Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Sony Michel, Patriots

58 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Why, there is no chance Chubb is the second RB off the board.

Id be floored if Jones and Penny are drafted before Chubb. 

Also, as an aside, I 100% think Chubb could be the no2 back off the board, even tho he isnt my #2 rated RB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

Also, as an aside, I 100% think Chubb could be the no2 back off the board, even tho he isnt my #2 rated RB

absolutely. Jones at his size will likely scare some teams away. Guice could fall with some of the stories coming out (don't think he does, however). Chubb/Michel is basically a toss-up in my opinion - when I watch the tape, Chubb stands out to me more.

For what its worth, Waldman is a big fan of Nick Chubb.

4 minutes ago, pbandy1 said:

absolutely. Jones at his size will likely scare some teams away. Guice could fall with some of the stories coming out (don't think he does, however). Chubb/Michel is basically a toss-up in my opinion - when I watch the tape, Chubb stands out to me more.

For what its worth, Waldman is a big fan of Nick Chubb.

Stories coming out? When? If it’s in the last 2 weeks I call smokescreen. 

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Georgia RB Sony Michel to former NFL RB Knowshon Moreno.

Moreno was also a former Bulldog, which makes the comparison a little easier to see. Zierlein notes that Michel has "good burst in his cuts," and that he understands the finer points of setting up blocks with lead blockers and pullers. Zierlein does have some concerns about Michel's agility, and that his open field balance is inconsistent. He's battling with several others to be the second running back off the board in 2018, and Zierlein gives him a second-round grade.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 21 - 7:27 PM

18 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

At best he comes off 5th in my opinion. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

It wouldn’t shock me at all but I guess it would depend on what type of runner the team needs. NFL wise, these three guys are clumped together.

Tex

16 hours ago, Faust said:

aside from the Georgia reference, it seems like an odd comp imo. Moreno played with more physicality and lacked the top gear and burst on the field that seemingly separates Michel from his peers. i know their 40 times are similar, but it doesn't show up in the tape imo

14 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

aside from the Georgia reference, it seems like an odd comp imo. Moreno played with more physicality and lacked the top gear and burst on the field that seemingly separates Michel from his peers. i know their 40 times are similar, but it doesn't show up in the tape imo

agree

I’ll be amazed if Barkley, Guice, and Michel aren’t the first three RBs off the board.

NFL Mock Draft Roundup 2018: One player is generating some late buzz

Excerpt:

Mike Mayock, another Philly guy, recently moved Michel up to his No. 2 overall running back in this year’s class, only behind Saquon Barkley. Mayock’s rankings aren’t just about what he thinks as much as what he hears, so keep that in mind. Here’s what Mayock had to say about Michel: “I think Sony Michel is a first round talent. I think there’s some concerns out there about his knee and whether or not that would push him in the second round. But I compare him a little bit to Alvin Kamara. I don’t think he catches the ball as well but a similar run game.”

Mike Lombardi says Michel could slip for medical reasons but doesn't say what they are.  Per Rotoworld

Previous post Mayock mentioned his knee

Edited by JohnnyU

3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Mike Lombardi says Michel could slip for medical reasons but doesn't say what they are.  Per Rotoworld

Sounds like rumors being spread by a team that wants him to fall to them in the second round.   When we hear about a mysterious injury this close to the draft that's usually what it is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

don't believe a word of it.....Lombardi is a stooge anyway

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Sounds like rumors being spread by a team that wants him to fall to them in the second round.   When we hear about a mysterious injury this close to the draft that's usually what it is.

Some times it works though.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee is "bone on bone."

The concerns surrounding Ajayi's knee in the pre-draft process have proven to be legitimate. An early-round talent, Ajayi's medicals could threaten to push him out of the draft altogether. He will be one of the names to watch on Day 3.

Source: Idaho Statesman

Sat, May 2, 2015 12:04:00 PM

Mayock was one of the folks saying Ajayi's knee was bone on bone and he fell to the 5th round of the draft when a lot of folks had been predicting he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Ajayi's injury was from 2011 when he was 18 years old he had a ton of work in College 2013 and 2014, he was drafted in 2015 four years removed from the injury. The rumored source of the information was medical recheck at the combine, but Ajayi didn't have any medical rechecks at the combine.

So why all the concern after three straight seasons of the knee holding up just fine? Well leading up to the draft there were multiple reports from multiple media outlets that various reporters and media outlets had been told by "several executives" that they had either backed off of Ajayi or removed him all together from their draft boards because of how their medical staffs has evaluated the previously surgically repaired knee. There was also a report that surfaced stating that at some point down the road he would require "micro-fracture surgery". Many clubs were reported to be concerned about him holding up physically given all the carries he had in college. Then the famous report surfaced after the draft via ESPN's Adam Schefter that the knee was actually "bone on bone". This according to some of the teams doctors that had examined him prior to the draft.

