What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty rankings? (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
It's the dynasty offseason, but also the FBG offseason.  The last set of dynasty rankings is from 12/12, and typically they don't update them for a few months at this point.

Trades are open in my leagues, and I'd like to see some rankings so I can compare against mine and look for trades that make both people happy.

Does anyone know of some up-to-date public dynasty rankings online?

It's the dynasty offseason, but also the FBG offseason.  The last set of dynasty rankings is from 12/12, and typically they don't update them for a few months at this point.

Trades are open in my leagues, and I'd like to see some rankings so I can compare against mine and look for trades that make both people happy.

Would love the FBG Dynasty Guys to take a last stab at their offseason rankings before going into hibernation. @Joe 8ryant and @David Dodds, can you guys rally the troops for one last pass at dynasty rankings, please?

How much would you expect to change in 3 weeks?  I might move Alex Collins up a few spots and flip Hopkins and AB but really, what are you looking for here?  Until milestones happen like NFLFA, draft, injuries, etc you can't really move too many players very far.

I'd much rather see resources go toward things we don't have yet - good IDP coverage being the primary one.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much would you expect to change in 3 weeks?  I might move Alex Collins up a few spots and flip Hopkins and AB but really, what are you looking for here?  Until milestones happen like NFLFA, draft, injuries, etc you can't really move too many players very far.

I'd much rather see resources go toward things we don't have yet - good IDP coverage being the primary one.
It's less about what's there right now, and more about what we typically see between now and the NFL draft, which is a long time.

What changes in 3 weeks?  A ton - the rankings on the site are still weighting this season's fantasy playoffs into the rankings.  Frank Gore was worth a lot more 3 weeks ago than he is today because he could have helped you win a title.  Dion Lewis went bonkers.  Kenyan Drake faded.  Bilal Powell showed (again) that when he gets fed, he's good.  Latavius Murray went from an afterthought to someone worth rostering.  JuJu moved up quite a bit.  Dede Westbrook stayed second fiddle instead of stepping into the top role.  Chris Godwin made a huge jump (related: DeSean Jackson took a huge fall).  Garroppolo moved way up.  We got a look at Mahomes, who wasn't bad.  Eli might have kept his job for next season.  Bortles probably lost his.  Hackenburg didn't beat out Bryce Petty, who is confirmed to be bad.  Kittle came alive.  Coaches were fired, so everyone in Arizona is hurt and everyone in Chicago is helped.    

I'd also rather see IDP coverage, but audience size makes that a lost cause IMO.

A few trades I would try to make based on these rankings (I added a plus if there was enough gap in rankings to warrant it.)

I would trade

A Brown for Evans plus (5yr age advantage plus moving down from 1.05 to 1.09 cant get you a decent premium)

Fournette for Kamara (just prefer Kamara)

J Howard for Mixon plus (Seems like a no brainer)

Thielen for Diggs (3 years younger and the more talented player)
I would agree with all of those.

Coaches were fired, so everyone in Arizona is hurt and everyone in Chicago is helped.    
Depends who becomes the coach in AZ or CHI.  You probably won't be saying that the CHI skill players will be helped if somehow the CHI front office loses their minds and hires Jeff Fisher.

It's less about what's there right now, and more about what we typically see between now and the NFL draft, which is a long time.

What changes in 3 weeks?  A ton - the rankings on the site are still weighting this season's fantasy playoffs into the rankings.  Frank Gore was worth a lot more 3 weeks ago than he is today because he could have helped you win a title.  Dion Lewis went bonkers.  Kenyan Drake faded.  Bilal Powell showed (again) that when he gets fed, he's good.  Latavius Murray went from an afterthought to someone worth rostering.  JuJu moved up quite a bit.  Dede Westbrook stayed second fiddle instead of stepping into the top role.  Chris Godwin made a huge jump (related: DeSean Jackson took a huge fall).  Garroppolo moved way up.  We got a look at Mahomes, who wasn't bad.  Eli might have kept his job for next season.  Bortles probably lost his.  Hackenburg didn't beat out Bryce Petty, who is confirmed to be bad.  Kittle came alive.  Coaches were fired, so everyone in Arizona is hurt and everyone in Chicago is helped.    

I'd also rather see IDP coverage, but audience size makes that a lost cause IMO.
That's why I mentioned the milestones.  I don't agree that any of those things, except Garoppolo, see significant changes from three week ago.  We already knew Lewis goes bonkers 4 times a year in NE - but until he changes teams we also know that's his ceiling.  Drake may have faded in your eyes but what about Gase's?  He might be completely convinced and if they don't sign/draft someone he's going to hold steady.  We already knew JuJu was an electric talent but as long as AB is there and healthy he's a spot start.  It kind of doesn't matter what Powell looked like for a couple of games if the Jets draft Barkley.

