What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Harris, BUF (2 Viewers)

Damien Harris rushed 14 times for 80 yards in the Patriots' second preseason game Saturday.

Harris was tackled at the half-yard line just short of a touchdown. He also caught all four of his targets for 23 yards, totaling 103 yards on the evening. Harris didn't play in the preseason opener against the Lions due to a minor hand issue, but he got the "start" Saturday against the Titans with Sony Michel and James White resting. Harris was an offseason hype piece, but that hype appeared to die down for a few weeks while he was sidelined. This performance should restart it, though Michel still appears to have a good grip on No. 1 duties.

Aug 18, 2019, 11:49 AM ET

I watched this game just now. Well, the first half of it anyway, and my takeaway is that yes, Harris looked pretty good hitting the holes and grinding out the yards. However, the real takeaway was how well the Oline blocked and disguised the run /pass plays that ultimately left the holes open for Harris to hit at full speed. They looked the part of road graders and Wynn specifically looked awesome. He had some great blocks, but that one that allowed Bolden to score was sick.

In any case, Harris looks like he has the blount role locked up. He most definitely does not look like a feature back to me.

I was most impressed by his hands. A couple of those throws weren’t on target and he caught them easily. He looks like he could threaten Michel and White’s workload.

Damien Harris has "reinforced" the Patriots' belief that he's simply "a really great football player" with his performance in preseason camp.

Camp reports have been a little mixed, but Harris looked good in his preseason debut last week. ESPN's Mike Reiss said Harris "displayed a hard-charging running style and the ability to catch the ball as well", two things the Patriots' player of personnel believed in when they drafted Harris in the third-round one year after spending a first on Sony Michel. Harris' path to volume is tricky with Michel and James White ahead on the depth chart, but he's capable of filling an early-down or third-down role if either were to miss time, making him a worthwhile double-digit round investement in fantasy.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 22, 2019, 10:08 AM ET

I was feeling when he was drafted that he would take over the burkhead role.  Nothing so far has changed that. He'll have some quality fantasy weeks, but when they happen only Bill knows.

no work with the 1s, all preseson. 

glowing reports coming from Pats camp regarding Sony Michel, he looks terrific

Less pass, more run , as a whole, for the Pats offense in 2019. 

Harris won't sniff 400 yards rushing. it's the Sony Michel show.

as per usual Dr Dan is wrong, just like  nearly everything else he speaks about. Watch Harris arrive on the back of milk cartons come sept 8th.

no work with the 1s, all preseson. 

glowing reports coming from Pats camp regarding Sony Michel, he looks terrific

Less pass, more run , as a whole, for the Pats offense in 2019. 

Harris won't sniff 400 yards rushing. it's the Sony Michel show.

as per usual Dr Dan is wrong, just like  nearly everything else he speaks about. Watch Harris arrive on the back of milk cartons come sept 8th.
This may be true but where is he going to be Nov 8th? Dec 8th?.  With how BB is with RB at some point Harris is going to get his shot unfortunately it's hard to predict with how BB treats his backs.  I love Michel's talent but do you honestly think he can hold up the entire season being the main back? 

Everything I can find online suggest Michel is fine.

Michel got 10 carries in I'm guessing what was 1/2 a game.  If they're willing to give him 10 touches in the pre-season, I'm guessing they feel pretty good about his knee at this point.  Harris is a really nice insurance policy and may get a handful of touches here and there.  I'm not opposed to getting him on the cheap in case the knee starts acting up.  

Damien Harris handled two carries for eight yards before exiting with an undisclosed injury in New England's third preseason game against the Panthers.

The team didn't report on Harris' injury once he exited in the midst of his only drive, so perhaps it's much ado about nothing. The fact remains the rookie failed to see the field while Tom Brady was under center, and even more telling, didn't handle a single goal-line carry behind Sony Michel and FB James Develin. There's a role in place for Harris, but Michel's outstanding (and healthy) showing on 10 carries likely buries the rookie on the depth chart until an injury occurs in front of him. He's a stash-and-wait prospect as the current RB45 off fantasy boards.

Aug 22, 2019, 10:22 PM ET

I feel this board suffers from SNT Syndrome with Harris. Burkhead is clearly still the #2 back in NE. Harris is a decent dynasty prospect, but even if Michel is hurt Harris is no lotto ticket IMO. As posted, very telling that he didn't sniff the field with Brady behind center. Heck, depending on his ST involvement, he could even be a game day inactive more often than not.

The Athletic's Nick Underhill reports Damien Harris is "fine" after leaving Thursday's third preseason game early with an injury.

