What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frozen Pipes All Around : Avoidance & Fixes inside (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries said:
Do southerners know to unhook their hoses from the outside faucets in this weather?
I don't do that in the north.  Overkill imo and I'm lazy.

what kind of monster doesn't drain the water out of the hose when you turn the spigot off?? 
Mine is still hooked up and live.  I still use it to wash the salt off the Pilot.   It's been pretty cold as usual here in R.I. and I still don't expect any issues.  

I got a claim started with State Farm. Guy said he’s been getting a lot of calls from all over the country over busted pipes and doesn’t see why it wouldn’t be covered. But still supposed to get official word in an email. 

Just need to figure out someone good to call to fix it and make sure I just have one place that needs fixed. 

He said to take pictures too. 

I have never used my homeowners in 10 years so I’m flying blind a bit. 
Do you have a lot of water damage? Might not be worth the claim. 

Man I came home from work about an hour ago to a night mare. Open the door and hear water raining down from my ceiling in multiple places. I have a valve to shut the water off to the upstairs and it was frozen, couldn’t shut it before work. At least I could now. Been working hard just trying to dry everything as much as possible and got buckets catching what dripping is  left over. Luckily I found someone that can come look at it tonight and fix it tomorrow. I checked my deductible and I guess I’m going to be out a little over a grand. 
You need to get somebody out there to do way more than fix the leak. Depending on how much water you have you likely need a sensation company to do some demo (remove wet insulation, possible cut some walls up 1', year pad, if you have hardwood and that got wet say goodbye to the hardwood) and use sufficient drying equipment (blowers and DHs). 

This is my line of work. Let me know of you guys have questions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a claim started with State Farm. Guy said he’s been getting a lot of calls from all over the country over busted pipes and doesn’t see why it wouldn’t be covered. But still supposed to get official word in an email. 

Just need to figure out someone good to call to fix it and make sure I just have one place that needs fixed. 

He said to take pictures too. 

I have never used my homeowners in 10 years so I’m flying blind a bit. 
Usually if you can prove heat was maintained in the home/business or you prove you shut off and drained the water if you were away, it should be covered including the plumbing repairs, mitigation and building repairs. 

i dont know how cold it is going to be by you but i had my rig outside overnight here on new years and it was 8 below zero and she still started up although with a little grumbling if you have an old battery and your car is going to be in the wind which will only increase the cold from wind chill maybe start the old war wagon up every couple of hours otherwise its not a bad idea to let it run and warm up a bit before you hit the road thats all i got take that to the bank bromigo
PSA Windchill doesn’t affect cars or other inanimate objects, Bromingo. 

Usually if you can prove heat was maintained in the home/business or you prove you shut off and drained the water if you were away, it should be covered including the plumbing repairs, mitigation and repairs. 

On a related note.... BE VERY CAREFUL on what you tel your insurance company. Think and research before you call. There are all kinds of odd protocols for what insurance will and won't cover depending on your policy. A few examples that are common....

Insurance WONT cover maintenance issues like a leak due to old shingles or rotten trim. 

They WONT cover black rubber supply lines for your clothes washer that burst. ( they are supposed to be replaced every four years and really should be replaced with steel braided supply lines )

mold. - let's say that there is a leak that went unnoticed for quite some time and you have mold. They will cover the tear out and demo that's necessary to do the dry out but won't cover the mold remediation costs which can be really really pricey.

Groundwater.  If you have a sump pump they will cover the damage if it's because you have a sump pump and the pump failed.

There are many more. There's also a little thing called "betterments and improvements" for folks who have condos and such.... Insurance company will cover the costs to replace your drywall walls, flooring, and cabinetry with "like kind and quality" BUT- only a dollar amount that will cover the cost to put whatever building materials were there when the place was originally built. So let's say you bought a condo and renovated the entire place. 6 months later your neighbor floods your place. Master policy for the building will cover and give you a dollar amount that will allow you to put the building back - the way it was when it was originally built. Your insurance will have to pick up the dollar amount between the original stuff and all of your upgraded stuff. So in other words, even if it wasn't your fault, you would have to make your own claim..

Well ####.  Pipes are frozen in our laundry room, can't get water from utility sink or washer.  The pipes run from the basement up into a wall that is shared with an unheated garage.  I've had a space heater in there for hours under utility sink with no luck.  Any suggestions? Temps here will get up to 25 tomorrow, but won't get above freezing until Sunday.

Thanks Trump!

Well ####.  Pipes are frozen in our laundry room, can't get water from utility sink or washer.  The pipes run from the basement up into a wall that is shared with an unheated garage.  I've had a space heater in there for hours under utility sink with no luck.  Any suggestions? Temps here will get up to 25 tomorrow, but won't get above freezing until Sunday.

Thanks Trump!
Sounds like you need to get heat in the garage, focused on that common wall. The pipes might be frozen in there--hope they're not burst. Leave the taps open a little to allow for flow when it comes if they will, and just keep an eye on it.

The temps here won't get above freezing for another few days I think, and I keep a couple taps trickling on different ends of the house to keep it going. Got a heater In the wellhouse too.

Thanks Trump!
More space heaters!  Get a couple in the garage and blast the heat in the house.  Leave faucet open in the utility room.

