What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Kirk, JAX (1 Viewer)

Before the draft they asked the defensive backs in his conference who was the hardest WR they faced, everyone said Christian Kirk.

Then the Cards draft Rosen.

The rookie QB/rookie WR dynamic comes into play where they typically make bonds because they typically take reps together.

Then he's got Larry Fitzgerald to show him the ropes and take heat off him if/when he gets on the field...

Seems good short term and could be an excellent long term situation if Rosen makes it.

Video of Christian Kirk discussing a connection to fellow rookie Josh Rosen dating back to high school and camps they were in together.

They already have established a bond which could lead to chemistry on the field.

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/992403474796212226

NFL Network‏Verified account @nflnetwork

FollowFollow @nflnetwork

"We've had a connection since high school." New @AZCardinals WR ChristianDavon2 is ready to get started with @Josh3Rosen again

Kirk and Fitzgerald have a prior connection dating back to when Kirk played high school football in Arizona.  Fitzgerald has followed Kirk’s college career.  Ideal landing spot IMO.  Also may keep Fitz playing past this year.

Would you take Kirk over Sutton, Gallup, and Miller?
I think Sutton has more potential upside but he’s a boom or bust type player.  To me Kirk is a “safer” pick... higher floor & lower ceiling.  I’d take Kirk over Gallup and Miller.

Thanks. I have Kirk at one myself; moore goes to an offense that doesn’t throw a ton, Ridley is old and a second fiddle, Anthony miller has Robinson, Burton, shaheen, Cohen, and Howard to compete with for targets. Not sure how Nagy and trubs can account for them all yet. 

Gallup will be shadowed by CB1s all year and dak can’t throw open WRs. Sutton has wr1 potential but do we get the case from last year or the one at Houston and st.louis?

Last edited by a moderator:
fitz has been money for my in dyno, but i am preparing for his retirement.

grabbed chad williams last year, who is currently listed as #2 wr at ourlads.

will grab kirk at 1.13 if he is still there and freeman isnt.

Brandon Nickel‏ @Dynasty_Scout

FollowFollow @Dynasty_Scout

AZ coach Steve Wilks to @AdamSchefter on Christian Kirk: “I’m not going to hold rookies back, I expect him to be one of the best 11 we have out there. He’ll line up everywhere, inside and out”

8:01 AM - 8 May 2018

2018 All-Rookie Team:

Wide receiver: Christian Kirk, Arizona Cardinals (Round 2, No. 47). The Cardinals' new WR2 should pile up big numbers opposite Larry Fitzgerald as the designated "chain mover" in the team's new scheme. Kirk shows the skeptics that he is more than a slot receiver by ringing up yards and scores as a perimeter playmaker.

--------------------------------------

THE MOST INTERESTING NUMBERS FROM THE NFL DRAFT

On surehanded receivers
Arizona Cardinals WR Christian Kirk and Jacksonville Jaguars WR D.J. Chark ranked 1-2 in on-target catch percentage among receivers last season. Each caught 84 percent of on-target throws to them.

2018 All-Rookie Team:

Wide receiver: Christian Kirk, Arizona Cardinals (Round 2, No. 47). The Cardinals' new WR2 should pile up big numbers opposite Larry Fitzgerald as the designated "chain mover" in the team's new scheme. Kirk shows the skeptics that he is more than a slot receiver by ringing up yards and scores as a perimeter playmaker.

--------------------------------------

On surehanded receivers
Arizona Cardinals WR Christian Kirk and Jacksonville Jaguars WR D.J. Chark ranked 1-2 in on-target catch percentage among receivers last season. Each caught 84 percent of on-target throws to them.
This is an interesting stat and if true that would be a good reason for Chark to be drafted as high as he was besides the combine metrics.

I have to wonder about the sources judgement of on target throws however.

According to this DJ Chark was targeted 70 times and caught 34 of those targets 48.6% of them. This does not include the bowl game against Notre Dame where Chark had 5 receptions (not sure how many targets).

I can understand a lot of deep throws that may not have been catchable and just some other off target throws as well, but the difference between 48% and 84% is so huge I find that hard to believe. 

