What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Harris, BUF (1 Viewer)

Patriots' NFL draft class of 2019 has chance to provide needed boost

Excerpt:

Damien Harris, running back (third round, No. 87): He played in two games after rushing for 876 yards and nine touchdowns, and catching 22 passes for 204 yards, in his final season at Alabama. Running backs coach Ivan Fears insisted Harris (5-foot-11, 213 pounds) did everything right behind the scenes, but was simply buried on a deep depth chart in a season when his position group was relatively healthy. Harris' lack of special-teams contributions factored into his minimal playing time. His power-running style, coupled with 2018 first-round pick Sony Michel, gives the Patriots a potentially nice one-two combination.

He's a player I'm hoping comes into his own in year two.  With ne only drafting tes it looks like they're going to be a ground n pound based team and Sony just didn't have "it" last year.  He's still on my taxi squad in a league with very few fa rbs and he'd be a great boost to my roster if he can get 10-15 touches a game.

Shane Vereen was a 2nd round draft pick (56th overall). He had 15 carries and 0 receptions as a rookie. He crept up to 62 carries and 8 receptions in his second year.
James White was a 4th round pick (130th overall). He had 9 carries and 5 receptions as a rookie. He progressed to 22 carries and 40 receptions in his second year.

As of right now, NE has Michel, White, Burkhead, Bolden, and a fullback all fighting for a piece of the pie. The Patriots are strapped for salary cap space, so it would not surprise me if they cut Burkhead (which would save them like $3 million against the cap). They could save $3.5 million if they opted to move on from White (which I think is less likely than Burkhead).

For Harris' sake, I am hoping that the Pats just had so many other options that he just has to bide his time until some of the other backs move on. While lots of people are saying Michel didn't have "it" last year, the only one that matters is BB. From interviews I heard with him, Bill passed the blame around to include the OL and TEs not doing their jobs and having a converted FB trying to learn on the fly as contributors to the lack of a steady running game. Bill did say that everyone needed to do better (including Michel), but it didn't sound like he was considering limiting Michel's carries. Maybe that will change this year, but NE really made no effort to even give Harris a chance to get on the field.

Patriots believe patience will pay off with rookie RB Damien Harris (December 29, 2019)

Excerpt:

FOXBORO — There have been more full moons this season than Damien Harris sightings on game days. 

The Patriots’ third-round rookie running back has been buried on the team’s depth chart and taken snaps in two games. He’s rushed four times for 12 yards, all during the Pats’ road blowout of the Jets in Week 8. No one has been a staple on the team’s game-day inactives list quite like Harris. 

But according to Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears, his time is coming. 

“Damien’s done a great job. Really has. Would love to see him (play),” Fears said Friday. “I think he’s got a great future. I think he’s going to be a real good back in this league.” 

Fears later added: “He just needs an opportunity to get out there and show everybody else what he does. We see it in practice, and we’re very pleased with where he is.” 

Fears, who predates Bill Belichick‘s tenure in New England as the head coach, noted the Pats have not suffered the injuries at running back this season they usually do. Additionally, while Sony Michel and James White shoulder much of the offensive load, Rex Burkhead and Brandon Bolden are among the team’s best special teams players. If all four are available, all four will be active, which makes Harris the odd man out. 

Coupled with Fears’ praise, the good news for the rookie is his status as a third-round pick reflects significant belief from the front office in his ability. And when Harris did see the field in the preseason, he was productive. It just may be a long wait until next summer that he gets another shot. 

I've been scooping him up everywhere. I don't expect a huge 2020. But I see the possibility where he is the lead back in 2021. He's talented, has high character, and decent draft capital. I'll take those kinds of fliers all day long when they are essentially free. 

I've been scooping him up everywhere. I don't expect a huge 2020. But I see the possibility where he is the lead back in 2021. He's talented, has high character, and decent draft capital. I'll take those kinds of fliers all day long when they are essentially free. 
Why not this year? Sony Michel looks quite pedestrian. 

Log jam at RB, weaker team that will likely ve trailing more, and history. A previous poster above shared tidbits about Vereen and White. His ceiling is capped this year barring injuries. 
Interesting. I think he needs to pop this year or its probably not going to happen for him. Doesn’t need to be the lead guy or have a huge year, but he should show us something exciting.

The odds are low that all four NE backs stay healthy/productive all year again. At some point he'll probably get enough carries to be evaluated.

I think he's one of the better lotto tickets out there. One the bright side, he has fresh legs after taking the year off and I'm hopeful he learned the offense so he won't be like a rookie coming in. I got him with a third round pick last year so I'm really rooting for him to show something. Always feels good to hit on a 3rd rounder. The only other time I ever did it was drafting Carson.

Why two injuries? I think it may turn out Burkhead is released(cap reasons). And it wouldn’t shock me if they release Bolden. And keep JJ Taylor. I imagine Taylor can return kicks. 
Sony is locking down the RZ stuff. White will still be the primary satellite back, I assume.

If Burkhead is cut, I'm buying.

