What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (2 Viewers)

Yeah, not up my alley, but thanks for alerting me to a new record from the Raveonettes. I like that band a lot, actually.  
I think you had it right- their more garagey stuff way back was more appealing to me, but off hand I don't think I've loved their newer sound

New McCafferty LP out today - Yarn.  I totally super loved their EP from last year, but was a bit worried after the split they released earlier this year.... but this is the McCafferty I love.  ONly the 2nd album this year that I cranked all the way through on first listen.

New Sunflower Bean record today
This is pretty good.  It's more polished and less shoe-gazey than their first album with a definite improvement in the quality of songwriting hooks.

RIYL:  Alvvays, Beach House and similar poppy bands with girl singers.

This is pretty good.  It's more polished and less shoe-gazey than their first album with a definite improvement in the quality of songwriting hooks.

RIYL:  Alvvays, Beach House and similar poppy bands with girl singers.
Sounds a lot different that their last one. I like it. 

Absolutely loving Computer Magic's Danz.  Album gets dangerously close to being just another fuzzy synthy female vocalist in the rotation, but there's just something about this one that grabs me.  Right up my alley genre-wise.  "Perfect Game"

Anyone familiar with Mt. Joy?  I heard them on XPN this afternoon, and liked what I heard on Spotify after checking them out. Silver Lining is the song I heard...

Steve Tasker said:
Absolutely loving Computer Magic's Danz.  Album gets dangerously close to being just another fuzzy synthy female vocalist in the rotation, but there's just something about this one that grabs me.  Right up my alley genre-wise.  "Perfect Game"
Also really enjoying Germany Germany's JuneauTitle track

Kinda like a hybrid of something you'd hear from Tycho, STRFKR, and Explosions in the Sky all rolled into one.  Mostly instrumental, ambient at times, but some scattered vocals throughout.  A solid example of where post-rock + synth line-up in today's music.

Something called U.S. Girls (a solo act I think) with a new album I thought sounded pretty good, fresh/hip with a lot of influences, that kind of thing 
Yeah, this is really good. I gave it a listen when it came out and kind of glossed over it, I guess I was working or something at the time because I really like this. It is basically a solo act - Meg Remy who is American but has lived in Toronto and been around the local clubs for at least five years I'd say and the "group" with her here are all regulars from that scene. They've been a hyped band for a while here but this lives up to it.

Pearly Gates (I did a google search and it returned no results but does anyone else hear some Warren G - Regulate in the chorus here?)

Rosebud

Mad as Hell

Last edited by a moderator:
Does John Madden's Lunchbox still post here?   I haven't been active here in years, but we went to see OMD a couple of nights ago and it made me think of him.  They were suprisingly awesome for old dudes. :thumbup:

Does John Madden's Lunchbox still post here?   I haven't been active here in years, but we went to see OMD a couple of nights ago and it made me think of him.  They were suprisingly awesome for old dudes. :thumbup:
He does during some drafts, actually. He participates. He's a pretty darn cool guy and would love your OMD reference, if I'm not mistaken, though I can't speak for him.  

If you saw an African-American woman on crutches in front of the stage, that would be Mrs. Eephus

They played a show at the GAMH earlier this year.
Yeah they've been ramping 'em up. They've played a few shows here, LA and NYC. Maybe I'm biased, but it seems like they're still more "real band" than just "reunion cash-in." Although I certainly don't begrudge 'em the money.

I hope Jawbreaker records some new material.  I'd be interested in hearing what Blake Schwarzenbach has to say at age 50.
He was in a band called Thorns of Life awhile back, which then morphed into the forgetters (a couple of songs carried over), who put out an album that's ok. But thorns of life was the cat's pajamas. Vivid Green and Ribbonhead were great. No real official studio stuff, just gotta find whatever on Youtube.

He was in a band called Thorns of Life awhile back, which then morphed into the forgetters (a couple of songs carried over), who put out an album that's ok. But thorns of life was the cat's pajamas. Vivid Green and Ribbonhead were great. No real official studio stuff, just gotta find whatever on Youtube.
I think I like his records with Jets to Brazil better than Jawbreaker

release radar with some new singles by bands I like (fingers' crossed)...

-stephen malkmus & jicks

-unknown mortal orchestra

-together PANGEA

-the horrors

-eels

-girls names

-iceage

-two door cinema club

-king tuff

-speedy ortiz

-courtney barnett

-mount eerie

anybody an Eels fan? riyl- Spoon, imo... but with more of a throwback sound. their new singles have all been really good- recommend. 

how about Lizzo? missy elliotish.

New Kasey Musgraves album today - I have loved most of her previous releases, so I'll look forward to streaming this one later today.  She played the song "Butterfly" (or "Butterflies", not sure I caught the title right) this morning on the "Today Show" earlier today and if you like your country with a subtle, reflined dash of pedal steel, then this song is a great start.

And she still is easy on the eyes (Review and pic from NPR)

Users who are viewing this thread