On surehanded receivers
Apparently that comes from this Sports Info Solutions tweet. It looks like they were only sharing the On-Target Catch% for 5 receivers, and not comparing them to everyone else. Those 5:

Christian Kirk - 83.7%
DJ Chark - 83.5%
Courtland Sutton - 82.8%
Calvin Ridley - 81.3%
D.J. Moore - 81.1%

There is very little difference between them - the gap between first and last on this list is less than 3 receptions over the course of the season.

On their website they have this leaderboard (rotating through the sidebar):

Jalen McCleskey - 96.2%
Trey Quinn - 95.0%
Ryan Davis - 94.4%
John Ursua - 94.0%
Hayden Hurst - 93.6%
Cam Echols-Luper - 93.3%
Marchie Murdock - 93.2%
KaVontae Turpin - 93.2%
David Ungerer - 92.9%
Ray-Ray McCloud - 92.6%

Tidbit from the Cardinals rookie miini-camp.

Even with hiccups they dialed up a big play. 

Next are OTAs and it will be interesting to see if this gets replicated.  

Looking for evidence of on-field chemistry with rookie QB and rookie WR so this is a good to hear things that are buried in a QB story.

Josh Rosen on first practice with Arizona Cardinals: 'Pretty cool' 

The Cardinals opened a three-day minicamp for rookies and other young players,...

...Numerous mistakes were made, including by Rosen, the 10th overall pick in the draft. He missed some throws, especially early in the two-hour practice, but improved as the practice progressed. Near the end, he completed a pass of 65 yards or so to receiver Christian Kirk, the second-round pick and Rosen’s friend since the two met as high school stars on the football-camp circuit.

...  “He’s not going to throw it a million miles an hour at you,” Kirk said. “You have to know when to put a touch on it, and he’s good at that.”

Truly a pleasure to watch this guy the last 3 years.  His QB situation was a shame.

Lightning in a bottle with the ball in his hands.  Looking forward to his NFL career.

Kirk, Rosen finding chemistry at Cardinals' mini-camp    

Rosen is also establishing a rapport with Texas A&M rookie wideout Christian Kirk that could pay off in the long run for the franchise. The second round pick executed a stop and go route near the end of the proceedings on Friday and Rosen hit him for a 35 yard touchdown.

“Anytime you can come out on Day 1 and make plays like that, it always feels good,” Kirk said. “We’ve already kind of had that type of chemistry. I know he’s a real accurate passer, always puts the ball where it needs to be. Nothing new, really.”

...Kirk, Rosen and the remainder of the Cardinals' rookies are staying at a hotel near the practice fields to make sure that chemistry continues throughout the football season as well and he and Rosen are rooming together.

“We’re getting there,” Kirk said. 
Cardinals’ Christian Kirk landed with perfect team   
https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Bolt/NFL-Network-has-high-expectations-for-Arizona-Cardinals-Christian-Kirk-as-a-rookie-118083376   

...Prior to the season, Texas A&M's Christian Kirk was expected to be a first-round pick with some very early mock drafts having him go in the top 10. However, the fact that a lot of teams had him pegged as a slot receiver only likely dropped his value a bit. With a pair of freshmen quarterbacks throwing to him as a junior in 2017, his numbers suffered a bit as well.

...Kirk, a former five-star prospect from Scottsdale, has been told by the team that he will likely be playing outside. The 5-foot-10, 201-pounder did his best before the draft to show teams that he was capable of playing more than just in the slot.

One person that is a believer is Bucky Brooks of the NFL Network. The analyst released his preseason 2018 All-Rookie team and included Kirk as one of the two wide receivers.

"The Cardinals' new WR2 should pile up big numbers opposite Larry Fitzgerald as the designated "chain mover" in the team's new scheme. Kirk shows the skeptics that he is more than a slot receiver by ringing up yards and scores as a perimeter playmaker."

Misleading title but he was arrested Feb. 3rd and this just came out as "breaking":

https://twitter.com/azcsports/status/996151259743903744

Kirk and some friends were seen throwing rocks at cars outside the golf tournament on Feb. 3. He was charged with disorderly conduct and proper damage and the case is pending.

In post-draft press conferences, General Manager Steve Keim said the Cardinals paid special attention this year to character when drafting players.

If it's true, it's a ridiculously idiotic thing for him to do and he deserve punishment IMO.  Why are we just hearing about this now?  With all of the news that comes out that time of year, this is one of the primary types of things the media looks for.  Is an arrest public record?  I'm not a lawyer, but I thought it was. 

