What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Playoff Contest (1 Viewer)

By Round:

W/C - 11 Players going

Div - 13 Players going

CC - 7 Players going

SB - 13 Players going

Been to the SB in this contest before but always ended up with not enough (or the right players) going. 

EDIT: And of course I expect to probrably change this 172 times between now and Sat....already changed again to now 8,9,6,18!

Last edited by a moderator:
In all the years I've participated I don't think I've even got the super bowl teams right. :shrug: which is pretty much the first requirement. 
closest I came was having the 2 Conference Final losers on full lockdown.  Coulda won it all :kicksrock:

-QG

I still have a soft spot for Shane Vereen after he won me the contest a few years ago. Haven't come close since.

AFC Wildcard teams are just abysmal. I can't remember the last time I've seen four teams as bad as that in the playoffs. I prefer to pick wildcard teams to go to the finals for this contest for obvious reasons, but I just can't do it with the AFC.

Guessing the first round cutline is my nomination for 2nd most important thing after getting the two SB teams right.
Yeah, I'm really struggling with that right now. Last year, IIRC, it was pretty high because people had diverse teams, more so than in years past.  

I just noticed that you won this thing. I was looking at past winners and was like, "I recognize that name from the WSL/PSL/SSL drafts!" Congrats on getting through the first round with just 3 players playing.

For everyone else, this is his winning team: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/playoffcontest/2014/102673.php

Haha.  The way he got through the first round is scandalous.

The meta evolves though.   Last year the first round cut was quite high.

Guessing the first round cutline is my nomination for 2nd most important thing after getting the two SB teams right.
Well, each aspect is about equally critical. I'd phrase it differently, though: "guessing the least number of players you can survive round 1" is one of the critical steps, especially if the super bowl teams end up not being wild card teams. I only looked at the past 4 years, but you generally need to correctly predict at least one wildcard game and one divisional game in addition to predicting the super bowl teams. From the past 4 years, your team was the luckiest as far as fewest player per round. It was the only championship team with only 3 players in round 1 and 4 players in round 3 and you were tied for lowest in round 2.  And at least one of other the championship teams survived rounds 2 and 3 by about 1 point each.

91.90... much higher than the 3 years prior.
OOF. You're not only playing to guess the Super Bowl, you're hoping that other people don't just randomly select players anymore, I guess, unless last year was just an anomaly. 

Right now I only have LAR and Car going in the first round, and only two players from each team can be used. I'd better rethink this. Thanks.  

OOF. You're not only playing to guess the Super Bowl, you're hoping that other people don't just randomly select players anymore, I guess, unless last year was just an anomaly. 

Right now I only have LAR and Car going in the first round, and only two players from each team can be used. I'd better rethink this. Thanks.  
Yeah, if you've only got 4 players, 2 better be QBs and the other 2 better be the highest non-QB scorers on their team if round 1 is anything like last year.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tightrope walk.  Of course, you want to load up on Super Bowl players.  But, if 4000 entries have 2 or 3 players each from all the teams playing in wild card games, they can drive the cut line high enough to kill teams trying to scrape by with only  4 or 5 guys total in that week. 

Well, each aspect is about equally critical. I'd phrase it differently, though: "guessing the least number of players you can survive round 1" is one of the critical steps, especially if the super bowl teams end up not being wild card teams. I only looked at the past 4 years, but you generally need to correctly predict at least one wildcard game and one divisional game in addition to predicting the super bowl teams. From the past 4 years, your team was the luckiest as far as fewest player per round. It was the only championship team with only 3 players in round 1 and 4 players in round 3 and you were tied for lowest in round 2.  And at least one of other the championship teams survived rounds 2 and 3 by about 1 point each.
So you're saying taking all kickers and QBs isn't the smart path?

So you're saying taking all kickers and QBs isn't the smart path?
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to go against such a tried and true stategy. That's probably the exception to the rule. Fortune favors the bold.

Is it easy for you to see how many of those teams did not have R. Cobb?  He exploded in the first round last year.
No, but you're probably right that big games from him and Rodgers inflated last year's cut line. 

and he would have still made the cut with only 2 of them....

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to go against such a tried and true stategy. That's probably the exception to the rule. Fortune favors the bold.

No, but you're probably right that big games from him and Rodgers inflated last year's cut line. 
Yes, but the number of entires was also up.  Based on the number of entires in the season long contest being up this year, I would expect that trend to continue.

Biggest question for me at the moment is weighing Gronk against Lewis/Burkhead. That is until I change my mind on my SB teams.

Wanted to go with a NO/NE Super Bowl, but couldn't make the dollars work. So now I'm hoping for a Super Bowl rematch and a couple of Jax wins. 

Not sure if quantity is greater then quality

If I stick with what I have, I have 4 players that can score in the WC games, and 11 players total on my roster

A Pitt/Rams SB would be nice!

Do you try to outplay the oodles of people that will load up NE and MIN/NO, or cross your fingers for an upset?

Not sure if quantity is greater then quality

If I stick with what I have, I have 4 players that can score in the WC games, and 11 players total on my roster

A Pitt/Rams SB would be nice!
Sounds suspiciously like my roster. Guess we'll have to split 1st and 2nd prizes.

Is it just me or is the pricing significantly tighter than it’s ever been in the past. I’m stumped on where to even begin. 

(I LOVE this contest!)
I hate this contest.  Not very fun at all.  Hate the rules.  Almost don't even want to play since it's free I will throw in an entry but this is a pure luck contest you have to guess both the fantasy players that are going to make the SB and the players that will score enough pts to get you through the other 3 rounds.  

I hate this contest.  Not very fun at all.  Hate the rules.  Almost don't even want to play since it's free I will throw in an entry but this is a pure luck contest you have to guess both the fantasy players that are going to make the SB and the players that will score enough pts to get you through the other 3 rounds.  
Game of skill, Dez. Game of skill. 

;)

Nah, I love this contest. It keeps me rooting for fantasy stuff when my seasons are over. I love that the staff and owners run it.  

yeah. not enjoying much either. Unlike the regular season contest where I really enjoy working and re-working (and re-re-re-re-re-working) the roster, for this playoff contest, I just tried one or two options, ended up with a roster that has no kickers or Def, and said "Ah, good enough. I have no clue what I'm doing. Not worth it". Maybe I've run out of fantasy brain cells after this long season.

yeah. not enjoying much either. Unlike the regular season contest where I really enjoy working and re-working (and re-re-re-re-re-working) the roster, for this playoff contest, I just tried one or two options, ended up with a roster that has no kickers or Def, and said "Ah, good enough. I have no clue what I'm doing. Not worth it". Maybe I've run out of fantasy brain cells after this long season.
I'd agree here. After reworking my lineup many times really ended up coming back to my original one. And have no kickers or defenses either. Pricing seems to be really harsh this year. Makes it very hard to survive the 1st round and still load up on Super Bowl players. My guess is we'll see very little variation on the Super Bowl teams.

Game of skill, Dez. Game of skill. 

;)

Nah, I love this contest. It keeps me rooting for fantasy stuff when my seasons are over. I love that the staff and owners run it.  
I lovehate this contest. ;)  same reasons as both of you. I never expect to win anything but it's fun 

No D.Murray?
It is surprising that he's not even an option but he'd be a waste of money.

I'm contemplating just taking the teams I want to win even though it's extremely unlikely that the Panthers and Titans will make it. But it is SEC country... ;)

Good point.  I hate NCAA brackets too.  You have to guess the teams that make it to the national championship game and the teams that do well enough in the other 5 rounds.

This is actually a much easier contest to win than the regular season contest.  50%+ of the teams are drawing dead when the contest locks.

Users who are viewing this thread