It's unknown how many teams had their doctors examine him on an individual basis but many of the reports that surfaced claimed to be based on a medical recheck performed at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine. The problem with those reports is that Ajayi did not attend any medical rechecks at the combine. Ajayi's agent, Erik Burkhardt, confirmed via Twitter that he did not and was never even asked to attend the recheck. Some reports claimed that this information had been going around the NFL but what is known is that teams tend to not share medical information obtained from a player in any way even off the record. It seems unlikely that too many GM's would be out there spreading confidential medical information about a player even "off the record" but its not unlikely that some rumor spreading may have otherwise occurred during the season of "misinformation" in the NFL LINK

Mayock only does one mock draft, right? And he waits to release it until right before draft? Mayock is like the wise old owl while Lombardi isn't. They have very different jobs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saintfool said:

Mayock only does one mock draft, right? And he waits to release it until right before draft? Mayock is like the wise old owl while Lombardi isn't. They have very different jobs.

Wise, yet still 75% wrong come draft day. 

Edited by Soulfly3

2 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

Wise, yet still 75% wrong come draft day. 

Everyone is higher than 75% wrong come draft day. No one knows what Cleveland is doing this year and it’s making reporters write some really stupid ####. All of this because Hue Jackson is the biggest blabbermouth in the NFL. If his retention is coupled with Allen, god help Cleveland.

Sony Michel: May slide due to Medical concerns

by RotoWire Staff  4/24/18

Michel (undisclosed) may drop in the upcoming draft due to medical concerns, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. "There's a lot of teams telling me there's a medical concern here, so he could slip a little bit. His medical grade is a little iffy," said former NFL executive Michael Lombardi.

Though Michel was durable in college having played in 47 games and missing just two contests over the past three seasons, he's still reportedly drawing some concern with the draft approaching. Michel did suffer a knee injury in the SEC Championship in December but showed no ill-effects in the Rose Bowl when he ran for 181 yards and three touchdowns on 11 carries. Whether this is just draft week noise or something that could send Michel sliding down draft boards remains to be seen, but it is something to monitor in the coming days. Michel has been projected to go as high as late in the first round but will likely slide to Day 2 if the medical concerns stick.

According to Injury Predictor, Georgia RB Sony Michel tore his ACL in 2011.

This was well before Michel his the college level, but lately buzz has built that teams are concerned about Michel's knee. The star running back also has a broken shoulder blade and fractured left forearm on his history as well.

Source: Injury Predictor on Twitter 

Apr 24 - 10:28 AM

Sony Michel, Fitness Consigliere, will be a 2nd round pick. He'll probably be the 3rd RB taken, possibly 5th if Chubb and Jones fit team needs better. Don't see a scenario where he goes 6th.

9 hours ago, Faust said:

According to Injury Predictor, Georgia RB Sony Michel tore his ACL in 2011.

This was well before Michel his the college level, but lately buzz has built that teams are concerned about Michel's knee. The star running back also has a broken shoulder blade and fractured left forearm on his history as well.

Source: Injury Predictor on Twitter 

Apr 24 - 10:28 AM

Who the #### is Injury Predictor? Smells like Grade A BS.

Stinky, stinky, stinky.

10 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

Who the #### is Injury Predictor? Smells like Grade A BS.

Stinky, stinky, stinky.

It's a site that collects injury data about players over their entire career.  Not sure it's useful as a predictor but I've seen it before and it has been pretty comprehensive from what i could tell. 

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com

Try typing in a name like Kenneth and see what happens. 

On 4/23/2018 at 9:48 PM, saintfool said:

Mayock had a limited NFL career and has never worked in an NFL front office whereas Lombardi has been an actual GM and has worked under some of the best minds in history of the NFL.  I don't understand why or how Mayock started being a scouting guru, he's more of a compiler than scout to me, but a well plugged in compiler so I respect his information he provides as well a respecting Lombardi's. Both are well plugged in and I'd not ignore what they have to say.

But as this relates to Michel I finally got around to listening to that podcast. Lombardi did mention the injury situation briefly but that's burying the lead. He had Michel ranked as his #2 RB and I think  8th overall player on offense(this is not fantasy so he had a few OL  and QB's ahead of him). 

10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

It's a site that collects injury data about players over their entire career.  Not sure it's useful as a predictor but I've seen it before and it has been pretty comprehensive from what i could tell. 

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com

It says Kenneth Dixon will be an all-pro in 2018. I like this site.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bostonfred said:

after all these years, does it finally tell us the frequency?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Rotoworld: Sony Michel’s knee is bone on bone.

This caused Ajayi’s drop a few years back.

Whats funny is both injuries occurred in 2011. 

Michel doesn't have the workload that Ajayi had, but the media spun that as a negative for Ajayi in relation to the 2011 injury, I suspect some talk about Michel not having enough carries will be held against him in relation to the 2011 injury 7 years ago.

<_<

Patriots selected Georgia RB Sony Michel with the No. 31 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Michel (5’11/214) was a committee back throughout his Georgia career, compiling a 590/3,613/6.1/33 rushing line and 64 receptions across four years. Michel caught only nine balls as a senior, but he averaged a scintillating 7.9 yards per carry and showed elite burst and acceleration with a consistent propensity for finishing runs and maximizing yardage with a highly competitive playing style. Michel ran 4.54 at the Combine, a tick slower than Alvin Kamara’s 4.53. Although Michel theoretically lacks high-volume bellcow traits and must polish his ball security – he fumbled 12 times in college – Michel is more than talented enough to become an NFL lead back.

Apr 26 - 11:31 PM

Well I can scratch him off all my lists.

• Like 3

Michel fumbling rate in college is a concern if NE can’t correct that issue he’ll have a short career.

Tex

Surprised that Belichick would spend a first rounder on a fumble prone RB.

He could be elite if he focuses on ball security and stays healthy

6 hours ago, BigTex said:

Michel fumbling rate in college is a concern if NE can’t correct that issue he’ll have a short career.

Tex

I'm sure carrying the deflated footballs will take care of that.

• Like 5

This really surprised me. I think this has to on the surface drop his value in Dynasty. Though after a week or two let's see what happens once the shock wears off. Just surprised me that Bill went this route. Looks to me like he is replacing Dion Lewis in the rotation. Just to me feels similar to the running back by committee approach as last season.

2 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Yuck, rookie draft looking like pretty grim on the surface.

How so? Barkley and Penny went to places where they’re the undisputed starter. Ridley went to a perfect location for his skill set. Moore who’s often been compared to Steve Smith went to Smiths old team. And granted the Pats have historically used a back rotation, BB took Michel in the first round and there’s not a whole lot of talent in front of him. It could have been a lot worse and not much better. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

How so? Barkley and Penny went to places where they’re the undisputed starter. Ridley went to a perfect location for his skill set. Moore who’s often been compared to Steve Smith went to Smiths old team. And granted the Pats have historically used a back rotation, BB took Michel in the first round and there’s not a whole lot of talent in front of him. It could have been a lot worse and not much better. 

Good post and you're absolutely right.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

Lest we forget Mixon and Cook were second rounders and they went top 6 in last year’s rookie drafts.  TB and Indy both have picks coming soon and Guice or Chubb could “fall” into either of those situations. So things could look more like we expected an hour into the second round tonight.

12 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

You may be right. I like Michel and would have preferred him in pretty much any other spot just because I have been burned so many times by the NE backfield. I am not high on Moore going to Carolina. Cam is not the most accurate and his top WR has averaged 850 yards over the last five years. I would have liked to see either Chubb or Guice hit the first round but if their landing spots are good things will shape up better for the FF landscape. I like Ridley's landing spot but one negative on him is he will turn 24 this year already which is a bummer for dynasty. Hopefully day two and three bring some interesting pairings.  

2 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Yuck, rookie draft looking like pretty grim on the surface.

Not a good year to have a 1.03-1.08.

46 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Good post and you're absolutely right.

I agree. I'm a little surprised by the negativity. Burkhead, Hill and White are such tremendous roadblocks? Lewis saw a heavy workload in the second half of the season. I think Michel could excel in an offense like this.

2 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Way too early to say that, and for sure 1.03 just got a whole lot funner to own.  That could have been pick purgatory, but now you're getting a guy that a lot of people have been pumping up as a dynamic talent and an NFL team just validated plus committed a 1st round pick to the cause. 

6 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

How do we know this yet? Indy, Denver and TB are still excellent spots for a rookie to land and there's a lot of good backs out there still.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

How do we know this yet? Indy, Denver and TB are still excellent spots for a rookie to land and there's a lot of good backs out there still.

Completely agree. And I like Michel a lot in NE. And Penny in Seattle for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fruity pebbles said:

Exactly