Didn't catch the Cards off-guard, they knew before the draft.

----------------------------------------------------

Cardinals rookie Christian Kirk was arrested, charged with criminal damage prior to NFL draft

A Cardinals spokesman said the team was aware of the incident prior to drafting Kirk.

“We spoke with Christian about it at length and also looked into it independently," the team spokesman said. "Our understanding is that the process will be resolved in the near future but while it remains an active legal matter, we won’t comment further.”

...general manager Steve Keim said the Cardinals paid special attention this year to character when drafting players. There were no reports of Kirk ever getting into trouble in high school or college.
Could be a big reason why he fell in the draft.

NFL Network has high expectations for Christian Kirk as a rookie

Prior to the season, Texas A&M's Christian Kirk was expected to be a first-round pick with some very early mock drafts having him go in the top 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, from throwing rocks to being high on cocaine?

How'd that that happen?  Real evidence or speculation?

Bleacher Report might want to lay off the TMZ click-bait headlines.

Police Officer Suggests Christian Kirk Was on Cocaine-Like Drug in Arrest Report

The police officer who arrested Arizona Cardinals rookie wide receiver Christian Kirk in February suggested that the former Texas A&M standout may have been high on cocaine.

According to TMZ Sports, the officer wrote the following in the police report: "I further noticed the grinding movement of his jaw and continued blank stare. These are common signs of an individual high on stimulants, such as cocaine."
OK, test him.

A hair test would show coke for up to three months if it is in his system they would know by now.

Cocaine Drug Test | How Long Does Cocaine Last in your System?

With hair testing, cocaine may show up in results for at least 90 days after someone has used the last dose.
I am sure the Combine has not changed testing for 'other' substances than just pot.

Apparently the Combine has been testing for cocaine at least back to 1995 since Warren Sapp fell due to coke rumors.

ARCHIVES | 1995 N.F.L.: Sapp Did Not Test Positive for Cocaine

They test for coke at the Combine, this arrest was in March after the Combine but if the Cards knew about the arrest they saw the police report and they would have definitely done a hair test which would have absolutely proven whether or not he had coke in his system.

The Cards used their 2nd round pick on him so call me nutty but I don't think they would touch him with a 12 foot pole if they had a positive coke test on the kid.

He's guilty of being stupid and an idiot and that explains, to me, why he fell in the draft.

Michael Irvin did coke... just saying.
Not judging, lol, I love Peru and Colombia...but I think for every Irving that could party and still produce, there are 100 others that could not.  Time will tell.  Like Kirk's skills, don't see a star, but I do think he can stick around and contribute if he has his head on straight. 

what do people like the most about this guy over someone like sutton? 
Probably the main factor is instant opportunity, while Sutton is likely to do very little in year one.  Churners and trade-happy folks want that immediate value kick, even in dynasty formats.

Sutton is also less polished, not as ready day one.  Some folks are more nervous about his ability to develop the missing skills, likely after being burned by guys like Parker or Corey Coleman.

Personally they are in the same tier on my board.

does Kirk run in the slot a lot? Wonder who is going to play outside more, Fitz or Kirk? 
FYI:

Cardinals brass has already stated that Kirk will begin his career as a perimeter receiver, allowing Larry Fitzgerald to continue to work the slot. This is a bonus for Kirk in the near term (and his dynasty owners), as he won’t have to sit behind the future Hall of Famer and can start scoring fantasy points right away in an offense looking to reassign 124 vacated targets from outbound free agents Jaron Brown and John Brown.

Tex

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
FYI:

Cardinals brass has already stated that Kirk will begin his career as a perimeter receiver, allowing Larry Fitzgerald to continue to work the slot. This is a bonus for Kirk in the near term (and his dynasty owners), as he won’t have to sit behind the future Hall of Famer and can start scoring fantasy points right away in an offense looking to reassign 124 vacated targets from outbound free agents Jaron Brown and John Brown.

Tex
The majority of which will go to returning star RB David Johnson as a a combination of increased # of rushing attempts and targets out of the backfield.

The Cards aren't going to throw the ball 598 times and rush only 410 times this season.

Users who are viewing this thread