What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Single dads/moms: when did you allow your new S.O. to meet your kids? (1 Viewer)

Tusken Raider

Footballguy
After an extremely rocky nine-year marriage, my ex wife and I were granted a divorce in November. It was very expensive and terribly ugly, and ended with me getting the house, and primary custody of our six-year old son.

(Quick divorce backstory):

She and I have discussed divorce for several years now, but have tried working on our issues to benefit our son. In June, I told her I was filing, so she moved out of our home and took our son with her, keeping him from me for a month without letting me contact him at her parents' home. She has always played the victim card throughout our relationship, and in every facet of her life outside of our marriage. So she started a smear campaign against me, that included her filing restraining orders and criminal charges against me, lodging complaints to my employer, and even speaking with the news media about me. Thankfully, all of these were baseless and simply a length she was attempting to go through in order to make her appear to be a victim. Everyone involved quickly saw through her allegations, and every one of her complaints/allegations were dismissed. She was admonished in court and by the police multiple times. In August, the court ruled she was intentionally attempting to damage my relationship with our son and gave me temporary custody, which became permanent upon the November final ruling. Yep, I had a five-month divorce process due to the court seeing the level of insane measures that my ex was attempting to stir up to bolster her side of things.

Today, she and I still have a "No Contact" order in effect between us, and we can only contact each other through email. This was instituted by the court in August, and upon recommendation from my attorney, remains in effect indefinitely.

My son has adjusted to the change extremely well, does great in school, and goes to a therapist once per month (which has always ended with the psychologist telling me that he sees no major issues with my son). He gets to see his mother through supervised visitation up to three times per week. Overall, the only major day-to-day change that he has seen has been mommy moving out. He understands that Dad and Mommy now have their own homes, and that she and I will always be his parents.

I met a woman in August through a friend of mine, and we've been seeing each other for almost 5 months now. She's very positive, smart, has a great career, and knows most of the details & circumstances of the divorce & custody situation. She has no children, and before we met, she spent the last eight years in a live-in relationship that fizzled away. We're seeing each other exclusively - I'm 44, she's 38. She lives about an hour and a half drive from my home, so we only actually see each other once/week. Needless to say, I've been emotionally detached from my ex for a while now, knowing that our marriage was really over years ago. Around a year ago I finally moved on from her, once I knew divorce was the only option for us, so I don't feel that this is just a rebound relationship.

At some point, I'm going to introduce my son to her. He and his needs will always come first when it comes to any relationship of mine. I'm planning on first introducing them to each other in a family setting with other family members around, or in a public place where he and I meet her, and see how things go. 

I've received a lot of advice on this from my family, as well as from other close friends who are divorced, but wanted to hear some other opinions from outside folks who may have had similar circumstances such as mine.

When did you realize the time was right to introduce your young child(ren) to your new significant other? How did you do it, and how did you explain it to your kid(s)? And most importantly, what was the end result for everyone involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
My situation was similar but without the crazy.  Mine was also a discussion of divorce for the last four of a 12 year destructive marriage and I decided in May 2014, divorced in November of same year.  At time of divorce I was 43 with twin daughters age 11.  Shared custody situation.

Personally, I wouldn't introduce her to your son at all, unless you get to the point where one of the two of you is moving to a location where the two of you could possibly live together or spend significant time together.  Once a week is super easy to keep things going good.  So why not just do that, keep it light.  It's only been a month post divorce.  For the record, I ended up waiting about 2 years before introducing my kids to someone.

Also, the reality of the situation is that while spending time with a new friend is a nice diversion, the overwhelming likely hood is that the relationship does not work out long term.  From my experience, I'd argue you are better off meeting other people anyways, or even better to spend time single to get to know yourself and what you really want out of life for you and your son.

There will always be plenty of chicks out there...

WOW. 

Really sorry for the way your initial relationship worked out, and it likely doesn't relate to mine enough to answer your question the way you framed it. I'm closer to flranger maybe with the shared situation--our separation was mutual, pretty much initiated by something stupid that I said.  

So I'll start with this: Your kids are #1. All I cared about when I separated with my first wife was our son--same priority with her--and whoever had primary responsibility it didn't matter; our son was #1. We made sure to allow for each other's involvement with him; she had primary custody, unlike what you describe. 

