What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frozen Pipes All Around : Avoidance & Fixes inside (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Stupid southern builders don't know how to properly insulate plumbing. It's been atypically cold here in Memphis and my kitchen sink is now frozen off. Gotta get heaters on it this evening.... wheeee! 

How hard is it to properly insulate plumbing... damn hillbillies. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was dumb enough to go on vacation last week and just turn everything off. Came back yesterday and all my water was frozen. I have at least one leak. Hoping homeowners will cover fixing it. 

Only water I was able to get going was to my downstairs bathroom which is in the middle of the house and not on an outside wall. 

Puerto Rican crew services my furnace/HW heater up here, went through similar last Thursday  :shrug:  

not really Hillbillies, that lot ??

Non "Northern Origin" Southerners have to be dying en masse in this "Freezepocalypse".  I imagine some long term transplants have had their blood thinned to the point that they're cursing it. 

In the northern states it doesn't happen all that often since we actually prepare for that.  It happens much more in southern states when it gets unusually cold because those home are not prepared for that.  Maybe more people should move to northern states?
was a joke :kicksrock:

Non "Northern Origin" Southerners have to be dying en masse in this "Freezepocalypse".  I imagine some long term transplants have had their blood thinned to the point that they're cursing it. 
It's definitely freaking some folks out here. Single digit temps are atypical here. 

Locals were absolutely freaking out about what they could POSSIBLY wear to the Liberty Bowl on Saturday. It was going to be 40 degrees with a 10-15mph wind. :lol:  

It is funny when you watch these bowl games in southern states and they get colder weather.  If a team from the north is there you will see their fans in short sleeves and sometimes shorts but the fans from the southern teams are wearing coats and stocking caps.

Pro tips...

If you are going out of town shut off main valve and turn taps on till they are dry. 

If you are staying in town but it’s gonna be really cold turn faucets on at a tiny trickle. Running water won’t freeze. 

It is funny when you watch these bowl games in southern states and they get colder weather.  If a team from the north is there you will see their fans in short sleeves and sometimes shorts but the fans from the southern teams are wearing coats and stocking caps.
Yeah I was trollling them a bit on the Memphis boards. They were talking about giant blankets, putting hand warmers in their shoes to save their toes from freezing off, etc. :lol:  I informed them that the Iowa State fans will prob be in hoodies. 

Pro tips...

If you are going out of town shut off main valve and turn taps on till they are dry. 

If you are staying in town but it’s gonna be really cold turn faucets on at a tiny trickle. Running water won’t freeze. 
Yeah I had the bathrooms trickling and didn't have issues. The kitchen wasn't running and froze. Live and learn. WIll leave cabinets open and use a space heater as needed going forward. 

Just hope nothing bursts when I thaw it. 

Yeah I was trollling them a bit on the Memphis boards. They were talking about giant blankets, putting hand warmers in their shoes to save their toes from freezing off, etc. :lol:  I informed them that the Iowa State fans will prob be in hoodies. 
As an Iowa fan I see plenty of crap giving between us and Iowa State fans.  Usually us Iowa fans give ISU fans crap for not going to a bowl game or getting into a crappy game.  This year ISU fans were giving Iowa fans crap about getting a bowl game in New York while they got to go to Memphis where is warm.  I believe there was only a 10 degree difference which really made me smile.

As an Iowa fan I see plenty of crap giving between us and Iowa State fans.  Usually us Iowa fans give ISU fans crap for not going to a bowl game or getting into a crappy game.  This year ISU fans were giving Iowa fans crap about getting a bowl game in New York while they got to go to Memphis where is warm.  I believe there was only a 10 degree difference which really made me smile.
I'll say this... By all reports the Iowa State fans were fantastic. Travelled VERY well and were very gracious guests all over town. Literally didn't hear a single complaint or report of a bad incident. :thumbup:  

New valet at my job is a jerk that we all dislike. We all enjoy watching him freeze his nuts off standing outside the front door every night.

One server suggested bringing him out a pot of hot tea. 

Another server suggested we pee in the pot before bringing it. Everyone liked that idea.