Sentry Foods use to make a pretty decent Brat.  Their Italian and German sausages were also pretty good.  Usinger's makes a good Brat.  My favorite had to be a local grocer out on North Avenue, maybe 139th or so.  Grasch's.  I wonder if they are still out there.
nope grasches closed it was a sendicks for a little bit but now it is just an empty building i tried on my way to the pewaukee maynards a couple of weeks ago take that to the bank brochacho

Damn, I wasn’t quite expecting this to be the epidemic when I started the thread... but I guess it makes sense. It’s cold as balls everywhere. 

Thanks Trump!
Build some sort of enclosure on the garage side (old wood, plywood, tarps, blankets...) where the pipes are and put a space heater in there.  You need to contain the heat to the area it is needed in, no sense trying to heat up the entire garage.

Build some sort of enclosure on the garage side (old wood, plywood, tarps, blankets...) where the pipes are and put a space heater in there.  You need to contain the heat to the area it is needed in, no sense trying to heat up the entire garage.
Put your running car in the garage close the garage door turn the heater on full and roll down the windows. ?

I had a totally busted elbow. Guys already got a big hole in the ceiling and left to go get what they need to fix it. Luckily it was right where they first tore it out and looked. I’m just going to pay this without making a claim and not do the hardwood. I had a fan on it all night and hopefully averted some damage. Maybe redo it where it’s got a little damage if I ever sell the house. Going to have to do some painting in a few places on the ceiling later too after everything is done and dry and stuff. I guess it could have been worse. 

I had a totally busted elbow. Guys already got a big hole in the ceiling and left to go get what they need to fix it. Luckily it was right where they first tore it out and looked. I’m just going to pay this without making a claim and not do the hardwood. I had a fan on it all night and hopefully averted some damage. Maybe redo it where it’s got a little damage if I ever sell the house. Going to have to do some painting in a few places on the ceiling later too after everything is done and dry and stuff. I guess it could have been worse. 
Be careful... not all damage is visible in cases like this. Also, without a proper mitigation, you could be looking at the start of serious mold issues. 

It could help to relieve pressure build up as it thaws out actually.
No thawing relieves pressure as the H2O shrinks when it goes from solid to liquid form. The only way that would happen would be if you tried to superheat a small section to thaw the entire line. Water expands once it gets super hot I forgotten what the exact temperature is where water will fill the lowest volume but when you're thawing ice you're moving towards that point.

If a hot water line popped in my house I wouldn't have a clue how to shut it down. I suppose I should figure that out.  

No thawing relieves pressure as the H2O shrinks when it goes from solid to liquid form. The only way that would happen would be if you tried to superheat a small section to thaw the entire line. Water expands once it gets super hot I forgotten what the exact temperature is where water will fill the lowest volume but when you're thawing ice you're moving towards that point.
Things freeze, thaw, and refreeze.  Of course you want to leave it open.  Air pressure plays too.

Things freeze, thaw, and refreeze.  Of course you want to leave it open.  Air pressure plays too.
There is no air in a water pipe until it is introduced by turning off the water pressure and opening a faucet. A water line that freezes will have no air in it. Leaving a faucet open will only let you know when water in the pipe thaws. Which could be helpful but it's not going to help prevent pipe damage except in limited circumstances.    

Minor suggestion... if your pipes are in a cabinet or closet or something, and the room they're in is heated, you can open the cabinet or closet and get them a bit more heat.

Or vice versa - if they are in a heated room in an otherwise cold basement, close the door to the heated room keep the heat in.

Thanks Trump!

@shuke, you can Build one like this  - you don't have to buy the poles if you do t need/want to. Just use blue tape. 

Make sure the heater doesn't come into contact with the heat source. 

Hopefully this makes up for me totally dropping the ball on that radon thing i said look into for you. :bag:  

UOFI_316 said:
Ok. I've got shelves up against that wall. Going to put space heater on one and drape the shelves with sleeping bags. 

I just realized I didn't finish this reply from earlier. I did this and had a second heater heating wall from inside. 

A little more than a drip. I had a steady drip at near-trickle and it still froze. Going full-trickle from now on. :lol: Steady thin line of water coming out.  
I've done a steady drip before, only to find nothing coming out in the morning, but not frozen pipes.  I'll be doing a steady stream starting tonight.  

Don't forget to do both hot and cold, I've always just assumed I needed to do cold.  When I thawed today, my cold line actually thawed first.  

I've done a steady drip before, only to find nothing coming out in the morning, but not frozen pipes.  I'll be doing a steady stream starting tonight.  

Don't forget to do both hot and cold, I've always just assumed I needed to do cold.  When I thawed today, my cold line actually thawed first.  
Yep, both for sure. In my shower, it was only the hot line that froze, due to (I assume) low trickle level. Cold water was fine. And both hot and cold to the sink, 4 feet away were fine. Good trickles there. :thumbup:  

So my pool guy has no ####### idea how my push pull valve got screwed up.  Whatever the issue was was gone when he went by at 42 degrees.  I'm thinking some chunk of ice got loose and jacked the pressure up to the point that the push rod came clear.  

:loco:

Hot Diggity Dog said:
There is no air in a water pipe until it is introduced by turning off the water pressure and opening a faucet. A water line that freezes will have no air in it. Leaving a faucet open will only let you know when water in the pipe thaws. Which could be helpful but it's not going to help prevent pipe damage except in limited circumstances.    
Right, limited circumstances.  If the pipes are frozen they are screwed already.  

NREC34 said:
It's takes almost 3 days for wood framing to dry out. 

In my line of work EVERY homeowner underestimates how long building materials take to dry. 

Also, any floor with a plastic underpayment WILL NOT EVER dry without tearing it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread