What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Harris, BUF (1 Viewer)

LOL "tight hips" sure is the new buzz word around the scouting community.  It's like every scout thinks they have to use the term about somebody to be taken seriously.
I always laugh when I see this. I missed the hip range of motion test at the combine. 

Alabama RB Damien Harris is visiting the Baltimore Ravens and Dallas Cowboys.

Harris (5'10/216) would be a surprising second-round pick for both teams since they both have a starting running back, but the Ravens have been very active in evaluating this running back class. Ironically, NFL Film's Greg Cosell compares Harris to Ravens' starter Mark Ingram. Most evaluators believe Harris has a capped ceiling, but he's one of the safest running back prospects in the class.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 3, 2019, 9:02 AM

I found it weird that Mark Ingram went to talk to Josh Jacobs and not Damien Harris in a "back to campus" thing on NFL Network.  What's up with that?  

Not sure if Harris has a guy coming for him or not but I saw the Ingram/Jacobs video already.  

LOL "tight hips" sure is the new buzz word around the scouting community.  It's like every scout thinks they have to use the term about somebody to be taken seriously.
I caught a ton of flack for saying Abdullah lacked loose hips. Something that would've helped offset his lack of size (weight).

You often hear the "tight hips" criticism regarding CBs, but it's a key evaluation tool for RBs, IMO (especially smaller guys). There's just no replacing the advantages gained by loose hips in tight quarters or when approaching a lone defender at full speed (think Matt Forte & Jamal Charles). A RB doesn't have to possess loose hips to be effective depending on their other attributes, but it certainly helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantasy Lab's Adam Levitan lists Alabama RB Damien Harris as one of two running backs who met all six of his minimum athletic thresholds for fantasy football success.

While his 40-yard dash time of 4.57 seconds barely meets "your humble narrator" Adam Levitan's speed threshold (4.60 seconds), Harris' size (5'10/216) is ideal and his vertical (37) and broad (117) jumps suggest he has quality explosion. At Alabama, the greatest college football coach of all time decided to give more looks to Harris than projected first-rounder Joshua Jacobs, which led to three-straight seasons with at least 800 rushing yards for the underappreciated back. On top of the rushing production, Harris quietly caught 22 passes last season, so he has the potential to stay on the field for all three downs in the NFL if he lands on the right team.

SOURCE: DK Playbook

Apr 13, 2019, 11:08 AM

A poll of NFL evaluators concluded that Alabama's Damien Harris is the second-best running back in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Josh Jacobs was the clear top vote-getter, but the rest of the class are grouped pretty close together. Harris (5'10/216) isn't a flashy player in any way, but he checks boxes as a runner, receiver, and athlete on top of being an Alabama leader. The rest of the top-five running backs are ranked as follows: David Montgomery, Darrell Henderson, Miles Sanders, and Devin Singletary. For the rest of rankings, visit the link below.

SOURCE: Bob McGinn Football

Apr 23, 2019, 6:35 PM

Patriots selected Alabama RB Damien Harris with the No. 87 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Harris (5’10/216) was the rare Alabama back to spend all four years in school, graduating with a career 477/3,070/23 (6.4 YPC) rushing line and 52/407/2 (7.8 YPR) receiving. Harris held off higher-rated Josh Jacobs for the Crimson Tide’s 2018 rushing lead, demonstrating reliability as a runner, pass catcher, and blocker. The Combine reinforced Harris’ high-floor, potentially limited-ceiling profile with 4.57 speed and 57th-percentile SPARQ results. Nevertheless, Harris’ versatile and trustworthy game should earn him an extended stay in the league as a complement to Sony Michel and James White. Rex Burkhead's roster security is suddenly tenuous.

Apr 26, 2019, 8:48 PM

Love the kid's talent.  I'll probably take a flier on him.  Taking a RB in the 3rd round doesn't scream confidence in the current situation--which seems odd.  But none the less, the upside for where you have to pick him is totally worth it.

All I know is if I'm a Sony Michel owner (and I am), I am drafting Harris earlier than I normally would even with the Belichick RB nightmare rotation.

All I know is if I'm a Sony Michel owner (and I am), I am drafting Harris earlier than I normally would even with the Belichick RB nightmare rotation.
I'm also a Sony owner and I just took Harris at 2.01 in a 12 teamer....notable guys still on the board included M Brown, Debo, Isabella, JJAW, and Butler

I grabbed him with the 1.09 pick in a non PPR.

Maybe because i didnt really pay attention much this year or what, but i didnt love anyone from this years class.

We shall see.

Minicamp Blogservations: Damien Harris getting some run

Excerpt:

While most eyes have been on rookie first-round pick N’Keal Harry in terms of the draft class, it’s been hard not to notice third-rounder Damien Harris. The rookie running back out of Alabama received a ton a reps with Sony Michel missing the workouts for undisclosed reasons.