I'll say this... By all reports the Iowa State fans were fantastic. Travelled VERY well and were very gracious guests all over town. Literally didn't hear a single complaint or report of a bad incident. :thumbup:  
I believe.  Fans from Iowa in general, whether it be Iowa, ISU or UNI, are usually great.  They always travel very well because of the time of year.  They also like to have a good time, go out to eat and drink A LOT.  I hear the ISU fans drank a couple places out of beer.

When Iowa played in the B1G Championship two years ago many places ran out of beer.  I know the bar I was at ran out of keg beer for an hour or so on game day.

Serious question. I had to wrap one of my outside pipes with a towel due to freezing. It got slightly wet last night. How screwed am I.

Yep, frozen pipes down here in MS this morning.  Couldn't shower...nothing was busted, but no water was running either.

Just went back home, everything was back to normal. 

The drip trick didn't work at my house. 

I learned in NC coming from NY a couple of tricks.  Get into crawl space and insulate the pipes with that black foam pre cut stuff.  Costs nothing, but saves everything.  Leave a faucet in your bathroom dripping too if worried. 

I learned in NC coming from NY a couple of tricks.  Get into crawl space and insulate the pipes with that black foam pre cut stuff.  Costs nothing, but saves everything.  Leave a faucet in your bathroom dripping too if worried. 
Yep. Though I'm slab construction, so no crawl space for me :sadbanana:  

so let the faucets trickle overnight to avoid freezing?
Yep.. not a drip but a slow trickle will help. 

Yep. Though I'm slab construction, so no crawl space for me :sadbanana:  

Yep.. not a drip but a slow trickle will help. 
My first house was a slab house and my pipes froze.  Was very surprised since the house had been there for years and been through many cold winters.  I thawed them out and then put foam on the pipes.  Never happened again in the 3 years I lived there.

mr roboto said:
Pro tips...

Thanks.  Although I grew up where it froze from time to time, we never really had to deal with the ####ed up #### I'm dealing with here in the frozen tundra.  I really have no idea what I'm doing.  I wish people didn't live here.

thanks... I think tonight will be a low of 4 degrees. I have shut off the outside water but havnt disconnect the hose. guess ill do that when I get home. one thing I cant stand is the damn door leading to my garage. the builders somehow put it on incorrectly because when its shut I can still see light through the cracks so im getting a constant draft

thanks... I think tonight will be a low of 4 degrees. I have shut off the outside water but havnt disconnect the hose. guess ill do that when I get home. one thing I cant stand is the damn door leading to my garage. the builders somehow put it on incorrectly because when its shut I can still see light through the cracks so im getting a constant draft
Can get some insulation to seal that off better. Weather stripping. 

Wrong thread I know.. but do I have to do anything with my car?  It was sold in the south and never was in the north.  Do I need special fluids or a special battery or maybe a space suit or something for my car?  This whole freezing weather thing is for the birds.

Wrong thread I know.. but do I have to do anything with my car?  It was sold in the south and never was in the north.  Do I need special fluids or a special battery or maybe a space suit or something for my car?  This whole freezing weather thing is for the birds.
going to be 0 and below here the next couple days. I have a 2007 civic and go out and start it and let it run 15 mins halfway through my work day. Do the same thing before I go to bed at night. Stays outside, not in a garage.

No, you don't HAVE to do anything but you can.  Some people put additives in their fuel.  I've never done anything to my vehicles before winter and I've parked outside everyday until just this year.  It's nice to let your vehicle warm up before you drive it though.  You'll notice the steering and handling can be very stiff if you start driving it right away.

Lots of people forgot to shut off sprinkler. Other than that not hearing of many issues here. Other than my balls have shrunk to half their normal size. 

I got a claim started with State Farm. Guy said he’s been getting a lot of calls from all over the country over busted pipes and doesn’t see why it wouldn’t be covered. But still supposed to get official word in an email. 

Just need to figure out someone good to call to fix it and make sure I just have one place that needs fixed. 

He said to take pictures too. 

I have never used my homeowners in 10 years so I’m flying blind a bit. 

what is the hose thing about? I mean most wall faucets have back flow prevention now.  If your house is 100 years old maybe not.

Even old homes built to withstand Northern winters have the same issues.  Although in the south, it is more surprising.  

Kind of like hail in Texas.  Don't typically expect that, but happened two years in a row in the same area.

Users who are viewing this thread