Harris' role come Week 1 remains unclear. Sony Michel has had a terrific summer by most accounts, and James White has his normal pass-game role to fill. That leaves Harris as a mere in-case-of-emergency back who will likely get a couple touches here and there when everyone is healthy.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Aug 23, 2019, 10:42 AM ET

I read an article about the Demaryius Thomas cut and potential resigning that he Patriots were going to bring him back and put Harry or Harris on IR. Harry ended up getting the designation but that had me concerned about Harris's health? Thought he was back at practice and ok, but who knows with the Patriots. Any news on his injury?

Anyone still stashing this guy as a possible lottery ticket?  
Just dropped him for Darwin Thompson.  I'm thinking @tombonneau was correct a few posts up when he said "even if Michel is hurt Harris is no lotto ticket IMO".  Burkhead isn't going away, and Michel hasn't exactly been lights out anyway.

Yes. Nothing has changed in my eyes. Michel’s knee will give out at some point and then Harris will get a chance. Pats are smart to save him for later in the year too.

Would have loved to, but bench spots weren't deep enough.  Chose to keep Darwin Thompson.  Michel may get dinged, but White is still their passing down back, and Burkhead is still looming.  Easier road to production for Darwin IMO.

Just dropped him for Darwin Thompson.  I'm thinking @tombonneau was correct a few posts up when he said "even if Michel is hurt Harris is no lotto ticket IMO".  Burkhead isn't going away, and Michel hasn't exactly been lights out anyway.
Yup still stand by this assessment. If Michel misses time it's a three way rbbc where I'd rank assets as

Burkhead

White

Harris

And those thinking BB is saving Harros I have to disagree. Pats could be on cusp of historic season and can't imagine part of BB's master plan is to start trusting a fresh rookie back in November. 

Would have loved to, but bench spots weren't deep enough.  Chose to keep Darwin Thompson.  Michel may get dinged, but White is still their passing down back, and Burkhead is still looming.  Easier road to production for Darwin IMO.
I made exactly the same decision. I dropped Harris for McClaurin. Dodn't really need a 5th WR, but he looks too good, and may have trade value soon. Which Harris has zero of.

I'm sticking with Damien.  With Belichick, anything could happen.  Michel has as high of an injury risk as any running back in the league besides Breida.  Damien might be talented enough that he runs away with the job if Michel is hurt.  And Harris is supposed to have great receiving skills which means he has elite fantasy running back potential if he became lead back.  Burkhead isn't real competition.  Burkhead is a good role player.  He isn't a lead back.  Belichick could give Burkhead or Bolden lead back duties for a game or two as a gesture of good will but then the job would likely be Damien's.  

I'm sticking with Damien.  With Belichick, anything could happen.  Michel has as high of an injury risk as any running back in the league besides Breida.  Damien might be talented enough that he runs away with the job if Michel is hurt.  And Harris is supposed to have great receiving skills which means he has elite fantasy running back potential if he became lead back.  Burkhead isn't real competition.  Burkhead is a good role player.  He isn't a lead back.  Belichick could give Burkhead or Bolden lead back duties for a game or two as a gesture of good will but then the job would likely be Damien's.  
I wouldn't call 52 receptions for 400 yards and 2 TDs in four years great receiving skills.

Come on Bill, let’s see what this kid can do. He has to be better than Bolden. 
Bolden is a regular on the Pats special teams though, has been for awhile actually. I've stashed Harris in a couple of leagues, but I don't think it's going to be justifiable holding him once bye weeks/injuries ramp up. It's not like his upside is even super high either since even if he takes over for one of Michel or Burkhead, it's going to be a 3-headed RBBC with James White.  I'd argue that you're better off just picking up R.Armstead or Ty Johnson as lottery tickets in case Kerryon or Fournette go down since those guys would seemingly step into lead back roles. 

Bolden is a regular on the Pats special teams though, has been for awhile actually. I've stashed Harris in a couple of leagues, but I don't think it's going to be justifiable holding him once bye weeks/injuries ramp up. It's not like his upside is even super high either since even if he takes over for one of Michel or Burkhead, it's going to be a 3-headed RBBC with James White.  I'd argue that you're better off just picking up R.Armstead or Ty Johnson as lottery tickets in case Kerryon or Fournette go down since those guys would seemingly step into lead back roles. 
I'd disagree. If Harris gets Michel's role, that is a recipe for high-end RB2 value. Michel should be a top-10 RB right now, if not for his own awful play. He gets tons of GL carries, and salt away game carries, and he's been maybe the least efficient RB in football at it. If Harris is even league average, he's an every week starter. If he were to show well, I don't think its unrealistic that it could become a 2-man backfield with Harris and White. Obviously, that is a best case scenario, but its on the table the way Michel is playing, let alone if there is an injury.