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher

Damien Harris is one of my favorite RB picks in FF this season. Uber-cheap and has a legit chance of becoming the team's RB1 this season.
https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/1292460876814004224?s=21

Andrew Callahan @_AndrewCallahan

Finally, football! (Sorta.)

Find #Patriots training camp:

- Predictions

- Breakout players

- Position battles and more in the the Herald's 2020 preview

bostonherald.com/2020/08/09/pat…
https://twitter.com/_andrewcallahan/status/1292450262121091072?s=21

Details on Lamar Miller's contract. Since he was on IR last year, just like with Cam Newton, the Pats opted for the incentive route. His contract contains a lot of not likely to be earned incentives and weekly roster bonuses. (That basically give NE more cap flexibility.) He signed for the veteran minimum ($1.05). With incentives, he could make $2.5 million this season. Only $200,000 guaranteed.

This makes it really easy for the Pats to release him with very little damage to their cap. NE still has $32.3 million in cap space this year, and the most likely outcome is they don't spend much of it and roll it over to 2021.

Patriots training camp 2020: Rookies flash in physical practice, Brian Hoyer drops a bomb

Excerpt:

Player of the Day

RB Damien Harris

Over an unspectacular practice, Harris was consistent, reliable and productive. At this stage of training camp, that’s good enough.

Play after play, Harris made perfect reads during the Pats’ first live team drills dedicated to the run game. He impressively broke free several times, even if his offense was facing a collection of backups. Later on, Cam Newton trusted him with several check-down passes, including over a relaxed 2-minute drill. Harris caught every pass thrown his way.

The Alabama product looks more dynamic in his second season. No doubt, he benefited from the absences of Michel and Miller, eating up all the first reps they would have split otherwise. It’s unknown when either veteran back will return.

Until then, Harris seems intent on ensuring the running back position battle is as tight as the quarterbacks’.

Patriots second-year RB Damien Harris has been getting a "heavy workload" early in camp.

With Lamar Miller (knee) and Sony Michel (foot) sidelined, Harris has been getting plenty of run with the first-team offense with James White handling normal pass-game duties and Rex Burkhead mixing in here and there. Harris was barely used throughout his rookie year, rushing four times for 12 yards on a whopping five offensive snaps as a third-rounder. This summer has given Harris a prime opportunity to show the coaches he deserves more action in Year 2. With Michel questionable for the start of the season and Miller no sure thing to make it back from his torn ACL, Harris has major sleeper appeal. Harris is essentially a free square at the end of fantasy drafts right now.

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

Aug 18, 2020, 12:43 PM ET

He seems like one the best values right now. The slowed, shortened offseason might allow this kind of thing to slip under the radar a bit. 

CLNS' Evan Lazar reports Damien Harris "continues to stack good days together."

Lazar believes Harris "might be New England’s best skill player through two days." Per Lazar, Harris’ vision and cuts "continue to garner praise from RBs coach Ivan Fears." There is a long way to go, but making a good impression while Sony Michel and Lamar Miller remain on the shelf was the bare minimum Harris needed to accomplish this summer. He remains a bargain in his current ADP range of RB54-58. 

SOURCE: CLNS

Aug 18, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

Generally speaking over the years, the more a NE player does in the preseason, the less the player actually does in the regular season. Maybe Harris does see a lot bigger role, but there is a decent chance that Harris is getting a lot of work because Michel and Miller aren't there at the moment.

He seems like one the best values right now. The slowed, shortened offseason might allow this kind of thing to slip under the radar a bit. 
I don’t have him on any of my teams, but I wish I did. In those leagues his owners will have been keeping up with the news, unfortunately.

Perhaps, but BB did have 4 losing seasons out of 5 in Cleveland and another in NE, so he is capable of it.
How did the other 31 coaches in the NFL do 20-25 seasons ago? Because that’s the timeframe we are talking.

I have posted several times that the current NE team was very similar to the one from the early 2000s (but that was before all the opt outs). 

Bill will get the most out of them, so I doubt they will be horrible. Who knows how things will play out for any team given how crazy this year has been. 

Generally speaking over the years, the more a NE player does in the preseason, the less the player actually does in the regular season. Maybe Harris does see a lot bigger role, but there is a decent chance that Harris is getting a lot of work because Michel and Miller aren't there at the moment.
Michel may not play to start the season.  And Miller... Well I'm personally not big on older rbs coming off leg injuries.

But yeah, obviously Harris is getting work because those two are out.

It might be a little different this year given COVID and the new offense, QB being installed. Plus, Michel and Miller aren't really much of a hurdle. If Harris can't beat them out this year than he likely doesn't have much of a future. 

It might be a little different this year given COVID and the new offense, QB being installed. Plus, Michel and Miller aren't really much of a hurdle. If Harris can't beat them out this year than he likely doesn't have much of a future. 
He's 23. It really is time for a back in the NFL to sort of seize control by this year or next. Crucial steps here, though NE asks its backs to do different things. I'm with Anarchy99 on the caution, though. He got virtually no time last year and is only seemingly getting it due to injury and opt-outs.

