today- decent indie/poppy band, enjoyed their last album. They have an ep of classic kids songs- row,row yer boat, happy and you know it, itsy bitsy spider, alphabet song, old macdonald...  makes me wish my kids were younger- really fun indie/pop versions that make those overplayed tunes fresh and palatable.

Tanlines popped up on my release radar today- decent indie/poppy band, enjoyed their last album. They have an ep of classic kids songs- row,row yer boat, happy and you know it, itsy bitsy spider, alphabet song, old macdonald...  makes me wish my kids were younger- really fun indie/pop versions that make those overplayed tunes fresh and palatable.
LOL. I'm listening to this right now too. My reaction went from excited to lame to ya know, it's not that bad

LOL. I'm listening to this right now too. My reaction went from excited to lame to ya know, it's not that bad
:goodposting:  

tbh, I don't see this as something I'd listen to again... but if the kids were still in the baby-pre-k age, it would definitely go into heavy rotation.

:goodposting:  

tbh, I don't see this as something I'd listen to again... but if the kids were still in the baby-pre-k age, it would definitely go into heavy rotation.
my kids are 9 and 11.  This ship has sailed.  Maybe I'll play Highlights tonight for the umpteenth time for the family. 

my kids are 9 and 11.  This ship has sailed.  Maybe I'll play Highlights tonight for the umpteenth time for the family. 
mine are 10 and 6... might give the 6 yo a listen, but she's currently into chainsmokers type of pop music, so I have a feeling she's moved on as well.

The Regrettes new EP is pretty nice. I think a couple people voted for last year's Alex Lahey album, this is similar, female poppy rock vocals over a bunch of punky guitars.

Come Through

Red Light

The rest of it is a "Teenager in Love" cover and acoustic versions of two of the better songs on last year's album, so it's a quick listen but I think those two songs are worth checking out.

The Regrettes new EP is pretty nice. I think a couple people voted for last year's Alex Lahey album, this is similar, female poppy rock vocals over a bunch of punky guitars.

Come Through

Red Light

The rest of it is a "Teenager in Love" cover and acoustic versions of two of the better songs on last year's album, so it's a quick listen but I think those two songs are worth checking out.
Think I took one of their tunes for the song draft as well.

Users who are viewing this thread