I don't think Ty Johnson would be an every down RB if Kerryon went down. JD McKissic is pretty much even with Johnson now, and would likely see at least passing down work. I agree with Armstead though. 

Bolden is a regular on the Pats special teams though, has been for awhile actually. I've stashed Harris in a couple of leagues, but I don't think it's going to be justifiable holding him once bye weeks/injuries ramp up. It's not like his upside is even super high either since even if he takes over for one of Michel or Burkhead, it's going to be a 3-headed RBBC with James White.
If he surpasses Michel on the depth chart, Harris could possibly get all of the non-White snaps.  Harris might also get some receptions.  If he does get 60% of snaps, he has the potential to be the best Patriots' fantasy back in a long time.  If he doesn't surpass Michel, he is cuttable during bye weeks without reservation.

If he surpasses Michel on the depth chart, Harris could possibly get all of the non-White snaps.  Harris might also get some receptions.  If he does get 60% of snaps, he has the potential to be the best Patriots' fantasy back in a long time.  If he doesn't surpass Michel, he is cuttable during bye weeks without reservation.
"if"

"could possibly"

"might"

"if"

"potential"

"if"

This dude literally has ZERO carries, and you're not only saying he can get carries, but catches too.

Under no circumstances will this guy be in on passing downs protecting Tom Brady. 

He came into the league with pass protection as a plus.  If you think he lacks at pass protection, then please expound.
I have seen nothing to prove this man can pass protect in the NFL for the greatest QB of all time. Perhaps you should expound. 

Last edited by a moderator:
nah, you trade for White now, while you still  have a chance to get him fairly cheap. Burkhead's about to blow a knee brushing his teeth, Michel is lousy. Harris might have a cameo or two this season, a bit role , but he's not going to be the savior  RB for the Pats - that man would be James White. probably starts tomorrow as they shift from Michel to competent, trusted performances from White.

I have seen nothing to prove this man can pass protect in the NFL for the greatest QB of all time. Perhaps you should expound. 
Have you seen anything that says he cannot pass protect?  He came into the league with pass protection as a plus.  I have no idea.  If you disagree, please expound.

Have you seen anything that says he cannot pass protect?  He came into the league with pass protection as a plus.  I have no idea.  If you disagree, please expound.
Sources?

And no, I haven't seen anything yet, and that's kind of the problem here buddy. 

I posted this in the Michel thread. People are pointing to how poorly Michel has done this year but consider:

Last year, NE had a healthy, oversized, and athletic OL. This year they have had to pick guys off the street to get through a bunch of injuries. 

Last year, the Pats had Gronk and Allen at TE as top tier run blockers. This year the TE’s on their roster have been banged up and can’t block. LaCosse is rated 76th out of 76 TE’s in blocking. Thirty eight year old Watson was suspended and was expected back this week but was not activated. 

Fullback Develin was their lead blocker for Michel last year and he is on IR now. Bottom line, when Michel excelled last year, he had 8 healthy guys blocking for him. This year he doesn’t have anything close to that. 

IMO, the Patriots running game is going to struggle all season and it won’t make any difference who the running back with the ball is. They will use their backs in the passing game, but none of them is going to do a ton running the football. The offense may produce some goal line carries, but there have been a lot less of those this year than in previous years. 

I posted this in the Michel thread. People are pointing to how poorly Michel has done this year but consider:

Last year, NE had a healthy, oversized, and athletic OL. This year they have had to pick guys off the street to get through a bunch of injuries. 

Last year, the Pats had Gronk and Allen at TE as top tier run blockers. This year the TE’s on their roster have been banged up and can’t block. LaCosse is rated 76th out of 76 TE’s in blocking. Thirty eight year old Watson was suspended and was expected back this week but was not activated. 

Fullback Develin was their lead blocker for Michel last year and he is on IR now. Bottom line, when Michel excelled last year, he had 8 healthy guys blocking for him. This year he doesn’t have anything close to that. 

IMO, the Patriots running game is going to struggle all season and it won’t make any difference who the running back with the ball is. They will use their backs in the passing game, but none of them is going to do a ton running the football. The offense may produce some goal line carries, but there have been a lot less of those this year than in previous years. 
All that is true. And at the same time, Michel looks like a completely different guy than he was in college. I would imagine that this is not what the Pats thought they were getting when they spent a first rounder on him. I think his knee issues are affecting him more than the Pats are letting on and James White is elite in terms of RB pass catching skills so Michel is not catching passes. 

Users who are viewing this thread