Now back to the point: My son was #1, Understand here that the only reason I said "was" is because he is an adult now and out of the house. When I got involved in a relationship again (it was years--I was not looking), he was the first person I introduced her to. Actually that's not correct--he knew her well before she and I got involved. So basically, I had his buy-in prior to getting remarried again--not that I asked, but there was a relationship between them already so it was a natural progression. She also had a daughter and the same consideration was made on both sides. 

Good luck. There's no manual for this; best wishes for all y'all particularly your kids. 

i was separated for a few years before the divorce went final. my son was 3 when i was willing to date again. i was in my early 40's and went the online dating route. i was upfront about my status and situation with my dates/matches/whatever. i waited a month or so before inviting them over for dinner or meeting at the park. they were always a "friend" and would observe a certain code of conduct around him. they always left before it was his bedtime or whatever so he could talk to me, ask questions or share his experience that day with her around. it usually went pretty well for all parties. it was months before a "friend" could stay past his bedtime or stay over. 

glumpy said:
our separation was mutual, pretty much initiated by something stupid that I said. 
You got separated just for saying something stupid??  I’m not sure if I want to know what it was because I’m so curious or having something that I could potentially use if the need arises.

You got separated just for saying something stupid??  I’m not sure if I want to know what it was because I’m so curious or having something that I could potentially use if the need arises.
I'm not going into details because that's private. There are certain things you can say in the midst of an argument that are designed to hurt. You're arguing, right? You want to "win".

Well--the only good thing is that we are still good friends, and we still like and love each other, and we share a son who we both love and are proud of--but we are both remarried to partners that we love as well, after some years to regroup.

"Yes dammit! Those jeans do make your ### look fat"

I guess that's the outcome when you answer honestly 

Thanks for the replies so far. Pretty much what I've been hearing from friends and family. 

My son and I have always had a nice close bond. It killed me when my ex left with him this summer, and I went a month without seeing or even talking to him; it bothered him when he and I spoke about it. He and I have always done a lot together on our own (the ex had turned selfish and reclusive, unless the activity was her idea), and I'm not gonna change the amount of time he and I are used to spending together.

He's used to seeing me be around females I'm friends with who have kids of their own, and since he's been a baby, I've always been the parent who has taken him to birthday parties of friends/classmates. So it's not like introducing him to another female adult would be that odd.

The difference here is when it would appropriate in bringing a woman around with no other kids present. Things like having her over for dinner with him, the three of us hitting a park, etc. My main focus would be in making sure he didn't think I was trying to replace "Mommy," or him thinking my new friend would be getting my attention instead of him. I already make sure that I mention "Mommy" to him a lot when he's with me, have him send her messages, and keep photos of her and the three of us in his room. 

Keep the responses coming.

Thanks for the replies so far. Pretty much what I've been hearing from friends and family. 

My son and I have always had a nice close bond. It killed me when my ex left with him this summer, and I went a month without seeing or even talking to him; it bothered him when he and I spoke about it. He and I have always done a lot together on our own (the ex had turned selfish and reclusive, unless the activity was her idea), and I'm not gonna change the amount of time he and I are used to spending together.

He's used to seeing me be around females I'm friends with who have kids of their own, and since he's been a baby, I've always been the parent who has taken him to birthday parties of friends/classmates. So it's not like introducing him to another female adult would be that odd.

The difference here is when it would appropriate in bringing a woman around with no other kids present. Things like having her over for dinner with him, the three of us hitting a park, etc. My main focus would be in making sure he didn't think I was trying to replace "Mommy," or him thinking my new friend would be getting my attention instead of him. I already make sure that I mention "Mommy" to him a lot when he's with me, have him send her messages, and keep photos of her and the three of us in his room. 

Keep the responses coming.
I’m not in this position, but my best friend is. He has never (in 3 years) brought a date around his son. His personal / love life is lived when his son isn’t around. He intends to keep things this way. Says his sons happiness is priority and he doesn’t want to make his son conflicted. 

I cant say I disagree with him.

I have no direct experience with this, so take this with that grain of salt.

Six years old seems on the young side, and once a week or so seems infrequent, so I wouldn’t push it. I bet you are proud of your kid and want her to meet him, but he may not get it.

Two thoughts, ask the psych, bet he’s run into this before! ;)  And maybe as a way for her to meet him, have her go to a school event, like a concert or something maybe not even sit with you, just be aware of who he is, so she can see him and how proud you are of him.

If he were older, I’d say no problem, I just think he’s on the young side.

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer here. The important thing seems to be that your son comes first, and that you are trying to do this in a thoughtful way that makes sense for him. You are doing that, so I'm sure however you do it will be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread