What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Brown 2018 playoffs (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
Questionable at best?

This thread is dedicated to the health and playing possibility in the playoffs for AB. 

I did a search and didn't see much. Pardon me if there is already something going. Send a link please if so.

We are picking our fantasy playoff team tonight. I see Dodds has Brown @ #6 overall.

Tomlin said yesterday that AB would be listed as Questionable right now if the Steelers were playing WC weekend.   He isn't practicing but has been on the treadmill and I didn't see any noticeable limp which is a good sign.   I'm not a doctor but he still has 11 days so I am thinking he is going to be good to go for the AFC divisional game on January 14.   

Whether or not you take him depends on how deep you think the Steelers are going to go in the playoffs

The biggest question mark for me in my playoff pool is whether I think the Steelers will beat the Jaguars in the divisional. And if Brown plays at less than 100% will he be effective against that D? Will it matter? I am leaning towards the Steelers winning even without AB. I'm not crazy about this call but it's where I'm planting my flag. If Pitt wins just one game it will be worth rostering him and Bell. Certainly if they win 2 and get to the SB. 

But...calf injuries scare me a bit. Would it be crazy to go contrarian with Juju if I can only pick 1 WR from Pitt? Probably. In the end I'm in love with how good Brown is and want him on my playoff roster. I have to lock in the picks before wildcard kickoff, so there's not likely going to be any worthwhile news before then. Just have to roll the dice. 

I'm no doctor but I am currently recovering from a non-surgical calf tear I sustained playing indoor soccer.  Some quick background - I'm 40, play indoor soccer 3 times a week and run short-to-medium distances (5-10ks)....so I'm certainly not anywhere near Antonio Brown levels of fitness but I'm also no couch potato.

My calf strain was a grade 2 (somewhere between 25% and 90% tear) so there's a big range there.  I've done twice-weekly physical therapy and daily PT exercises and stretched at home.  I've also gotten medical massage twice a week.  Having said that, it was 5 weeks before I was able to run at a sustained pace.  I'm now at 6.5 weeks since injury and have just begun light sprints and soccer-style drills (which I'm told by my PT is at least 2 weeks ahead of typical pace)

I didn't get an MRI so I'm not sure how extensive my tear was compared to what Brown sustained.  Having gone through this kind of injury and doing everything I could over the past almost-two-months to get back to healthy I'd be shocked if Brown is anywhere near 100%....IF he even plays next week.

@Dr. Dan is a sports medicine doc, if I recall correctly - maybe he has some thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
LordHusker said:
Sixth overall? There are five guys more valuable? Like who? I rate Brown more like No. 2.
1. Gurley

2. Kamara

3. Ingram

4. Bell

5. Brady

6. Brown

7. Brees

Now, a healthy Brown and he's perhaps top 3...

barackdhouse said:
The biggest question mark for me in my playoff pool is whether I think the Steelers will beat the Jaguars in the divisional. And if Brown plays at less than 100% will he be effective against that D? Will it matter? I am leaning towards the Steelers winning even without AB. I'm not crazy about this call but it's where I'm planting my flag. If Pitt wins just one game it will be worth rostering him and Bell. Certainly if they win 2 and get to the SB. 

But...calf injuries scare me a bit. Would it be crazy to go contrarian with Juju if I can only pick 1 WR from Pitt? Probably. In the end I'm in love with how good Brown is and want him on my playoff roster. I have to lock in the picks before wildcard kickoff, so there's not likely going to be any worthwhile news before then. Just have to roll the dice. 
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Brown #6 with a first round pick in a 6-team pool, or Juju coming in around #23 overall? You could reach for him end of round 3 or beginning round 4. I gotta feeling Juju, like Kamara, are guys most are targeting - exciting players. 

Correct! How deep will PIT go? Big Ben kinda wants revenge from JAX, then NE. PIT very well could represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Or, one and done?

I'm no doctor but I am currently recovering from a non-surgical calf tear I sustained playing indoor soccer.  Some quick background - I'm 40, play indoor soccer 3 times a week and run short-to-medium distances (5-10ks)....so I'm certainly not anywhere near Antonio Brown levels of fitness but I'm also no couch potato.

My calf strain was a grade 2 (somewhere between 25% and 90% tear) so there's a big range there.  I've done twice-weekly physical therapy and daily PT exercises and stretched at home.  I've also gotten medical massage twice a week.  Having said that, it was 5 weeks before I was able to run at a sustained pace.  I'm now at 6.5 weeks since injury and have just begun light sprints and soccer-style drills (which I'm told by my PT is at least 2 weeks ahead of typical pace)

I didn't get an MRI so I'm not sure how extensive my tear was compared to what Brown sustained.  Having gone through this kind of injury and doing everything I could over the past almost-two-months to get back to healthy I'd be shocked if Brown is anywhere near 100%....IF he even plays next week.

@Dr. Dan is a sports medicine doc, if I recall correctly - maybe he has some thoughts on this?
Nice insight Longtucky! Who would you rather have, Brown or Juju?

This is what we know today...

5. PIT - WR Antonio Brown healing quickly

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Gerry Dulac

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Antonio Brown (calf) is reportedly doing well in his rehab as he rehabs his partially torn calf muscle, according to head coach Mike Tomlin, who told reporters Tuesday, Jan. 2, that Brown would be listed as questionable if the Steelers had to play during the first weekend of the playoffs.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The Steelers have the no2 seed in the AFC, so they're resting this weekend. They'll play the highest seeded team that survives on Wild Card Weekend, and they should have Brown out there when they get back to football.

barackdhouse said:

Yep. That and Panthers/saints are tough calls.

1. Gurley

2. Kamara

3. Ingram

4. Bell

5. Brady

6. Brown

7. Brees

Now, a healthy Brown and he's perhaps top 3...
I have fournette higher but only because I'm probably wrong and think the jags beat the Steelers.

LordHusker said:
Sixth overall? There are five guys more valuable? Like who? I rate Brown more like No. 2.
He has one less game than a lot of guys.  Maybe two less.  And that two less might end up being zero total games if they don't advance without him.  Big impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown isn’t 100% and they’re playing one less game. On top of that, they’re probably not going to beat a Jags defense that is been ruthless all season.

Yep. That and Panthers/saints are tough calls.

I have fournette higher but only because I'm probably wrong and think the jags beat the Steelers.
If JAX wins you look good. Fournette and JAX D, and throw in Allen Hurns.

I see Fournette around #12-15 overall. If they win 2 or 3 games then Fournette was definitely a top 3-10 overall pick.

Nice insight Longtucky! Who would you rather have, Brown or Juju?

JuJu - he seems to be a big part of their offense even when Brown is playing.  With Brown less than 100% (or not even playing....or possibly not making it through the game) I could see JuJu garnering a bunch of targets
Well, if Brown was optimistic would that change your mind any? Click http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-antonio-brown-calf-playoffs-1218-story.html

Hey, our draft is in a little over an hour. We got 6th pick out of six. So, pick #6 and #7 will determine a lot of our direction. Both Bell and Brown seem to lingering around these spots. Some have Brown around #10. Soooooo.... assuming Brady, Kamara, Gurley, Ingram, Gronk (maybe) all go top 5, next comes Bell, Brown, Hunt, Brees, Thomas types. I see Brown falling to 6th spot easily and will be gone early in the second. 

Well, if Brown was optimistic would that change your mind any? Click http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-antonio-brown-calf-playoffs-1218-story.html

Hey, our draft is in a little over an hour. We got 6th pick out of six. So, pick #6 and #7 will determine a lot of our direction. Both Bell and Brown seem to lingering around these spots. Some have Brown around #10. Soooooo.... assuming Brady, Kamara, Gurley, Ingram, Gronk (maybe) all go top 5, next comes Bell, Brown, Hunt, Brees, Thomas types. I see Brown falling to 6th spot easily and will be gone early in the second. 
Yeah, hard to say.  I mean, players are always optimistic about their ability to heal/play through pain, etc.

I'd say he's a real risk/reward pick.  

Maybe another way to look at it...if he does play it's likely versus the Jags.  How would you feel about Brown at less than 100% versus Jalen Ramsey?

Yeah, hard to say.  I mean, players are always optimistic about their ability to heal/play through pain, etc.

I'd say he's a real risk/reward pick.  

Maybe another way to look at it...if he does play it's likely versus the Jags.  How would you feel about Brown at less than 100% versus Jalen Ramsey?
You gotta point. Shark moves both ways on this one. You pick him, he goes off, PIT wins the Super Bowl and Brown is the MVP.

You avoid him, he barely does anything, someone else's burden. I'm kinda leaning the latter right at this moment...

I appreciate the tag. Been MIA due to family stuff. 
Every injury is different. It's one of those things where it's difficult to be 100% certain without specifics. Anything significant would require some non weight bearing, boot, etc. Then gradual return to running. healing should be done at about 2-3 weeks and then it's a matter of easing back into activity. Any quick return would mean that he's either on something causing some super-human healing powers or he's just not 100% yet and he's at a risk for some long term injury. 

I appreciate the tag. Been MIA due to family stuff. 
Every injury is different. It's one of those things where it's difficult to be 100% certain without specifics. Anything significant would require some non weight bearing, boot, etc. Then gradual return to running. healing should be done at about 2-3 weeks and then it's a matter of easing back into activity. Any quick return would mean that he's either on something causing some super-human healing powers or he's just not 100% yet and he's at a risk for some long term injury. 

AB was injured a little more than 3 weeks ago, next Sunday will be 4 weeks.

As @Dr. Dan said every injury and person is different.  My tear was healed enough to start body-weight strength exercises in roughly 3 weeks but it was another 2 weeks before I was able to begin running (and by running I mean run 1-2 minutes, walk 3-4 minutes, repeat).  I couldn't do a full 30-minute uninterrupted run until almost the 6 week mark.  Played indoor soccer yesterday for the first time 7 weeks after injury and was probably at 80% effectiveness and had to sit out the last 15 minutes of the game.

Interestingly I saw an article a few days ago suggesting Brown was "running" on January 2nd based on an Instagram Live post he had put up of him on a treadmill.  I searched around and found this: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/watch-injured-wr-antonio-brown-starts-2018-off-treadmill-workout/

Notice he is not running, he is walking.  And doing so with a slight limp.  In an anti-gravity treadmill.  Keep in mind, while we don't know what setting the treadmill is on those devices can reduce body weight by up to 80%.

My guess is the guy plays but I'd be pretty shocked if he is anywhere near 100% effective.  Maybe he plays the decoy role to try and remove Ramsey from the equation and open things up for JuJu and Bryant?  Or, maybe he tries to push it and re-injures his leg?  All I'm saying is based on how things have gone for me from a similar injury I'm not putting Brown in any of my fantasy lineups this week.

I'm talking anatomically healing is done at 2-3 weeks. the physical healing. The rest is rehabilitation. as the healed tissue is not strong. 

A good example, a rotator cuff repair. Th person is typically immobilized without any active motion (passive only) for 3-4 weeks. After that they can move, but not all on their own, they do active assisted motion, progressing to active motion. Sure, most of the healing is done at 3-4 weeks so they can't really break the repair unless they do something really stupid or lift too much, but are they going back to sport? No. The tissue isn't strong enough yet. 

As @Dr. Dan said every injury and person is different.  My tear was healed enough to start body-weight strength exercises in roughly 3 weeks but it was another 2 weeks before I was able to begin running (and by running I mean run 1-2 minutes, walk 3-4 minutes, repeat).  I couldn't do a full 30-minute uninterrupted run until almost the 6 week mark.  Played indoor soccer yesterday for the first time 7 weeks after injury and was probably at 80% effectiveness and had to sit out the last 15 minutes of the game.

Interestingly I saw an article a few days ago suggesting Brown was "running" on January 2nd based on an Instagram Live post he had put up of him on a treadmill.  I searched around and found this: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/watch-injured-wr-antonio-brown-starts-2018-off-treadmill-workout/

Notice he is not running, he is walking.  And doing so with a slight limp.  In an anti-gravity treadmill.  Keep in mind, while we don't know what setting the treadmill is on those devices can reduce body weight by up to 80%.

My guess is the guy plays but I'd be pretty shocked if he is anywhere near 100% effective.  Maybe he plays the decoy role to try and remove Ramsey from the equation and open things up for JuJu and Bryant?  Or, maybe he tries to push it and re-injures his leg?  All I'm saying is based on how things have gone for me from a similar injury I'm not putting Brown in any of my fantasy lineups this week.
This.

I really don't think he plays this weekend IMO. He may and just gimp around the field, but there is some significant chance of a complete rupture. He might get like 10 snaps or something ridiculous. I'd be scratching my head if he came back 100% and played close to his normal snaps and was just as effective as he would be healthy. 

These guys use deer antler spray and other stuff to heal faster, so I am talking about a normal person. It's possible he is helped by the unlimited resources the NFL has to offer. 

I'm talking anatomically healing is done at 2-3 weeks. the physical healing. The rest is rehabilitation. as the healed tissue is not strong. 

A good example, a rotator cuff repair. Th person is typically immobilized without any active motion (passive only) for 3-4 weeks. After that they can move, but not all on their own, they do active assisted motion, progressing to active motion. Sure, most of the healing is done at 3-4 weeks so they can't really break the repair unless they do something really stupid or lift too much, but are they going back to sport? No. The tissue isn't strong enough yet. 

This.

I really don't think he plays this weekend IMO. He may and just gimp around the field, but there is some significant chance of a complete rupture. He might get like 10 snaps or something ridiculous. I'd be scratching my head if he came back 100% and played close to his normal snaps and was just as effective as he would be healthy. 

These guys use deer antler spray and other stuff to heal faster, so I am talking about a normal person. It's possible he is helped by the unlimited resources the NFL has to offer. 
He looks pretty good in these clips.  Now obviously this is much different than playing in a game but it gives me some optimism that he's healing faster than expected.

Antonio Running with Ochocinco

Antonio Brown returned to practice today:

Antonio Brown back to practice
Posted by Josh Alper on January 8, 2018, 1:52 PM EST

AP
Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has had three weeks to recover from the calf injury he suffered against the Patriots on December 17 and that was ample time for him to get well enough to return to practice on Monday.

Brown went through a practice session with his teammates for the first time since the injury. The Steelers won’t release a participation report for Monday’s practice, but there was some evidence of how Brown was moving around over the weekend.

Brown posted video of himself working out with former NFL receiver Chad Johnson and looked like he was moving well in the admittedly brief glimpse of on-field action.

The Steelers will not practice Tuesday and will return to work on Wednesday as they prepare to face the Jaguars on Sunday.

link

Yeah I'm not getting where the Steelers will probably not beat the Jaguars.   At best it is a pick'em game but more likely the Steelers will be favored by 3
I guess you didn’t watch them bend over Pittsburgh 30-9 in Pittsburgh. It should be easy to get why Pittsburgh should be an underdog.

I guess you didn’t watch them bend over Pittsburgh 30-9 in Pittsburgh. It should be easy to get why Pittsburgh should be an underdog.
Yep I saw it.    The opening line has the Steelers as 7 point favorites.

And I realize Vegas odds are set for betting.  I was just stating the Steelers won't be home underdogs to the Jaguars.

Users who are viewing this thread