He's 23. It really is time for a back in the NFL to sort of seize control by this year or next. Crucial steps here, though NE asks its backs to do different things. I'm with Anarchy99 on the caution, though. He got virtually no time last year and is only seemingly getting it due to injury and opt-outs.
Absolutely,  it is all about where I am getting him in mocks. Fantasy Pros has him as the 205, the 59th RB off the board. I will take my shot on him at that price. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I own him in 4/5 leagues and would love to sell on this news.  What kind of prices are you seeing on him?
I'd wait a week or two.  The buzz out of camp has been good so far and if it keeps up his price will rise.  As it is he's still just a late round moonshot who won't get you anything.

Hankmoody said:
I own him in 4/5 leagues and would love to sell on this news.  What kind of prices are you seeing on him?
Saw him and a 3rd round pick in 2021 for Evan Engram. I certainly prefer the Engram side of that.

Hankmoody said:
I haven’t inquired. I was responding to some one that said he could be cheap if people weren’t keeping up with the news. I liked him as a prospect but not quite willing to pay a second yet.

Patriots RB Damien Harris has stood out in every facet, including route running and pass blocking. 

Patriots beat writer Jeff Howe said Harris "looks comfortable in his route tree" and has consistently picked up blitzers. The laudatory reports keep coming for Harris, who has risen into the 11th round of 12-team leagues. The favorite for early-down work in New England, Harris has become a must-draft for fantasy players who go Zero RB, or something resembling it. Lamar Miller taking on a big role for the Patriots offense seems more unlikely every day. 

RELATED: 

Lamar Miller

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Aug 23, 2020, 3:18 PM ET

Mark Daniels @MarkDanielsPJ

Damien Harris continues to pop. He’s deceive when he runs and is also showing solid hands.
https://twitter.com/markdanielspj/status/1297929713105743873?s=21

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher

"Damien Harris also continues to stand out. He’s a hard and deceptive runner who also shows off nice hands. If he keeps up this pace, it would be a surprise if he didn’t play a lot come the regular season."
https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/1297948090394181633?s=21

wgoldsph said:
There is nothing I want more than for this guy to usurp Michael's role.
His adp as of today is round 10/11.  This seems really really off to me.  Before I looked it up I would have guessed 6/7 since Michel is coming off (another) injury.

Saw a newswire blurb where the guy was quoted as saying that Harris's job was his "to lose" and that he'd massively impressed in camp. Whether this was an insider's view or not I can't say, but it was something. More blurbs from news sources:

(RotoWire) ESPN's Mike Reiss believes that Harris has put himself in a good position to be "a primary option (in the Patriots' running game) alongside Rex Burkhead" to start the coming season. Analysis: Per Reiss, Harris' "fresh legs and soft hands in the passing game" have helped the second-year back take advantage of the continued absence of Sony Michel (foot), whose Week 1 status is cloudy. If Michel isn't ready to start the season and Lamar Miller (knee) is unable to make a late push for early-down work once he joins practice, it's starting to look like Harris could have a chance to head the team's backfield in New England's opener

(FantasyPros) Patriots beat writer Jeff Howe noted Sunday that second-year RB Damien Harris continues to be a camp standout. Analysis: Howe adds that Harris is impressing in more ways than just as a runner, noting that he "looks comfortable in his route tree" and has been consistently picking up blitzers. The positive reports keep trickling in about Harris, who looks likely to lead New England's backfield in touches at this point. Lamar Miller and Sony Michel are low-ceiling fantasy bets right now.

^ If thats all true then what round should we target him?
Dude, you've got me. That backfield is a mess. In redraft, I'd stay away. There are guys going pretty low that I can think of that I'd rather have. 

eta* And it was Newton's job "to lose," not Harris. Got my NEP crossed, but the blurbs are direct cut-and-pastes from Boston beat writers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took Damien Harris in the second round of a 12-team keep-6 league. Here are the names of the RBs that were still available at my pick:

Adrian Peterson
Alexander Mattison
Kerryon Johnson
Jordan Howard
Sony Michel
Latavius Murray  (I own Kamara)
James White
Boston Scott
Damien Harris
Zack Moss
Nyheim Hines
Tarik Cohen
Chase Edmonds
Benny Snell  (I own Conner)
Duke Johnson
Tony Pollard
Carlos Hyde

The breaks seem to be going Harris' way at the moment. Not a ton to go on because of no preseason ... but Harris seems to be someone for whom jumping into the Top 20 among FF running backs (and maybe some Top 10 stretches at times) isn't too much of a stretch. Probably TD dependent, though ... hard to imagine Belichick now deciding to force-feed Harris and try to feature a 1,500-YFS near-bellcow.

His adp as of today is round 10/11.  This seems really really off to me.  Before I looked it up I would have guessed 6/7 since Michel is coming off (another) injury.
The praise is generally recent and he could be a guy who's still being slept on considering NE picked up Miller earlier in the offseason. I'd go for white ahead of him just in that offense because you know for sure white will get his, but I've been stumping for Harris hard all offseason.

Users who are viewing this thread