Harris shared the workload with Josh Jacobs and Bo Scarborough under Nick Saban at Alabama, so unlike many Crimson Tide players who enter the league with a lot of wear and tear, he looked fresh, quick and explosive albeit in shorts and a T-shirt.

At 215 pounds he’s more than comfortable carrying the load between the tackles and near the goal line, which many believed would be his role this season. Based on his mobility during camp, as well as his apparent comfort coming out of the backfield to catch the ball, perhaps he could be more than that as part of a deep and talented running back corps in New England.

“You can work on anything at this point,” Harris said. “That’s our objective — to get better at all phases of game. I know that’s my objective, to be the best player I can be. Whether that’s in the run game or the pass game, special teams, whatever I’m asked to do I want to come out here and do it at a high level.”

That began with some catches on Tuesday, but on Wednesday the focus was more on the running game and he took a lot of the early reps ahead of Rex Burkhead and Brandon Bolden, two veterans who obviously don’t need as much work in the system as a newcomer. That continued Thursday and Harris looked pretty sharp.

Michel was excellent at times as a rookie last season but never seemed to get comfortable in the passing game. Basically, anytime Michel was on the field the Patriots ran the ball, and those kinds of trends are what offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels likes to avoid.

Given Harris’ admittedly brief start, it’s possible he could join Burkhead as a candidate for a more diverse role, and with Michel out of the lineup he’s gotten some chances to pick up the system.

“I never met Sony previously, I know I played against him [in college],” Harris said. “But once I got here, him and all the running backs kind of welcomed me with open arms and they’re doing everything they can to help me.”

Harris’ selection at 87 overall raised some eyebrows, but based on the lack of depth at receiver and tight end, it’s possible Bill Belichick expects to lean more heavily on his running back group to create offense in 2019.

I grabbed him with the 1.09 pick in a non PPR.

Maybe because i didnt really pay attention much this year or what, but i didnt love anyone from this years class.

We shall see.
Seems early, but he's been one of my value picks.

Wouldn't shock me if he did better than Jacobs

You have to ask yourself how much of sonys injury history played into this pick.  I had initially pegged Harris as a Burkhead replacement, but as we get deeper into preseason I'm not as sure.

Again this is ne we're talking about, so they could end up using Tom Brady as their top rb for a week and we shouldn't be surprised.

Roto:

The Athletic's Jeff Howe believes third-round RB Damien Harris could earn a "prominent role."

Per Howe, Harris had a "strong spring." Harris has been earning steady hype as Sony Michel sits with unknown injury issues. Word has been spreading that Harris will challenge Michel on early downs. Harris is currently a free flier in the final rounds of fantasy drafts.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe believes third-round RB Damien Harris could earn a "prominent role."

Per Howe, Harris had a "strong spring." Harris has been earning steady hype as Sony Michel sits with unknown injury issues. Word has been spreading that Harris will challenge Michel on early downs. Harris is currently a free flier in the final rounds of fantasy drafts.

RELATED: 

Sony Michel

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 11, 2019, 4:51 PM ET

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports that third-round Patriots RB Damien Harris has looked natural on passing downs.

Per Howe, Harris has "shown good awareness while slipping out into the flats on passing downs." Howe believes it's "another trait that could make Harris a three-down player." Howe has been beating Harris' drum all offseason. With Sony Michel (knee) being handled with kid gloves, Harris is going to get a real opportunity to push for touches.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 30, 2019, 5:06 PM ET

Kevin Duffy ✔ @KevinRDuffy

We’ve seen very little from Damien Harris this summer. Just not getting many reps. Pretty clear that Sony is the No. 1 RB right now.

10:48 AM - Aug 12, 2019

Jeff Howe of The Athletic reports Damien Harris is battling a "minor" hand/wrist injury.

That may explain why we haven't seen much of Harris recently. Kevin Duffy of the Boston Herald reported Monday that Harris has ceded most of New England's first-team practice reps to Sony Michel, who has emerged as the "pretty clear" frontrunner to lead the Patriots' backfield. The third-round rookie is still a worthy handcuff for the injury-prone Michel, though he'll have to get healthy himself before fantasy owners can rely on him.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 12:56 PM ET

John Daigle @notJDaigle 

Damien Harris has reportedly been sprinkled in with #Patriots third-stringers while recovering from a minor wrist injury. The rookie is cleared for contact, but the team "doesn’t seem to have any interest in giving him a full workload” until fully healed.

As a Michel dynasty owner, glad that Harris hasn’t flashed in pre-season. Gives me a better chance at handcuffing him as others may not be that interested. I do think he’s got skills and Michel is not the model of health himself. 

uggh. Michel by all accounts has had a really good camp and now we see DH doing well.. is this going to be a Belichick special ,  2-headed RB thing or what?

I've been drafting / buying Harris as much as I can...so far 3 for 3 (2 drafted, 1 buy); still 2 more drafts to go and the way I see it 2 more opportunities.  TBH, his latest performance would have been better in wk 3 as I'm sure his stock will rise a tad.

Users who are viewing this thread