What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frozen Pipes All Around : Avoidance & Fixes inside (1 Viewer)

Don’t you live somewhere where it gets cold on a semi-regular basis?
Cincinnati.  It hasn't gotten above freezing since Christmas Eve.  This is a pretty extended cold streak for us.  We've been in this house for 12 years and my pipes have only frozen one other time.

Cincinnati.  It hasn't gotten above freezing since Christmas Eve.  This is a pretty extended cold streak for us.  We've been in this house for 12 years and my pipes have only frozen one other time.
I’ve always wondered about the areas like Southern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, northern Kentucky etc. I mean they get cold sometimes. You’d think they wouldn’t let pipes be in shared walls with unconditioned garages. 

It's takes almost 3 days for wood framing to dry out. 

In my line of work EVERY homeowner underestimates how long building materials take to dry. 

Also, any floor with a plastic underpayment WILL NOT EVER dry without tearing it out. 
I remember when they did mine. It was a maroon color paper thing they put under there 

Hot Diggity Dog said:
Will do no good, water expands on freezing any break is already there and plugged by the ice if it isn't leaking. 
I’ve mistakingly left full beer bottles in my freezer that didn’t burst. How likely is it that frozen metal pipes will burst?

they have pills for that these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
####...thought I prepped the sprinkler system but apparently not.  How much is my water bill going to be?  Assume it ran for 12 hours 

It's takes almost 3 days for wood framing to dry out. 

In my line of work EVERY homeowner underestimates how long building materials take to dry. 

Also, any floor with a plastic underpayment WILL NOT EVER dry without tearing it out. 
Seriously, take your time with this. A sick house is hard to mitigate.

####...thought I prepped the sprinkler system but apparently not.  How much is my water bill going to be?  Assume it ran for 12 hours 
It's going to be considerably lower than your bill to replace any water pipes or water damage.

has anyone seen mothman?

Guess I needed more of a trickle. Think the line into the house is frozen. Coldest I believe it has gotten since I've lived here.

Whew, think it was just frozen where it goes into the house. Melted and everything back working. Keeping an eye out for leaks now.

Guess I needed more of a trickle. Think the line into the house is frozen. Coldest I believe it has gotten since I've lived here.
Got down to 8 last night here (wind chill -6). That's about as cold as I can remember.  My pipes froze inside the house in an area I can't get to.  This house (new to me) has survived going into the teens with no issues, so I didn't think this would be much worse.  It got much colder than expected.  Very lucky to get it unstuck without a leak.  Took quite a while to get the heat to the affected area and thaw the pipe.

Hair dyer, space heaters and the sun helping on the outside a bit finally got the temperature up enough to break it loose.  

Anyone plumbers/heating guys have a way to defrost frozen plastic pex lines that are not accessible?
If you can get a small tube into the pipe near the blockage this will definitely work.  In a house it's usually not straightforward to get the flow to the right spot, though.

Yeah, I need to re-insulate the pipe, what I have on it is a few years old. Thinking I'll get a heat cable for the exterior portion and then cover the pipe again.

I never thought about disconnecting the hose.  Tried this evening and I couldn’t get the thing off.  No water in basement so far so I’ll leave it alone until it warms up.

Same here. Live in Cincinnati and have only had a pipe freeze one time.

I did have something else occur last week that has me concerned. I went into the garage and the floor was wet. There's a faucet in the garage and I immediately thought that was the culprit. Nope. On further inspection the area directly under the hose was dry and the water was more in the center of the garage. Only explanation I have is that the water table was so high that it came up through cracks in the garage floor. Not sure how worried I should be but for the present time I'll take it over a frozen pipe.

Buzzbait said:
Same here. Live in Cincinnati and have only had a pipe freeze one time.

I did have something else occur last week that has me concerned. I went into the garage and the floor was wet. There's a faucet in the garage and I immediately thought that was the culprit. Nope. On further inspection the area directly under the hose was dry and the water was more in the center of the garage. Only explanation I have is that the water table was so high that it came up through cracks in the garage floor. Not sure how worried I should be but for the present time I'll take it over a frozen pipe.
You sure you didn't track a piece of ice in there?

Do you have a basement?

Users who are viewing this thread