You can't say Fitzgerald is cooked yet.  What if they hire Josh Mcdaniels and sign Cousins?  What if Chicago hires Jack Del Rio or Jeff Fisher?

To me, it's more about how old some of the rankings are (some are PRE-season 2017). If I set it to last 200 days, there are 7 people who did rankings. 1 is from August, 1 is from Sept, 1 from Oct. If those 3 could update their rankings, we'd at least have reasonably current thoughts from that whole group of FBGs who are meant to be servicing the Dynasty Community at FBG.

To me, it's more about how old some of the rankings are (some are PRE-season 2017). If I set it to last 200 days, there are 7 people who did rankings. 1 is from August, 1 is from Sept, 1 from Oct. If those 3 could update their rankings, we'd at least have reasonably current thoughts from that whole group of FBGs who are meant to be servicing the Dynasty Community at FBG.
This is actually informative. We think that dynasty rankings are generally more stable than redraft rankings, but there are some big swings on the dynasty side.
Wentz: 8/28-16th, 10/20-12th, 12/5-2nd
Kamara: 38th, 16th, 5th
Watkins: 5th, 16th, 36th

Perhaps there's an over-reaction lesson here? If Watkins was truly the 5th best dynasty WR coming into the year, can he have fallen to WR 36 just based on one bad year?

It's nice to see Dez FINALLY bumped down on a list. Still think he's too high at #53 overall (WR26). Very easily could see if bouncing team-to-team very shortly.

Josh Doctson is just bizarre. Really same can be said for Devante Parker above him. To even think Juju is only 1-2 spots above them is hysterical. Juju is almost a handful years younger and already shown more than both of them...combined. Offering Doctson or Parker for Juju is just embarrassing. 

Agree on Watkins. Targeted him at the deadline this year given he cost next to nothing. If he winds up in SF this offseason, JMO He'll be a WR1 if healthy. He's going to get paid this offseason.

I like passing time looking at dynasty rankings just as much as the next guy but dynasty lists are usually pretty bad.

So I guess Reggie Wayne isn't smart to hold onto anymore?

Want an impossible reliable list to find... trying finding IDP Dynasty information... It's basically the corner of the internet that doesn't exist.

So I guess Reggie Wayne isn't smart to hold onto anymore?

Want an impossible reliable list to find... trying finding IDP Dynasty information... It's basically the corner of the internet that doesn't exist.
Yeah same goes for start-up and rookie super-flex dynasty rankings.  Maybe that's not all bad and a lot of people will make bad picks.

And still, none of the FBGs I mentioned by name in earlier posts have replied to this thread.

2 years ago, dynasty content went into the ####ter.

Last year, I feel like FBG really turned it up in terms of both content and responsiveness.

I hope we're not regressing.

Let me try this one more time to see if we can get some word on the timing of end of season, updated dynasty rankings for the web site we all paid money to subscribe to...

@Joe 8ryant@David Dodds@Jeff Haseley@Jeff Tefertiller@Andy Hicks@Sigmund Bloom

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of updated dynasty rankings is highly disappointing.  My dynasty leagues are all still active with trades occurring weekly.  I continue to check here but have had to seek out and rely on other sources, which is unfortunate seeing as I pay for this service.  I hope they are updated soon.

Most dynasty owners are too advanced to cater time. They can produce their own lists, unlike the avg redraft

These forums are the only thing that keep me using this site.  Dynasty content has gotten worse every year and even a lot of the rankings are absolutely bizarre and seem to be only submitted so that they can say they are done.  

I just do my own. Do you really need a site to build a dynasty team? If so you probably don't do well.

I just do my own. Do you really need a site to build a dynasty team? If so you probably don't do well.
As @Tick said above, dynasty rankings are great for seeing who is over/under valued by others. It’s useful to point to some rankings when negotiating a trade.

I don't want their lists to guide me in my own opinions.  I want them to see where I can find overvalued/undervalued players.
There is no such thing as consensus dynasty rankings though, so although you could see on a list that player X is undervalued, that likely isn't the reality from the owner of player X.  The biggest help I find is just talking trades through with other owners or among the forums here.  The Dynasty Value thread has been fantastic in figuring a general value out, and when I talk about a certain player or situation I'm in, it helps my mind create a more sound opinion on where I land on it.  Rankings are basically nothing but personal preference and if you can figure out your own relatively easily there isn't a need.  

It's nice to see Dez FINALLY bumped down on a list. Still think he's too high at #53 overall (WR26). Very easily could see if bouncing team-to-team very shortly.

Josh Doctson is just bizarre. Really same can be said for Devante Parker above him. To even think Juju is only 1-2 spots above them is hysterical. Juju is almost a handful years younger and already shown more than both of them...combined. Offering Doctson or Parker for Juju is just embarrassing. 

Agree on Watkins. Targeted him at the deadline this year given he cost next to nothing. If he winds up in SF this offseason, JMO He'll be a WR1 if healthy. He's going to get paid this offseason.
I don’t think it’s embarrassing JuJu was the #1 WR in all of College football in 2016. He completely dominated and played most of last year injured. His performance in the NFL is not surprising to a few of us who have been telling all who would listen that he was one of the best in last year’s draft class. Dude is a ball hawk!

Tex

I do quite well in a dynasty format. I don't use any rankings but I guess your take leads you to a super level of domination.
That's the second time you've resorted to making negative remarks about people when you don't understand something.  Very 2017 of you.

People want rankings because it's a way to identify where other owners might be higher/lower (especially higher) on a player that they are.  I may not like Hunt all that much and when I see everyone putting him in top 5 rankings I know I should be trying to sell him.  I don't find it works as much when trying to buy guys, because they will just default to "everyone else thinks he's fine, I'll get better value from someone else".

I don't personally make many significant changes outside of the milestones - someone gets a ton more productive quickly (Tyreek Hill), they change teams, get a new QB, get a new coach, a guy standing in their way retires/gets hurt/changes teams, etc.

I don’t think it’s embarrassing JuJu was the #1 WR in all of College football in 2016. He completely dominated and played most of last year injured. His performance in the NFL is not surprising to a few of us who have been telling all who would listen that he was one of the best in last year’s draft class. Dude is a ball hawk!

Tex
I took from his comment that he was a JuJu fan. I think he agrees with you (and me).

This thread got me thinking about taking another crack at dynasty rankings.

There are a few things that I need to prepare and look over before I could do it though, and I likely won't be doing those things until after the Super Bowl.

I mostly just need to put this years data into a 3 year average, then look at a few other things before developing the list. I am just not in offseason mode quite yet.

This thread got me thinking about taking another crack at dynasty rankings.

There are a few things that I need to prepare and look over before I could do it though, and I likely won't be doing those things until after the Super Bowl.

I mostly just need to put this years data into a 3 year average, then look at a few other things before developing the list. I am just not in offseason mode quite yet.
I haven't done this for a while either - I should write things down.

What's your method?  I tend to break a position up into 3 age groups, rank within each group, then have a bunch of 3-player showdowns to make my rankings.

I haven't done this for a while either - I should write things down.

What's your method?  I tend to break a position up into 3 age groups, rank within each group, then have a bunch of 3-player showdowns to make my rankings.
What are the age groups?

I start with the last 3 seasons of the players stats and average this together by points per game, VBD and rank the players that way. Then I consider the players age and make a 3 year projection for the player based off the average.

I am usually pretty surprised with some of these results and then I try to tier the players into categories based on if I think they can have a top 12 season, (Tier 1) a top 24 season, (Tier 2) or top 36 season (Tier 3). The players in the same tier can generally be listed in the order of who is the youngest. The tiers are usually pretty deep, more players than could make the tier. For example 20 or more tier one players when only 12 of them could actually finish there, and so on for the tier two guys there are 40-60 of those and the tier 3 players are basically everyone else. Players that I don't think have that kind of upside. The 3 year average informs the projections which answers the player tier.

Then I do some gun to the head who would I draft type questions of each player and move some things around based off of that. Really each thing is an independent type of ranking I might refer to when making decisions.

That's the second time you've resorted to making negative remarks about people when you don't understand something.  Very 2017 of you.

People want rankings because it's a way to identify where other owners might be higher/lower (especially higher) on a player that they are.  I may not like Hunt all that much and when I see everyone putting him in top 5 rankings I know I should be trying to sell him.  I don't find it works as much when trying to buy guys, because they will just default to "everyone else thinks he's fine, I'll get better value from someone else".

I don't personally make many significant changes outside of the milestones - someone gets a ton more productive quickly (Tyreek Hill), they change teams, get a new QB, get a new coach, a guy standing in their way retires/gets hurt/changes teams, etc.
What's negative about what I said? I pimped Keenan Allen as better then Dez and top 7 before the season. Everyone blasted me. Anyone puts out rankings and everyone blasts what they don't like (usually their players). 

So I find rankings kind of a waste. They're usually gut feelings and players people own that get higher rank. Other than that they're all fairly similar. 

Splits at 26 and 29
I just consider that stuff in the 3 year projection. If the player is hitting an age landmark such as 30, or if you want to get out a year early on that as exit strategy. At 29 makes more sense at RB to me than WR.

Anyhow a downgrade in value for the seasons where the player is at or past this landmark. I consider the next 5 seasons for WR, QB and TE while only 3 seasons for RB. Im on the fence about giving TE 5 seasons as they are so often injured, but the receiving yardage seems more sustainable than the rushing yardage into ages past 30 more frequently than for RBs.

Users who are viewing this thread